Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glowflow

Cars With Class

5 posts in this topic

So i am just returning to these forums from a 4 year break. Used to post in here all the time. Custom imports have always seemed to be the topic in here and was wondering if i am the only one prefers the "Classy" rides. I used to own a TSi back in the day but since i became a mechanic i have come to appreciate the quality of those high priced cars. So this is a topic to post what you drive or your opinion on the "Classy" Car's. Feel free to hit me with your best shot if you feel the need just know i may refute what you say but no hard feelings in here i truly respect all cars and everyone has their own taste.

My Car:

2002 Jaguar X-type

Specs:

2.5 Liter V6

All Wheel Drive

UpGrades:

K&N Air Filter

Mina Gallery Exhaust

Chipped and Tuned For max performance changing STFT and LTFT, lengthen Injector Pulse and Slightly Change timing.

Mina Gallery 08 style Grill

18 Hilo Wheels (Black With Chrome Lip)

225/45/ZR18 Nitto NeoGen Tires

HID Head Lamps

Pioneer DVD/Navigation Head unit.

2 12" JL W7 Subs

2 Alpine 1200W Mono Block Amps

Entire car is Dynamatted

5% Tinted Windows and 50% on Windshield

Mina Gallery Brushed Aluminum Shift Knob

Mina Gallery Tail lights

and Mina Gallery Lower Mesh Insert (Black Chrome)

Paint is Jaguars Metalic Black

Is super Clean and my baby.... I picked her up from work for $2500 just because it had a broken coil spring on it. Pretty good deal considering it's an 02 jag with a 5 speed transmission and only 60k on it. And no it didn't come with the upgrades i did them myself.

Sounds like a sweet ride. Pictures?

My opinion on high priced cars I'm stuck in between....Now I've never owned a really expensive car, but in my time I've had 3 (I'm only 20) My first car was a 1991 3000GT SL which was freaking awesome, but it had massive amounts of problems pretty much all the time; I ended up totaling it one night.

After that I got a 1997 Grand Cherokee which was pretty sweet, but I couldn't drive it on the freeway...I would be driving along and it would just stop accelerating when I pressed in on the gas but the RPM's would still rev...So I would have to stop and let it sit for a few then it would work for about 10 miles then it would happen again, so iunno..Ended up selling it.

Now, I own a 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback Si with 311,000 miles and it still runs like a champ, I've had no problems with it besides for replacing the alternator, and some headlights an what not. Now I did put a new motor in it around 280K but the original motor was still running strong, and that motor had around 15-25K on it when put into my car. I beat the living shit out of my Honda sometimes too, just redlining it and what not, trying to pretend its fast, and nothing has happened I haven't done it recently cause I now I cant afford to really break anything if anything does.

But my point in all of this is, I've had 2 fairly new cars, that both were supposed to be reliable and they were not. Yet my Honda that is 20 years old and has 300K miles on it has been the most reliable car I've ever had, I've had it for almost 2 years now, bought in UT, moved to AZ for 8 months, now I live in TN, so moral of my story is Hondas are the shit!

Planning on buying a new car next year....Possibly 2003 Honda Hatchback Si, OR if I can find a reasonable 1993 Nissan Skyline, from someone in FL or Canada then I will get that. You have any dirt on either of those 2 cars?

Pictures.... i will have to get some and post them up for everyone, my buddies little brother wants to use the car for his high school photography class so i will see what he comes up with other wise i will take some with my phone and put them up.

No doubt about the reliability with honda's, you can treat them like crap for 20 years and they will still run. I think any car can do the same if the owner takes care of it. i didn't pay a rediculous price for my jag i actually paid less then most people pay for their 10 year old cars. I picked it up for $2500 off a guy that brought it to my shop for every service and took my word for everything it needed done and he had a perfect record with it. Unfortunately for him he had one of the coil springs break on him and while the part was only $80 it involved 10 hours of labor due to having to drop the sub frame which brought the bill to over $1,000. He decided he was just going to trade it in as is for a new car which he wanted anyway and his was paid off. I told him to let me know what they offer him and i might match it. He came back with $2500 and i went to the back and pulled it out of savings. Anyway it had 60k on it when i got it and now has 85k... ive never had a single problem with it everything is running smooth. So all and all you take care of any car and it can last forever.

Problems with cars usually come from not taking care of them.... Yes there are the freak problems that occur like the spring on my car but the odds of more then 2 in the life of the car are rare. If it has a freak problem every month good chance they are related and the problem wasn't fixed right the first time. There are the very rare cases of Lemon cars from the factory and i have only heard of 2 and both the factory gave the people a new car cause the problem was truly weird (Example: A 96 Camry wouldn't start every wednesday morning between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. turned out the frequency put off by the ladies dryer messed with the cars computer and she did laundry and she did it every wednesday morning between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.)

So another big factor is who owned the car before you... most of us buy used cars for obvious money problems. Most people who buy new cars don't care and treat their cars like crap.... Trust me i see it every day. So most used cars are doomed from the begining. So a good car comes down to luck of who owned it before you. So you can never truly judge a book by its cover. All i can recomend is to take care of your cars and shop around for the lowest miles you can. Hondas do last a long time but so do toyotas, BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Ford, Chevy, Jeep. And they all have their junk cars.

And to answer your last question 03 Si is somewhat rare mainly for the fact that tuner heads think they are gold and want way too much for them. The skyline ya definitely in the same alley with people thinking they are sitting on a Bugattii and they aren't. The skyline cost A LOT of money to make street leagal especially if they run emissions where your at.

I wouldn't say an 02 Jag would be a classy car..but that's just my opinion.

When the question of "what is a classy car to you?" my mind (without fail) will immediately rush to the upper-scale BMW's and Mercedes's.

For instance:

BMW M6 (drool?)

or any of the E series from Merchedes.

My favorite:

http://bp1.blogger.c...02+%2845%29.jpg

BUT!!!

In the end, my mind changes everyday from what I think a true "Classy" car is.

Sometimes, it will be that choice looking 69 Shelby or 69 Camaro or the like...other's its a super car. Other days, it's my baby ;)

I wouldn't say an 02 Jag would be a classy car..but that's just my opinion.

When the question of "what is a classy car to you?" my mind (without fail) will immediately rush to the upper-scale BMW's and Mercedes's.

For instance:

BMW M6 (drool?)

or any of the E series from Merchedes.

My favorite:

http://bp1.blogger.c...02+%2845%29.jpg

BUT!!!

In the end, my mind changes everyday from what I think a true "Classy" car is.

Sometimes, it will be that choice looking 69 Shelby or 69 Camaro or the like...other's its a super car. Other days, it's my baby ;)

Good point i guess class is just in the eye of the beholder... i think a 32 ford 3 window is pretty damn classy. I guess i just said that cause i have had so many people ask me if it is my parents car and i get pissed. Why can't someone my age drive a car nicer then a geo prism without their parents buying it for them? Maybe it just the area i grew up in i dunno? Everyone loves their own car if they are into cars at all.