Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illuminatingdonkey

How frequently do you guys string a day?

35 posts in this topic

So I've been stringing for about three or so months and I see people who's been stringing for as long as I have who are a MILLION times better than me, and that made me feel bad. But then,I realized that I really only get to practice about thirty minutes a day, and I got curious about how long you guys practice and if you guys have a certain agenda or routine for that day? It seems my learning curve has hit a long plateau and I can't seem to get anything new this week xD

dont worry about comparing yourself to others, when you see people who do way crazy stuff dont let it discourage you let it inspire you :)

as for me it depends on the time of year in the summer when i dont have school i string all the time, wake up and i string till i go out thne i come home and string till i go to sleep so in the summer like 4-6 hours a day. during school its diffrent, i string in 15- 30 min incriments usually through the day but ill still string for prolly about 2 hours minimum.

if you dont have time or a place to string something that helps me is to practice mentally, go over combos and stuff and see if you can think of anything new ( hard to explain but hopefully you get it i can explain further if not)

as for what i practice again it depends...

if its a "new move" then ill make sure i have hours set aside, if its just workin on combos or flow then its when ever

e.g right now im in school i woke up today and practiced a combo a few times then ate breakfast ... then posted on the forums instead of doin home work. FUUUUU

first off: DON'T FEEL BAD about your ability!! I see people who've been stringing for 6 months who know more moves (I'm not going to say "they're better than me" because comparing ability that way is completely subjective!) than me, and technically I've been stringing for over 3 years-- but I practice...once a week at most. at MOST. hahaha. And out of everything I know, I learned most of it in the first 6 months I was stringing, pushing myself and seeing people progress so quickly during their first few months, like you-- but eventually you learn to take it easy, stop comparing yourself to other people, & just go with it! :)

I practice all the time, I think maybe like 4-6 hours a day, weekends even more :D I think thats why I string like i do now being only a 7 month :)

And dont feel bad just practice and flow will come to you

I think for me glowsticking is almost like smoking is for a lot of people. Practicing has become this thing that I don't even think about it just happens. Not only that but it is very much a source of comfort for me. One minute I'm thinking about something, then next thing I know I have my strings out and am spinning. (I carry them in my pocket always.)

If I'm not doing something that specifically requires my hands I am probably stringing. But then again I have aspergers and am almost ocd about having to always be doing some kind of activity. No matter what I am doing I am at least thinking about improving at something.

As far as practice advice goes, I'd say always practice with dead sticks, (because you can use them at any time). And always keep a pair on you, so you can practice anytime you want. You'd be surprised how much time you can make for practicing when you do it anytime you're doing something that doesn't specifically prohibit you from stringing. It's gotten to the point with me that nobody I know even bats an eye when I pull out my sticks in the middles of telling a story or something and start practicing string manips or duowrap combos.

I think for me glowsticking is almost like smoking is for a lot of people. Practicing has become this thing that I don't even think about it just happens. Not only that but it is very much a source of comfort for me. One minute I'm thinking about something, then next thing I know I have my strings out and am spinning. (I carry them in my pocket always.)

If I'm not doing something that specifically requires my hands I am probably stringing. But then again I have aspergers and am almost ocd about having to always be doing some kind of activity. No matter what I am doing I am at least thinking about improving at something.

As far as practice advice goes, I'd say always practice with dead sticks, (because you can use them at any time). And always keep a pair on you, so you can practice anytime you want. You'd be surprised how much time you can make for practicing when you do it anytime you're doing something that doesn't specifically prohibit you from stringing. It's gotten to the point with me that nobody I know even bats an eye when I pull out my sticks in the middles of telling a story or something and start practicing string manips or duowrap combos.

I'm like that & my friends get sick of that but I love getting them tired of seeing :D

anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours depending on the day

(but always in increments, never nonstop practice)

and only if the mood feels right

some days the strings just don't cooperate and that's usually when you just

need to chill and take a day off from the art

Every day.. But I'd skipped a bunch of fundamentals, so I've got makeup work to do.

Like everyone has said, I practice in increments throughout the day XD Usually no more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time, but I probably do this 15 times throughout the day XD

And yeah, never compare yourself to other stringers, there's always someone better out there thats doing the new hard move or whatever.

I've never seen you string so I can't say what you should be practicing or whatever (if you should be practicing anything specific at all! Its all about having fun) , but when I was in that 3-5 month area I focused mainly on transitions between the moves I already knew and flow. I've been stringing for almoooost a year now and I think that that was the most beneficial time for me. Everyone's different though!

But yeah, glowsticking is definitely not about getting better or learning new moves or having more flow or whatever (at least for me). Just focus on having fun and doing what you like to.

Almost everyday but not so much with the intention of practicing but moreso the want to just getup and string.

i have my glowsticks in my pocket pretty much every single day. i string for about 5-10 mins a day but without the intention of making any crazy new moves =o

I just started about a week ago, but I spend about all of my free time stringing because I don't have much else to do. :P Amounts to 2 hours a day or so.

5 minutes per day on average because I'm just a super lazy and tired person :X

depends on when i'm feeling groovy :)

if i'm into music real deep, i'll string for a couple hours. if i'm not into music on the way home, i won't touch em. on average, about 6 hours a week.

This is me exactly. Even down to the Aspergers. You're like my kindred spirit. We need to meet up or something. :)

depends on my mood, if i'm in a good mood and my body not feeling tired, i practice at most 2-3 hours. but at regular i'm ok mood i string for 30mins a day

I practice at least 3-5 hours a day, and as far as what i practice, i mostly practice new moves or moves im not completely comfortable with. I say you should practice what ever you feel like you need to practice, only you know what you really need.

lol thread bumb something ive done before but forgot about until i started doing it again this year was eating and strining... since i usually eat alone ( foreveralone.jpg) i usually practice while im eating ill chew a mouth full of food practice for a few seconds till that mouthful is gone then repeat

Lately, only about 45 minutes..

I myself feel that I don't practice enough, but it's good to know that most people practice in various increments through out the day.

I think that process will work out much better for me than trying trying to practice for an hour or two at a time. :]

Maybe when I get better and feel more of a flow to my stringing I will be up to practicing for longer lengths of time.

it varies. some days i'll do a quick 20 minute practice. other times, like today, i'll practice for HOURS

maybe like an hour or so

i gotta step up my practice!!! =P

dont feel pressured to practice hours on end to get a move if you're blocked / frustrated or even bored with your flow / stringing its ok to put them down and pick them up later :)