Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForrestFire

College ROTC

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering If Any one is going or is currently in ROTC. I was just thinking of my own application when relized our forum has a military topic.

I'm applying for Navy ROTC for next fall.

Well... Im not near the year or age of going to college but i do either plan to go in an AFROTC(air force) or try to apply to the Air Force Academy. Well... GODD LUCK IF YOU DO GO!

I'm not in rotc but I'm a reservist who is going to college.

I think it depends on why you want to join. they throw all this stuff in your face about scholarships and training but its not always what its cracked up to be.

if your thinking about joining for 20 years then do it.

if your only going for the money and training I would tell you not too.

when you join under contract you have a lot taken away from you. freedom in college is priceless. if you join your going to have to pass tests put up with their shit and meet their requirments. you even get drug tested.

In my opinion it kind of takes away from the college experience.

your just getting an early start on something you have the rest of your life to do.

if you get your degree on your own its not that hard to make officer anyways. depending on what major its in they basically give it to you.

They are offering ROTC at my high school that I will go to next year, but I'm not going most likely, unless next year it seems better, I will do it in my sophemore year. Anyone know about HS ROTC then?

its fun... especially ADT(Armed Drill Team) spinnin rifles. oh man the insanity!!!... but a lovely one! i recommentd joining JROTC in high school. ROTC is college.

oh yea Jr. ROTC is ok but im actualy a cadet right now in CAP, USAF auxillary. That is so much better, lol. but yea if u decide to join JROTC do Saber team :biggrin2: if your dettachment has it.

AS stated earlier, make sure you know for sure what you're getting into. All of these military programs have severe drawbacksthat you might not realize until they've screwed you over. I can't really hink of many details right now.

But, if you think it's right for you, be careful when you do it.

ONE THING like Doc said is that JROTC isnt actually like a military program completly. its mainly just teaching you about your units service. yes theres push up, and PT(physical training). but its not the way it would be in basic.*

*This is word of mouth told to me by others who have already joined the military.

I already gave my view on why not to join ROTC in my last post.

I didnt want to say it before but most people that were in JROTC arent really respected for it or anything. When your in basic the drill sergeants hate you because most jrotc people think they know it all. The other soldiers sure arent going to respect you for it either.

Once you join the real military all those things like drill team arent even going to mean anything. Some units have things like that but the average soldier doesnt do them. You are going to be too busy doing your real job and trying to enjoy any free time they give you.

The biggest difference between JROTC and the real thing is that they dont OWN your life.

The only benefit of JROTC is that you can go in with a bit extra pay. But when you're barely making anything in the first place, it helps, but you might as well go to college and be an officer...

getting extra pay isnt even always the case. there are multple ways of getting promoted before you go to basic. In the army if you learn a few things and pass your pt test you get promoted. and depending on if you have a cool recruiter all you have to do is give them a few names or go and help them recruit and they will give you another one. Some of them if they are cool enough will give you a promotoin for not even doing anything. I think there are a few others like having college credits but if you work for it its not always that hard.

Its not that being in jrotc is bad. If it helps you as a person and gets you modivated into being in the military then thats whats its for. Its just not the "real" military.

and I already explained why being in rotc isnt for everybody or even a requirment for starting off as an officer.

thats what one of ma friends is doin. but he already joined and has gone through basic. but i guess the recruiter still gives him raises and stuff cuz i hear him talkin to him.

Yeah, I was in JROTC for 5 semesters. Just wasn't for me. It was mostly because of how it was run and a change in my philosophies.

I was unfortunately discharged from the ROTC program I was attending at my college due to medical reasons. Sigh, I guess it just wasn't mean't to be. =/

Ya I'm going the ROTC i go to basic July 6th in Ft. Benning . I'll be Reserve While im going to college In NY so i get paid and all during school i should be set for everything.

oh really... one of my friends will be going to fort benning too. lol. i dont know if youll ever run into him but his name is Josh.

Ya I'm going the ROTC i go to basic July 6th in Ft. Benning . I'll be Reserve While im going to college In NY so i get paid and all during school i should be set for everything.

YOur doing both at the same time? Ive found that It sucks only being a reservist. GI bills not that much and Units dont always have enough to pay for tuition. That and the fact that your first weekend of every month is gone. This year they decided to fuck us over and put our two week annual traing in the middle of the school semester. I got a C in one of my classes because of it and had to drop out of another one. That and My unit is set to deploy next year to Iraq.

Joing was the stupidest decision I ever made :lol:

I should have went to college on my own first.

oh yea Jr. ROTC is ok but im actualy a cadet right now in CAP, USAF auxillary. That is so much better, lol. but yea if u decide to join JROTC do Saber team :biggrin2: if your dettachment has it.

ForrestFire,

Stay in the Cadet Program as long as you can. You will have the rest of your life for the Senior Program but only one chance at the Cadet Program. Which achievement have you completed? How far are you from completing your Mitchell Award?

ForrestFire,

Stay in the Cadet Program as long as you can. You will have the rest of your life for the Senior Program but only one chance at the Cadet Program. Which achievement have you completed? How far are you from completing your Mitchell Award?

Oh i had alreadycompleted mitchel at the time. but yea im taking a break from CAP bc i dont have the time since im at a military college.