Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DnBBeats

Freehanding Concept(s)

43 posts in this topic

Hello

Welcome to my Concept Thread. Feel free to Post any questions and i'll do my best to answer them.

Ok so just a little overview of what this is going to be about. This is My opinion and or views on freehanding and dance for the most part. You dont have to

have any dance background. Dancing helps but is not as important as one key factor. MOVEMENT! You dont have to know how to dance to just move from place to place.

So that is part of what this Theory/Concept will be. This should be read is you have a clear understanding of your basic moves. Your moves dont have to be "Good" you just need to know the BASICS!!!!!

MAIN THEORY

There are going to be 3 parts to this theory/concept. They could be considered one but it would be easier to think of them in 3 parts before you can see the bigger picture.

The 3 parts that I'll Be discussing are DIMENSION, AREA, MOVEMENT.

DIMENSION

Definition

A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.

Now that the definition has been read i will further explain what i think of and how it applies or can be applied to Freehanding. So lets take a look at the three main parts of dimension, which is Width, Height, and Length.

Remember in P.E. when you had to line up side by side with other class mates about an arms Length away, or how about Leonardo Da Vinchis drawing of the human body and how it encompasses an almost 360 degree movement. Well if you're a freehander then it is easy to understand that unless you are doing a toss the sticks are almost always being held. Well unlike having planes to work with like in stringing the human body has an infinite amount of planes so to speak. You aren't just limited to front and back or sides, or above and below. You have different angles and degrees of visibility from not only viewers of freehanding but the freehander themselves. Having that kind of ability of freedom should be taken advantage of every time you freehand. whether its to your sides, in front, above or below you.

Imagine standing with your arms out to the side of you. if you raise your hands/arms up as if to do a clap above your head or lower them to be at your side, with in the dimensions of your arms movement is a place to freehand. every degree and every angle. What move you do is something to also consider when applying dimension to your freehanding.

(VIDEO TO COME)

AREA

Definition

A roughly bounded part of the space on a surface; a region.

Ok so this part when i think of this and how to apply it to freehanding I initially think of leading the stick by moving across the floor. not in a literal sense but a conceptual way. For example stepping forward, back, left, or right. This is where i feel a lot of freehanders beginner to advance struggle with sometimes. I myself have caught my self practicing in one spot, which is fine, BUT you really can only do so many traces, tosses, or helis in one spot before it becomes repetitive. (Usually 1 min) IMO!

Area can also be applied to a specific area of the body, I.E. chest, head, legs, ect. more along the tracing lines and threading.

(VIDEO TO COME)

MOVEMENT

Definition

a. The act or an instance of moving; a change in place or position.

b. A particular manner of moving.

I think this one really speaks for it self. MOVE PEOPLE MOVE!!!!! lol. Try not to stand in one area the entire time. There is really nothing else to say. Sure i didnt have to include this as a topic but like i said you dont have to know how to break, pop, or dance at al to move. A good example of movement would be just swaying to the music .

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS Think of walking or strafing or even jumping or a hop to a new spot. (I am also a partial rapper!!!! :D)

VIDEO TO COME

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL PLEASE ASK! But pleas no video requests. If i feel the vast majority are struggling with this concept i will post a video to further help out but the included videos i believe will help establish the basic idea

Awesome thread, this should help a lot of people. Once you get videos made for this I'll add it to the articles and put it in the tutorial center. Thanks for writing this! :)

ha ha for sure photon. I made the videos simontanously with the thread i just have to edit

These are awesome points and I definitely agree. I think freehanding is all about the movement. In fact, it feels AMAZING when you move about and expend energy (even better when your technique is slick).

Really looking forward to the videos and glad you're posting again duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

coooooool idea/thread. The freehanding section of the forums needs more attention :D

coooooool idea/thread. The freehanding section of the forums needs more attention :D

Yeah I've been getting lonely.

thanks guys. I definately think this will help people when i get these vids edited and uploaded. but please keep as active as possible

thanks guys. I definately think this will help people when i get these vids edited and uploaded. but please keep as active as possible

I'm always here, hoping for a bit of company :dope

I lurk lol. Great explanations, we should get a session going sometime! ^^'

Would love to see this already :X

Would love to see this already :X

He's posted one of the vids on his youtube page.

May I add an idea?

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I've been trying to incorporate it into every flow art I pick up.

Keep in mind, this is my personal definitions and explanations.

Definition -> Perception; How an idea is conveyed by the originator to an audience.

Why is it important? -> What you think you are doing, and what others think you are doing can be two different things.

How do I incorporate it? -> When you are freehanding, what is it you are really doing? For me, freehanding is an exploration of space, time, and the human condition. Big idea? I think not. First, consider how you perceive each of those aspects.

----- Spacial Perspective: When spinning poi, or tutting, you learn about planes. Planes give length and breadth to movements. They give a point of reference, as well as create a grid to expand and explore the area around you. But how do you keep planar aspects in things like tosses, traces, and general FREE handing? Simple, spacial perspective. Imagine your core is the center of a three dimensional axis stretching out to your maximum range. That is limited by a sphere. Inside the sphere is a box, and inside the box is a point. Spacial perspective is creating your own zoning for each of your moves, either focusing on a point (Lets use Isolations and Inversions as an example. Those focus on points) a plane (Tuts, both in lightshow freehanding as well as in full body movement) or the infinity sphere of range of movement. By focusing on learning techniques at each level of spacial perception, and then expanding out to infinity, you can show the different spaces around you and truly explore them, creating a complex and technical, yet flowing and expressive form of freehanding. For example; stick-behind-stick isolation TO inverted Heli TO full helicopter TO box tuts TO full arm tuts TO box traces and chases TO body traces TO toss TO onehanded catch of both sticks in the same hand. Point to point to line to line to plane to plane to plane to infinity to infinity to infinite space extension to point.

------ Chronological perspective.: This is where the techniques in spacial perspective begin to take life. When you watch freehanding, or any flow art, what is something you love to experience with it? Music. Music has timing changes, break downs, and incongruities, as well as symmetry. You can hear it in a drop, an allegro, a break down, and even in the empty spaces. Every sound can be personified in a movement, a technique. A "whoom" in dubstep can be a single rotation, or a tap. Three whooms in a row? Tap combo heaven. Hear a nice long build up? Trace like there is no tomorrow, then break it down into isolations and tutting during the silence right before a drop! When ever you practice, work on creating different speeds for each technique. A calming and slow mood can be isolations, and even in those songs that are slower, you can speed up, relative to the speed you were going, as well as the speed you can reach as a maximum, AS WELL AS the speed you can come back down to.

------ Human Perspective: This is where freehanding evolves past techniques and timing, and where flow begins. Never forget you are a light artist, and art is meant to be an expression of humankind's ability to adapt and grow. Use you body to its maximum potential to explore spacial and chronological perspective. A foot tap is a different timing signature than a hand tap. Like wise a foot tap to the initial hand and a foot tap above your hand into and extension are different spacial perspective. Don't forget, your body itself occupies a space. Long arms? Break your chasing down to cover 6 steps instead of four. Larger person? Bigger and more intricate stomach traces. Smaller person? Break down your moves to fill a small space with an intense amount of light and then explode out.

Granted, all of these are gross generalizations, but they are the first ones that come to mind. I don't mean to single anyone out or create stereotypes, just illustrate examples. You can take these concepts as you like.

Now, that is the perception of yourself. NOW comes the difficult part; what does your audience see, and how can you better convey your own movements to the music, and make them feel what you feel. Likewise, if you see your audience is more partial to different moves sets, can you adapt to still keep your musical integrity, and expand your performance, for lack of a better word, to join their world and then take them on the ride of their life?

The way I do this is by learning a combo first. Make a story for it. Make it personal. Ever seen the "Unleash your fingers" video? No? Youtube it. Imagine everything you do, not only in the traces left by trails of light, but in the spaces you COULD fill if something was perceived to be there. If that video didn't have the CG over it, would you be able to still get lost in his world?

This is my opinion on the idea of perspective.

Any updates on the videos, DnBBeats?

I'm hoping this will function in a manner similar to the stringer's Concept Sharing Blog.

We can update on a regular basis and encourage viewers to submit their own variations in a video.

Just my 2 cents.

I find it especially helpful when you weave, you move in the direction you weave. Always keeps the flow going.

Any updates on the videos, DnBBeats?

I'm hoping this will function in a manner similar to the stringer's Concept Sharing Blog.

We can update on a regular basis and encourage viewers to submit their own variations in a video.

Just my 2 cents.

hey man if you and i and a few others need to get the ball rolling on something along those lines *tech blog for freehanders*

I'm down to help. I may not have much to contribute concept wise but im down to help however i can.

hey man if you and i and a few others need to get the ball rolling on something along those lines *tech blog for freehanders*

I'm down to help. I may not have much to contribute concept wise but im down to help however i can.

I'm happy to help with this project.

I'll probably be able to devote a little more time after classes end. XD

That and perhaps we'll be able to get a couple of those dormant members posting again.

(*cough* Trance-rckr *cough* Ph0toN *cough*)

It really helps that I've been freehanding wayyyy more than stringing lately. thumbsup.gif

well if ya'll are down, I'll start giving myself freehanding deadlines the same way i do for the stringing thread

*everyone try to post at most once a week and at least once a month*

just a heads up though, I am noooo juggler, i can only do basics

i can semi grasp tracing & tutting concepts thanks to ph0ton and ginseng *hugs*

but isolations *flower patterns* i can do that stuff like no other lmao

So just a forewarning on what to expect from me in the start until i understand more concepts. =D

It seems like DnBBeats' videos are gonna cover the fundamentals to keep in mind when performing,

hopefully he won't mind but I have no problem translating his post into a vid *he explained everything pretty thoroughly*

*also i think this would be a good idea*

if anyone has any questions about moves seen in freehanding videos, compilations, solos, etc.

I think we should post a link to said vid, as well as a timestamp, and we can all brainstorm together on how it's done, and how we can expand on it.

I might be able to get a video in this weekend after buying a new set of shoes, but that's me being ambitious. (Nocturnal ruins shoes. Guaranteed.)

I was thinking by just starting with basic trace and toss combos then breaking it down with timestamps.

Also, the video would be made available here via the link to its respective video hosting site.

It became extremely obvious to me recently that what seems like something normal or ordinary to you might be the next greatest thing to someone else.

I was doing my variation in one-handed stringing to get into a moon wrap and Trance-rckr's jaw dropped.

I was confused at first, but then after doing it again, he told me he'd never think of wrapping the way I did to combo in.

This blog is something very exciting and hopefully it's just what the Freehanding forums need to come back to life.

I might be able to get a video in this weekend after buying a new set of shoes, but that's me being ambitious. (Nocturnal ruins shoes. Guaranteed.)

Well, I was right.

I was very ambitious.

Here's a video, for your viewing/learning pleasure.

It's only a week after I wanted it up.

Timestamps should be provided soon.

(I still need to buy those shoes. >.>)

Also, here's the link to DnBBeats' video on dimensions.

In case you couldn't find it. (Maybe I'm a tad clueless.)

http://youtu.be/lUMDf7gK-bQ

are those EG ultras? those are bright as hell =D

the traces at 00:40 and 01:00 were slick as hell, really wanna learn those

as well as the trace at 01:25 where its based around your elbow

i love the dual angles you filmed with and

WTF was that at 01:49!? that was epic I loved it!!

----------

I'll have something up before the night is over,

won't be anything as lengthy as yours,

but it'll showcase the freehanding stuff that has always made me go whaaaaaat? =P

are those EG ultras? those are bright as hell =D

the traces at 00:40 and 01:00 were slick as hell, really wanna learn those

as well as the trace at 01:25 where its based around your elbow

i love the dual angles you filmed with and

WTF was that at 01:49!? that was epic I loved it!!

Actually, the ultras I used are Duralumes from Glowarehouse.

They're well worth it, as the price is very reasonable and they're hex sticks.

So I'm cheating at learning more freehanding. XD

IMO, they are better for freehanding than stringing as I've had several fly off of my strings during orbitals, air wraps, and certain string manips I've been playing with.

If you do use this for stringing, just be mindful of the thinish hook.

I like to center my traces/combos around one area/joint of the body so that your focus is drawn there and then have you follow it as it transfers around.

It's a pretty cool thing if you can link these together.

I'll have time stamps up later this afternoon.

And perhaps a video by the middle of the week. >.<

----------

TIMESTAMP LIST:

0:20 - Threading Combo to Shoulder Trace outward

0:27 - Tosses are your friend

0:36 - Torso to leg spin trace to elbow focused trace out

1:02 - Shoulder trace to connection to helicopter

1:10 - Invisible string/attachment concept (I honestly don't know what to call this. I don't remember the term my circus club president used when he taught me with his fire staves.)

1:44 - Unison freehand to inverted butterfly

2:10 - Helicopter/Isolation combos

2:34 - Toss-through thread

3:17 - Shoulder thread combo to leaning with the direction of the sticks

Hopefully I'll get out a new video by this weekend with something new to play with.

I'm thinking it'll have a slowed down explanation/tutorial of a few things from my last vid and then introduce a few new things.

We'll see how this goes.

suzume! Where's your video??

And where are those other people on GSC that freehand>?

I know there's more than a couple of us. >.<

It'll be kinda weird seeing me post twice in a row with updates in here if this keeps up. thumbdown.gif