Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zenith

Toyota celicas

13 posts in this topic

So j was curious as to if any one on GSA owned a Toyota celica the 7th generation celica and if so could guide me in what i should look for when buying one cuz it's my dream car but Ive never bought a car and I don't noe what to look for when buying my specific dream car I know I should look for low milage and no accidents but idk hope you guys can help

You should definitely check out the whole thing! Take it too a trusted mechanic and have him look over it really well or tell the guy your buying it from you want an inspection done on it from a shop and you want to see the paper saying whats wrong/whats not wrong.

TBH you can never really trust anyone when buying a car from them, their probably always hiding something or lying about something else. But I mean you can judge the interior and exterior yourself, don't really need a mechanic to do that. But definitely have a mechanic check out the engine, transmission, drivetrain, if it don't start right up and sound good when you go look at I would walk away right then and there. And it being your first car, your going to pretty much wanna say fuck all that I just want the car, well if it looks good but runs like shit you will HATE the decision you made when your paying thousands to fix it 2 months later.

Thats my advice, just don't get fooled by the little things that are awesome, I would also line up like 5-10 different people with same car roughly around the same year and go and check them all out, then compare differences, that way you be able to see who really beat the shit out of there car and who didn't. To find a great car mechanically/cosmetically its not going to happen in a weekend.

Hopefully this helps in some way.

It did thanx trebek I shall do that but here in Miami not many people are actually selling celicas :/ it's sort of a rare car to find for sale but not rare to see it on the street but I shall definitely keep in mind what u have told me thanx again

A Celica, eh?

Not bad little cars, and the styling is pretty nice.

Are you getting the GT-S or just the normal ol' celica?

Are you planning on modifying the car or leaving it stock?

Is it from a dealer or from a private seller?

Check the tires, ask for a carfax, take it on a test drive, look under the hood, listen to it idle, adjust EVERYTHING that can be adjusted in the interior. Vents, seats, steering wheel, radio, a/c and heat, defroster; literally adjust everything that has the ability to do so. Look at the trunk, look at the spare tire and spare tire kit, if possible put it on ramps and look at the under carriage.

Most of these, of course, is if it's from a private seller. If it is from a dealer, they should be able to furnish you with a carfax report and safety inspection of the vehicle, signed off by the techs. If you buy the car, ask for a copy of it - they HAVE to give you one if you ask, its free. If anything goes wrong that they signed off on as being "ok" you have some leverage having that report.

But be reasonable - if it's a used car, expect normal wear and tear on some aspects.

Any other questions, just ask.

Definitly the gt-s and I might do some modding not sure and my friends gonna teach me manual so I hope to find it cheaper but I don't wanna get a sports car as my first manual car so I'm not to sure

Definitly the gt-s and I might do some modding not sure and my friends gonna teach me manual so I hope to find it cheaper but I don't wanna get a sports car as my first manual car so I'm not to sure

IIRC, the GT-S is a six speed manual?

But learning a manual is a very fun experience, and the driving experience is even better.

I used to own automatics, but once I got into the habit of driving a manual, it is the only transmission I will ever own again. Being able to shift adds a whole new level of enjoyment for me; but I suppose everyone is different.

Give it a go, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't go well right off the bat. Learning how to drive a stick is half the fun, the other half is ripping through gears when merging onto the highway ;)

Nope it's still a 5 speed I think the only 6 speed I can think of right now is the scion tc and thanx man I really hope I fall in love with manual

haha you remind me of myself. I was in your same situation back when I was 17...

I wanted a Celica too. I was obsessed with the Red GT-S. I searched forever until I finally found one that had a great price and was a manual transmission. I went to go check it out with my parents - we test drove it around, and everything seemed great. The company who was selling the car agreed to let us take it to a mechanic just to make sure everything was ok.

Thank god we did too. The mechanic informed us that the entire front end of the car didn't have manufacture stickers on the parts (aka the entire front end had been replaced with aftermarket parts). The front end also looked BRAND new - there was no debris under the front end at all. It had been in a wreck. and probably totaled before. :( !!!

Hearing that sucked! We took the car back and told the sellers that they were bullshitting us pretty much. It was at that point we realized they were pretty much trying to scam us. Even though they had an office, website, and an overall legit-looking company, they were playing dirty.

Moral of the story - the car business is shady. Be careful what you buy. ESPECIALLY from online ads and online sellers. A lot of them are super shady.

I'm actually very glad this happened though. It led me to find my dream car - a New black 2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE. It is a 6 speed V6, and I couldn't be more happy with it. It has been a great car

I hope the search goes well for you!

Damn I'm glad I'm nit the only one that is or was in love with the celica at my age I think it's a beautiful car but the tiburon is a crazy ass car very easy on the eyes as well I hope I find this car as well thanx :)

Get a v8 ;)

Nah-get the car you love. I have always enjoyed the look of the newer celicas. Good cars. :)

Let us know how it turns out

I'm more of an Eclipse guy :P

Don't get me wrong I love the late 90s eclipse but dude they are such big maintnece my friend has a 98 eclipse and it's like every couple ofmonth there's something new wrong with it and he takes great care of it but it's a sexy car just to high maintenance for my taste