Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cynicdave

2010 Ultracircle Review

15 posts in this topic

Summary:

Another year where we had to move it to a different location because EDC just keeps getting more and more packed, but it turned out okay. Definitely held its own as as a great ultra circle. certainly not as epic was 2008, but everyone was a pro, and it certainly felt pretty smooth sailing to me. this year has been a lot less "drama" in terrms of GSC so maybe that had a lot to do with it.

Pro:

Music was better than 2009.

They had cameras on huge cranes and they displayed the ultra circle on pimp LED screens.

a lot of new faces

Con:

The stage was brighter than the colliseum or the kinetic fields so the ultra circle didn't seem as bright as when it was held in the darkness

no hassles with battlers this year.. people generally was okay with taking turns.

we didn't have multi-stage cracks this year

sounds like it went great! can't wait to see some video footage

Glad to hear things went well. To bad the lighting was so bright though, an ultra circle in the darkness is a beautiful thing. Can't wait to see the video!

Nice to hear that it all went well.

One question though, how is it a con that there were no hassles with battlers?

Cheers

disappointed i had no idea where the circle was until too late :(

Ultra Circle was epic this year. Everyone from east coast oh man and the new faces. About to bring myself back. Hey west coasters....help a former member out and get back to his roots. But yea awesomeness. Great job to all that were in.

FYI thank you Dave for another great Ultra Circle and for what you brought together with this website.

Edited by hardcorehand868

This was my first Ultra Circle and it blew my goddamn mind. I'm embarrassed to say I can't stick usernames to every performer, but everyone was amazing. A few of my favorites who I can't name were the guy in black doing those chained horizontal isolation poke things, the three sticks and a hat freehander, Green+orange handles guy, and that one stringer who ended with an incredible optical illusion manip that made it look like he pulled his strings through his shoulder and then did a crazy unwind... thing. Amazing. Of course Guinto, Melvenorc, Dave and Demo (nice shirt lolz) all killed it, too, and probably a bunch of people I'm forgetting. Special shout outs to EdsonRod, who I saw make huge progress since I saw him at the 1st LA glowshop, and Aergonaut who is sorta my stringing buddy and old friend.

Sorry I made such an ass of myself (I did a timed ground crack to a beat drop and... nothing else interesting :( ), I'm normally not that bad, but I froze up hardcore and couldn't do anything but weave and wrap. Shaaaame. Mad props to everyone who can perform with that kinda pressure, the respect I have for all you guys is just huge. Thanks for a magic moment. Maybe next year I can throw in an orbital or two ;)

Edited by Tossrock

That sucks that it got moved. I heard the main stage shut down at 5 PM for letting people in on friday, lol.

That is ridiculous.

Ultra Circle was amazing, even if it was a little bright at Circuit Grounds 'cause of the stage and all the fire erupting out of the pillars. I think the cameras and the giant TV screens made up for it.

It was great to run into all of you guys again there. I missed the initial crack because I went to the stage on the other side and had to backtrack all the way back around which sucked. Non the less great sticking from all and thanks for blowing my mind once again.

The side stage worked decently but I think it might have resulted in the less than bountiful turn out. Also the music had more lulls than I expected from an electro dj.

Edited by Mindlesslogic

Since this was my first ever ultra circle, I was literally blown away by how many glowstickers came out. The last time I have ever seen that many GSC ppl was at the art of glowsticking workshop for AX08 when I first got into glowsticking, and it brought back some fond memories of my own humble beginnings. Freehanding alone for about two years has been quite a struggle and it was nice to finally have others to share the art with. Meeting a lot of the members in person for the first time brought a giant smile to my face and may I say that although I am not as active on this site as I would like to be, each and every person here has been an inspiration for me and my freehanding. It is because of each and every member that I am able to push the boundaries of my own individual creativity towards new unknown soaring heights. Thank you to each and every one of you who participated in this magical moment of utter bliss. It is because of you that I was able to find this light of happiness and it is merely your presence alone that contributed towards the wonderful inviting energy that light brings in complete darkness. As I told Spazzman earlier, glowsticks have been the shining light in my dark world and I'll never forget that.

Much love,

Kyle 'Clutch' Jimenez

Shout outs:

Dave (Cynicdave) - for creating GSC, mad freehanding skills, and friendly inviting personality.

Aaron (Spazzman) - all the vids that you've posted over the years that served as a basis for my own freehanding, as well as your words of inspiration and encouragement. Will definitely hit you up if I'm in the NYC area for sure!

Ray (Greens2dust) - Trying to teach me an orbital air wrap, even though I failed, your stringing, isolations and freehanding.

Jeff (Nmestarr99) - All the vids you've posted, for teaching me tosses, and just being and over all cool ass dude! Like we always keep saying, we have to hang out, lol!

Brian (Melvenorc) - Being the first ever GSC person I met at the Summer 08 meetup at Metreon. Your stringing has always been something that has put me in a state of awe.

Nalin (IndianSpicedRice) - Always seeing you at every rave I end up at, your conjuring skills and being another dope ass homie!

Cody (Ange) - Though I kept missing you at EDC, for being the one GSC member I've have the opportunity to kick it with the most, and all the crazy talks about trance and glowsticking after the raves.

John (Global J) - Your stringing in the ultra circle was just as magical as the first time I meet up randomly at spookfest 09 and it always brings a smile to my face.

Griever - Epic ass freehanding skills, your raw flow and style has always been something I've looked up to esp. due to the lack of freehanders I know.

Guinto - Being one of the original GSC members I got to meet at my first meet up. Your stringing and glowsticking style is crazy good!

TKstick - Your freehanding with sticks connected together was pretty cool, and gave me new concepts to experiment with.

Epictracer - For hooking me up with some of the NorCal GSC contact info, your freehanding and overall being a cool dude.

Freehander passing out ultras? - I'm sorry I do not remember your name, though I know you told me, thanks for trying to teach me how to juggle two glowsticks in one hand although I'm still in the process of working on that.

Anyone I forgot to mention due to my inability to remember names.

P.S. If people are wondering, 'who the heck is this?' I was the freehander wearing the white buttoned down collared shirt and grey SF Giants baseball cap. Just thought I'd clarify. ^^'

<3

First ever rave, first ever ultra circle, and today I bought my first ever LED sticks. The three are related. Thanks for helping make EDC one of the best experiences of my life, everyone. I hope to see some of you around at future events.

(For the curious, I was the awkward guy in the black jeans and gray t-shirt with a breast pocket.)

Straight up was AMAZINGGGG! holy shit, one of the greatest experiences of my life, no joke. seeing all my favorite stringers crack live was soo off the chain. saw some freakin TECH freehand that blew my mind. wow. such a great moment.

haha took me forever to jump in that thing. After Matone had went i KNEW i had to go haha, he later told me that he knew i wouldnt go so he jumped in to inspire me haha and it worked :D

I was so looking forward to glowsticking with everyone and i had some thought of how inspired id be after watching everyone, but wow, i was so wrong, my expectations were wayyyyy short hahah, complete utter chaos = inspiration infinite +2 =D

And the premeetup was so awesome, getting to kick it with everyone, had a great time

haha wanna say thanks to Demo for saving me and matone from being stranded at the wrong place, hahah it was great. he knew it was me from my gages, and i knew it was him from his fro hahah definitely will never forget my first EDC pre meet up. No amount of words or thanks could truely explain the gratitude i have for everyone that came out and took part in such a great moment.

What inspired me most; when everyone said it was impossible for me to graduate, was the thought of getting to see, hang and glowstick with all the people i looked up to, and meeting new people... still makes me soo happy and giggly thinking about my awesome trip.

awesome Awesome AWESOME

SUPER HAPPY, smile from ear to ear

<33333