Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aquilae

General map of the site

13 posts in this topic

Hey! Welcome to GSC!!

The purpose of this thread is to help you become familiar with the site, and to show you how the layout works. The organization of the site is fairly self-explanatory, but this thread should help you out more!

The first thing you should do is Check out the culture forums. There is a very important cultural aspect of glowsticking that you should become aware of!

Click these links to learn more about GSC's stance on:

Glowsticking in School

crews and high school performances

Sponsorship/ getting paid to glowstick

Also, click this for an important story you should read that has to do with battling.

Regional Information:

Click the link HERE to meet other GSC members, schedule meetups, and discuss events being held in your area

For all written discussion on glowsticking, please refer to either the "On The Line: Glowstringing Discussion and Tutorials" or the No Strings Attached" Freehand Discussion and Tutorials" areas.

If you would like to post a VIDEO for the community to critique, please feel free to do so Glowsticking, Light Videos and Discussion area.

Key features on the site:

GSCScreenTutorial2.jpg

:arrow: The small button that says "view new content" will become your best friend. This will display a page that lists all of the threads with recent activity. If you post in a thread, it should be immediately listed on this page.

GSCScreenTutorial3.jpg

The buttons circled here are particularly useful. The "Tinychat" button will link you to GSC's very own chatroom. The "downloads" button will link you to a page where you can download glowsticking videos, tutorials, as well as all of the GSC icons and the GSC video intro.

GSCScreenTutorial4.jpg

:arrow: The small picture in the bottom left corner will link you to your profile page. Here you will be able to access your status box, your wall, and see other members that you have added as friends.

:arrow: The icon with a letter will link you to your personal inbox. This is where you can send and receive private messages from other members.

:arrow: The "my settings" icon will link you to a page where you can change your signature, avatar, as well as manage your notifications, change your email address/ password, manage your "watched forums", announcements, etc.

Again, welcome to GSC. I hope this thread was useful to you! If you have any further questions about the site, don't hesitate to private message any one of the staff members.

Not to be rude or step on any toes. But is this really necessary? If someone can't figure out all that for themselves I don't think they should really even be on the forum....

Just my opinion.

I honestly don't think that just because someone doesn't know their way around the site that means we should just go "GTFO n00b".

The site layout is a bit unorthodox, so we can't really blame people because of it. Plus, we can't push away new members just because of little details like that, you never know who's really interested in the art and culture. And helping them out a bit doesn't take much time/effort. In my honest opinion, anyway.

Great post, Jebsax. Thank you for taking the time. :3

Not to be rude or step on any toes. But is this really necessary? If someone can't figure out all that for themselves I don't think they should really even be on the forum....

Just my opinion.

So, if a new prospective member comes on the site, but is a little confused by the layout/ how to use the site, they ultimately do not have any business here? wow...great way to spread the art

you are taking your familiarity with the site for granted.

If you were completely new to the site and knew nothing about it, wouldn't you find this helpful? Sure you could wander around a bit and probably figure it out... but I want to particularly emphasize what I wrote with regards to the "view new content" button.

I have talked to SO many people (most of which who have been on the site for years) who don't log on anymore because the layout has changed, and they can't figure it out. Primary complaint I've heard is that there isn't a button that bumps all the threads with new posts... which is why I've emphasized the "view new content" button... A huge amount of people don't even know that it exists

edit: Also, how many times have you seen people say "where can I download that GSC intro?" or just think about how many times you have had to refer people to the download center in general. Will this thread not help explain?

I'm with J on this one. I was one of the people who, after the layout change, seriously had to fiddle around on the forums for half an hour before rediscovering where everything was (settings, view new posts, etc) and that was even with knowing what elements to look for & rediscover. and although i'm many things, and a huge derp, I'm pretty damn sure you can't say I'm stupid.

on topic: good little site map! I think we had a similar topic list in the past, but the graphics for the buttons helps.

the only kicker: I hope newbies can find this thread. :P

Great job Jaybee! I honestly learned a thing or two from this so this thread is definitely gonna be useful lol

but i agree with Lira, hopefully newbies can find this page

So, if a new prospective member comes on the site, but is a little confused by the layout/ how to use the site, they ultimately do not have any business here? wow...great way to spread the art

you are taking your familiarity with the site for granted.

If you were completely new to the site and knew nothing about it, wouldn't you find this helpful? Sure you could wander around a bit and probably figure it out... but I want to particularly emphasize what I wrote with regards to the "view new content" button.

I have talked to SO many people (most of which who have been on the site for years) who don't log on anymore because the layout has changed, and they can't figure it out. Primary complaint I've heard is that there isn't a button that bumps all the threads with new posts... which is why I've emphasized the "view new content" button... A huge amount of people don't even know that it exists

edit: Also, how many times have you seen people say "where can I download that GSC intro?" or just think about how many times you have had to refer people to the download center in general. Will this thread not help explain?

I didn't mean it the way you took it. I meant how hard is it really to look around for approx 5min and figure out how to get to tinychat, and view new posts? Personally I would figure it out myself as its not that hard....at all. I can see how it can help, yes, but also if people would take their own initiative to figure it out themselves it would take just as long for them to figure it out alone as it would for them to navigate to your post (if it gets stickied) and read through it.

Maybe I'm just too harsh, I just think its dumb when people have to ask unnecessary questions all the time when the answer is right in front of them.

+1

This thread needs a sticky.

Absolute win, Jebsax!!

I think this is quite necessary and can actually help to avoid situations that develop because users are somewhat ignorant of culture.

Trebek brings up a good point, though.

Some people don't have any logic whatsoever.

I mean, I know I'm not perfect, but I'll use common sense every now and then. (just not when fire breathing...)

I basically made this in response to a LOT of members saying "there isn't a button that bumps new threads to the top"... which there is... it is the "view new content" button. I just went ahead and added some other stuff to make it geared towards new members. It may seem like common sense, but some members were having problems getting used to the new layout of the site. If I was a newbie, I would find this useful...

edit: I just realized I posted this exact comment already in this thread XD

Done all this..

its amazing

how do i post in my blog.. said im not "authorized"