Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freedoh

How long have you been at GSC?

56 posts in this topic

No really how long? I've been here for almost a year now and I don't think I'm going to leave. lol

Um, if you look at the join dates under people's names on the left side of the post, it usually says how long they've been on GSC. Some people join GSC & never do anything, and then some people glowstick for a while and then join GSC afterward, so it's not necessarily the most accurate measure of how long they've been glowsticking, buuuuut there you have it.

I joined about a week after I started trying to teach myself to stick, so, as my join date suggests, I've been both sticking & on GSC for well over 3 years.

Thats great but I already know it shows the join date. Like you said its not accurate to when people actually try. I think to those that enjoy and stick with it, as soon as they picked up a pair of glowsticks they joined GSC.

i started doing poi july of 2009, switched to glowsticking in late october when my first set of flowlights broke lol, and joined gsc in november :dope

Thats sweet! Its great to hear the stories of how all of us became members. I started glowstringing in July of last year now its July again but I joined GSC in October.

I was a member at a melbourne shuffle forum (melbshuffle.com I think it was) and I saw a link to related stuff, listed was GS.C, I looked at it, thought, seems interesting, I tried it a bit, had a "meh, I can't do this moment" and stopped (mind you, I used a few balpoints and shoelaces, to try freehanding and stringing and it didn't work). I then saw some more gsc vids (the summerbay meetup and one of Adrillf's vids. Ever since I saw handles I wanted to try again, which I did. I started with handles, switched to regular fairly quickly to learn the basics, and then back to handles and I've been doing that ever since.

So yeah, that's how I got here. So I guess I started in january or february of 09.

Cheers

I was a member at a melbourne shuffle forum (melbshuffle.com I think it was) and I saw a link to related stuff, listed was GS.C, I looked at it, thought, seems interesting, I tried it a bit, had a "meh, I can't do this moment" and stopped (mind you, I used a few balpoints and shoelaces, to try freehanding and stringing and it didn't work). I then saw some more gsc vids (the summerbay meetup and one of Adrillf's vids. Ever since I saw handles I wanted to try again, which I did. I started with handles, switched to regular fairly quickly to learn the basics, and then back to handles and I've been doing that ever since.

So yeah, that's how I got here. So I guess I started in january or february of 09.

Cheers

u shuffle?!?!?!?!?!?

and ahh this thread again

when i first started stringing i was youtubing tuts a lot of them were from gs.c, made a lurker acount summer of 09 never signed in made a new account in the fall been posting eva since

I've only been here for six months. :wallbash:

I loved these videos I saw from Sparrow, Cleric, Wil, Wes, Stinkowicz, Jstudd, Melvy, Ange(Cody), Legend,Dier, Danny KO, too many to mention & this is were they all were.

I had an account pre-2006 before the site had it's issues with hackers & was shut down for awhile, I was purely a lurker then. probably same SN but not sure.

Then I checked back a few months later & GSC was back up and running.

Random memory: I recall that each member had their member number show in each post. I think I was #4200ish now it's almost up to 30,000 members... that's crazy.

Then I went through a "phase" of not using the site at all....2008 or so. I was still stringing but not contributing positively to the site, I was a D-bag back then.

Not until this time last Summer did I really become active. Mainly because of my involvment in a Chicago Meet-up & the start of the String Manip Game.

My stringing timeline:

I seriously picked up strings to learn on St.Patricks day 2005

I joined GSC shortly there after don't know exactly when it was.

Somewhere in 2006 the site was down for an extended period of time. I eventually made an account again in September 2006

I didn't glowstick at all from late 2008 - early 2010

but as my Lifetime Supporter would suggest, I also don't plan on going anywhere. My activity may be up & down, but I love GSC.

So........ on & off 5-6 years for short answer

u shuffle?!?!?!?!?!?

and ahh this thread again

when i first started stringing i was youtubing tuts a lot of them were from gs.c, made a lurker acount summer of 09 never signed in made a new account in the fall been posting eva since

I started learning it, I can do the running man and the T-step a little bit but other then that it's meh :P

Cheers

I think I've done this in another thread at some point, but here goes.

I got into the EDM scene in May 2001 when I went to a club for the first time (second year of college). I had a friend who was learning to glowstring and I borrowed some glowsticks from him that night and started learning how to freehand. The next night I started learning how to string. A week after that I had a large assortment of strobing safety lights and LED lights. The next month I built myself a glowstaff. I was hooked on glowing things.

I continued going to parties for the next few years, giving up learning to string but continuing the freehanding and dancing with LED's on strings (but not stringing with them!) I wanted to learn how to dance (I'd been attempting to learn to pop for several years) so I was looking up dancing videos on the internet. Through that I occasionally noticed someone had posted a video of glowsticking. I wanted to see more glowsticking videos so I did a search and GSC turned up. I was floored. A whole website dedicated to one of my greatest loves in life. This was in November 2005, around a week before thanksgiving. I lurked for about a week under a different screen name (my AIM screen name actually) and then signed up as Ph0toN.

Honestly I don't know what I'd be doing right now if I hadn't ever found GSC, it's caused so many huge changes in my life that I never would've imagined in the beginning. I've traveled all over the country, met hundreds of glowstickers, and made some of the best friends I'll probably ever have. I love this community! :)

Just as a side note, bukklee because of your comment I just now noticed that our member numbers aren't displayed anymore. How crazy. Wonder how long it's been like that....

To those who say they feel old reading this thread, I'm right there with you....

I was a lurker for most of 05.. joined late 05, early 06. Had a few months without internet, and thus without posts,, but never stopped preaching the love of the art :)

Got into glowsticking and EDM around 2001

Joined gs.c in the fall of 2004

Have been lurking the forums and noobing it up ever since.

BTW- I'm back, kicked butt on the GRE and now I have time that I'm no longer studying for that test to waste on random internet sites.

PS: WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MEMBER NUMBER!?

PS: WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MEMBER NUMBER!?

I thought they got rid of member number postings after the reset a few years back?

nah, they definitely still had member numbers well after I joined. I miss it, too. :(

Man I feel old now. damn. that time went by fast. You old people sure knew what you were talking about. I started stringing in late June/early July 2008, joined gsc a couple weeks later after I came across it while looking for tuts. Totally post-whored it up haha. This place and its fantastic group of people taught me well in a wide manner of subjects :)

I thought every account has a member number assigned to it. o.o?

They do. If you go to your profile, the number that appears in the URL before your username is your member number.

They do. If you go to your profile, the number that appears in the URL before your username is your member number.

Yeah, that's what I've been using. That, and the member list, and rearranging it.

yea i started stringing in november of 2005 and didnt even know about gsc until about 2006 sometime and started watching to learn more moves and came across clerics videos first and was inspired to push further with it and thats how it started for me i watched more and more vids and still do all the time.but i officially joined in like 08 i think and actually am just starting to be on here like everyday if i can.i practice quite a bit everyday and yea im not leaving.........for a long long time

Totally post-whored it up haha. This place and its fantastic group of people taught me well in a wide manner of subjects :)

...Totally forgot about post-whores XD ... that takes me back...

Nobody postwhores anymore. :| *hugs my post count closely*

dont make me start up again :) i could probs get to 2500 before the end of the summer if i tried..

Of course based on what i have seen, there doesnt appear to be the flow of traffic on the forum as there once was. Any official report on how traffic has changed within the past year or two?