Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xboardr

Ready To Freehand At Last

12 posts in this topic

My flowlights finally came in the mail yesterday! I was so excited, and immediately wanted to practice. Unfortunately, I woke up really sick yesterday morning with a horrible hangover to boot so I was only able to try out a few things because my entire body ached and I had zero energy.

I wished I could have had the energy to run through some of the tutorials I've watched and try each thing out one by one, but I only did a few things from memory. I tried the stomach trace, obviously, and it was really weird at first, but I think I've got the jist of it down (still needs to be more fluid, not bad for a first day in my opinion). I tried the heli-toss and hand stalls. I'm not sure if I was doing the heli-toss the most effective way, but I got it to spin completely horizontally pretty easily. I'm horrible with hand stalls on my left hand, but I was starting to get it on my right. Oh and tracing my neck is so hard because mine is really long :X

I definitely want to incorporate tracing and threading and obviously tosses and stalls since I already have a background in juggling. Not exactly sure what to work on first, but I'm definitely gonna try everything. Oh, isos didn't seem to work well for me; not sure if I was doing it wrong or if it was just the whole first day thing.

Lastly, I took some time to go through all the flowlight modes. Unfortunately, as a freehander you can't see the patterns as they are intended (as if you were stringing), but a nice observation showed me that certain modes make the LEDs blink and stuff which could potentially look really cool (an effect you could only get from a flowlight). Also my lights have two, well three, colors (green and yellow on one end and a deep orange on the other) which, I think, could set up the possibility for really cool/intentional color switches (i.e., covering the orange side while holding it and then through a swap or toss or something switching both sticks to the orange side that was previously covered).

Again, sorry for the monstrous posts. I tend to talk a lot in person and online :X

have you even tried to freehand with sticks??

No I haven't. When I joined GS.c I thought I was going to be a stringer. I had looked around trying to find what the best glowsticks were to buy and found that there are LED sticks. I immediately wanted them since I live in a dorm that is cluttered enough so having a bunch of glowsticks lying around wouldn't help. Also, we throw parties in my dorm room so there's a good possibility that some drunk idiot could find the sticks and crack a bunch. I did not want to deal with that so I decided to get flowlights. I then saw some really good freehand vids and became much more interested in that (although I do still want to learn to string).

The flowlights are fine, but as I believe you are trying to insinuate, they are not that good for freehanding. I may, in that case, buy inovas or something (if I remember correctly they are not that expensive). I do still want to try to use my flowlights because they aren't the cheapest things out there and they look really cool.

aaahhhhhh. that makes sense. well i hope they work for ya. i've tried other light things (not flowlights) and they just didnt work for me. i might get a pair but i dont feel like spending that much money currently.

I just got my flowlights the other day and I was going to use them for freehand, but since they look so amazing stringing i learned some string moves, but im still going to stick to mostly freehand.

you said the isolations weren't working out for you. imo isos take the longest time for your muscle memory to work. i think it's impossible to do any iso moves the first day you learn isos. they take a while so just keep practing and you'll eventually get it

Curious about flowlights?

How well they work for freehanding? How sturdy they are?

BLACHA!!!

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/Flowtoy...167#entry356167

Yep. That's what actually convinced me to get flowlights over other LEDs and also made me believe that they aren't bad for freehanding. Really only time will tell and I can't wait to continue practicing my freehanding.

I usually use Solid Mode then switch to Beads Mode (the mode after solid), followed by transitions to the second set of modes which are the blinking ones, based on rhythm of music and song choice. Flowlights are VERY awesome for freehanding!

Currently own two Spirit Flow lights.. Haven't tried them yet really for freehanding..

I just love the sound of fresh cracking... Holding one in both hands and just squeezing :)

I am hoping I can take a video of my new lights tomorrow or Friday... Just gotta get those batteries.