Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MFingMOCHI

Freehanding toss combo things

7 posts in this topic

I recently started freehanding and i'm having fun with it so far but i find every time i go to toss the sticks i look like a fool, most of the time i end up throwing them between my hands like a demented juggler. is there any sort of advice people could give about making toss combos? I lack a lot of creativity still -__-

i've been freehanding for about 2 months now and it's a blast! just remember to be consistent with your practicing and you will improve over time, though your improvement isn't as noticeable compared to stringing, imo.

and also, there are some awesome freehand tutorials on the site. You should check 'em out.

Tutorials

One more question if anyone even reads this. What is an antispin???? i hear people talk about threading and antispin what is it???? and what is btb??? and are there any cool traces you can do apart from like arm, neck, stomach, legs part of legs?? all i can do is those things and i feel like it is super repetitive.

Thanks for the tutorial link too :)

One more question if anyone even reads this. What is an antispin???? i hear people talk about threading and antispin what is it???? and what is btb??? and are there any cool traces you can do apart from like arm, neck, stomach, legs part of legs?? all i can do is those things and i feel like it is super repetitive.

Thanks for the tutorial link too :)

Definition of an antispin: Anti spin is typically when the arm is rotating one way (clockwise) and the sticks are rotating the other way (counterclockwise).

BTB means Behind the Back

If you check out the glowstringing tutorial center it's got definitions of a lot of stuff and a list of abbreviations and what they mean. A lot of them apply to freehand as well.

As for traces, absolutely anything can be traced. You can trace your head, shoulders, knees, feet, back of the legs, your back, your eyeballs etc. You can even trace the other stick, or toss it in the air and trace it while it's airborne. It's all up to how far you want to stretch your imagination. I personally like to do floor and air traces. I'll create a pattern in my mind and trace the contours of it on the floor or in the air, then go back into whatever else. You can also trace objects in your environment, like if you're next to a rail or fence, trace it, then flow back into tracing your body. I recommend holding off on abstract stuff like that at first though. Work on basic tracing until it's second nature and flows like butter, then the crazy abstract stuff will come easier and look better.

When it comes to repetitiveness, try to find new ways of doing things and different combinations of doing them. Mixing them together works well too. Try a leg trace and an arm trace at the same time, or a head and stomach trace at the same time. Just about anything will work with anything else so long as you can stretch your body to do them at the same time. Watching other peoples videos helps a lot with figuring out new ways to do things.

Oh one more thing, in reply to your original post. Watch other peoples videos and see what they do with tosses. Make sure to check out videos of adub, ginseng, madraverrai, and spazzman. They're all insane with the tosses.

Lol Photon [only East Coast stickers]

ANYWHO :3

As for you toss issue my friend-

It's MAJORITY practice, with that being said.

Look at your combos as is, when you raise wether it be your arm, hand, wrist look for a flick response

I'll be honest with you.. the toss is the easy part. Catching it is a whole other story-

even the best of stickers drop freq *hence practice* but watch your rotation on the stick while airborne depending on how hard you flick or toss determines the speed and angle of the stick. study this while practicing and once you know how much force to use things should move along a little smoother. :dope

you know you have a combo down by doing it backwards :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

I agree with Photon. And I'll tell you the best thing I ever did was **practice slow**.

Hope you have loads of fun and feel like posting some videos soon.

Let me know if you want to chat sometime

*looks around* Wow, I'm surprised TK hasn't gotten in on this yet. His toss combos are boss. I've been practicing a bit as well, so I can just tell you what I've been doing that I find to work. When I start out, I usually do a few light tosses, maybe an inch or so high, because the chances of catching one of those are much more likely, so it boosts my confidence for higher and more risky tosses, plus it's just a good warm up. Then I gradually increase how high I toss my sticks until the amount of times that I drop them becomes ridiculous, then I decrease just a little bit and work on that. This also helps in keeping the stick parallel to your body. Tossing the sticks side to side from one hand to the other is also good, in front of you, behind you, etc. The same principal applies, keep your hands a small distance apart, then increase, stick parallel to the floor.When doing heli tosses I find it's more about snapping your fingers than flicking your wrists, otherwise your stick will start doing crazy things in the air and you'll end up chasing after it or launching it at somebody.

That's for dropping the stick, as far as coming up with a cool combo or whatever, once you're comfortable enough with each individual toss that you're practicing, just have fun with it. You'll start to figure out what works with what naturally if you play around a bit. One of my favorites right now is doing a trace, grabbing one stick inside of my elbow, popping it up, catching it so two sticks are in one hand. From there you can do a whole bunch of stuff. Or, you can just keep juggling your sticks, over, under, and around body parts, but that takes a lot of skill to maneuver, and maybe you'll get dizzy :lol: Don't let that discourage you though.

Hope that helps :3

PS: Flowjojo I like that a lot. "You know you have a combo down by doing it backwards" I'll keep that in mind next time I'm trying to put together a routine. Thanks. (too lazy to hit reply)