Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnDien

Inspiration

17 posts in this topic

Stringing isn't fun anymore. I'm feeling tired of it in general, and I've only been stringing for a year. It seems like there isn't much I can learn - I mean, I don't want to learn SJs or 20 bt weaves, every time I try to build up different wrap combos or work on string manips, I seem to have stringer's block and don't have energy to work on it, and probably the only new concept I'd like to learn would be flowers, but I don't have any space to practice them. So yeah, I'm stuck. I used to be able to get inspiration by watching vids like Wil's 05 vid or the good ol' Chicago Compilation, which were the first two I ever saw, but now it's like "same old, same old." I guess my morale has dropped and I can't figure a way out, so I want to ask "What are some ways you guys have worked through your stringer's block before?"

take a break. a few days off watch some vids. thats what i did and now i have mad many of my own unique combos. just my 2 cents. :P

Just do it when you feel like it. It should be fun and not a chore to get better. There comes a point when moves don't matter anymore, and it's just the way you use them. Just mess around and ideas will float to you.

Remember it takes time to improve, sometimes a lot.

yea one time i got annoyed with it and just stopped for a week, sometimes u really need a break.

first off this is kinda crazy cuz I have to keep logging in when I enter a new forum. but whatever. anyway.

Usually what helps me with stringers block (which I'm somewhat currently in) is in fact taking a break like suggested. keep it in your mind but don't kill yourself. like from time to time I may see random things in the street or whatever and it may make me think of something cool to do, or stuff will just randomly pop in my head. It also is a big help to have people around you, not even just stringers, but freehanders or even just dancers to help you out in inspiration. It may help to get a different perspective from someone who may not even be in the same category of g-sticking as yourself.

same i got pissed a few times and took a week break came back and wanted to string again....although we do need more new clips

yea i've gotten stringers block before. craaazy stringers block. so i took a few months off. no watching vids, no touching any strings, not even listening to the same music.

then i came back to it when i felt like it. renewed, and refreshed, and not bored or blockish.

Stringing is about having fun. Nuff said. If you have block, or no motivation to string, don't. It's not a chore, or a required activity to belong to this site. The less tedious you make it, the more fun it'll be. It's like riding a bicycle. You never forget.

Just take a little break, don't really worry about it. When you're bored and or want to try it agian, put on one of your favorite songs and just start stringing. But when you're stringing try not to think about stringing, or teh fact that you 'think' you have stringers block, and don't think about the fact that you're trying to do something new.

Just go with it ^-^ let your body flow ot the music.

cool, thanks everyone. I think I will take a little break. I've got all summer to string right? :) Better get a fresh start than to be bored with it.

You really have more than just the summer. If you like the music, I would say go to a rave, trance party, or somewhere where there'll be other stringers. You don't have to plan on stringing, just watch the others. If you take a break for some time first, and then go, you'll probably get inspired.

Also, if you can see some live fire spinners, that'll probably help, too, since it's a different style and all.

I must say the same thing happened to me as did KarmaRaver. I just ended up not having motivation and inspiration to string anymore, so I put all my deads in the closet and never touched them til about 6 months later. Just recently I've gotten back into it because I miss expressing myself in the way that I did, and having a more creative side to life with my strings. I think if you take a break, you will realize how much it means to you. If you've been stringing for a year, I'm guessing that you've developed a bond with them like I did. You'll come back to them, don't worry ^_^.

just a suggestion, but, why don't you try teaching someone new to string. i started teaching this one kid, and then durring which, i created my first combo after being in a hard stringing block. it may or may not work for you, but it wouldnt hurt to try right?

Honestly, it's amazing what a break can do. I haven't really been practicing for like 2 or 3 weeks. I just put in some actual practice yesterday and came up with damn near a whole new routine. The most of what i've been doing is watching my friends practice, chilling around the forums, checking out what different people have to say, taking them into consideration; All the while just formulating random thoughts from time to time of stuff to do, somewhat like practicing in my head. Maybe even watching a few videos here and there, but that's not even a main source. Just listening to different ideas/concepts helped a lot. It all depends on how you make use of your break/time. Look for inspiration wherever you can find it, sometimes it might be in the strangest places or at the strangest times. Just don't give up. practice in your head, even if you think of the most outlandish shit, keep it going in your head and see what you can come up with in reality, it might not be too far off.

maybe you can try focusing on smaller pieces. sometimes the thought of creating one whole brand-new, unique combo is exhausting. try to focus on one little single thought that you think have the potential to become unique.

then follow up that thought with a little more to add on to it. maybe post up your ideas so far in the learning annex to get some feedback.

keep working on it, eventually you'll have one solid combo. then take a break. and repeat again. sooner or later you will have enough combos to develop your own personal style.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

video making is also a good way to keep yourself focus. try to begin the process of filming for a video.

once you start filming, you will be able to see yourself on video clips. figure out what you need to work on, whether it be repetitiveness, good ways to transition between different combos and moves, how similar you look to others, etc.

once you can grasp what needs to be worked on you will have a goal to go towards (inspiration).

For me, watching other glowstickers' videos is an inspiration, too. It not only reminds me that I am not the only one out there stringing (and it makes me feel at home) but also sparks my motivation, reminding me: "When is the last time I had the dedication to try something that amazing? I better get back to it..."