Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aqua

Why does everyone ask if I'm rolling??

26 posts in this topic

OK, so it has never failed that whenever I got to some sort of massive or rave that I get asked that question, "Are you rolling?"

I remember meandering the threads and finding a topic of how to start up conversations at raves, and this is how every stranger seems to start up a conversation. Does anyone else find this true?

Yes, happens quite a bit.

The general sterotype of anyone that goes to events/raves is that you're going to the event in order to do drugs. Like people that go to metal shows all like to drink and/or mosh, or people go to reggae shows to smoke. Those things may happen at the event, but doesn't mean that all of the participants are doing so. Just because most people do, doesn't mean everyone does. But the majority is what society looks at, which is quite unfortunate.

People can go to an event because they want to go to an event. The fact that there are people who actually go to events to roll is what is killing the scene and overall outlook of raves/events/eventgoers.

What's really lame, is when you tell them that you're not rolling, and they say, "Awwww, why not?". ಠ_ಠ

Edited by Demo

^ What he said. ._. Plus, have in mind that everyone who asks you that is either already rolling or looking to score some E. lol

They are killing the scene. :<

ಠ_ಠ And Shizzy is not amused by it.

Edited by Shizzy

lol man people ask me all the time I guess if you spinn poi you have to be rolling lol it's just my style of dance to the music I love

because it's an excellent question all around:

for predators , they ask this for girls before they hit on them

for other rollers, they ask this before they start hanging out massages and light shows

for sober people, they want to ask this before they start getting too touchy feely

for girls, they want to either know if they want to e-hoe it with you or avoid you

for glowstickers, they want to know if they should or should not crack ultras near the general viscnity of your eyes

for cops, to see if they should arrest you

for medics, to see how they should treat you.

Sadly I get this question alot, especially when I am wearing all of my kandi. I had someone ask me that at a club not too long ago:

dude - Heya, you want any shrooms?

me - Nah, im sober

dude - really?

me-yeah...

dude - ... You look like you would love some. (walks away)

me - >_<

Its annoying that people just assume that everyone there is on a substance, and I get extremely tired when people think Im not having fun without them. I usually get the last laugh as Im enjoying the headliner DJ, dancing my ass off and loving life, while they are off totally missing the amazing vibes that they crave so much.

UMF 09';

at least 3 guys; "Hey you got any pills?"

me; "No."

3+ guys; "you know who hasany?"

me; *boot to the head*

Edited by Dogman

Even at Disney's Grad Nite I was asked if I was rolling five times just cuz I can actually dance.

There is no doubt that rolling is associated with the culture so when you are around it; unfortunately it's something that's going to come up for a number of reasons some of which Dave listed.

There is also a new wave of people hitting the scene (at least out here in ny) who don't have any idea of what to expect but the stereotypes so that's their way of trying to come to their own conclusions about the scene.

I would say, while it is frustrating it makes no sense really to get angry. A polite no will suffice and the next time they see you, they won't have to ask and maybe will ask more educated questions.

I was asked this several times because I was sweating so much and then one dude with pockets full of tabs tried to convince me they were good for you

Rolling is an inseperable part of our culture. That's not to imply that everyone should roll. I'm just saying that it is part of what makes raves what they are. Don't feel left out if you don't roll, but don't demonize those who do. Some of my deepest spiritual experiences have occurred while rolling. Raves are sacred. Thanks for making them that way...rolls or no rolls. I love you all.

Rolling is an inseperable part of our culture. That's not to imply that everyone should roll. I'm just saying that it is part of what makes raves what they are. Don't feel left out if you don't roll, but don't demonize those who do. Some of my deepest spiritual experiences have occurred while rolling. Raves are sacred. Thanks for making them that way...rolls or no rolls. I love you all.

Perfectly said imo. I feel as long as the people that do roll from time to time at raves are able to control themselves and not act like an idiot, it shouldn't be completely looked down upon.

Edited by BaroqueStar

The problem to me seems to be that a large part of those who do drugs do not know how to control themselves.

Cheers

That happens to me more often than not. Be it at a rave or just practicing in my free time at school, people always ask me if I'm rollin'. It frustrates me to no end that most people see glowsticking and drugs as a synonymous pair. Most of my classmates are of the mindset that you can't be a glowsticker if you're not stoned out of your mind, and I've spent the last 2 years of my high school career trying to kill that common belief as best as possible. Alas, my words have fallen on deaf ears and most of my classmates are as shortsighted as ever... Friends who listen are nice though...

Life is fickle...

Jasonromulus, I'd like to point you to our rules about sticking in high school, available here.

Cheers

That happens to me more often than not. Be it at a rave or just practicing in my free time at school, people always ask me if I'm rollin'. It frustrates me to no end that most people see glowsticking and drugs as a synonymous pair. Most of my classmates are of the mindset that you can't be a glowsticker if you're not stoned out of your mind, and I've spent the last 2 years of my high school career trying to kill that common belief as best as possible. Alas, my words have fallen on deaf ears and most of my classmates are as shortsighted as ever... Friends who listen are nice though...

Life is fickle...

Yeah you shouldn't be glowsticking in high school... tico gave a link. >.>

that should be fairly obvious to anyone on this site XD

You know, this topic caught my eye because i cant remember the last night i went out and freehanded ANYWHERE without being asked if i'm rolling or i'm on something. I have to say from a weird backwards sort of point of view like mine, i'd be almost insulted if someone DIDNT ask. Two reasons behind that realization poped in my mind. 1 you are so good that you must be on something....... Well no i'm not on anything, but the compliment is nice, especially when you see the respect grow in there mind because you can freehand sober and make it look good. 2 if you are freehanding but having a really off night, they might ask you that just to make sure you are doing okay, i've personally had to go to the med tent at 2 events in 5+ years of freehanding, but people caring is ALWAYS a good thing.

Resurrecting a dead thread... but...

I thought this was an interesting topic because last night my husband asked me if getting into glowsticking meant I was going to start doing drugs. >_< I told him that there's no reason why I should do drugs to glowstick because I just love dancing and things that glow so it's only natural that I like it and he told me to "be careful" because "all glowstickers are on drugs", and that's "common knowledge" since obviously, nobody could be into glowsticking unless they are on shrooms ore LSD. :( I was wondering how true the stereotype was, but it seems that a large group of people are like me - into the artistic dancing aspect, and that pleases me.

last night my husband asked me if getting into glowsticking meant I was going to start doing drugs. >_<

... "be careful" because "all glowstickers are on drugs", and that's "common knowledge" since obviously, nobody could be into glowsticking unless they are on shrooms ore LSD. :(

That is unfortunate. You should educate him and tell him you absolutely do not need to be on drugs to appreciate glowsticking. It's not all about "waving bright lights in your face"... seems like he doesn't know/appreciate the technical aspect in it. Here, show him this video:

I was wondering how true the stereotype was, but it seems that a large group of people are like me - into the artistic dancing aspect, and that pleases me.

I would say this entire community is like you - we are all into the artistic aspect and respect it as a dance and an artform.

Those meetups at Clutch's old house were good times. :V

That is some crazy amazing glowsticking! XD

common knowledge that all stringers roll eh i guess i missed that memo, i party sober 99% of the time and ive never rolled so... only times i dont party sober are when parties have cheap tequila... damnit my only weakness!

I like to roll every once in a while.

In fact, I'll even go so far to say I love a good roll with some good friends.

Surprisingly, glowstringing started and pretty much remains a sober activity for me. I've tried it while fucked up and it's just kind of frustrating. I use it just like I use the music I write - as a form of expression... and being anything other than sober prevents me from expressing what I need to express.

But I do love doing to raves and giving people who are rolling light shows. Melt faces. That sort of stuff.

When I was at a bassnectar concert in new york a few weeks ago, I had someone come up to me every 5 minutes asking if I had molly. Granted, I was wearing white UFO-style pants sitting on a comfy blanket at the back of the crowd with flowlights in my hands, glowbracelets on my arms, and glowsticks around my neck, but still, it got kind of cumbersome. I kept thinking people were going to come up and talk to me about poi or strike up an interesting conversation... but nope, all about the pills.

AS FOR THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

I don't personally ask everyone around me if they're rolling, but I understand why others do. When I roll, I tend to distrust everyone around me who isn't (unless I know them very well). The fact is, if you're on MDMA, all you care about is feeling good and making other people feel good. If you're not on MDMA, you can easily take advantage of people that are... and for that very reason, it's nice to have a heads up if you're on the same plane.

Edited by maestro

Well I think they ask because of any of the following reasons:

1. They are probably rolling themselves.

2. They are looking for something and wanna see if u can help out.

(and of course the shadier reasons)....

3. They want to take advantage of you while you are in a vulnerable state.

4. They are D.T.'s

.............but I find its typically newer people who ask that question because most people who have long term experience with rolling can tell immediately when someone is rolling. The signs and mannerisms are unmistakable.

I get asked this by basically every passing person. Problem with the scene where I live, is:

1. No one can control themselves

2. They don't appreciate events or music

3. They only go to raves in order to get super wasted

I'm not demonizing drug users, but in my area, it really is true. They only go to raves/parties in order to score different types of drugs, even unknown substances. However, I have gotten some interesting responses when I tell people I've been sober my entire life. My favorite one happens to be "Good for you man, I roll, but it's really not worth it."

My friend has this habit of totally freaking out and doing the butterfly (freehand) while screaming loudly until they leave. Weird, but it makes me laugh.