Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuckMyPoinis

Thoughts on Windows 7?

26 posts in this topic

So I recently switched to Windows 7, and to my disappointment, Microsoft has failed yet again. Many of my programs often freeze and get the "Not Responding" status, so I have to shut them off manually. Not only that, but I can't open the program again unless I restart my computer. This happens ALL THE TIME. My windows media player doesn't work as well. Seriously, F windows 7, don't buy it until Microsoft can figure out they suck.

I am a total microsoft hater, microsoft is absolutely horrible....Get a Mac there pricy, but in the long run there totally worth it, all the people that work at Microsoft use Macs hahaha. Nothing good ever came out of Microsoft EVER. Worst company ever yet people still fall into their trap of buying their products which work fine for a few days or so, then its like oh damn I already have 36 viruses and I didn't even do anything, well thats cause you bought a stupid ass Microsoft computer, they build them to fuck up, so you'll pay them more money to get it fixed or just buy a whole new product. So verdict of my rant is - get a mac and it will treat you right with no problems, you can literally do whatever you want with a Mac and not have to worry about it freezing or crashing. But this is all IMO, but Microsoft still sucks ass I don't care what anyone says.

thats weird, I went from xp to mac had those problems a few days, but they all had a "fix this problem button after you waited for it to unfreeze. if you have more problems, google them and you usually find clear instructions.

I am a total microsoft hater, microsoft is absolutely horrible....Get a Mac there pricy, but in the long run there totally worth it, all the people that work at Microsoft use Macs hahaha.

pretty clear your a 'microsoft hater' but simply spewing bs about them doesn't make you a very reliable source.

Nothing good ever came out of Microsoft EVER.

xbox 360 was waaay better than anything else when it came out, zune was waaay better than anything else when it came out.

Worst company ever yet people still fall into their trap of buying their products which work fine for a few days or so, then its like oh damn I already have 36 viruses and I didn't even do anything, well thats cause you bought a stupid ass Microsoft computer, they build them to fuck up, so you'll pay them more money to get it fixed or just buy a whole new product.

I've had my pc for 5 years, minimal problems, and nothing that microsoft didn't fix for me for free. also xbox 360 was waaay better than anything else when it came out, zune was waaay better than anything else when it came out.

So verdict of my rant is - get a mac and it will treat you right with no problems, you can literally do whatever you want with a Mac and not have to worry about it freezing or crashing. But this is all IMO, but Microsoft still sucks ass I don't care what anyone says.

don't just rip on a company just because you don't like it, I don't like mac but I understand that others do and that they are a legitimate company. you can't simply say mac's are the best no matter what and they will be perfect forever because I said so. people have problems with mac all the time, why do you think best buy sells mac antivirus software, drive cleaners, spyware removers ect.. because those problems don't exist? or maybe because they actually do?

I'm just saying a Mac is "usually" more reliable than ANY PC out there. I'll leave it at that.

I'm just saying a Mac is "usually" more reliable than ANY PC out there. I'll leave it at that.

a lot better than what you said before. :P

i have windows 7 and its not bad its much better than vista by leaps and bounds. they defiantly borrowed some ideas from macs about the toolbar and pinning programs to it. but i haven't really had any problems

So I recently switched to Windows 7, and to my disappointment, Microsoft has failed yet again. Many of my programs often freeze and get the "Not Responding" status, so I have to shut them off manually. Not only that, but I can't open the program again unless I restart my computer. This happens ALL THE TIME. My windows media player doesn't work as well. Seriously, F windows 7, don't buy it until Microsoft can figure out they suck.

I would try a reformat, i haven't had any of those problems

not to sound like a jerk, buy your obviously very biased, and it sound like all the other people who trys to push their ideology on pc vs mac. But, really their all about the same. Mac has its downfalls just like windows

Oka call me biased I put up with a PC for years and now that I just got my MacBook its amazing, no problems so much "easier" to use and just quicker all around, its a whole different operation system which "seems" to work and go along a lot smoother than PC's. Yet again all my opinions from my OWN experiences with both operating systems. But sure I'm biased but I'm biased for the better product! Apple owns in everyway shape or form IMO!!!

dude, trebek please just stop..

But sure I'm biased but I'm biased for the better product! Apple owns in everyway shape or form IMO!!!
your honestly being a jackass.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I haven't had that many issues. I know that most of my hardware on my laptop is kinda old, so I attribute most failings to the lack of RAM or CPU power.

That being said, Microsoft 7 is a huge step in the right direction, even considering XP and Vista. Granted, some aspects are more "Mac" based advances, but it's a collaboration to make personal computing better. Thus, I like it.

I would try a reformat, i haven't had any of those problems

How would one reformat a laptop with windows 7? I have never reformatted a computer in my life.

Get a backup harddrive/ External and move all the files you want to keep there. Find your Win 7 Start up disk and have it on hand. Once you've transfered all the files you want to keep, there are several ways. I have done a reformat from a BIOS, but never inside the operating system. It pretty much wipes the harddrive and you have to re-install everything.

Honestly, if you aren't experienced with formating etc. I'd let someone who is do it. A few very important points to think about: backup everything you need. Before you start formating: find out which drivers etc you have installed and make sure you get them before you even start formating. If possible, try to have another pc/laptop handy, so that you can check stuff on the inet if you run into problems.

Like I said earlier though, don't try it yourself if possible (I did and it didn't work out great;)

Cheers

A reformat I think is a bit extreme, but if you can't seem to find anything that works, I would look at www.techguy.org and search in the windows 7 section and see if others share your problem. their great at helping you with computer problems and their free.

but if you do have a portable hard-drive lying around reformatting wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

but if you do have a portable hard-drive lying around reformatting wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

I actually do have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I think I will call one of my Dad's friends who is experienced with this stuff and helped me set up my laptop when I first bought it.

I actually do have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I think I will call one of my Dad's friends who is experienced with this stuff and helped me set up my laptop when I first bought it.

that sound good, but I would ask him to take a look at things first, reformatting is a long process and if you can fix it without, it's usually the better option.

You are in the minority, most of the tech world considers Windows 7 a great achievement and one of the better operating systems out there. Most experts agree the UI is better.

I built my own rigs starting from 1994 until I got my macbook pro last year and I'm slightly envious of windows 7 but given my life these days I don't have time to get a PC and tune it all the time. Mac OS X is simpler because the OS was built for the hardware. not many drivers to worry about, no viruses, etc. But you do pay for it. One good thing about OS X is that you CAN run parallels or vmware to run any windows program, and there isn't many out there that isn't OSX native. in general the small utility programs are all higher quality on a mac because a programmer wrote it to be of use, not to sell things.

So buy a Mac if you don't have time to fiddle all the time with buying your own rig, and you don't a lot of time to install anti-virus or do a lot of backups, and if you can afford it.

Buy a PC if you want the best cost/performance (you do have to spend time to research) and you don't mind spending a lot of time with it to get what you want.

xbox 360 was waaay better than anything else when it came out, zune was waaay better than anything else when it came out.

dont forget windows xp! theres a reason its still the industry standard for computers in businesses and schools worldwide.

heres my take on it:

Mac_Vs_Pc334.jpg

I'd have to agree with what tain said last. if you can fix without reformatting go for it. however if you are continuing to have problems, try reformatting.

and also!: data you don't have at least one copy of is data you don't care about! remember to back up your stuff!

You should be able to run repair functions off the boot disk. If that fails, to fix your drive it will be that your hard drive is at the end of its life. More than likely. You can also do a system restore if the problems have begun to happen recently and shoot back as far as possible.

OK, I'm just gonna post this since I'm so "biased."

I've used a PC for the last like 10 years of my life and they were always miserable...They were never used or refurbished PC's that were used for anything out of the ordinary of a regular computer function. They would be great till you have it for a few then you put a new program on it or maybe download a song or even just play an online game or something, then it just starts going haywire, every time you try to open more than one program you gotta wait 4 minutes then it shows up "program not responding" and you gotta close it out and re-boot and start all over, and over, and over.

So I would like to ask for those of you that are calling me so "biased" the reason behind it is cause I've dealt with PC's and there "lack" of doing what I need a computer to do. Have ANY of you actually used a Mac to its full extent and actually seen what you can do with it, even a MacBook Pro which is what I have is tiny and seems that a desktop PC would operate better cause its bigger and has more RAM and all that good stuff, but its just a waste of space that they could have actually made it perform better. So I would just like to know who has ACTUALLY used a Mac and experienced how well they work at doing anything, I can open up like 10 programs and just browse through all them with no problems and still have downloads happening on the internet, there an amazing multitasking machine. And they just don't slow down, their operating system is far superior to PC, and well viruses a very rare occurrence which can only mean one thing....

So I guess my conclusion on this is that, don't knock on the Mac or my "biased" reasons behind why I don't like PC's before you've actually had the experience of using both!

Thanks, and that's all! :-)

I have no issues with windows 7 at all and it runs everything a lot faster than XP did. It's Microsoft's best OS so far in my opinion.

Trebek, I haven't used a mac, so I can't tell you anything about that. I can tell you this, I've been using windows for the last 10 or so years and I've never had a problem with a virus. It's amazing what a good virusscanner can do. The only reason I've had to format my pc once, was because one of my RAM memories was fried (cooked actually).

As for running multiple programs at once, I can do that as well with windows 7 on my laptop.

On to the topic of your being biased, the way you talk about this OS ("You say I'm biased, but I'm biased towards the better program") sounds really similar to: "my god is better than your's, repent or burn at the stake". Point being is that it's stupid how people allways clame that they are right/better/know the truth. Both Mac and Microsoft probably have their advantages and disadvantages in certain fields. Just live with it and let others use windows if they want. I've nog problem with people saying: "I like this OS over that OS because of this, that and the other thing", but please, don't go: "You use windows? you dumb dawg, windows sucks, mac is way better, repent or burn in hell" (ok, that might have been a bit over the top).

Cheers

i have used both

macs to me are very simple. there are very good for some functions, such as music and movie editting (i'm a big fan of imovie). however, they are simple to the point where it becomes obnoxious. to view hidden files you have to go into terminal and enter in an extensive command line, because god knows what mac users would do if they could view hidden system files.

you also have to take a look at pricing. apple uses a large amount of substandard hardware in their computers, and charges an exorbant amount for even simple jobs like adding ram (for the cheapest macbook pro, it costs $700 for 8 gb, yet you can buy 8 gb for less than $300 for a non-mac computer). continuing on with the macbook pro, a 7200 rpm 1 tb drive can be purchased for less than what a 320 gb 5400 rpm mac hdd costs. and i'm not even going to go into the jacked up prices on processors.

and you extol the virtues of macs anti-viral capabilities? open your eyes and learn to think logically. apple has ~9% of the total market share. dell, hp, and acer have a combined %66 of the market. toshiba has about 8%. everything else has about 17%. so when you look at it, windows is the majority with about 90% of the market (granted there are linux users). it makes no sense whatsoever to write a virus to affect macs when 90% of the computer using population uses windows. hurr durr.

you can open up ten programs and download at the same time? me too!:

apple1.jpg?t=1266086863

you know whats another joke? , macbook air, ipad, mac mini, ipod shuffles(for those with actual music collections), and the apple mouse. and thats just current products.

and i'll take my taskbar any day.

I think that it all depends on the person. I personally don't like macs, but that's just me. I just recently bought a toshiba satellite with Windows 7. I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. I think that it all depends on the computer that you get, and what anti-virus system that you have. Protect your computer and you won't have any problems. I honestly think that macs are waaaaaayyyy overpriced. But, to each their own. It depends on your preference.