Sign in to follow this  
Ph0toN

Are We Elitist?

16 posts in this topic

Are we elitist?

Over the years there have been multitudes of people who have called Glowsticking.com an elitist website. There have been multiple reasons for this name calling, most of which has come from an extreme misunderstanding of our views. This article is intended to address these views and shed some light on what we are really about.

The most common reason for the name calling is that we have specific moral values, beliefs and standards here on Glowsticking.com, which are as follows:

1. We do not believe in battling or competing with the art, as it breeds contempt for other glowstickers, demoralizes others and judges that one glowsticker is better than another (which coincides with the very definition of elitism).

2. We do not believe in showcasing or selling the art by performing on a stage. Again the reasons for this are the same, as when someone gets on a stage they are automatically placing themselves above other glowstickers by being in the spotlight, as well as being on a raised platform where all attention is drawn to them. This also includes talent shows, which are not only extreme instances of showcasing, but are also forms of competition.

3. We do not believe in forming crews, which are a way of separating one group of glowstickers or light related dance performers from others. Crews, in most cases, are also formed with the specific goal of competing with other crews. There are those that like to say that Glowsticking.com itself is in a sense a giant crew, but the difference is, aside from the obvious fact that we do not label ourselves as a crew, that we welcome anyone into our community regardless of their skill level and we do not compete with the art.

4. We do not believe in being paid to glowstick, as this not only promotes competition between people seeking a pay slot, it also dilutes the art for the performer by making it a job instead of something done for enjoyment.

5. We do not believe that glowsticking should be done in a high school setting, including high school dances. Time has shown us that generally people in that age group just do not have the maturity level to understand the core values of the art. They either pick it up because they think it will make them look cool, or else they get made fun of by others. This does not mean to say that everyone in high school is immature, just that in most cases it turns out to have negative consequences.

Many people seem to greatly misunderstand this set of rules we enforce here on Glowsticking.com. The number one misunderstanding is that we apply these rules to everyone, which is not true. The rules only apply to people who are on Glowsticking.com. It is a privately owned website and we expect people who use the resources on it to abide by our rules. People who are not on Glowsticking.com are free to do as they wish, though we will look down on and not support what they are doing if it goes against our core values.

Do we try to intercede when we see things outside of Glowsticking.com that go against these values? Yes, absolutely. In most cases when we explain our values to those in charge of the situations we intercede in they change their minds. Occasionally they maintain their stance, in which case we leave them alone to do as they wish. To each their own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, we will not stand for people practicing things that go against what we're all about while they are participating in our community here on Glowsticking.com.

Another reason some people call us names is that they think we're practicing the art for the attention. While we can't speak for everyone that's in our community, doing it for the attention goes against our core beliefs in that it's another form of showcasing. If you do happen to see someone on Glowsticking.com who is practicing the art for the attention, chances are they haven't been practicing the art for very long. The people who have been around for a long time and have put years of practice and dedication into the art would not be doing that if they were seeking attention and instant gratification. You can ask just about any Glowsticking.com member that's been around for more than a couple of years why they do it and they'll all tell you the same thing, speaking of the joy and beauty of the art and the culture behind it, backing up our core beliefs. There is no way to know what the intentions of every member on Glowsticking.com are. When we hear of someone glowsticking for attention we confront them and explain to them why it’s wrong, attempting to instill in them some values and love for the art. We apologize if you have ever run into anyone from Glowsticking.com who was obviously glowsticking for the attention, as they were severely misrepresenting our community.

So what is this mysterious culture you hear us constantly referring to?

The culture we refer to is in a sense a duality. We refer to the culture with the meaning of both the rave culture and the glowsticking culture. The rave culture originally came from a scene that was underground, in which participants came together to enjoy music, dancing and sharing with each other freely. The term PLUR, which these days is widely tossed around with no meaning, was used to describe what the scene was all about. It stands for Peace, Love, Unity and Respect. In days past these were the ideals you found in just about every person who was in the scene. They were the embodiment of the rave culture: Be peaceful, don't fight with others in the scene. Love those who are enjoying the party with you. Come together for one night and celebrate in unity. Respect one another despite your differences.

The glowsticking culture is in essence both a part of and a spin-off of the rave scene. It can exist outside of the rave scene, but the roots of glowsticking are forever planted in rave culture and thus the values carry over. Though the term PLUR has become diluted over time, these things are a large part of what our core beliefs here on Glowsticking.com are based on. We strive to hold true to what the rave scene was founded on.

Does this mean that because of the respect we show for others that we should allow people in our community to do as they wish, battling and showcasing and so forth? No it doesn't. These things in themselves are disrespectful to others. While we do show respect for others, that doesn't mean we should allow our community to become diluted with negativity and then show respect for those who bring the negativity. We will not however, disrespect them. We will look down on their negative practices yes, but that is not the same as disrespect. When worst comes to worst the most we will ever do is ask someone to leave the site or forcibly remove them if they won't comply with a request to leave.

In the end, does this come out as elitism? In our opinion, no it doesn't. All it amounts to is looking out for our own community and doing what we feel is best for them. Keeping the original core values of the rave scene alive in the minds of our members and helping them to pass this knowledge on to others who may not have been around in the past to experience it, with hopes of preserving and rebuilding at least a small part of what this wonderful culture was originally founded to be.

Edited by Ph0toN
  • Upvote 4

I absolutely agree with what you said, and I believe this is by far one of the best articles I've read up to the moment summing up everything in one clear post. Is this pinned?

I agree.

I'm LordHappyPantsXIII and I approve this message.

Very good article, I agree with Lockshot, best one out there so far. PIN PLEASE (never mind, I just saw that it is already pinned)

Cheers

Edited by Tico

Excellently written, well thought out, and perfect for educating the uninformed.

Plus rep. :thumbup:

Change the rules, this is fucking whack, nobody is on the website cause of bullshit like this. I'm done figuring it out.

Actually, a new layout could be desired, it is a tad askew even on my desktop.

but elitist... No, just grown folk :: 3

Lol. OG YO.

"stick" Around Osho, may learn somthing new.

<3

Change the rules, this is fucking whack, nobody is on the website cause of bullshit like this. I'm done figuring it out.

Actually the website revamp is why it died out. It was hard to navigate and visually unappealing, after that it just died.

Edited by Rorok
  • Upvote 1

Yeah... I know you guys might not like this, but I agree with Osho. These rules are dumb. Glowstick at a school dance if you want.I don't care about the culture. I just want to dance and have fun anywhere. What do you mean people in high school are going to understand? What is there to understand? He's dancing with glowsticks. That looks cool and it's fun. Who cares if you perform at a talent show? Everybody's going to see it and think it's awesome. Nothing bad is going to come from it. All of this stuff in your heads.

• Like 1

Personally I have no issue with the rules being relaxed a little bit, as in not banning people just because it was found out that they were going against the rules.  But that's only so long as they don't bring it here where the environment is designed to be a safe place where glowstickers can hang out together and learn without getting the typical high school battler treatment of being told they don't belong because they're not skilled enough.  I've seen it happen here on gsc with people who have been banned in the past.  I've seen it happen on other sites where they don't have rules of any kind.  I've seen it happen in the party scenes.  People forming elite little crews and telling newbies they're not skilled enough to hang with them.  People discouraging others from ever really starting to learn how to glowstick because they've been shunned and told they're not good enough.

You say nothing bad comes from it and that it's all in our heads.  Let me point you to the best terrible example of what high school immaturity brings to the table, the story of how a girl was maliciously drugged by a young battler and her unborn child paid the ultimate price and lost its life before it ever got started:  http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/topic/3697-saving-texas/

The high school battle mentality has caused the glowsticking scene to have an actual body count, which is very sad and should never have happened.  That is the extreme end of the things the rules are in place to prevent.  On the less extreme end, we just want to have a safe friendly non-discouraging environment for people to learn and make friends.

Also Rorok is correct in that the site died out due to the half finished update that made gsc look like a broken site for years on end.  The rules were here long before this place died, through all the years leading up to the peak of its popularity and afterward, and people kept coming and staying regardless.  But the site got broken by that update and even I quit coming around because of it.

I'll just be outright honest and say this isn't like how it was years ago, as most people saw. We do have people signed on and registered that battle, participate in competitions, etc etc. They just don't bring it here, and from what i've seen via facebook, they don't get dramatic about it, any ego's or anything else. Most of the people learning flow arts and things today aren't really in high-school, compared to how it was years ago. Everyone's different, but just the flow scene in general I feel has boomed, while I feel glowsticking itself has diminished.

Xyphox, I disagree, photon's linked story, as well as playing a "What if" situation can always apply. Yes, people have egos. People get butthurt, arguments and shit start, could escalate. This is rare, but it CAN happen. I do agree, most people think it's awesome, but like lets say you have a group of like 20 competitive people trying to go against eachother to see whos best for ego reasons, and one out of the 20 gets butthurt, a million things could happen. As far as a talent show scenario, I don't see anything bad coming out of it either. I could go on more about this, but I'd rather discuss that in a PM.

Let's not even apply that to glowsticking or flow arts, but anything in your everyday life. Like a job for example, you do better than everyone else, get promoted, other workers get jelly / butthurt, and shit can get crazy.

Dude I can throw scenarios at you all day, but in the end, it really depends on who you're around. I'm at the point as in I don't care what happens, just don't bring drama into it. Don't let egos get the best of you, and work together.

Sounds like you're agreeing with me rorok lol. I'm just saying go have fun. I'm just saying don't worry about, "Am I allowed to glowstick here?" If you want to glowstick, do it.

You're right the what if game doesn't really mean anything. People do bad things all the time, and setting a bunch of rules isn't going to stop a bad person from doing bad things. That applies to all situations in life. If you are nice to others, they're generally going to be nice back and you'll enjoy yourself much more. There will always be people who are confrontational and looking to start problems.

My point is: don't worry about rules. Just have fun and dance.

THink smart, Be safe && HAVE FUN!

About this layout though,

I think its broken..

Edited by Dgloww

Sounds like you're agreeing with me rorok lol. I'm just saying go have fun. I'm just saying don't worry about, "Am I allowed to glowstick here?" If you want to glowstick, do it.

You're right the what if game doesn't really mean anything. People do bad things all the time, and setting a bunch of rules isn't going to stop a bad person from doing bad things. That applies to all situations in life. If you are nice to others, they're generally going to be nice back and you'll enjoy yourself much more. There will always be people who are confrontational and looking to start problems.

My point is: don't worry about rules. Just have fun and dance.

Hahaha! More of a agree as well as disagree, it goes both ways. Apparently it never showed you replied, whoops.