Arius

Glowsticking in College/Public

24 posts in this topic

So, i know there's a huge debate on glowsticking in high school, and i've ALWAYS supported the GSC approach of not doing it. I did it once when i first started out, and I always regret that night at an off-school, school supported dance. I also have always felt strongly about glowsticking in public as well, such as at crowded parks/walking down the road to school, etc; basically areas where the same people at high school dances could be.

however, now that im almost done with the first half of my second year at college, i'm wondering if my thoughts are totally correct in the respect of the public eye. All of last year i avoided stringing, even with deads, around other people. I searched for a few places to go out of the public eye (group study rooms, TV lounges when they're empty, a few spots outside behind some of the dorms). and it was alright, i didn't know anyone my first year for quite awhile who did it too so i didn't have a problem just goin out on my own.

however, this year, i met 2 guys from Minneapolis who do a bunch of stuff in the dubstep scene. first time i met them, they were right in the middle of an open field here on campus, right in the center of the dorm area (easily within view of everyone who might look out their window). I wasn't sure how i felt about that, but i went and said hi, and we've been hanging out and stringing and i hope to go to my first rave with them sometime (missed out on Basshunter the other week :( )

anyhow, one thing i noticed about these two is they're much more open about glowsticking. they have been on GSC before, but not a ton, but they do agree that battling sucks, it's an art and shouldn't be done just to show off, etc; many of the ideals that i agree with. but they'll just walk around their floor and string. and it kinda got me thinking how my floormates would react to me just doing it in the halls as I walk around. So I started, and while they all know me for two years now (most of them) and everyone knows about it as a hobby that I practice, I wasn’t surprised people didn’t care either way. But I wondered about stringing as I walked to the gym across the resident hall area on campus. So I tried it, and felt super uncomfortable walking past people. So I stopped, but it got me thinkin about what the culture and people here say about that.

Is stringing in public an acceptable thing to do? Whether its walking to class, or just sittin out in an open field at night, or on the empty tennis courts, etc? Any insight is cool!

And I just wanna say that I’m not going to take what people say here as an automatic yes or no. If I don’t feel comfortable with something, cause of the culture, then I won’t. its still my decision, im just looking to see what people think

Really I don't see anything really wrong with it. "Most" people in college are a lot more open minded and a lot less to start a conflict with you about stringing. If you want my personal opinion I probably wouldn't cause it would make me....uncomfortable in a way I think, cause it definitely would attract attention to yourself, even though your not really asking for it.

So I say do what you want. :dope

The stringing while going from point A to point B, like going to class, is kinda awkward.

As long as your not in the middle of as high traffic area, getting in people's way then I seen nothing wrong with it.

Just use common sense if it seems like it would be weird for there to be someone glowstringing, then it's probably not the right time.

Some people love to watch skateboarding, but not in a museum. < ------ vague analogy

The same would go for glowsticking.

Edited by bukklee

i agree with whats been said so far

nothing wrong with stringing on your dorm floor ( particularly at this point when you already know everyone) or practicing in your room with the door open or w.e there isnt a particular need to hide persay, although having a secluded spot is good for filiming videos / practicing un interrupted :)

as for going to class and in general as long as you dont hit anyone its ok (IMO at least) for me at least when im walking to class ( or when i used to when i lved in a dorm) it would have been fine like 90% of the journey, but personally i would hold back till i was out of my residence area ( my dorm was right beside an academic building) and i would probably stop when i was wituin 10-15 ft of the building i was going to depending on the traffic

in other words dont be "that guy" thats stringing amidst a sea of people walking by you

use ur own discretion, and if anything try it out one day maybe not doing poi / wraps but some string manips and if it feels weird then stop

i practice on the way to and from my university all the time ( and before people tart to freak out) but i do it when there is no one in sight so on off times during the day ( before high school / elemtnary schools are out), when im on teh way to or at the bus stop by my self at 5 or 6 in the morning same thng for one the way home at like 1 am.

mmk, cool. i just wanted to see what people think about this. ive kinda been relaxing about it, mainly around the dorm and such, and its all been cool and stuff. still dont feel comfortable out in the middle of a field with people around and stuff, but thats more my own not wanting to be watched when i string :P

I go to Cazenovia College, a private art school (as well as other majors, but mostly art related), and I glowstick alot around on campus. It's opened alot of conversation, not always simply just related to glowsticking. I've earned a few funny nicknames, like Jesus, and Matrixguy, which are pretty cool, because I'm really good friends with these people. I find myself practicing manipulations as I heard out for class, and meals, and whatnot. Yeah, some of the freshmen whom are still in their high school mind sets laugh and call names, but they do that to pretty much anyone that isn't in their little clique.

Sometimes people will ask me to show them something cool, so I will and then try to talk to them about why I do what I do, and most times it works. I open up to people, and therefore make a new relationship, and rarely am remembered for the glowsticking. It's just something fun to do. When it is brought up, I'll answer what they want to know and then we can go back to doing whatever it was we were doing Around campus, it's already been regarded as an artform, to the point where I was allowed to use my glowsticking as a painting project. (I'm actually replacing the chemicals with paint and doing a few moves and letting the paint be thrown to the canvas, but that's another story for another time.)

What I'm saying is that high school and college can be very different. I'm betting that one of the reasons that glowsticking is so accepted at my school, is because of the number of artists that go there. I am NOT saying that you will have the same results I have. I wouldn't have dared glowstick at all out in public. But the acceptance of my hobby, and the relationships I share with people that also have an interest in performance art are now invaluable to me.

Moral of my story: if you think that it is appropriate, give it a try. Of things don't feel right, just put them away. And never, under any circumstances, use glowsticking as a method to "one up the other guy". :)

I hope my paragraph doesn't get confused, making me sound like a show off. I don't show off, ever, I have no reason to. x.x

it's already been regarded as an artform, to the point where I was allowed to use my glowsticking as a painting project. (I'm actually replacing the chemicals with paint and doing a few moves and letting the paint be thrown to the canvas, but that's another story for another time.)

That sounds interesting. The real WALLPLANE weave, haha ha...... funny?

That sounds interesting. The real WALLPLANE weave, haha ha...... funny?

Uhm.... I'm afraid I'm missing the humor in this post. o.O;

Sure... In college, people do not have time for reputation or popularity. It's all about just doing your thing.

Sure... In college, people do not have time for reputation or popularity. It's all about just doing your thing.

Not always. Freshmen tend to still be in the popularity mindset. For some students, that mindset never leaves. You'd be surprised how childish and repulsive some of the students actually around here.

Not always. Freshmen tend to still be in the popularity mindset. For some students, that mindset never leaves. You'd be surprised how childish and repulsive some of the students actually around here.

Glad I don't associate with those folks. I may have little friends but my friends are great and are unconditional.

Well... Immaturity is everywhere.

Glowsticking in public isn't wrong at all.

It shouldn't be considered a taboo, although there is some controversy in the rave scene.

I also agree that battles go against our raving principles and values because it's not about showing off or seeing who's better.

It's about sharing.

In conclusion, it's OK to rave wherever you like, as long as you feel comfortable with it.smilewinkgrin.gif

It shouldn't be considered a taboo, although there is some controversy in the rave scene.

I also agree that battles go against our raving principles and values because it's not about showing off or seeing who's better.

It's about sharing.

In conclusion, it's OK to rave wherever you like, as long as you feel comfortable with it.smilewinkgrin.gif

Glowsticking (sorry, hate calling it "raving") whereever you feel comfortable could still cause some problems. Back when I first started, I would take a walk every now and then, later at night, and stick with either some 30 min highs or regs and this one guy who was driving past Leopard and I gave us quite a bit of heckling.

You gotta be careful glowsticking in public. Last thing you want is your character in question.

I don't understand what you are trying to say in this last sentence. but glowsticking in public can have many negative side effects. I'm too tired to write you another text-wall, but please... go read the threads under the culture section.

In conclusion, it's OK to rave wherever you like, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

raving =/= glowsticking. When someone is glowsticking, it is not "raving".

With no glowsticking in public, I would have never met this kid-

Mike.jpg

Which means that I'd never would have met these kids

IMGP0493.jpg

And would also mean that I wouldn't be here.

I met Mike (KaelGotRice) outside of our dorm because I was walking home from a class and he was outside practicing with dead sticks. I happened to have a pair of dead sticks in my backpack (you never do know when you're going to need them) and right there, right then, in front of whoever was walking by he started to teach me. I'm a proud supporter of glowsticking outside. It gives you room to move, fresh air to breath, and finally gets our nocturnal butts out into the sunlight to possibly get a tan.

I think it all comes down to what the purpose of the stringing is. If you're outside stringing trying to get attention and trying to show just how cool you are, you're doing it wrong. If you're outside because you're sick and tired of hiding in your dorm room, trying to find secret places to string, and just want to stretch out and be able to run around in circles while spinning circles, okay then, do it.

In high school- you run the risk of people over-reacting. Even if you're doing it just to stretch out your arms, if you're glowsticking in the quad, hall monitors, teachers, and staff will start freaking out and start assuming things. Your peers start to assume things, and suddenly people start glowsticking because you did it, and got everyone's attention, and they want to be an attention whore too. So, we say as a generic rule of thumb, don't do it at high school because the general high school population is full of idiots that don't understand and will take things the wrong way.

In college- no one cares. I'm too busy walking from my senior capstone English class to my Chaucer class, to really worry about whoever or whatever is going on in between the two classes. I don't care if someone is yelling at me to join a club, fill out a survey, come to a party, or do whatever else, I need to get to that class so I can graduate. The student body as a general will pay attention to it, will judge it in a glance, and from that glance either do the mental thumbs up, or thumbs down. Mental thumbs up- they'll watch and rubber neck as they walk by. Thumbs down- they'll try their best not to point and laugh.

All in all- there is no shame in glowsticking. Go out into the park, practice in your driveway, go have fun. Stop trying to hide yourself when you practice. If you hide yourself, it translates to you not feeling comfortable or proud of what it is that you're doing, and people will see that. Which one would you more likely worry about- the person spinning flowers in the quad at noon with a smile on his face or the person under the stairwell at the science center with his face in a corner so that no one can see what he's doing? By no means do I support getting in people's way and being stupid about stringing outside, don't stand in major walkways, or EVER hit someone, but I do support getting outside and stretching your arms out a bit to enjoy the unlimited space that is nature.

I can see how this situation can be acceptable:

All in all- there is no shame in glowsticking. Go out into the park, practice in your driveway, go have fun.

See, this definition of "public" is more or less somewhere where a random person, in theory, COULD walk by. Glowsticking on your driveway, in an fairly empty park, or outside in a non-crowded place is perfectly fine! These places are much more unlikely to have random people seeing you and judging you/ glowsticking in general.

Take our annual EDC LA meetup for example. Is the park considered "public"? yeah... but it is not public in the sense that a bunch of people are walking by you...

Glowsticking in the middle of campus when there are a lot of people around you is stretching it IMO.

I think there are instances where glowsticking in "public" can be okay... it just depends on your definition of the word. When people say they are against glowsticking in "public" they usually mean glowsticking in crowded places, or places where there are a lot of people in the vicinity. This is what I am against. I think the usage of the word here is what people are disagreeing with... or um. at least I hope it is?

Edited by Jebsax2006

(I think i caught all of the times i said it, but if I ever said "you" its referring to the article :) )

I guess I sort of agree with that article and sort of don't. It tells many truths, specifically that you don't want to be doing it where you'll be a nuisance or anything (making others move around you).

After posting this thread, I've found what I believe to be "okay" in regards to being around campus and stringing. For instance, i string on my floor all the time; in my room, the hall ways, the study lounge, my friend's rooms. But they all know me and know what it is. In addition, if someone is walking past or needs to study in the study lounge, obviously I'll stop. In terms of walking to class, there are many times (due to my crappy schedule) that I'm walking back to my room or to my class and I only pass someone every few minutes. I'll string as I walk, usually without lit sticks. I'll go behind one of the residence halls some nights and use lit sticks, so the only people who might see me are anyone looking out their window. But there's also an open field in the middle of all the halls that I'll go to and string too late at night. I've also gone out there and hung out with friends during the day. this is a field where people are throwing footballs, frisbee, sunbathing, playing guitar, etc. Everyone who uses it understands we all gotta share, so yeah, I might get in a guy's way if his buddy throws a bad disc, but likewise, he's in mine. and it's all cool. in these cases (maybe not the last one, i added that in when I re-read), I believe I would/my actions would agree with that article. You can argue I'm being a pest to the people on my floor (or the field), but without knowing the situation you can't say I'm wrong :P

But I guess where I have an issue with the article is what if I want to string outside in the sunshine after classes, in the grassy area in front of my residence hall (or that big field). It's not bothering anyone, I don't have lit sticks, but people can see me doing wraps and extensions and stuff when they walk past the sidewalk 20 feet away (or hanging in the grass). The article makes it sound (and I apologize if I'm wrong) like this is the wrong thing to do, just cause they can see me, and *might* think I'm showing off. Likewise, I could go to a park, night or day and people could see me. the article said going to a park or front yard is fine, but if people have the chance of seeing you and *might* think you're showing off or doing it to be cool, then it's a bad idea. So again, I should just do it when absolutely no one, or few people, are around? Then how can it also say we want to spread the art and show others, if we (to be quite frank, what the article says) always have to assume someone could think we're showing off? I believe it said that it doesn't matter if we are trying to or simply doing out hobby, if others think we're showing off. Like i said above, I can avoid the field or in front of my hall and go to a park at 12:00 at night and maybe only see 3 people, but if those 3 people think I'm showing off, I feel that article is saying that's worse than going to the field during the day with unlit sticks (or lit for that matter) and having no one think I am showing off, that I'm just doing my own thing. And I can't say I agree.

I can see the counter discussion. More people = more chance of someone taking it as me showing off. and I can agree, and maybe I'm an optimist and didn't know it, but I don't feel like saying everyone I meet is going to. especially in college where I feel the people who just wanna hang out, are gonna be like, "cool, do yo' thang!"

sorry if that got any bit confusing. I still fully support making smart decisions about where you glowstick, but that was just my thought process on that article, and posting for the sake of discussion :)

Edited by Arius

double post for a good reason.

so, i'm not sure if my point was just proven or debunked. let me finish working it out.

That field that I was talking about. when i go outside there I usually go about this time (2:00 AM), but i usually go when im stressed on weekdays, not the weekend. and have never had any issues before besides maybe someone yelling hi or something like that. but of course, there's always a group of drunk girls to go and ruin it. well, i was out there for about 5 minutes when i heard over my headphone music some girls and here come 4 girls running towards me. could smell the alcohol coming off of them. they're all like, "thats so cool, I wanna learn that!" and asking for pictures and stuff. so i put the sticks away for the moment and told them I just do it as a hobby and it's an art form and that i'd rather them not take pictures. we talked for a bit and I told them about this website (they kept saying they wanted to learn and I should teach them, so I said sure, but they had to go to glowsticking.com and read about it there first before i would teach them). They said okay but wanted a picture with me and i finally said ok, trying to keep the glowstick out... but after 5 minutes of taking pictures where I purposefully left the glowstick out and then failing to get away from them, I let them have the glowstick in the picture (funnily, my head got cut off). I also managed to slip them a makeshift business card so hopefully when they can't remember what happened tonight and they see the picture, they'll see the paper i gave them and maybe consider looking at that if nothing else.

Basically, I feel like a total shithead, especially after posting earlier about how i don't usually get attention there (and that's honestly true, I usually don't). However, again it comes down to circumstance, and in this case, it wasn't what I wanted. I believe I handled it the best I could given the fact I was uncomfortable having 4 drunk girls acting like that around me (not a common occurrence, i assure you!). In any case, I still believe that spot to be okay to string, though it'll be awhile before I use lit sticks there again. Additionally, this same thing could have easily happened down the road a bit at the nearby park as those girls were walking home. So I believe my above point stands, but I now have to add that caution is always necessary. I'm not looking to be told I acted right or wrong, that I shouldn't have gone there or if I should have just been rude and walked away from the girls. I just wanted to share cause liked I said, i feel like shit about what I said above and what now happened. Even though Im still not sure if i'm supporting or arguing the point I made in the last post :P

EDIT: after re-reading my above post and editing a small bit in there, I guess I have to say I still don't know if this experience supports or debunks my last post. It supports in the way that I feel we can't say one place is safe over another if we're basing it on who might think we're showing off. anywhere we go, we could be seen as doing that. on the other hand, it proves that some places are better than others, in certain situations. tonight was a bad one, tomorrow afternoon might be good. So I guess I'm still on the fence of how I feel about what that article is saying.

EDIT 2.0: sorry for all this, i'm still digesting what all happened and how i feel it went down. I re-read the article, and my initial feelings of it are still true. But in this situation, i believe I was okay, BASED ON WHAT THAT ARTICLE SAYS. it talks about crowded vs. not crowded areas. so, i would say tonight was not crowded, which would be okay. These girls came up to me and thought it was cool, but probably not that i was showing off (seeing as how there wasn't a crowd or anything). the article then says that we shouldn't be worried about what they think, but what they are thinking when they leave. I said all the good things about glowsticking and even referred them here, so i think it went well. and therefore, could still be a viable place to go and string. that being said, I still probably won't be going back there. kinda killed the mood and ended up being a waste of sticks.

so in conclusion, besides just working my thoughts out that I think the situation went as best it could, I still support my first post. I agree there are good and bad places to string, based on how crowded it is. Also, I still feel like even in the "ok" places, you can't tell everyone the good things about glowsticking and they still may assume you're just being a show off or on drugs, even more so than in a more crowded place. people will see you and assume the worst. the example the article uses says that someone saw a news thing and then saw it in real life. the same thing could be said at night in a dark park, but i feel the person would assume even worse, that the glowsticker was on drugs, in a dark park, doing god knows what else.

ok, i'm done now. sorry for the rants! I'm not trying to say the article or culture sucks, I'm just expressing my views/questions/experience! :)

Edited by Arius

I don't see the premise of why it would be a taboo to glowstring ( or -stick whatever you prefer) but then again i am new to this. I would think of it as playing guitar in public. During lunch at school, i play my guitar, people watch ask questions then go on their merry way. so i wouldn't think of it being to different from that. its also an opportunity to educate them :D that would be nice

basics: don't show the art to random people who won't respect the culture.

advanced: too much to go into.

basic rule of thumb: if you have ANY doubts of whether or not to crack your sticks, don't, until you no longer doubt.

bump

I don't have a problem stringing outside in public, but once people start to look at me, or stop to stare at me and be like, wow that's cool....nahhh that's so uncomfortable for me! If I'm at a rave that's different. The only people to see me string and me not have a care in the world is my roommate, and a few others at house raves.

I stringed all over my campus whenever i wanted and where i wanted. Screw them. I'm never going to see any of them again anyways. Idk, i guess i just don't care about people seeing me string since i'm use to also spinning poi in public. people are going to judge no matter what; if it's a nice day, go enjoy it and spin outside. Walking in between classes was fun. I would practice one hand spirals as i walked and it was a good way to pass the time. Just don't sell it past what it is. If people asked what i was doing i would say "spinning glowsticks, its fun. Want to try?" then they would try, fail, we luagh and i keep going. Although, with how big the EDM scene has blown up now that is probably why it is easier. Ive been stringing for three years now.