Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tossrock

Inappropriate times for glowsticking.... videos

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, do you think there is a meaningful difference between glowsticking and glowsticking videos?

IE, are there situations where it might be appropriate/acceptable to show a glowsticking video, but not to actually glowstick?

By posting publicly viewable videos on sites like youtube, we essentially allow others to view glowsticking in whatever context they like, and surrender control over it. We might never glowstick in, say, a high school classroom, but it's out of our control if a high schooler, who knows nothing about glowsticking, finds a GSC video and plays it for his class. I think it seems clear that we wouldn't hold the person who uploaded the video responsible for that – if indeed there is any responsibility to shoulder. If the person showing the video were a GSCer, would we say they had violated the culture? Should we endeavor to stop glowsticking videos from being shown in situations where we wouldn't actually glowstick?

For some concrete examples, try answering the following questions:

Is it appropriate to show a glowsticking video:

- At a GSC meetup

- At a party where you are the only glowsticker, with no EDM/rave scene ties

- To a group of coworkers

- During a formal company meeting (say, you worked at Youtube and needed an example video)

- In a high school classroom

No matter what you think, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

highschool NO

highschool and glowsticking/stringing is like mixing a bullet and a head

it never ends in a good way

to everything else it's most likely alright as long as you explain it correctly because the people should be old and mature enough to understand

I wouldn't stick or string in school anymore, even though I used to practice out by the track on my off periods, however if it is not for the purpose of showing everybody in your school the art, and its for personal enjoyment/study and there isn't anything else you really have to do, I don't see a problem with watching gs.c videos in school.

gs.c meetup is super appropriate if a bit redundant however it reminds us why we are all together.

I have been the only person stringing at an event with no EDM ties, the culture doesn't necessarily have to stay in the genre, it just has its roots there

If you are at work then I say no the coworkers because work is for just that, work, not for sticking and videos

and as for a meeting on youtube, only if you are arguing for or against the "use of copyright material" (hopefully for >.<)

If it involves high school, it better be you and your close friends. Alone. At your house. This is totally ok.

GSC meetups almost seem like a perfect place.

A party, again, probably to people you know fairly well. It's best to avoid showing videos like that to a bunch of drunken high school tapout wearing douchebags. Just sayin'. Never ends well.

Coworkers, again, I only feel comfortable showing them if I know them fairly well.

Formal company meetings, I say, depend mostly on the company. If you worked for a glowstick company, then by all means. That's a weird one..

I'm not a GS.C veteran by any means, but I thought I'd share my opinion :P I may be wrong, but who knows.

If you think its questionable in the slightest just dont :P

Use common sense

If you think its questionable in the slightest just dont :P

Use common sense

Pretty much it right there. Just don't be dumb.