Sign in to follow this  
Ph0toN

Sponsorship - Getting Paid To Glowstick?

38 posts in this topic

There are some who believe that it should be okay to be a sponsored glowsticker, to be paid to glowstick. This in more ways than one goes directly against our ideals here on Glowsticking.com. The purpose of this article is to address this issue and the multiple reasons we are against it.

sponsoredglow.jpg

Glowsticking is an art that developed out of the rave culture, a culture which is based on loving and sharing freely with all who partake in it. In its basic sense, everyone in the rave culture is considered an equal regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, economical standing, political viewpoints, skill, talent, style or a myriad of other differences. In this sense of equality, this coming together of peoples from different sects of society with widely varying viewpoints, everyone's contributions are equally welcomed into the culture. There are some however that wish to stand out from the crowd and place themselves above the rest, destroying the fundamental equality that created the rave culture and continues to bind it together.

There are multiple ways individuals attempt to do this, from battling and trying to prove that they are better at an art form than others, to jumping up on a stage to grab the attention of the crowd. Even many DJ's have in recent years fallen into this way of thinking, becoming what many would call the highlight of an event, where in days past the DJ at an event was just another person who was enjoying the party and just happened to be the one providing the music. A more recent attempt made by some people is to become sponsored. In other words, to be paid to dance at a party.

When someone becomes sponsored, while their intentions may initially be good, they've started down a road that is slowly leading our beloved culture of friendship and equality toward a point where it will no longer be about love for one another, but about dollar signs. To add to this, as money becomes involved tensions begin to mount between rival entrepreneurs. As one person gains a top money making slot, another person is shoved a step down the ladder. As time goes by and tensions build between people fighting for the top slots, competition ensues.

Competition has no place in the rave scene, as it defies the very foundations the scene is built on. By competing people are no longer equals, but rivals seeking to be better than one another. In addition, by selling an art such as glowsticking one is no longer sharing something they love doing just for the sake of sharing it, but selling something for a profit. It becomes downgraded from an enjoyable pastime to that of a commercial job. Do we really want to see a culture of love, caring and equality dissolve into the dirty aspects of capitalism?

Here on glowsticking.com, while our primary focus is on glowsticking, we also look at the bigger picture. One of our driving goals is to protect the culture we've grown to love. This includes not only glowsticking, but all forms of light related dance that have evolved out of the rave scene, from conjuring, orbiting and gloving to lightshows in general regardless of the medium used to perform said lightshows.

To sum this up: The rave scene is about equality. Getting paid causes rivalry. Rivalry causes competition. Competition causes inequality. Inequality does not fit in the rave scene.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. We hope you will take our ideals into consideration and help us in the quest to preserve our beloved culture.

Edited by Ph0toN

EVERYONE needs to read this.

To sum this up: The rave scene is about equality. Getting paid causes rivalry. Rivalry causes competition. Competition causes inequality. Inequality does not fit in the rave scene.

Hit the nail with a fucking hammer.

Amazing article photon =D

Very very VERY well-said :) This has always been an issue that i would hesitate to discuss with friends cuz of an uncertainty in how to explain, but this article provides proper dialect to efficiently get the message across. Word to your mother yo :biggrin2:

need this posted in the articles system

Already done, did it before I posted it here :)

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! Right on the head, like Nitr0 said. :D

Edited by Demo

What can I say, Ph0t0n knows his stuff :D

And I agree, EVERYONE needs to read this!

It's ideals like this that make GSC such a valuable asset to the rave culture. Raves are sacred and the act of glowsticking is an expression of its sacredness.

I am so glad I discovered a group of people on the web that uphold such values. :dope

Very very well written. but in a way i disagree with the statement "Getting paid causes rivalry" like do you mean that from a competition stand point or a performing stand point, im just a little confused on the statement.

Very very well written. but in a way i disagree with the statement "Getting paid causes rivalry" like do you mean that from a competition stand point or a performing stand point, im just a little confused on the statement.

I think the fact that it causes any sort of rivalry or conflict is bad, so either or. :D

Edited by Demo

Really well written and well thought out. Kudos!

Yeah, I've said many a time that I hate money, and I couldn't have put the reasons for it any better than this. It is said one should never mix business with pleasure....

This should definitely be stickied.

I still feel like this subject could use a little more discussion though. Theres still a fine line determining exactly what it means to be "paid" to glowstick.

I personally have been let into parties for free and been bought drinks a few times before to give a few stage performances inside which was all in good fun. I know people on the east coast have done similar things at clubs as well or so I've heard.

Does that count as being "paid" to glowstick or does it fall under some other category?

Why all of a sudden are all these companies sponsporing kids with lights?

anyone know? or am i just slow

And woahhhhh

someone just shot some HUGEEEE ass fireworks off in front of my house WTF?!@

HOLY FUCKKKKKKK

my stepdad came downstairs with his pistol and was askin what was that noise?

holy shitttttt

juss so we all are on the same page, dont try to break in my house cuz you might get capped

haha.

Why all of a sudden are all these companies sponsporing kids with lights?

anyone know? or am i just slow

It's nothing new, it's been going on ever since the summer of '08 and has been slowly growing ever since then.

Edited by Cody

HOLY FUCKKKKKKK

my stepdad came downstairs with his pistol and was askin what was that noise?

holy shitttttt

juss so we all are on the same page, dont try to break in my house cuz you might get capped

haha.

fucking lol

I still feel like this subject could use a little more discussion though. Theres still a fine line determining exactly what it means to be "paid" to glowstick.

I personally have been let into parties for free and been bought drinks a few times before to give a few stage performances inside which was all in good fun. I know people on the east coast have done similar things at clubs as well or so I've heard.

Does that count as being "paid" to glowstick or does it fall under some other category?

I agree with Cody. Its good and fine having the idea that anything involving money ruins an artform, but wait. Don't people pay money to go see opera shows, and dance routines, and baseball games, and well, every other thing on earth? Why does everyone have this ubiquitous concept of money + glowsticks = bad idea implanted in their head. I'd personally like to see responce posts that have more too them then , 5 people saying "You hit the nail right on the head" and "my dad nearly shot me", "lol". I guess I agree with Cody that this needs to be more of a discussion, than one person laying down the rules and everyone else nodding their head.

My thoughts: Agreed that rave culture is about equality regardless of personal identifiers. Its about love and sharing and respect. PLUR. And people do like to stand out. Standing out often makes people feel unequal, the same way that people wish they were as successful as that dj who's performing on stage at the concert. But I don't let that get me down. I realize he is successful, but I can see that by the way he is having a good time helping us have a good time, I can tell that its all in good taste. And to address the other comment, Yes. Many attractive girls have been getting paid to go to raves and dance on stage wearing their ibiza tops and hardly anything below them. Times are obviously changing. As marketing ones own events (even in the underground scenes) is becoming prevelant.

Does getting paid to glowstring automatically mean you are selling your soul to the gods of capitalism and dissolving the virtues that glowstringing stands for? I don't think so, but this is what I'm hoping other non-flame responses will address.

I definatley agree that competition = inequality = rivalry = bad. But if everyone has the initial mindset of peace and love, does one need to believe that they are in competition with another person. Getting paid to do something you love, and promote it in your community is probably one of the most liberating experiences a person could have in their life. Is it our place to take that away from them and simultaniously say you are not welcome on this site.

I just seek more opinions and I thank Cody for initially bringing up the idea that forums are for neither flame-wars, nor 1-sided, agreements, but for discussion, and opinions. I hope to hear yours.

PLUR %29.gif

I agree with Cody. Its good and fine having the idea that anything involving money ruins an artform, but wait. Don't people pay money to go see opera shows, and dance routines, and baseball games, and well, every other thing on earth? Why does everyone have this ubiquitous concept of money + glowsticks = bad idea implanted in their head. I'd personally like to see responce posts that have more too them then , 5 people saying "You hit the nail right on the head" and "my dad nearly shot me", "lol". I guess I agree with Cody that this needs to be more of a discussion, than one person laying down the rules and everyone else nodding their head.

My thoughts: Agreed that rave culture is about equality regardless of personal identifiers. Its about love and sharing and respect. PLUR. And people do like to stand out. Standing out often makes people feel unequal, the same way that people wish they were as successful as that dj who's performing on stage at the concert. But I don't let that get me down. I realize he is successful, but I can see that by the way he is having a good time helping us have a good time, I can tell that its all in good taste. And to address the other comment, Yes. Many attractive girls have been getting paid to go to raves and dance on stage wearing their ibiza tops and hardly anything below them. Times are obviously changing. As marketing ones own events (even in the underground scenes) is becoming prevelant.

Does getting paid to glowstring automatically mean you are selling your soul to the gods of capitalism and dissolving the virtues that glowstringing stands for? I don't think so, but this is what I'm hoping other non-flame responses will address.

I definatley agree that competition = inequality = rivalry = bad. But if everyone has the initial mindset of peace and love, does one need to believe that they are in competition with another person. Getting paid to do something you love, and promote it in your community is probably one of the most liberating experiences a person could have in their life. Is it our place to take that away from them and simultaniously say you are not welcome on this site.

I just seek more opinions and I thank Cody for initially bringing up the idea that forums are for neither flame-wars, nor 1-sided, agreements, but for discussion, and opinions. I hope to hear yours.

PLUR %29.gif

To address what Cody brought up, there's a difference. If you're at an event and you're given glowsticks or a few drinks to hop up on a stage and perform there's nothing wrong with that. You're in the right type of environment for glowsticking and you're just helping to add to the fun of the event. Personally I wouldn't get on a stage even at an event because once you're in an elevated position like that you're no longer just one of the crowd enjoying the event, but above them, spotlighted. However, at a rave / festival it's acceptable because it's the correct environment so it's not like going on stage in a talent show or some other place that has nothing to do with the scene or glowsticking.

What this article is primarily aimed at are things such as websites that are actively paying people, either in product or money, to promote their specific product (which has other websites that are in competition with them over the sale of the same type of product) from their specific site. They're not telling people "go out there and help spread the art", they're basically telling people "go out there and get sales for my websites product." These same websites also tend to have competitions to see who is going to get sponsored and who isn't. What that boils down to saying that one variation / style of an art form is better than another, when they're both completely unique and it's entirely up to the spectator's tastes which is better to him or her.

As for my opinion on the "people make money off of all kinds of other arts" thing, those arts came from radically different environments. Glowsticking and the light related dances came from the rave scene, which is all about caring / sharing / giving / love etc. In a sense, paying someone for glowsticking is like paying them for a hug. It's something that should have been given freely in the first place.

Also, those other arts have mass followings of people who are willing to pay to see them. Glowsticking doesn't have that kind of following. Those other arts have had multiple decades, centuries, or millennia to evolve and gain the followings they have, whereas glowsticking is still a relatively new art form that's not widely accepted or known, and the majority of the following that it has doesn't want to be paid to do it, nor do they believe it's right to get paid to do it. If these things ever change in the future then GSC stances will probably change.

Edited by Ph0toN
  • Upvote 1