Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xetmath

Stringers Battle League

89 posts in this topic

Lmao yeah dude, that feature is pretty redic. And lmfaoooo, Personally this seems all for stupid attention, why create a facebook group, etc. sounds like people just want attention drawn to them.

Maybe i should make another Video blog,

so that troll Larky can come out of his cave, and make a Dubstep remix of my V Blog, =x

sorry.. i had to.

cause i bet the Kool Kidz Klub are all over this as well.....

Lol, lost me on that one, though i havent heard from that dude in years.

he made one of those generic youtube remix videos of one of his videos like a true original video artist

maybe we should take down the Youtube link for now... they dont deserve the Views....

I'd just like to apologize for bringing this to people's attention because it seems to have blown up and caused a bunch of drama. I did not mean to "call people out." I was just utterly confused as to why GSC members were in this group. Even if someone adds you, you can leave the group. People got way more butthurt over this than they should have. If you're ashamed to be in a group like this then don't be. Bottom line.

maybe we should take down the Youtube link for now... they dont deserve the Views....

I agree

Alright Im gonna give this a shot but I have a feeling I'm going to get banned for it. I am Sonik, I am the founder of stringers battle league. I did this because in tx we like to battle, and I'm trying to get rid of the negative stigma associated with it. I understand why all of your viewpoints are the way they are. In the beginning gsc and battling could have coexisted and we could have learned alot from one another, but back then I think we had the wrong ambassadors to represent each side. Now tx has a new ambassador, and we CAN coexist and learn from one another. I know that you guys got talked down on alot by battlers and you have seen some questionable things happen at battles, but the problem is not battling. Battling is just a thing, it doesn't think or breathe, or hate. People do. If you were verbally abused or insulted by anyone that battles it was the person at fault, not battling. We are no different from you, we share the same love. In atx we battle and some of my greatest friends I have thanks to it. There is no drama, no violence, maybe a little hurt pride every now and then but that's as far as it goes, and pride is good for nothing. There are always going to be bad apples. Some are really bad, but it wasn't battling that made them that way, the things that happened to them in their life are what shaped the person that they are. We love some of the gsc stringers that we see, but the second that we mention battles the wall goes up. Help us tear it down, because walls are built to divide not unite. Yes it is an art, for both sides. We love it too, we just do it different. Yes no one is any better than anyone else. BUT there are some who may possess more knowledge than others, and to deny this is ignorant. We accept all of you with open arms. You don't have to accept us but it would be nice, and we would get to our goal faster together. Whatever that goal may be.

I am a jaded glowsticker.

I remember a day when you were here or there. Not some in between bullshit.

People had views that were pro or against. Not some wishy washy nonsense where they could play both sides of the fence.

This new generation hates to make decisions and draw lines in the sand. The only decision they want to make is no decision, so they have freedom of movement.

I'm sorry I believe in something. My GSc friends who I am still friends with believe in something.

I'm getting too old and tired for this nonsense. All I see is people becoming more and more lax in holding any true values to their heart and just going along with whatever everyone else is doing.

[15:13] xetmath: I agree that battling is a negative thing still. But it is the people that screw stuff up.

[15:14] xetmath: Its the people's mind set that ruin everything

[15:14] cleric: guns dont kill people

[15:14] cleric: people kill people

[15:14] cleric: using...

[15:14] cleric: battling doesnt ruin scenes and glowsticking

[15:14] cleric: people ruin scenes and glowsticking

[15:14] cleric: using...

[15:14] xetmath: i just wish we could unite in some way on level of understanding

[15:15] cleric: it's called grow the fuck up

[15:15] cleric: get a real job

[15:15] cleric: go to college

[15:15] cleric: and realize

[15:15] cleric: how childish

[15:15] cleric: that shit is

[15:15] xetmath: hm...

[15:15] xetmath: well good thing i'm going to college in a week ;D

[15:15] cleric: realize you dont want to compete with glowsticks

[15:15] cleric: when you are competing to get a job

[15:15] cleric: and get ahead of people in your school

[15:15] cleric: real life shit

[15:15] cleric: it's called grow the fuck up

[15:16] cleric: its a shame

[15:16] cleric: that some of us even in HS

[15:16] cleric: were smart enough to realize this shit

[15:16] cleric: and never saw the point

[15:16] cleric: to even defend battling

Fuck your representatives from back in the day. You think because you can string more then 3 words together in an intelligent sentence that we should take you anymore seriously. The whole website representing what you guys was about was used to torture people in fucking Guantanamo because reading it for longer then 5 minutes cause fucking aneurisms. Your representation was a whole site of stupidity.

No matter how much we say this site isn't about that. You guys want to keep bringing it here.

:inmyopinion:

Thank you for attempting to reach out and explain where you guys are coming from. Perhaps we are a little quick to judge people who support battles, but that is where we come from as a culture. I agree that battling itself doesn't make someone a bad person, but it definitely shapes how someone first seeing glowsticking thinks of the art. I personally can't see anything to be gained from battles that can't be gained from hanging out and sharing ideas without the competitive vibe.

Like you yourself said, some people walk away with hurt pride. This is only part of the stigma that is battling. While you're caught up in battling, people watching who don't glowstick get the wrong idea and either want to start glowsticking for external approval or get intimidated and decide that that's something they could never do that well so why bother. If the same bystander saw you glowsticking alone or having a fun session with a friend they might be more inclined to approach you.

The difference is that any form of competition makes you less relaxed about whatever it is you're doing because you feel pressured to do well instead of just having fun. This difference is apparent to people watching. Do you glowstick because you have fun doing it or do you do it to be better and cooler than other people?

ya know what... on second thought... do whatever the fuck you kids want.

I'd rather remember the glory days of being on a website where you knew everyone you interacted with had the same core beliefs and values as you. It was a community of people who were more like family then any other site. We fought and made each other bleed but at the end of the day we still agreed on the base things and would eventually come back together.

You new cats who dont want to make a decision disgrace me.

i'm out. PEACE

For the record, any gsc members that are on this asked to join, and I added them. I don't understand why you guys look down on it so much. Battling is not a moral issue at all. We are all good people who live in reality, and work hard, we're people just like you. I don't see how it's sketchy that I make ledz and battle, we're not doing it for attention, we're doing it because some people like to battle, and they might not be in tx so we can still session and compete and interact without having to actually be there. I dont get the grow the fuck up comment....some really creative things and concepts result from competition. Yes there is pressure, but if your in front of a crowd stringing the pressure is there whether your battling or not. I LOVE stringing, not like, LOVE!! So much that I've been doing it for over 10 years. There's all this hate coming from here now, we're trying to be friends, not enemies. For the intimidation thing, I teach relentlessly. Every person in atx who wants to learn I teach, when they get discouraged I'm there to help them learn. I am not trying to use gsc as a resource, this is one of the only times that I've ever been on this site. Battling does not throw the culture under the bus. Maybe some places are like talking to a brick wall, but you've never tried to come to atx. If you did we would session just like any other place.

Alright Im gonna give this a shot but I have a feeling I'm going to get banned for it.
Doubtful. We may not agree with you, but at least you're being civil about it. That frankly surprises me, given the way these sorts of things have gone in the past, and so you will forgive if the influence of past experience causes some of us to come across as rather hostile, but it's a good surprise.

Battling is just a thing, it doesn't think or breathe, or hate. People do. If you were verbally abused or insulted by anyone that battles it was the person at fault, not battling.
A philosophically valid argument, but it kind of misses the point. Sure, guns don'y kill people, people kill people, but it's still a bad idea to hand out loaded guns to unsupervised teenagers. Let us admit that battling is not inherently bad, but it creates an environment that is much more conducive to people acting badly.

We love some of the gsc stringers that we see, but the second that we mention battles the wall goes up. Help us tear it down, because walls are built to divide not unite.
You know why the walls go up? Because you're putting it there with that very word. When you say 'battle', everyone thinks 'conflict, fight, negativity'. And this is not something that you can solve just by explaining to other glowstickers what the term means to you; this is not just a matter of in-group jargon, because it impacts the whole surrounding society. You say you want to remove the stigma from battling; well, GSC wants to remove the stigma from *glowsticking*. We work hard to cultivate an acceptable image that reflects what we're really about. Now, I get the impression here that you're trying to do the same, and doing so in good faith, but when you call it 'battling', you help to destroy that image.

There are arts and subcultures in which 'battling' is appropriate, though frequently it is not actually called that. The obvious example is just about any martial art; you must spar, because sparring is the *point*. But in those cases, there is always a very strict cultural order surrounding the activity to ensure that it is done properly and does not get out of hand. Glowsticking does not have a tradition like that, and we don't want to give it one. There is no need for it, because glowsticking is not *about* competition; anything of the sort is just tacked on after-the-fact. We prefer to let anyone stand on their own as much as they wish, because this is a dance, for fun, not a discipline.

I'm sure there will still be plenty of consternation over the basic fact of what you like to do, partly for reasons I just described and partly just due to accumulated stigma, but perhaps *some* of the PR problem at least could be fixed with less antagonistic terminology.

Unfortunately, your (and by this I mean the group, as I don't know about *your specific* involvement, personally) attempts to act unilaterally have also somewhat retarded the wall-removal process. It's great if you want to try to build bridges, but things like tagging us in your videos without permission, etc., just create more offense. That's not the sort of thing you can do until you *already have* some mutual agreement. Thanks for the clarification on the Facebook thing.

Yes no one is any better than anyone else. BUT there are some who may possess more knowledge than others, and to deny this is ignorant.
Implying that we so deny is also ignorant. Everybody's got someone else they look up to. But we don't need battles to highlight it for us. That's why we post videos and have meet-ups and share with each other.

You don't have to accept us but it would be nice, and we would get to our goal faster together. Whatever that goal may be.
If you don't know what it is, you'll never get there.

Battling does not throw the culture under the bus.
Oh, how little you understand.

I may not be quite as forceful about it, but I'm pretty much with Cleric on this one. We can't stop you from doing whatever the heck you want, but basically, either your for it or against, and there is no middle ground. You wanna build bridges, you gotta get rid of the competitive component of your scene. We're not going to reach out for that.

Cleric, why are you so hateful?? You say people have to pick sides?? There should be no sides. We are on the same team. We are both human, and I'm sure we strive for the same things, to excel at what we love, to be a good person. We are both human. Then you insult me. I'm not going to reciprocate that hate. I'm trying to appeal to your logic and reason, this is like racism and segregation. Like fighting a war over what god you believe in. We all have values that we hold dear just like you do. We are equals, or at least that's the mentality that I'm trying to spread. Drawing a line in the sand??? We could all be on the same side of the sand as friends facing the same direction. We are all pulling in different directions, when we should be pulling in the same direction. Not everyone is going to share the same ideas, this is a part of life that will never go away.Appeal to reason, gsc isnt going anywhere, and battling isn't going anywhere, so instead of trying to divide everyone just because they do or don't, why don't we ALL try and find a good working way to coexist.

and the website that your referring to that was used to torture people I am not associated with. "Hey check out this move that I just learned" "NO FUCK YOU CUZ YOU BATTLE AND YOUR EVIL AND THE DEVIL!!!" Cmon man....working together we can progress and learn faster than ever before. And cleric, your right, FUCK OUR REPRESENTATIVES FROM BACK IN THE DAY! They were dooshes and god only knows how they acted towrds gsc. That's over now, and we have a chance to re do it correctly this time. At the end of the day, I tried, and will keep trying. I will never give up on this.

imo competition does not create an environment conducive to people acting badly. In all my years of stringing I have NEVER seen a fight break out or anything of the sort over what was going on. I do understand why some of you are going to be hostile. When you say how little I understand about it not throwing it under the bus, elaborate please. And, I'm not talking about giving loaded guns to teenagers, I'm talking about a peaceful coexistence between 2 places that should have been allies from the get go. The culture is alive and kicking, and alot of people like to watch competitions go down. You say if I don't know what the goal is I'll never get there, your being condescending in your responses.

Live and let live without impeding on the liberties of others. The wall goes up when you say battle because YOU guys taught everyone else the fundamentals that solidified the anti battle stigma. Then you say you HAVE to be for it or against it, these words resonate extremism...There is an in between. You say that you wont accept me because i use the word battle, a glowstick battle and a REAL battle are so not even close to the same thing. I was in the army, I know what REAL conflict looks like, and that is not it. For me it is an art and a discipline. Dammit, I have too much to say and I can't think of it all. The point is, we accept all of you, and admire what you are doing here. We are trying to accomplish the same thing, just in a different way. Whether you take the high road or the low road we are going to the same place.

I suppose my input will probably end up in me being banned as well but as a new stringer (almost a year) I've been brought up in the Austin battle scene and have seen nothing but friendly competition and I have received nothing but support from battlers. The best stringer (very possibly ever) saw me stringing in a club and approached me. He commented on my style then continued to teach me a move. Yes, that would never have happened in the battle scene that died but times have changed and so have the people who are involved.

If you could see the progression that has occurred among the battlers in Austin I think you opinion would change, or at least soften. We come together every week and session with fire and passion. The competition pushes stringers physically and mentally to expand our art in every aspect. Yes, we are all pushing to be the best but it is for ourselves and the love of stringing.

Perhaps the members of GSC will pass this message off which is quite understandable. Here we are suggesting you go against the groundwork your community was built on, but our battle scene isn't the same as the battle scene your founders worked so hard to distinguish from. And while you can't see it now, we are an evolution that will change our art and there is no running from it. I predict that GSC and battling scene will merge eventually. No, I am not suggesting that everyone will battle, but we will eventually work together. Our concrete slab has been laid and we building nowhere but up. Yet the heart and soul of this structure will be the same of the GSC community and we are hoping that our communities will grow together now rather than later, even if we just persuade one member at a time.

I would also like to add a suggestion instead of well thought out words. Perhaps we can work together and come up with a set of rules for our league that encompass the mentality of GSC.

We are working right now to create a non-hostile approach to GSC members in our group and if our dream fails and none of your minds change about battling and we don't begin to work together, hopefully GSC members will diminish the hostility towards us and we can co-exist and the very least agree to disagree. Because in the end its all about our love for glowsticks.

imo competition does not create an environment conducive to people acting badly. In all my years of stringing I have NEVER seen a fight break out or anything of the sort over what was going on.
Mebbe not. But how many people have you not seen because they don't feel like they're good enough? And how many people have gotten the idea into their heads that they want to be the best, forgetting that they really just want to be good? As was previously expressed, competition changes how people approach an activity. It will turn some people away, and it will attract others for the wrong reasons. If you haven't seen it turn out badly, well, you're lucky. I hope you can manage to continue to hold things together.
When you say how little I understand about it not throwing it under the bus, elaborate please.
Trying to add battling to the culture that we have cultivated around glowsticking is like trying to add pulled pork sandwiches to a bar mitzvah. There may not be anything fundamentally wrong with pulled pork, but it just doesn't fit. The glowsticking culture which has grown out of rave culture is fundamentally built upon the idea of rejecting competition. It's about fun, and egality, and competition has no place in it.

It's not an inherent feature of the art, but it's a culture that we love and want to preserve and want to help other people understand, and that's hard enough as it is. There is too much stigma attached to glowsticking by association with raves already; we have no need to add more. Because we engage in the same art form, what you do reflects on us in the public eye, and that hurts us.

I'm talking about a peaceful coexistence between 2 places that should have been allies from the get go.
It's a nice idea, but I'm not really sure how far it can go. Things can certainly be a lot better than they have been, and there's a lot that the GSC community can do in that regard; we're not always the most civil bunch when we see our values being challenged. But there will always be this fundamental divide because you have built your community on the very ting that our whole history and subculture have been designed to reject. I don't agree with Cleric's means of expression; being antagonistic on either side just makes the problem worse. But I do agree with the basic sentiment.
You say if I don't know what the goal is I'll never get there, your being condescending in your responses.
I didn't say that. Read it again. You implied uncertainty about the goal; if you are uncertain, you won't get very far. If you know what you want, don't be fuzzy about it.

When I joined this website over two years ago, I joined it because I saw it linked on a shuffling forum. It (glowsticking) looked beautiful to me and I wanted to learn it. It did not at one point cross my mind to show of against another stringer and see who was the better one. The concept itself is rediculous, how can anyone judge wether or not my 3 bt weave is better then another person's butterfly. It's like saying that the apple that person A is holding is rounder then the banana which person B is holding.

I have not, do not, and will not believe that battling has a valid place in our(and by that I mean both that of us and that of the battlers) art. Contesting who is the better glowsticker is ridiculous on every level and I will try to convince each and every battler that battling is not a good thing to do if I get the chance.

Sonik, in one of your posts, you mentioned that there might be a bit of hurt pride, but nothing more. First of all, if that's all there is to gain, namely to hurt another person's pride, then I do have to state that I am disgraced that people who want to hurt other people are of the same species as me. We as humans should be above purposefully hurting others. Furthermore if you want a very good example of more then mere "lost pride" I suggest you read "saving texas" an article which can be found in the cultural forums and which shows exactly why we are against battling.

Also, if nothing is won or lost, it implies that there are no winners or losers, which implies that there was no battle or competition in the first place. So why do you call it something which it isn't?

Cheers

(p.s.: I may add more when I'm less sleepy).