Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynoboy

GS.C Wake Up Call...

98 posts in this topic

so wait is glowsticking culture the children to be molested??? and how do they get all the children to CCM on Friday and Saturday wouldn't their parents(GSC Staff) get worried?

And this is the point where you are getting way to technical on my bad example

>.>

In my example, the act of molesting children is related to doing something that you believe is wrong and dirty, like battling or glowsticking for money or having a crew. Which I actually said in my post if you read it.

I dont know why I would even need to go this deep into a stupid example but here I go...

The children are being molested, which would make the children equal to the battle itself, or people in your crew, you get that. And no, gsc staff is not related to the "children" nor do they have parental control over these "children". Staff is here to moderate, help communities and help dave with the site. >.>>>>>>>>>>

My final statement for this thread

I realize now that everything I have been trying to get across has been unsucessful due to the fact that I basically did have two faces during this debate, not intentionally, but that is what the outcome was. 

My only goal was to try and make everyone accepted and loved by such a great community, MY BELIEF is that everyone should get along and accept there are different beliefs umong us.

After rereading everything, I realize that instead of simply putting it that way, I made it appear that all should listen and follow my belief because it's better, I am genuinely SORRY for my statement to appear this way and I do not think I am better/believe in better things.

Also I realize this is a community, that solidly shows where it's ideals and beliefs stand, and I, like a stark raving mad fool, tried to bluntly change it.

I am also sorry for that, all I want is for people to look at life through a fellow members eyes before a fight is brewed, but if not, then I respect your declining to listen to my thoughts, and I don't look down on you, no matter what.

Rereading all of this has showed me that although I had the best of intentions, my entire argument was invalid due to the fact that I claim everyones personal beliefs should be accepted, yet I wouldn't even accept that people declined this idea, so I was a true hypocrite, maybe worse then anyone in this debate.

So in all truth, I am not trying to threaten anyone, I am no longer pushing my ideas upon you, for the extent of my stay in this community I will abide by your rules and respect you for having them.

My last statement is please do not delete this thread, no matter how much of an ass it makes of me, it goes to show that things come to a solution eventually.

And if anyone ever has the same argument as me and starts to spout off like I did, then refer them to this and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Thank you all for not hunting me down and stabbing me in my sleep for being an oxymoronic noob.

This is all I have to say and I hope that at least a shred of respect is gained for myself here, if not, then I honestly don't blame you for not giving any.

Peace to you all,

Dynoboy

P.s. I tried to seperate the lines as often as I remembered so peoples eyes don't get hurt anymore =P

^

Thank you for the wall-less wall of text.

Thank you for understanding

I hope you continue to grow and learn.

That was the most horrid example ever.....reminds me of when teacher's would use the whole "If blah blah jumped off a bridge, would you jump too" :P

Also, just so you guys know, I understand where you guys are coming from, and that is fine with me, not my site, obviously not my rules and I have respected those rules for the 3 years I have been lurking around and with Jin's most wonderful examples (:P) I am starting to understand a little better what is going on, and I am just going to take this discussion as a tool to understand the glowsticking culture better.

Dynoboy, Im glad to hear that.

If you want me to try and think your way, then I want you to try and think my way as well.

Seems like you have. I appreciate it man.

and to Earring, yes they were horrible examples, but sometimes you need to go to the extreme of a situation to explain something very simple. I'm glad my dorky little examples helped at least 1 person to understand little better :)

Damn, OP you butthurt much? There is way too much text in this thread for me to even consider making a meaningful contribution.

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this sillyness before they even get dirty.

...for good measure:

1263166852335.jpg

Damn, OP you butthurt much? There is way too much text in this thread for me to even consider making a meaningful contribution.

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this sillyness before they even get dirty.

...for good measure:

1263166852335.jpg

lol.

First off I am in no way writing this to bag on anyone, I am not trying to seek revenge for former friends being banned/leaving...my intentions for this is to figure out why there is so much drama created by the people who claim to disregard/dislike drama as a whole.

Good to know. I respect your opinions, so long as you respect mine. :)

So here it goes,

I have been a member of this community for a whole 20 hours or so...and already I want to personally bitch slap about 15 people, this site was formed for people to be able to come together as a community and share ideas and beliefs and grow, no one will argue that unless you are undoubtedly retarded. The problem I see is that instead of it being an open invitation to all and anyone can share their feelings/beliefs, you have to walk on eggshells as to not offend others, but anything you do will somehow effect someone out there, the thing that needs to happen is we look past it, you don't focus on things that you can use to tear eachother apart, it's sad to see such an amazing concept or idea such as GS.C pulled so far from what it u

Is truly meant to be, if this community was all about keeping the culture preserved and keeping it from being taken into the mainstream, then why the fuck is it so advertised? Why are there countless videos after video on YouTube promoting this? Is that not the same as competitions? People go on YouTube and see a video, it's flashy, it's cool, it makes them want to be a cool kid too and start stringing/freehanding.

Well, you raise great points: why is it so advertised? I never really asked myself that until you brought it up. It's advertised so that we can gain traffic to this site. It is also, by proxy, becoming mainstream due to that. If it were word of mouth, that would work too.

Also, regarding your eggshells thing, yeah, it can seem like that sometimes, but truth be told, it actually takes quite a bit to actually upset someone. Like I said, opinions are respected, so long as they are maturely discussed, much like you and I are doing now.

My main point is, is that competition is everywhere, it is a completly HEALTHY aspect of life and without it we would never grow or evolve. So am I saying everyone should start having stringing battles?!? NO! I'm saying to certain people that's what makes them happy, succeeding in an event where their practices are rewarded, it makes them feel good that they not only accomplished something, but others tell them that they did. Not everyone can start sticking and feel good about themselves, some people need attention given to them to make them feel successful, and who the fuck is in any type of position to say they are wrong? This site needs to accept everyone with open arms no matter what they feel about the person, PLUR isn't just about being peaceful, or loving, or unity, or respect for someone who deserves it, it's about giving PLUR to anyone and everyone even when you don't have the same beliefs as them...

There are other reasons why we disdain battling. Most of the older members and the people that have been a part of the scene long long ago have seen what battling does. The long thing that Sparrow posted is a good example. He disrespected the culture, and because of it, his life is forever changed. We believe in competition. We do. Just not using glowsticks and shit like that, especially in this scene, where drugs can be involved. That isn't something that I'd ever tamper in, and so, I stand by GSC's "no crews or battling" thing. And I always will.

I was pretty happy to join until I started reading forums and seeing how much hypocricy there is in every word spoken by the "true stickers". I know damn well that cynicdave can delete this, he can ban me, he can tell everyone to shun me, but when it all comes down to it, he would be the true cause of non-PLUR if he did that.

Actually, Dave wouldn't tell anyone to shun anyone. He would simply ban you if you got way too out of control. And it takes alot to ban people. I was reading up on it, and like..... most of the people banned were trolls, or people coming onto the site and completely disregarding a few simple rules. Over 85% of those banned were bots too. Also, I think Dave also shares a similar disgust for the term "PLUR" because of how many people use it as an excuse to be an asshole. I think that though, I could be wrong, please don't quote me on that. xD

I am simply expressing my opinions on here like everyone has the right to if you read the terms and conditions, Dave also reserves the right to ban me if he so pleases, I know this i get it, but I'm saying that even though this is a private site, owned by a private individual, he has made it public, saying it is for anyone who is interested/loves the culture, but I feel that if I say something he doesn't agree with, or if I do something like attend an event where some people had a poi battle, then I'm gonna get flamed and banned and told to go do something with my life, that I'm just a pathetic little fucking leech who doesn't respect those who work their asses off.

Right, and your opinions are both welcomed and respected. Dave does reserve the right to ban you, but won't unless you do something that is ban worthy. This post is not ban worthy. You are merely expressing and discussing something that you are passionate about. You didn't come in and start calling us all faggots are posers or biters or whatever, you are speaking with intent, and most of us respect that.

Well I am most certainly not a pathetic little leech, if that's what you think then YOUR the problem here, you see, no two people are alike, everyone had their differences and I bet Dave and cleric could somehow end up hating eachother due to some different beliefs somewhere in each of their lives, but the point is to not exploit those differences, the point is to embrace the differences, because if we were all alike then we would have no stringing, no freehanding, hell the glowstick wouldn't even be invented because no one ever would think outside the box.

Well, actually, that's a bit over exaggerated. You are correct, that everyone is different, but I doubt highly that Dave and Cleric would end up hating each other with the drop of a hat. Dave trusted Cleric enough to make him a site admin. Being a site admin here is a pretty big deal, per se, it requires a lot of trust from the site owner. If Dave thought for a moment that he could hate Cleric, just like that, I don't think Dave would have done what he did.

That is the other thing GSC believes in, bringing together alot of different people together that have a similar hobby or passion to create one giant family. A good example is myself. I'm a nerdy white-boy furry that probably wouldn't fit in with alot of the people here, were it not for my passion of glowstringing. It's for that simple reason that people are getting to know me and I'm getting to know people so that we can grow.

It's sad to see such tension, it's sad to see very valuable friendships destroyed in just a few words written on here, all because 2 people didn't see eye to eye.

I'm not about to call you a liar, but I've yet to see any friendships destroyed here. Do you have something that you can use to back up your statement?

Another thing is the anti-crew policy, what defines a crew? Because im sure that I have a large group of friends who we all attend raves/parties together, if someone on the outside were to see us all hanging out wearing similar shirts, hats, etc. They would think we are a crew, even though we did nothing to appear as such, our intentions were nowhere near that, people still drew this concept in their minds. The whole point is "who cares if there are crews or not?!?" you guys saying that when crews are formed then they make you choose this side or that side, but isn't that the same exact thing you guys "as a community" did when jellybeanx left, or jun0, or nitro?

I haven't really been around long enough to know those guys or what happened with them, but no, we aren't saying that a big group of friends in similar clothing and whatnot classifies as a crew. What classifies as a crew is when you guys give yourself a silly name and get jerseys and shit like that. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site with a large group of friends that they rave with and dress similarly with. It could be misconstrued as a crew, yes, but it's the means behind the cause that counts.

The thing is, is if I were to stick up for one of them in those old threads, I would be told to show where my loyalties lie, which is making me choose sides.�

Noone is making you choose sides. If your friends can't stand the fact that you can see where they had an error, than those really aren't friends, are they? Sounds incredibly manipulative. Ask my friends how many times I have supported them, but explained to them why the other side was right. I will never abandon my friends. Ever. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there.

Are you starting to see the underlying hypocricy yet? Wait...there is more

I can see where you are coming from, but I think you have it a bit screwed up. Though I'm glad you are looking into this. :) I do apologize if I'm coming across as "assholish."

you claim that performing for money is such a sellout move, or even Elvin spinning at an event that was in conflict with your beliefs is selling out.�

Wait, hold on, what the fuck is up with all the ads on this site? You generate $170 roughly a month from shit on this site, and that's not even including the donations or paid memberships, now I'm not saying you are gaining profits off this site, but you are indeed "whoring" yourself out to get some financial help, which in turn is the same goddamn thing as someone performing as a source of income. So if I were to be a singer, and I love music, I would be a dirty sellout if I got signed with a record label and made an album?!? But then your gonna try to say "that doesn't pertain to this site or community, that is a different culture altogether". Well then here is the part where I call you a royal jackass, look at poi...people have been in the entertainment industry with it for years and years, people make a living off of doing shows of fire poi and such, did that destroy the culture of poi? Fuck no! So why bitch and moan about things that aren't even relevant?

Well, this is a free website. We don't have to pay to be here. Those ads are helping the servers stay up so that we can stay here. Dave sure as hell isn't going to want to pay to keep this site running, that'd be way too expensive.

And I am going to say that that is a different culture all together. Poi and Glowsticking are very different. Poi was and still is a dance style that has cultural background. Glowsticking originated at the rave scene, so that makes it alot less respectable than Poi. I say that because of all the drug stereotypes surrounding the rave scene.

It seems to me like this is an online tyranny, on the surface everyone is happy and grand, and when there is a conflict "the mighty and swift cynicdave" comes to put people in their place, comes to ban, or suspend or congradulate...but all in all the hardest thing to do, the thing that makes you a true, pure hearted stringer/freehander, is love everyone regardless of the petty differences, I've seen people take sides with gsc I've seen people take sides on the other end, and when that happens GS.C is the first to start saying "who gives a fuck, they won't be remembered, they were never even an important role" so wait, your claiming that they never really mattered? Then that just goes to show that you are a two-faced lying hypocritical son of a bitch!�

Again, I've never seen GSC say that. And I lol'd at the swift and mighty dave. Dave isn't as rash as you think he is. Dave only rips on someone if they break the rules repeatedly.

Another thing is that I saw a thread where cynicdave says "the drama is intentional. it wasn't unintentional. consider that long time members didn't think to even remember this or even consider it important.

Probably because the drama that you are talking about was so minoot that Dave didn't bother dealing with it. Really, only the newer members get up in arms over little things.

sometimes you need to let loose some emotions for people to remember again.

That's true. Sometimes, but only when its appropriate.

and the cutting out of the degradation of our values is more important than 1 day of potential newbies seeing this. of which our staff members are doing a great job recruiting. if it turns away some people who don't get the picture with all the people posting in it, then it was the right people to turn away."

Wellllll, I just so happened to join this day, and just so happened to read it on my first day, and just so happened to realize that you don't give a SHIT about anyone unless they have proven themselves to you.

Never once did I have to prove myself to anyone here. Neither did alot of the people I know here. In fact, i've yet to see anyone need to prove themselves to be a part of the site. Where do you get your facts from? I posted something that was a very serious issue on my mind a few months back, and got nothing but the utmost respect from people that don't even know my real name.

Which is egotistical and quite simply a megalomaniac. You see you claim to be protecting the culture with your rules and crazy laws of the land, but the truth is, is that you are protecting it, from evolving, to being it's own culture, without you trying to dictate it, you are trying to hang on to this because it's all you have, you have it in your head that you invented this culture, regardless if you have said those words or not, your actions speak much louder.

We are not trying to dictate anything. Nor do we believe we started the culture. the culture that we have here, at GSC is what we are protecting. It has evolved since it started, 2001. GSC is hardly all I have, too. I have plenty of places that I could go and do this for, but I'm choosing to do this for GSC because it is what I believe in, because it has been there for me when I needed it, and because of the respect I have for the GSC culture, as it is helping me get into the bigger rave culture. I don't have to be by GSC's side. I'm choosing to. I love GSC.

Fact of the matter is, you DID NOT invent this lifestyle, you DID NOT invent the glowstick, you DID NOT invent anything but an online community which is an online tyranny now, and some moves to accentuate the lifestyle as a whole.

This we know, but it's only a tyranny because you claim it so. Many people would agree with me when I ask you that, without proof of this, physical proof, you are merely blowing smoke. We are not a controlling Mother Brain without a soul. The things that happen here, happen because of the people that join and then cannot follow the simplest rules ever. And then things get blown out of proportion because the people that get reprimanded get angry because they got called on for an error they made. You will not group everyone here as a whole, you should be calling on the people that you are mad at. The website didn't do anything to you, the website is just chilling there going "Yo, I'm a website."

You act like if you weren't around then no one would ever know what a fucking glowstick is!

No.

Which is so pathetic it amuses me...but I'm not even gonna travel down that road because then I would totally contradict myself, (like you do with every other fucking sentence you speak)...

Again, no.

I'll stay on point, I have never met cynicdave, I have never met cleric, I have never met alot of the staff here...but all I want to say is I respect each of them, regardless of them having flaws or huge egos, and this is what it is about!

Right. Like I said, I respect your opinions too. I'm merely commenting. :)

If I am not banned for this I would very much like to stay a part of this community, but only if I'm not going to be judged just because I have a different perspective.

You aren't going to get banned for posting this, don't worry.

And you don't need to be worried about being judged.

And if I get anyone flaming me, or Dave pissed at me screaming whatever he can think of, then that just goes to prove that I'm right and he can't take criticism, I am not trying to call you out or have beef with you, I am trying to say "fucking stop the bullshit and live in peace!"�

So before this is twisted and contorted into whatever text some asshole wants It to be, I shall state "I RESPECT CYNICDAVE, I RESPECT CLERIC, I RESPECT EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET!"

But I do not respect the lack of common respect for one another, the true enemy is creating enemies for no reason other then to make ourselves look good!

You are going to get flamed. Let's face it, it's the internet. You can't post a blank post without getting flamed.

Cynicdave, you have created something that has in a small way helped my life, but instead of crushing all who have different beliefs, why don't you accept everyone? Why don't you just let there be peace? And when someone else blows up and freaks out on you, just ignore it and let your silence prove them to be the bad guy? There is so much more potential for this lifestyle then what your allowing people to do, there is nothing wrong with competetive spirits! If me and my best friend ADUB, were seeing who could learn a certain set of moves first that is not destroying the true nature of our beliefs! It's just us having fun and progressing, we wouldn't wake up every day thinking "I'm so gonna beat him to the punch with this contest!"

It would be more like "I'm glad I know what I already have learned, I wonder if he is feeling the same right now"

I sort of agree with the "silence" part. Only sort of though. I still disdain glowstick battles. If you think that the competitive spirit should be alive, then props to you. Just don't try and change it here. That might get some negative attention on you, because most of us here have strong feelings against battling.

If you truly believe what you preach, if you truly love this culture, then you would not be trying to rule it, your opinion is not the only one in the world! Everyone has their different expressions and feelings, you need to learn to accept that and you will never have another enemy in your life, guarenteed! So next time someone does something against your code of conduct, try changing your perspective and maybe it doesn't really conflict with your rules anymore...

Only time will tell if this was in vein or not...

Mad love to all you who have shown me this exquisite path...May your lives be blessed =]

<3

DB

yo

ny

o �

It was good talking with you, feel free to respond to me if you want, I like talking about this kind of stuff. :)

Have a good one, and take it easy. :D

BTW, Welcome to GSC.

I know the last post was a few days ago and I feel that this thread may be close to dying, but I took a lot of time to read every last post in this thread and I have a few opinions. First, I hate all the flaming and badmouthing. I don't really feel it was necessary, but I won't go any further than that.

Second, I am new and being new, this site has completely opened my eyes. I happened upon GS.C by chance and fell in love immediately. One of the first things I did was read the culture section and several threads relating to it. I was pleased when I read about PLUR as it was a philosophy I already use in my life even though I've never used the acronym PLUR per se. From my understanding PLUR is all about being brothers with your fellow sticker and completely immersing yourself in the music and the vibe of those around you, not worrying about who is watching you. Doing this brings you closer to that essence that is the rave or party and the more people getting into the vibe themselves the better the vibe gets.

I have played a lot of sports in my life so I know about competition, in fact, by nature I am very competitive. I make everything into a competition. But because of the belief that we should all be brothers and enjoy the "vibe" together, I can't bring myself to ever justify battles, crews, or sticking for money. I'll explain:

I am new and if I wanted to go to a rave and stick and battling was a norm, I would be very discouraged to stick. This is because battles have a competitive nature, duh. At the most fundamental level a competition is trying to see if you are better than another, there can be no arguing there. Whether the competition is in all good nature between friends, when it is a competition, someone ends up being the "better one."

I would not want to stick in that environment because I would always feel like I'm being one-upped. The purpose of sticking, going to raves, and PLUR in general is to be equal with everyone and feel the "vibe" together, not as competitors. A battle ruins the essence of what it means to stick under the virtues of PLUR.

The next point is crews. Going back to being brothers, if everyone sticking or everyone at a rave are brothers already, what need is there for crews. If you think about it everyone is already one big "crew." Creating a crew only splits people up from that Unity.

Lastly is sticking for money. A lot of things can happen when money is involved. Your favorite hobby or game can suddenly become work and you could completely lose all interest because it is no longer fun. This, of course, is only a possibility, but why do you need money in the first place. Sticking and going to raves and such allow you to escape the world; allow you to become a part of this whole new sensation that you can't experience in normal day-to-day life. Money will only dilute that world and make it real. Leave money out of it and enjoy your escape.

Personally, I feel if you want to stick for money then go ahead, you are ruining your own escape and it in no ruins my experience; unless you start battling, which brings the next summary. Battles and crews go against, what I feel, is the essence of sticking and why people stick. I love the concept of PLUR and will uphold that philosophy forever. I believe I would also be correct in saying that GS.C,in the majority, also believes in the ideals and virtues behind PLUR which is why its members take such a strong stance against battles, crews, and sticking for money, and nothing can change that because that is the culture they love and will forever protect.

i know you're new, but i think i love you =3

LMAO jk.

And that ladies and gentlemen is what the rave culture is all about =D

One thing that I would like to understand is if you do not like and believe in the ideas of GS.C why are you here complaining. I may be on the newer side of this community but I really believe in what everyone is about.

Example...if you like are why would you join a computer club it just makes no sense. If you are all about getting money for stringing and battling other people why join a community that is about not battling and just have fun with stringing.

Every time I see this video, it gives me goosebumps, makes my hair stand, and really forces myself to realize that my ego controls too much of my life.

I hope this puts things into perspective...this thread, GS.C, and glowsticking are not really important in the bigger picture. That is all. (I still love to glowstick tho)

You know most NBA and NFL players play not for the love of the game but for the money that follows it..

Glowsticking should remain non competitive.. I have just joined the site and read a thread about a guy who was spinning in school and seen everyone flame him because of the culture so i read up on it and it makes perfect sense..

There are so many VERY talented people that live near me and raving is exploading down here in UT everyone is bringing strings to school and everything..

I will start off by saying i will fight to keep the culture of the art and give people information about the site and tell them they should learn about the culture before showing off at school to gain popularity, because raving in general has become apart of my life for about a year now and i dont want to see the culture crumble in mainstream like other arts have..

ehh im jus jabbering now.. ima get back to spinning :smilewinkgrin: