Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cynicdave

[Article] ER doctors call for end to EDC.

19 posts in this topic

In an interview Monday, Dr. Marc Futernick, medical director of emergency services at California Hospital Medical Center, called it “unconscionable” for a publicly owned facility such as the Coliseum to host raves.

“I don’t know why our elected … leaders would allow these activities to take place,” Futernick said.

“This is basically a government-encouraged … drug fest. That’s the wrong message,” said Dr. Brian Johnston, director of the emergency room at White Memorial Medical Center. “It’s putting people at risk unnecessarily. It’s putting people’s health at risk.”

Article link here

Yeah, hospitalizations are horrible, but 100-200 out of 185,000 isn't that bad. Not enough to call for an end to an event...

Then again, this year's EDC was kind of whack, but if you searched for positive vibes and kept to your group it's an amazing event... Who needs the coliseum... Let's hope the rumors are true that Insomniac found a new venue for next year's EDC...

I went to EDC:LA in 08 -- With something like 90,000 in attendance the event was far too packed to do much. I freaked out when I heard that this year it was at 186,000. Honestly it seems like gross neglect letting a dance venue of that size get that large. They should have realized that this was not a football game where people would be sitting / standing in the same spot and limited the number of attendance. I really do hope they find a bigger and better venue to host it next year.

Yeah I saw this article floating around on facebook today.

Massives are getting ridiculous as far as attendance, but they won't ever go away as long as there is $$$.

I can't wait till raves fall out of mainstream so I can start going again.

Its the scene and there really is nothing anyone can do. Some e tard goes to rave and thinks it is awesome grabs like ten friends for the next one and the horror continues. Its a bunch of people that go just because its the cool thing. And go to far with what they take and or use (not saying it is right by the way). And well the rest is headliner news. Me personally think that the scene is a joke and kinda sickens me because of some of the things i see when i go. But me personally i am down for this trend of stuff to happen. Please i am not hating in anyway. But real raves were the underground. These are electric concerts and we have to remember that. But i love EDC. First one was 08 loved it and went the last two years just because how awesome it is. I am ranting so I am going to end this but yea hopefully they find a better place next year. I totally agree with that.

it really makes me sad that.. that EDC is almost completely about drugs... instead of the love of music now.

at least in my opinion from going my 2nd time.

it really makes me sad that.. that EDC is almost completely about drugs... instead of the love of music now.

at least in my opinion from going my 2nd time.

Yeah, the number of bros in attendance this year was ridiculous. I doubt most people there gave a shit about edm in general, or knew anything about rave culture other than "dress weird and take drugs wooo". The mainstreaming of these events is definitely negatively impacting the atmosphere. Beyond Wonderland was nice because it just started this year and the people who went were, you know, actually ravers. EDC this year gave me a serious Brave New World feeling, gross.

Also the number of people aimlessly spinning $0.99 LED light toys they bought from a cart on Figueroa in circles or maybe a butterfly was pretty sad, too.

EDC is getting worse every year. At this point they need to downsize the event and change venues, but knowing Insomniac that's not gonna happen.

EDC is getting worse every year. At this point they need to downsize the event and change venues, but knowing Insomniac that's not gonna happen.

+1

What the crap is lil jon and william doing at EDC!?!?

Looks like they sold too many damn tickets, and didnt care since its more money and more hype for next year

Were people even dancing in the collisum?

Some of the people in the stands were but thats all i could see. I had to leave there because to many scene stars were there and that was it for me. I figured Sasha and Freddie Le Grand would have better sense than those main streamers. Lets just put it this way there were to many Brosif dance circles and way to le4ss people enjoying themselves.....from what i saw at least. I dont know maybe i am wrong but yea stupid.

I hate the fact that we spend our money to go see something that we hope to be great. Go see the DJ's, people we know and basically have a great time and this scene is out of proportion. I dont want to quit stringing because thats just a stress reliever for me but raves in general. If the streak starts going downhill it will be a bunch of bros, PTOTS (Prostit Toddlers), and people that just dont understand.....pretty much useless ravers.

But on a brighter side this site has set up some great meet ups. Especially the Southern California ones. If worst comes to worst get some djs to meet up at a park and just have a kick back little meet with friends. Oh well i am done lol.

What the crap is lil jon and william doing at EDC!?!?

Looks like they sold too many damn tickets, and didnt care since its more money and more hype for next year

Were people even dancing in the collisum?

God I know, why did they throw horrible MCs over good house acts. Sporty O ruined Felguk for me, and listening to the Benassi set (that I missed because they closed the field at Stupid O'Clock) there's some awful guy yelling "GETCHA HANDS UP" and other retarded shit over the music. All the hip hop pandering to bros is disgusting. Oh well, I guess it's smaller parties for me from now on, having some shitty MC grunting over Benny Goddamn Benassi is a war crime.

Wow, after reading all the news and what not about EDC this year kinda makes me glad that I've never been and makes me more likely to goto UMF, it seems like more of a place for less dumb asses, but I'm sure it is equal maybe, just not as big.

I also just read an article about some 15 year old girl who passed out and her friend tried to shield her and people just ended up stepping on them, they took her to the hospital and some of her organs and all that had started shutting down....Crazy, if your going to take drugs and act like a fucking moron at least do it "safely" and take your proper precautions.

This is why I hate raves every rave is the same, a bunch of fucked up idiots, who don't know what its really about. Really REALLY bothers me. But yeah I'm gunna stop before I type a million words.

Check out this news report on CBS:

A rave warning

Shit's gettin' serious. Insomniac is full of very smart business people and they can afford very expensive lawyers so I'm pretty sure EDC at the Coliseum isn't stopping anytime soon.

I think this might be a good thing in a general sense. Im hoping for an 18+ event that requires an ID for everyone xP.

As for EDC... this event will continue. Honestly I loved this years EDC. There was plenty of room on all the side stages minus the Kinetic Field and maybe the DnB stage (which I avoided both completely). Neon Garden stage had so much room all night long and had amazing vibes for me. If this event wont be held at the Coliseum, it will just end up at another venue selling just as much tickets I would assume.

I think stricter regulations on age and actually enforcing it might happen though, but thats not a bad thing.

So i watched that video....hate to be the mean one again but does anyone think that that mom is in denial or is it just me. Pull the plug i say because your daughter is one of the many main stream ravers that did more than she could handle and is paying for it now. or am i just being mean

fyi sorry if that was to

UMF has LOTS of space and there aren't any fences (everything is nicely set in position - hard to describe if you've never seen it). The drug factor is.. hmm... more mature, however they are your kiddies still getting fucked up beyond their minds! This will always exist as it is a festival and people do drugs at festivals (even the young) since the begin of time in the world of festivals. People need to accept that if they cannot.

The security is very high at UMF so there's not much chaos in comparison with EDC and this is something that I am grateful actually. Ticket prices aren't cheap! Damn right >:] Also something I've noticed from glowsticking previous years is the ATF is all up in the bitch like a mofo, They tend to come to us for leads but soon or later will leave you alone once they realize what your game is. I didn't once see any of this at EDC last year and the previous year... reasons behind that? I dunno.

Also interesting to point out on the clusterfucking / population - Ultra sold out last year both days! There's surprisingly an accommodation and it is also actually enforced. As I am sure some of you heard people couldn't get in, that was why! They stop selling tickets once they reach the capacity of the park.

This could also be the very reason why they want to do three days! Rather than letting more people in :-p perhaps?

As far as EDC goes, I love the light systems, and the overall setup theme, and best of all the music. Amazing sets <33 and I can't forget all of you guys.. all together and the Ultra Circle. Something UMF can't ever go against that! But there are their differences, and from the rep that EDC got this year it really doesn't look good.

Either way the festival will live on I am sure!

And hopefully reading this some of you will consider checking out UMF as I think it's worth it...

Side note, I am curious about what Electric Zoo Festival has to offer :] unfortunately I will miss it this year. Meh.

It's 5:45am in the morning, sorry if there any errors mates x_x *facepalms into his desk*

Im with Rage and everyone that wants the rave "fad" to die out so we can start from the ground up. cuz its crazy now...... there is no PLUR :( not in the rave scene now.....

yes uh first of all my sympathies/empathies towards the girl who died at edc i havent been yet wanna go just cuz of the ultra circle and the djs not lil john or any of those dumb fuckers they shouldnt have even been there and if these music festivals continue to get worse then fuk it ill stay at the small raves where the people there arent just going to go on a drug trip yes its there but ultimately you cant stop the use of drugs in the scene but still its just i dont know its frustrating to hear all this news about these non djs and nonravers and all that shit it needs to be real and i dont know all the bad vibes that i hear at the massives which i have yet to go to uh its just a waste of time and money for me but ill get you guys a better opinion when i come back from a few of the massives im planning on going to in 2011.