Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trebek

String Manipulation Game #2

94 posts in this topic

So.....Since nobody else has started it yet. I will.

Let the games begin :dope

RULES

-Make your part not longer then 1-2 new steps to the current manipulation

-Do the whole manipulation in full, then show and be descriptive as to what your adding on, so other people can understand whats going on

-Good camera, lighting, multiple angles make a HUGE difference - so experiment

Edit: Sorry its cuts the whole top half off. Next video I will work on that. Or just not toss my arms up ha.

I re-did my part. 1 step - now people participate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iPZWvYu4Q

Here are all the parts that have been added so far:

Part 1

Part 4

Part 6

Part 8

Part 10

Part 12

Part 14

Part 16

NICE... I'm glad to see the 2nd Manip finally started :dope

Good to see a fresh face (kinda,mainly your t-shirt) in this thread.

I was at first having trouble because I thought I was missing something off camera, but it was me just not doing the wrist rolling motion correctly.

Maybe in the future, show things a bit slower and clearer. Like the part @ 7sec. - 10 sec. might be confusing for some (like me) since it happens fast. I get the idea & basically have it, but it might help to show the "little things" that make up the manip. Much like the way you showed the first part, breakdown the other parts the same. .. One thing I've learned during this game is..... What yourself might think as simple or basic may be completely new concept for someone else.

I hope the start of this 2nd Manip gets more people interested in this String Manip Combo Building Game

Yeah I kinda had a feeling that little part would be a little confusing. Next video I do, I will do the manip, then go slowly and show whats going on.

Might I suggest a few additions/rules be implemented in this version:

a lot of people could not participate in the last game becuase it was too hard. A lot of people are not that good at manips (like me), but want to try and contribute and learn.

might I suggest:

To make the game last longer, try to add just one single move. Trebek, I noticed your first entry had like 4 different moves. catch, wrist rolling motion, etc. Its going to be a little difficult to remember whats going on if everyone adds like 3 or 4 moves every time.

IMO, We need to make that one move very detailed and descriptive to let everyone know how to do it, and whats goin on.

I'm sure this will make participation greater as well. It will be less complicated

let me know what you all think..

Might I suggest a few additions/rules be implemented in this version:

a lot of people could not participate in the last game becuase it was too hard. A lot of people are not that good at manips (like me), but want to try and contribute and learn.

might I suggest:

To make the game last longer, try to add just one single move. Trebek, I noticed your first entry had like 4 different moves. catch, wrist rolling motion, etc. Its going to be a little difficult to remember whats going on if everyone adds like 3 or 4 moves every time.

IMO, We need to make that one move very detailed and descriptive to let everyone know how to do it, and whats goin on.

I'm sure this will make participation greater as well. It will be less complicated

let me know what you all think..

Yeah I know what you mean with the length of additions.

If you go back and look at the Original thread. The first 5 or 7 steps were pretty much 1-2 "steps" within the new step. It started with literally just a catch and then it gradually got more & more complex (personally I love the challenge) thanks to Demo & houLiang. :unworthy: But then I'm guilty also. I guess I was trying to "keep-up".

But when I originally thought of this String Manip thread, I was more thinking along the lines of literally 1-2 "steps" and then the next person would have to think of what to do next.

Let me be CLEAR I love how the Original String Manip Game is going and what it has turned into. I also want to see this 2nd Manip catch on with some more people, so I can see Jebsax' perspective.

Another perspective of mine, is that I had no skill in any complex string manips at all.... & I have learned all kinds of diferent concepts just practicing all the different additions. So it makes it that much more rewarding to finally figure the tougher ones out.

My suggestion would be to end the turn @ 5sec or 18sec OR refilm showing the rest of it slower & clearer.

I'll admit it can be difficult trying to explain a move you've been doing forever that you see as 1 or 2 "steps" but if you actually break it down step by step it ends up being 5-10 "steps"

Yeah I guess I didn't even really think about that in the first place. I do apologize, I think just doing 1-2 steps at a time is perfect. Cause I definitely want as many people to join as possible, and I'm sure everyone else does as well. I guess I kinda just went off on a tangent on mine. I will add to my first post some "rules" that should be put into consideration.

Seriously why hasn't anyone added to this yet?

I'm about to add onto my own part.......

Lol give me one night :)

Seriously why hasn't anyone added to this yet?

I'm about to add onto my own part.......

For me it's been work. Others maybe busy with school or whatever.

I was the same way when I started the first manip. I was impatient with everyone but I started to realize you need to give people some time ( at least a day or two) specially during the week. I was lucky enough to start it on Labor day weekend. so it started off pretty quick.

I'll mess with it at some point tonight, I swear. My night's pretty full but I'll try to film something, if not I'm sure houLiang's got your back. EDIT : : squeezed in some time real quick. i'm still having trouble with the "release" of it after the wrist rolling. I'm not worried seems like everytime I post about having trouble I usually get it shortly there after. LAST THOUGHT :: I think this start to the game works out better than it did before, much more accesible to everyone.

I ended up changing the video....I ended up doing only one part....Its still the same part just 1 step, so you could still probably do what your doing.....But I would look at the video again.

OK I've been slow-draggin' with adding on to this 2nd manip. I've been working long hours, this is our busy time of the year at my work.

BUT I SWEAR..... I WILL post something tomorrow.

In a way I hope someone beats me to it. :huh:

Haha sorry bukkle but i think i will post it first o.o here it is!!

FFFFFUUUUUU

I was gonna add a juggle. :P

It's a good thing you did because I still suck at the first step. I can't get the pulling my hands away part quite yet. in your video it's @ 9 sec. mark.

It should be something quite simple for me but, I don't know why I'm struggling with it. :veryangry:

I swear I will post an addition once I get some free time. School is getting pretty hard right now.

*bump

I finally got down the first two parts.

I don't know what my problem was with the first part, I just started doing it cleanly after awhile.

The second part got me because I was catching the sticks the opposite way of houLiang when he starts Part #2 ( he catches right in front of left ) It works the other way but the strings are wrapped in the opposite hand. Also took awhile to realize that I need to pinch with my thumbs while doing the juggle.

Need to take a break.... my thumb & knuckles are a little sore now. :dope I love that juggle though.

I'll try to come up with something to add, maybe later today.

Sorry, maybe I should have made my part a little more explanatory besides "just pull your hands apart" That is my bad, my parts from now on will be way more informative.

Also great I'm really hoping to get this game poppin off, I'm itchin to make a new part, but I will wait for others to get there parts in. :-) I'll work on the first one while I'm waiting

It took forever to upload but here it is FINALLY....

I was too lazy to put the effort in for subtitles tonight, but I will tomorrow maybe.

I guess my part ends when you fully undo the strings off your right-hand fingers. @ :13 , @ :39 , @ :58

I was just showing that they are unlinked

Quick tips ::::: the stick passes back through the loop the way it came. It's best to "wiggle" your fingers to a fingertip grip on the stick(almost like a dart). It helps to get your hand free of the strings.

I couldn't let this Game be neglected one more day.

How you came up with that idea I will never know...But it is awesome. I have filmed an addition that I will post tonight when I get home from work. And if I'm feeling up to it, I may try to learn the rest of #1.

How you came up with that idea I will never know...But it is awesome. I have filmed an addition that I will post tonight when I get home from work. And if I'm feeling up to it, I may try to learn the rest of #1.

Yeah it's not anything that I did before filming that day, just randomly thought of it. lol

I just try all sorts of different things to see what happens. I knew I wanted them to be unlinked at the end...and I went from there.

You know, I didn't even think about it but my last part probably is alot more difficult with LED sticks.

Yeah a little, but its still manageable, and mine are in pretty rough shape lol.

So I came up with something pretty quick after getting the last part down.

It's not the best filming I've done, but I wanted to put it out before anyone else added on. *evil laugh*

But for anyone that might of been planning on adding on to this part, fear not, because it ends how it starts.

I WILL film a better version tomorrow it's just too late to do it now.

BLAH BLAH

Here it is..... Part #5

EDIT :: It doesn't matter how you do the thumb-split. So.. Ignore the emphasis on the fact that they're linked on that last part of the video.

AND I SWEAR. I'm having a good time. Even though my face looks like my dog just died. That there's my concentratin' face. :thumbup: