Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xetmath

Stringers Battle League

89 posts in this topic

First off, we don't hurt their pride on purpose, their pride gets hurt cuz their ego is too high when they bring it to the table. Second you CAN compare moves, if you think that we just use 3 beats and butterfly's your wrong. There is a clear distinction in what moves are difficult, and what moves are easy for most at least. Third when you lose a battle it doesn't mean that they are better than you, it just means that in those circumstances they won. We will not see eye to eye on this issue but I think that some of the people that read my posts will feel the same as me. You can;t tell people what they should or shouldn't do, well maybe you can but that doesn't mean that they are going to listen. Like I said before We extended the arm of friendship, and you guys slapped it away. I tried. We will never stop battling, but it is much different than what you think it is..and it is definitely not what it used to be. We collaborate, exchange ideas and concepts, love what we do, and above all else have fun with it. We are all good friends in Texas. For all you older gsc cats, IT HAS CHANGED.

When you lose a battle it doesn't mean that they are better than you, it just means that in those circumstances they won.

Sonik you're a great guy i know for sure but what you're saying here doesn't make sense bro..

Glowsticking is art and shouldn't be judged

By what circumstances does someone win if they're not first judged

The scene hasn't changed since you've entered it.

Battling has been around much longer than anyone of us

The difference between us is competition

From what I understand the battling community feeds on competition

That's fine competition forces people to work harder and get better...right?

So in the end you'll have people chasing to get to a peak... right?

What's the point??

I can extended my love to a fellow GSCer without criticism

Im sure you could do the same but is it really the same love?

no matter what you try to do with battling there's going to be divides..

no1 here's chasing anything we're fine where we are and grow together as 1

I'm usually good a persuasion but i don't do that anymore lol

be who you want and enjoy you're life

First off, let me say that I appreciate that you guys came here to try & explain your side of the debate in a level-headed way. Cleric will tell you (and laugh)-- I'm a mediator who doesn't like being directly antagonistic. I like getting along. But I also have a solid opinion that I'll stand behind. Now to the substance.

This is what gets shown the most as an example of: yes, physical fights do break out over glowsticking:

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/topic/3697-saving-texas/

Okay, so that was a while ago. I'm just making a point that yes, at one point in time, battling was an extremely divisive, destructive & aggressive force.

I lived in Dallas for six months, and I know for a fact that I didn't see the full extent of the Texas scene, so I completely acknowledge that times have probably changed somewhat. I appreciate that you guys session and encourage growth.

Like Tico and Foxfire, I still don't agree with the way you do it. At all.

I wouldn't even exist as a glowsticker if not for the non-combative ideals that GSC upholds. Why? I'm going to be the first to say that by technical glowsticking skill judgment based on a moveset (or by battling standards?), I'm a pretty average stringer. There isn't any recent footage of me stringing, but I'm basically competent-but-not-amazing.

I'm also a freehander (I do both, though I started out stringing), and correct me if I'm wrong, but most battling seems to involve pushing stringing.

In a battling environment, I'd long have been weeded out.

I advanced to the point that I did, here, where we can give & take feedback at all levels without feeling inferior to others. If you do feel inferior, like you said, then maybe someone was bringing too much ego to the table to the get-go. But this is a safe place to start. I don't feel like I have to prove myself or defend the fact that I can't do a wide array of behind the back moves. My moveset's all over the place. I'm okay, but I'm not doing straightjackets. I just string for the music & for fun. And that's completely fine. I can string in the same circles as my friends who are far more advanced than I am, doing 3 strings and handles and crazy mind-bending shit, and I won't feel like a total idiot.

They've all gotten to where they are through non-combative sharing & practice, sessions that don't have winners or losers, where no one has to be knocked down to be encouraged to work harder or get further. Just inspired. They advanced to where they are on their own terms.

Even though I'm not a brilliant, groundbreaking stringer, I can still teach. I understand the fundamentals; I understand the mechanics & dimensions behind moves. Even ones I can't do. I'm just speaking for myself. But I string to share the art, to express my music, and to preserve it in its current form. Why do there have to be absolutes for that to exist? Why do there have to be winners, losers, judges of ability, levels of talent?

Would there even be a place for casual self-expression in a battlers' circle, without the goal to constantly get better? Would you honestly think there was any point if someone wasn't trying to improve constantly?

we're not doing it for attention

This is really funny. Last time I checked, the point of a battle is to pull out all your difficult, flashy shit in order to upstage and one-up the other person. How is this not for attention? Or do you have secret one-on-one battles in the middle of the night that nobody else ever gets to see or hear about?

Art for art's sake. That is what GSC believes in. This site, as a whole, does not believe in using glowsticking as a means to an end, that being showing off to some tool kids. Your effort here is wasted, the core principles here are completely against your own.

Battling does not throw the culture under the bus.

It's true that battling, alone, does not throw the culture under the bus. What throws cultures and scenes under the bus is when too many people develop a mentality of having to be 'cooler,' 'better,' or 'above' others. Whenever any kind of culture catches that bug it is sure to lose authenticity and instead become associated with rampant bs and douchery. Those who are old enough to have seen this happen (not even in glowsticking, see: NY Club scene) know that shit like that is entirely unnecessary and takes away from the whole experience of the culture just so that a couple of people can get their ego rocks off.

I don't really expect something-teen year olds (which most battlers are) to understand what I'm talking about, and since you all refuse to take gsc's word for it, GSC wants nothing to do with you, because it already knows where your shit's heading.

I dont get the grow the fuck up comment....

Nobody does when it applies to them

-.-

everything that i was going to say about battling in respect to the culture has already been said. Whether its been it has changed or not battling and competition has no place on gs.c. because really thats pretty much the only rule of gs.c, no competition of any kind, battling, talent shows ect. I personally dont hate you guys, I just recognize your stance on battling as a difference of opinion. But again this is not an appropriate medium for people who support the stance that battling has a place in the scene, because this site is built on the principle of the opposite.

the two things that irk me the most is 1 that sonik youve been around for a while, and im going to assume you knew gs.cs stance on battling IMO you should have pmed an admin to talk to them one on one and this whole thing could have been avoided and if you still weren't satisfied then post to your hearts content and copy paste ur whole conversation. Not that im agains freedom of speech or anything but when ever i read threads like this i feel like im being trolled. unless you wanted this flame war to happen, which im going to assume you didnt.

2 all the members defending battlers on this site IF YOU BATTLE OR DISAGREE WITH GS.CS STANCE ON BATTLING AND COMPETITION THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE? ( again aside from sonik and the other battlers in this thread cuz im going to assume u posted in good faith) If you are a member and you disagree with the site rules or policies talk to an admin or someone about it like an adult, dont wait till some flame war erupts to stab everyone in the back. It seems like some of you actually like to contribute to the drama on this site.

Sonik & friend--

This is a common-interest/ shared-belief community. We are HERE because we believe in the same core beliefs and values.

If you are so confident in your beliefs and values, why do you feel the need to come and solicit them on GSC- a community with a common-interest directly opposite of yours? Are you seriously trying to convince people to start battling? Why are you even here?

No, I am not suggesting that everyone will battle, but we will eventually work together.

What do you mean by working together? To do WHAT. I glowstick for myself. not to impress anyone else with my OLOLrawmoves. I dance for ME dude. Nobody else. What would we ever work together to do?

And while you can't see it now, we are an evolution that will change our art and there is no running from it. I predict that GSC and battling scene will merge eventually.

nope. You have no idea how deeply rooted this site's values are.

No, I am not suggesting that everyone will battle, but we will eventually work together. Our concrete slab has been laid and we building nowhere but up. Yet the heart and soul of this structure will be the same of the GSC community and we are hoping that our communities will grow together now rather than later, even if we just persuade one member at a time.

You really don't understand why we support our core beliefs and values. You have been on GSC a whole week, and you obviously haven't read the culture forums. Please, even though you obviously won't agree with them, go read them. No, not to try and change your mind, but to help you realize why your suggestions are fruitless on this website!

Here, I'll map it out for you. http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/forum/81-glowsticking-culture/ Pick any article you'd like. Particularly "saving texas". Battling, and the competitive, and the "1-uping" vibe that it entails killed the unborn child of one of our members. I don't know about you, but I sleep perfectly fine at night knowing that my stance in the glowsticking scene hasn't killed anyone before. (I'm sorry Sparrow, but I had to bring it up. These guys won't read the article, and my hopelessly idealistic personality just won't let this go unnoticed.)

but our battle scene isn't the same as the battle scene your founders worked so hard to distinguish from.

so ... what. You come on here saying "ohhh battlers have changed, we're not hostile and stuff anymore...so let's be friends"... mmmkay, so if it has changed so fast, what is there to stop it from changing back in the future? How could you possibly think that there is incentive here for GSC make amends with you guys?

and another thing--- you're from Texas. I lived in Texas all of last year. I met your battler friends. I saw the scene and how it has become first hand.

... let me tell you. It's not like that anywhere else!! (maybe Tijuana? parts of Cali?) you guys are not in the center of the universe!!

... and the very least agree to disagree.

That is what we were doing before you came on the site. sooooo...

I've been doing it for over 10 years. .

if you honestly have been doing this art form for 10 Years, then you have had to come across this

The message is pretty straight foward at the end..

and you can honestly tell me that..... that video makes you want to battle

im not even going to Post the TT video.. cause its a waste of time.

Sure they have some pretty sick concepts.. but look what happened to them at the end...

The Guy who organized it " Shok" "if i remember correctly, GREW UP... and followed his dream of becoming a Videographer.

he doesnt have time for childish stuff like that anymore..

if you honestly want to battle each other.. Why not Pop... or lock.. or breakdance.... or go do that Poi Stuff..

why do you want to manipulate this art so much. do you really drive for attention this much?

No matter what we say to you, your still going to do it... so why are you wasting our precious time

Trying to convert some of our members into your little "Kool Kids Klub"

we have seen what Battling has done over the years..

Hurt people.... make people quit the scene... etc

Why do you think we have Rules.... to be cool?

No, its to keep order, to make sure the horrible stuff in the past doesnt happen again.

P.S i love how some to the Troll lurkers are finally having the balls to type or say something.... *kudos to you guys*

There are times where I really feel embarrassed to call myself a texas glowsticker.

Why?

Because of Austin/San Antonio.

The reason is simple. After being the Texas scene for a few years, you learn the truths behind the scene, and who's really there for what.

You can sit there and say "its totally fine here" to everyone on the internet, but i've seen it before my eyes. I've lived it. There is no love from competitors. There is no friendship from competitions, and I am DAMN sure there is no co-existence between battlers. Why? BECAUSE THATS WHAT BATTLING IS. FIGHTING FOR WHO IS BETTER.

Sonik, you came on here and explained yourself in a calm matter, and for that I thank you. I will say though that

I flat out do not agree with your beliefs. Not because im a "hardcore gsc-member" or things like that. Its because ive seen what battling does to people. It makes them a different person. For the worse. It turns them against their friends, and in the end they will only be left with themselves.

It shows outsiders that only the strong survive, and its all about whos got the coolest moves. You know what? Fuck. That.

You can sit there and explain that its level grounds and its okay for gsc, then why have I had people in my face wanting to battle me aggresively? Why have I had people try to jump into session circles? Why have I had people literally tell me they are better than everyone at this event?

There is a reason why I do not go to events in Austin anymore. Its because it has shifted. Austin is flat out a lost cause.

Dude, I just want to dance. I do it because Its my way of proving myself my existence, and that I am worth something in this life. Ive already had people tell me im worthless. Dancing for myself is all ive got when I need to escape. I dont need someone to force me to prove myself.

If you need to prove to people you are a better person then others by swinging glowsticks around, then you've already lost the battle.

if you honestly want to battle each other.. Why not Pop... or lock.. or breakdance.... or go do that Poi Stuff..
Please, no. Locking, breakdancing, fine; but don't go poisoning poi. The poi community is OK with talent shows, money, so forth, but they do not have battles or tournaments or anything of that sort so far as I have ever been aware. And I'd prefer to keep it that way.

First off, we don't hurt their pride on purpose, their pride gets hurt cuz their ego is too high when they bring it to the table. Second you CAN compare moves, if you think that we just use 3 beats and butterfly's your wrong. There is a clear distinction in what moves are difficult, and what moves are easy for most at least. Third when you lose a battle it doesn't mean that they are better than you, it just means that in those circumstances they won. We will not see eye to eye on this issue but I think that some of the people that read my posts will feel the same as me. You can;t tell people what they should or shouldn't do, well maybe you can but that doesn't mean that they are going to listen. Like I said before We extended the arm of friendship, and you guys slapped it away. I tried. We will never stop battling, but it is much different than what you think it is..and it is definitely not what it used to be. We collaborate, exchange ideas and concepts, love what we do, and above all else have fun with it. We are all good friends in Texas. For all you older gsc cats, IT HAS CHANGED.

Ah, so if someone shoots me, it isn't their fault, but mine because I stepped into the path of the bullet? I don't think you only use 3 beat weaves and butterfly's, I used them as an example to back up a previous statement. This isn't a weird thing to do, it's normal in, well, any discussion or debate.

So the winning battler is not better then another person, but he did win. Winning means that you are victorious, and that you defeated the other person. To defeat the other person, you have to be better then him/her at the time of the battle.

I don't tell people what to do, but I try to convince them that our way of doing things holds more merrit then yours. Also, saying that you can't tell people what to do and than starting to say how we should work together with you lot is sort of hypocritical to say the least.

As for the whole "IT HAS CHANGED" part, a small group may have, but from what I hear, the vast majority hasn't.

I'd like to end this post by saying that I did not join this website with the intention of being the cool kid in class who is a glowstringer. Heck, I did not stay a member for over two years without being able to go to raves or have meet-ups with a lot of other glowstickers just to change my views because some kid comes telling a story how supposedly battling all of a sudden has become a friendly thing.

Cheers

Ok, now kevin, you got to meet spade and elicit right? How did they come off to you? Did they come off as violent dooshes?? And I have no need to pm an admin because this is what I stand for and am not ashamed to do so. I'm sorry that you feel like I'm trolling you, I'm not.

Lectra, why are you so condescending to me?? It's an art for us too, it's just different. Life is diverse otherwise it could not proliferate. I don't do it for the attention, most of the time it's just me and my fellow stringers, I hate the spotlight. Then you say tool kids?? Your passing judgement on people that you don't even know and have never met, simply because of a slight difference in opinion. Then you say teenagers?? I'm 27 and everyone that I know who competes is not a teenager, this statement highlights that you have this idea of what we are that is incorrect. We conduct ourselves professionally as adults should. The NY club scene, it's teddy glow right? That causes all the problems? It's not battling that causes this. What you should be saying is that teddy and his idiot friends always try to fight or cause problems and work against the unity of what we do. To get their ego rocks off?? This might have been the way it was but it's not the way it is now. Do I sound egotistical?? I realize that I know nothing and try to stay a humble and planted as possible. Then you say that grow up applies to me? I'm trying to build a positive relationship between the 2 of us. Does that sound like the actions of a child? Do my words sound like the words of an immature little brat??? I came at you guys peacefully and will continue to do so in the future.

Lira, what happened to aaron is tragic sickly tragic and those bastards got what they deserved. Im not even going to act like I know what that's like because I don't. Now it seems that you think that we only battle and that's it. This isn't true we session and exchange ideas just like you do. It's not all about competition. When they do go down it's normally a rare occurrence and normally doesn't last more than an hour then we go back to just chillin and practicing like we always do. It's not combative at all. And will NEVER return to the old way, I will not allow it. Believe me when i say that I have a great deal of control over this. I'm sonik, not that that means anything but to all these kids that I teach it does. It is important to teach the right ideas so that the corruption doesn't make it's way into the value of whatever your trying to accomplish. If you teach from the start that it doesn't have to be that way and they have a choice it wont. Give someone the oppurtunity to do the right thing and 99 percent of the time they will take it. You wouldn't have been weeded out. If you didn't want to compete don't. I would still teach you, and look at you no different. Equal in every regard as I do for everyone else that I encounter who strings. I get inspired, all of us do, we're not some evil heartless entity that's trying to breed conflict. The bttlers circle and performing are not the same. In the circle there is judgement, outside of it there is none, and we subject ourselves to it willingly.

Patrick, ironic that my name is patrick too...okay it is an art, but no matter what level or what circle you are in when you post a vid it's being judged, and criticized no matter what. There is no exception. Painting is art, but when an artist trys to sell his painting it is being judged. Judged in the sense that they like it if they buy it . the scene here has changed..alot. thanks to the hard work and presentation of the correct ideals by a few individuals who will keep pushing this until they kill us for it. We do not feed on competition, we feed on learning and knowledge, battling is a very small part of what goes on here. Most of the time we just session, sometimes we call eachother out and battle. There is no peak. There are no limits to what the mind can bring into reality. It is the same love, there is only one love. No matter what the means to acheive it. There is no criticism outside of the battle. We learn together, teach together, win and lose together. There are no divides. We love the same thing. I wish you could see the way it is now, because it is not the way it used to be. I'm not talking about SA, I'm talking about Austin, because that is where the future of our scene resides. SA was indeed corrupt, and they payed dearly for it. vanished like ghosts. Only a few remain, and those that do are awake because of what they lost and want to try and remedy this situation. I'll never stop in this endeavor.

That was long, holy crap.. Battling can be civilized and is civilized where I come from and will stay that way. Like I said neither side is going anywhere, we should find a way to coexist. Technically we are coexisting right now. We will never try to get in the way of what you want to accomplish out of respect. I am humbly requesting the same courtesy. I welcome you if you are ever in Austin hit me up we'll session and party at Karma. I work there it's stringer hq has been for like 4 years. Anyone of you is always welcome in my house.

Please, no. Locking, breakdancing, fine; but don't go poisoning poi. The poi community is OK with talent shows, money, so forth, but they do not have battles or tournaments or anything of that sort so far as I have ever been aware. And I'd prefer to keep it that way.

i only mention poi, because of that one guy, Poiboy something. came here a few months ago, babbling about how a little comp, wouldnt hurt anyone..

It's not all about competition. When they do go down it's normally a rare occurrence and normally doesn't last more than an hour then we go back to just chillin and practicing like we always do.
An *hour*? SRSLY?

Anyway, that's not the point... If, as you say, battles are rare, then I return to my previous suggestion: a simple change in terminology would help *a lot*. Just don't call yourselves a frickin' *BATTLE LEAGUE*! Removing the offending words, or at least ensure that they're not associated with us via youtube or whatever, and you remove much of the offense.

Then, if the occasional battle still happens, whatever, we don't have to care, 'cause we won't see it, nobody will know about it, it won't affect us or anyone else. You can go ahead and do your thing and nobody will bother anybody.

And if, eventually, you want a closer relationship with GSC than just co-existence, then continue the reform you've already started, and teach those kids that they don't *need* to battle even as much as they do now. If it gets out of their systems over time, then we can all be one big happy family. If it doesn't, we can just be content with ensuring that that bit of indiscretion is not publicized.

Ah, so if someone shoots me, it isn't their fault, but mine because I stepped into the path of the bullet? I don't think you only use 3 beat weaves and butterfly's, I used them as an example to back up a previous statement. This isn't a weird thing to do, it's normal in, well, any discussion or debate.

So the winning battler is not better then another person, but he did win. Winning means that you are victorious, and that you defeated the other person. To defeat the other person, you have to be better then him/her at the time of the battle.

I don't tell people what to do, but I try to convince them that our way of doing things holds more merrit then yours. Also, saying that you can't tell people what to do and than starting to say how we should work together with you lot is sort of hypocritical to say the least.

As for the whole "IT HAS CHANGED" part, a small group may have, but from what I hear, the vast majority hasn't.

I'd like to end this post by saying that I did not join this website with the intention of being the cool kid in class who is a glowstringer. Heck, I did not stay a member for over two years without being able to go to raves or have meet-ups with a lot of other glowstickers just to change my views because some kid comes telling a story how supposedly battling all of a sudden has become a friendly thing.

Cheers

[/quote

"Sigh" your two years is miniscule....and I'm not some kid telling a story. I'm a 27 year old man speaking the facts. You say from what you hear it hasn't changed?? From where?? You've never been to Austin or seen how it is so how can you be so hasty in your assumptions? And I did not tell gsc that we should work together, I was asking. If someone wins It doesn't mean they are better, I have lost battles to stringers that I had more knowledge than. It all depends on the moment. In that moment they won. Sometimes you forget moves, haven't trained like you should there are many factors involved..

Ok, now kevin, you got to meet spade and elicit right? How did they come off to you? Did they come off as violent dooshes?? And I have no need to pm an admin because this is what I stand for and am not ashamed to do so. I'm sorry that you feel like I'm trolling you, I'm not.

Yeah i met spade and elecit, and thats a perfect example of how talking to people can actually be constructive. They know im cool with them, they also know i dont battle, they are also cool with me. I didnt call anyone a violent douche in my post, i dont think you are a violent douche i dont even know you. All i said was that given that you probably knew what gs.c stood for before you posted you probably could have predicted the outcome. However i also said i believed ur postwas in good faith ie you had good intentions. My point was that as long as you compete using glowsticks in any form gs.c isnt a place for you because thats not what the site believes in. In the same way that you wouldnt go to a church group and try to defend atheism. Im not even trying to argue cultural values, im merely asking you to provide us with the same respect which you wish to have so badly.

An *hour*? SRSLY?

Anyway, that's not the point... If, as you say, battles are rare, then I return to my previous suggestion: a simple change in terminology would help *a lot*. Just don't call yourselves a frickin' *BATTLE LEAGUE*! Removing the offending words, or at least ensure that they're not associated with us via youtube or whatever, and you remove much of the offense.

Then, if the occasional battle still happens, whatever, we don't have to care, 'cause we won't see it, nobody will know about it, it won't affect us or anyone else. You can go ahead and do your thing and nobody will bother anybody.

And if, eventually, you want a closer relationship with GSC than just co-existence, then continue the reform you've already started, and teach those kids that they don't *need* to battle even as much as they do now. If it gets out of their systems over time, then we can all be one big happy family. If it doesn't, we can just be content with ensuring that that bit of indiscretion is not publicized.

I'm not changing the name, and I didn't associate gsc with anything. I don't see where the offense is?? Battle is just a word. The images that you conjure up are of your own doing. You don't have to care anyways. Battling doesn't even affect you or anyone unless they step up. I do teach them that they don't have to battle, they want to willingly because they like it. They like the brotherhood . It's not going to "get out of there systems" I call it battle league because thats what it is. We have double elimination to win ledz and the number 1 spot as far as we know. Not saying that they are the best, just the best among us. You can't stop it no more than we can stop you, and that is not the goal. The goal is to help one another. I want to help gsc by posting up some moves that you might not have seen, gsc doesn't even have to help us, just don't portray us in a way that is untrue and unfair. Judge a man by the content of his character...if every battler that you came across shared the same views as me would that even slightly alter your view?? If so then you need to see how we are In atx beacuse we are all like this. The mistakes of the past are resonating still and the aftermath is affecting those who had nothing to do with it.

Yeah i met spade and elecit, and thats a perfect example of how talking to people can actually be constructive. They know im cool with them, they also know i dont battle, they are also cool with me. I didnt call anyone a violent douche in my post, i dont think you are a violent douche i dont even know you. All i said was that given that you probably knew what gs.c stood for before you posted you probably could have predicted the outcome. However i also said i believed ur postwas in good faith ie you had good intentions. My point was that as long as you compete using glowsticks in any form gs.c isnt a place for you because thats not what the site believes in. In the same way that you wouldnt go to a church group and try to defend atheism. Im not even trying to argue cultural values, im merely asking you to provide us with the same respect which you wish to have so badly.

We are providing you with respect, yes I did predict the outcome, and sadly it went exactly as expected. I wasn't even a member until gsc started hatin on us. We weren't bothering you, and then someone felt that it was important enough to make it a subject of interest. Yes you wouldn't preach atheism in a church, but this a horrible example, ever heard of the crusades? Countless wars and genocide has been carried out because one group could not accept the views of another group. In this day and age people are learning to accept one another regardless of differences or religious preference. Is it so difficult to imagine putting aside our difference in the way we string? I am very glad this conversation is happening. It had to start somewhere.

Alright Im gonna give this a shot but I have a feeling I'm going to get banned for it. I am Sonik, I am the founder of stringers battle league. I did this because in tx we like to battle, and I'm trying to get rid of the negative stigma associated with it. I understand why all of your viewpoints are the way they are. In the beginning gsc and battling could have coexisted and we could have learned alot from one another, but back then I think we had the wrong ambassadors to represent each side. Now tx has a new ambassador, and we CAN coexist and learn from one another. I know that you guys got talked down on alot by battlers and you have seen some questionable things happen at battles, but the problem is not battling. Battling is just a thing, it doesn't think or breathe, or hate. People do. If you were verbally abused or insulted by anyone that battles it was the person at fault, not battling. We are no different from you, we share the same love. In atx we battle and some of my greatest friends I have thanks to it. There is no drama, no violence, maybe a little hurt pride every now and then but that's as far as it goes, and pride is good for nothing. There are always going to be bad apples. Some are really bad, but it wasn't battling that made them that way, the things that happened to them in their life are what shaped the person that they are. We love some of the gsc stringers that we see, but the second that we mention battles the wall goes up. Help us tear it down, because walls are built to divide not unite. Yes it is an art, for both sides. We love it too, we just do it different. Yes no one is any better than anyone else. BUT there are some who may possess more knowledge than others, and to deny this is ignorant. We accept all of you with open arms. You don't have to accept us but it would be nice, and we would get to our goal faster together. Whatever that goal may be.

I am from Texas and know and party with people who are most happy not battling. I will NOT have this state lumped as one big battler territory because its not. You dont have to battle, you can share ideas without the negative vibes of battling. I remember at edc there was one guy staring at our group like a hungry wolf. I was told he was a battler and since then became even more sure thay I didn't want to associate or be associated with those people. That's why i started the thread helping Texas out, I want to get rid of the stupid negative stigma that all or most Texas members are doomed to the way of battling. To me its idiotic. How are they judged, who judges? You can't compare style. Just how "difficult" the moved are.

I am from Texas and know and party with people who are most happy not battling. I will NOT have this state lumped as one big battler territory because its not. You dont have to battle, you can share ideas without the negative vibes of battling. I remember at edc there was one guy staring at our group like a hungry wolf. I was told he was a battler and since then became even more sure thay I didn't want to associate or be associated with those people. That's why i started the thread helping Texas out, I want to get rid of the stupid negative stigma that all or most Texas members are doomed to the way of battling. To me its idiotic. How are they judged, who judges? You can't compare style. Just how "difficult" the moved are.

What negative vibes are you referring to?? You were told he was a battler, but did you verify?? Or just take someones word and assume without facts and reasoning behind it? To you it's idiotic, to us it is not. They are judged by creativity, flow, originality, and technical skill. The people judge, or if it's live you are judged by your peers and an unbiased outside judge who has a good standing knowledge of what stringing entails. You can compare the level of one style to the level of another. Helping Texas out?? By spitting on what we believe in because it is different from your way...your not helping Texas at all. I'm a fellow texan and your stepping on me because I like to battle. We aren't flaming you because you do not battle...this will never end until there is a proper resolution.

What negative vibes are you referring to?? You were told he was a battler, but did you verify?? Or just take someones word and assume without facts and reasoning behind it? To you it's idiotic, to us it is not. They are judged by creativity, flow, originality, and technical skill. The people judge, or if it's live you are judged by your peers and an unbiased outside judge who has a good standing knowledge of what stringing entails. You can compare the level of one style to the level of another. Helping Texas out?? By spitting on what we believe in because it is different from your way...your not helping Texas at all. I'm a fellow texan and your stepping on me because I like to battle. We aren't flaming you because you do not battle...this will never end until there is a proper resolution.

I did verify because I saw the same guy battling down at basspod that same night. And as for helping Texas out it promotes teaching people that have only been taught that you can battle otherwise. I for one stand for stringing freehanding whatever you like purely for expression of yourself and for the music. Battling also goes against what so many say is dead, peace love unity and respect. If your battling for the top spot there is no unity or peace. It suddenly becomes all about the competition. I've seen these battles, and there can what seems like respect because the "loser" has to give it to the "winner" bottom line, you aren't going to change anyones mind on battling, in any odds. We choose not to battle and we don't like being told our views are wrong when all we are trying to do is preserve the rave and glowsticking cultures the way they were. We don't go out of our way to stop those who have opposing views, only that they don't come here and start preaching at us as to why we are elitist, when we are not, we just follow a different code of morals than others. Are we against battling. Yes. Do we do what we can to teach people new to the culture who come here first that battling is wrong in our eyes. Yes, and all we ask is that people respect our views. But when someone, in this case you, comes and challenges one of our highest views we are going to retaliate.

Your right. You all are. I may have been taking this a little too personally, and I apologize for any of that. I am very passionate about what we do. basically, we have no problem with gsc, lol. That was the moral of this whole long discussion. I have no right to challenge any of your views either. We do love to compete though, that will not change. If gsc will allow it some of us would like to contribute some moves. Vids will be out soon. No references to battling, just some concept tutorials. Hopefully that will be the end of this. Thank you for your time and sharing your views with me.

As far as I know, videos not referencing battling but for spreading and pushing the art are welcome, unless one of the mods has a problem with it, and I too would like to apologize for being perhaps too hard or rough, as I too take my art very seriously.

Soniksizeme, when I said "some kid" I was not commenting on age, I was commenting on mentality. Glowsticking to see who is better at it is a childlike mentality in my opinion. So sorry if it came across as a personal attack, it was not meant as such.

As for how I know about Austin when I've never been there I'll say this: "one need not eat a donut to know that it is sweet". I've seen various vids from that scene, most of them were linked by members from here, and others were on the related vid. As far as I can remember, all of them (except those of GSC members) were either battle vids, crew vids, or choreographed routines done on stage. Couple this with the numerous stories I hear here on GSC, they are more then enough to form a decent opinion on the Austin scene.

Concerning the "no offence" in the vid: you tagged glowsticking.com in it and that is an offence to us because we don't condone battles or crews.

As for your comment on my two years as a glowsticker being miniscule. I am a student at University level, I do my research on subjects before I talk or write about them so don't start using the I'm older and have more experience argument. It might work with the dumb un-educated masses, not with me.

Cheers