Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynoboy

GS.C Wake Up Call...

98 posts in this topic

First off I am in no way writing this to bag on anyone, I am not trying to seek revenge for former friends being banned/leaving...my intentions for this is to figure out why there is so much drama created by the people who claim to disregard/dislike drama as a whole.

So here it goes,

I have been a member of this community for a whole 20 hours or so...and already I want to personally bitch slap about 15 people, this site was formed for people to be able to come together as a community and share ideas and beliefs and grow, no one will argue that unless you are undoubtedly retarded. The problem I see is that instead of it being an open invitation to all and anyone can share their feelings/beliefs, you have to walk on eggshells as to not offend others, but anything you do will somehow effect someone out there, the thing that needs to happen is we look past it, you don't focus on things that you can use to tear eachother apart, it's sad to see such an amazing concept or idea such as GS.C pulled so far from what it u

Is truly meant to be, if this community was all about keeping the culture preserved and keeping it from being taken into the mainstream, then why the fuck is it so advertised? Why are there countless videos after video on YouTube promoting this? Is that not the same as competitions? People go on YouTube and see a video, it's flashy, it's cool, it makes them want to be a cool kid too and start stringing/freehanding. My main point is, is that competition is everywhere, it is a completly HEALTHY aspect of life and without it we would never grow or evolve. So am I saying everyone should start having stringing battles?!? NO! I'm saying to certain people that's what makes them happy, succeeding in an event where their practices are rewarded, it makes them feel good that they not only accomplished something, but others tell them that they did. Not everyone can start sticking and feel good about themselves, some people need attention given to them to make them feel successful, and who the fuck is in any type of position to say they are wrong? This site needs to accept everyone with open arms no matter what they feel about the person, PLUR isn't just about being peaceful, or loving, or unity, or respect for someone who deserves it, it's about giving PLUR to anyone and everyone even when you don't have the same beliefs as them...I was pretty happy to join until I started reading forums and seeing how much hypocricy there is in every word spoken by the "true stickers". I know damn well that cynicdave can delete this, he can ban me, he can tell everyone to shun me, but when it all comes down to it, he would be the true cause of non-PLUR if he did that. I am simply expressing my opinions on here like everyone has the right to if you read the terms and conditions, Dave also reserves the right to ban me if he so pleases, I know this i get it, but I'm saying that even though this is a private site, owned by a private individual, he has made it public, saying it is for anyone who is interested/loves the culture, but I feel that if I say something he doesn't agree with, or if I do something like attend an event where some people had a poi battle, then I'm gonna get flamed and banned and told to go do something with my life, that I'm just a pathetic little fucking leech who doesn't respect those who work their asses off. Well I am most certainly not a pathetic little leech, if that's what you think then YOUR the problem here, you see, no two people are alike, everyone had their differences and I bet Dave and cleric could somehow end up hating eachother due to some different beliefs somewhere in each of their lives, but the point is to not exploit those differences, the point is to embrace the differences, because if we were all alike then we would have no stringing, no freehanding, hell the glowstick wouldn't even be invented because no one ever would think outside the box. It's sad to see such tension, it's sad to see very valuable friendships destroyed in just a few words written on here, all because 2 people didn't see eye to eye. Another thing is the anti-crew policy, what defines a crew? Because im sure that I have a large group of friends who we all attend raves/parties together, if someone on the outside were to see us all hanging out wearing similar shirts, hats, etc. They would think we are a crew, even though we did nothing to appear as such, our intentions were nowhere near that, people still drew this concept in their minds. The whole point is "who cares if there are crews or not?!?" you guys saying that when crews are formed then they make you choose this side or that side, but isn't that the same exact thing you guys "as a community" did when jellybeanx left, or jun0, or nitro? The thing is, is if I were to stick up for one of them in those old threads, I would be told to show where my loyalties lie, which is making me choose sides. 

Are you starting to see the underlying hypocricy yet? Wait...there is more

you claim that performing for money is such a sellout move, or even Elvin spinning at an event that was in conflict with your beliefs is selling out. 

Wait, hold on, what the fuck is up with all the ads on this site? You generate $170 roughly a month from shit on this site, and that's not even including the donations or paid memberships, now I'm not saying you are gaining profits off this site, but you are indeed "whoring" yourself out to get some financial help, which in turn is the same goddamn thing as someone performing as a source of income. So if I were to be a singer, and I love music, I would be a dirty sellout if I got signed with a record label and made an album?!? But then your gonna try to say "that doesn't pertain to this site or community, that is a different culture altogether". Well then here is the part where I call you a royal jackass, look at poi...people have been in the entertainment industry with it for years and years, people make a living off of doing shows of fire poi and such, did that destroy the culture of poi? Fuck no! So why bitch and moan about things that aren't even relevant? It seems to me like this is an online tyranny, on the surface everyone is happy and grand, and when there is a conflict "the mighty and swift cynicdave" comes to put people in their place, comes to ban, or suspend or congradulate...but all in all the hardest thing to do, the thing that makes you a true, pure hearted stringer/freehander, is love everyone regardless of the petty differences, I've seen people take sides with gsc I've seen people take sides on the other end, and when that happens GS.C is the first to start saying "who gives a fuck, they won't be remembered, they were never even an important role" so wait, your claiming that they never really mattered? Then that just goes to show that you are a two-faced lying hypocritical son of a bitch! 

Another thing is that I saw a thread where cynicdave says "the drama is intentional. it wasn't unintentional. consider that long time members didn't think to even remember this or even consider it important.

sometimes you need to let loose some emotions for people to remember again.

and the cutting out of the degradation of our values is more important than 1 day of potential newbies seeing this. of which our staff members are doing a great job recruiting. if it turns away some people who don't get the picture with all the people posting in it, then it was the right people to turn away."

Wellllll, I just so happened to join this day, and just so happened to read it on my first day, and just so happened to realize that you don't give a SHIT about anyone unless they have proven themselves to you. Which is egotistical and quite simply a megalomaniac. You see you claim to be protecting the culture with your rules and crazy laws of the land, but the truth is, is that you are protecting it, from evolving, to being it's own culture, without you trying to dictate it, you are trying to hang on to this because it's all you have, you have it in your head that you invented this culture, regardless if you have said those words or not, your actions speak much louder. Fact of the matter is, you DID NOT invent this lifestyle, you DID NOT invent the glowstick, you DID NOT invent anything but an online community which is an online tyranny now, and some moves to accentuate the lifestyle as a whole. You act like if you weren't around then no one would ever know what a fucking glowstick is! Which is so pathetic it amuses me...but I'm not even gonna travel down that road because then I would totally contradict myself, (like you do with every other fucking sentence you speak)...I'll stay on point, I have never met cynicdave, I have never met cleric, I have never met alot of the staff here...but all I want to say is I respect each of them, regardless of them having flaws or huge egos, and this is what it is about! If I am not banned for this I would very much like to stay a part of this community, but only if I'm not going to be judged just because I have a different perspective.

And if I get anyone flaming me, or Dave pissed at me screaming whatever he can think of, then that just goes to prove that I'm right and he can't take criticism, I am not trying to call you out or have beef with you, I am trying to say "fucking stop the bullshit and live in peace!" 

So before this is twisted and contorted into whatever text some asshole wants It to be, I shall state "I RESPECT CYNICDAVE, I RESPECT CLERIC, I RESPECT EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET!"

But I do not respect the lack of common respect for one another, the true enemy is creating enemies for no reason other then to make ourselves look good!

Cynicdave, you have created something that has in a small way helped my life, but instead of crushing all who have different beliefs, why don't you accept everyone? Why don't you just let there be peace? And when someone else blows up and freaks out on you, just ignore it and let your silence prove them to be the bad guy? There is so much more potential for this lifestyle then what your allowing people to do, there is nothing wrong with competetive spirits! If me and my best friend ADUB, were seeing who could learn a certain set of moves first that is not destroying the true nature of our beliefs! It's just us having fun and progressing, we wouldn't wake up every day thinking "I'm so gonna beat him to the punch with this contest!"

It would be more like "I'm glad I know what I already have learned, I wonder if he is feeling the same right now"

If you truly believe what you preach, if you truly love this culture, then you would not be trying to rule it, your opinion is not the only one in the world! Everyone has their different expressions and feelings, you need to learn to accept that and you will never have another enemy in your life, guarenteed! So next time someone does something against your code of conduct, try changing your perspective and maybe it doesn't really conflict with your rules anymore...

Only time will tell if this was in vein or not...

Mad love to all you who have shown me this exquisite path...May your lives be blessed =]

<3

DB

yo

ny

o  

holy shit...

let me first say this. People in the poi community such as rovo and oldmannyc and others i've met through out the years have stated "it sucks that people do this as a living for performances sometimes because they aren't as willing to teach you things they know because they are worried about losing money."

So yeah it has hurt the poi community a bit at certain times and in certain places. I'll try to get to the other stuff little by little. I see your points...i just don't agree with them.

Also.. did you join simply for the fact that we had a thread going on that had your possible friends being blasted in it?

holy shit...

let me first say this. People in the poi community such as rovo and oldmannyc and others i've met through out the years have stated "it sucks that people do this as a living for performances sometimes because they aren't as willing to teach you things they know because they are worried about losing money."

So yeah it has hurt the poi community a bit at certain times and in certain places. I'll try to get to the other stuff little by little. I see your points...i just don't agree with them.

Also.. did you join simply for the fact that we had a thread going on that had your possible friends being blasted in it?

noooo, i did not join to just talk crap or flame you guys, i joined because i had friends in the community telling me i should, so i did, and it was the first time ive been on here, and i came across ooooold forums and such with people i know in them, and like i said this is in no way trying to hurt you or attack you, or anyone, but it is my observation and at first i almost deleted my account without saying a word, but then i realized that that would be letting hatred get the best of me, so i decided to share my delima and show that people are focusing on all the wrong things, instead of creating negative situations just to prove your right, why dont we all just make bad situations posative?!? and the poi thing, im saying you are always gonna find jerks who arent willing to teach, but that doesnt mean every performer who gets paid is gonna be an ass to you cuz they are egotistical...i just said that poi is not diluted and destroyed as you guys mention would happen to glowsticking if it were brought to the public...

I totally agree on the idea of just accepting people no matter what. I don't like having to be selective just because certain people want to shun crews or battling or whatever. If that person or "crew" or whatever are being jerks or something, that's cool, I don't like dealing with people who are going to be assholes, but if they do the crew thing for fun, or whatever, I don't think there should be a reason to shun them or try and change them.....

.... i don't know how many times i've typed this out.... but here we go again.

Am I the only one who remembers when the scene went huge mainstream and just got watered down and then gained the attention of local law enforcement agencies and then parties started getting shut down and the whole thing became a giant joke to everyone? The whole ravers being e-tard and sucking on pacifiers thing?

I don't understand why the rules are so fucking difficult and strict for people.

I came to this site and didnt get along with staff... i didnt get along with members outside my own region. I was a punk who came here and caused problems.

BUT I did respect and understand the rules and why they were in place (long before i even really knew or understood what battling was). I never wanted glowstringing or freehand to become the joke that the scene as a whole had become.

So the whole idea of don't stick in HS because it'll become a fad and people won't care about the culture it came from, made sense.

It made sense to not go on a street corner and do it.

When i fully understood what was going on in TX , i saw why battling is NOT something that i felt should be involved in the art of glowsticking.

Rave crews and families never made any sense to me either. Back then everyone at the party was your family. There was no need to segregate yourself from anyone, there was no need to have a clique at a rave. I guess times have changed. But GSc still wants to hold onto that original view of everyone is accepted.

Now with that said your arguement will sound something like "but everyone with a different view is NOT accepted", this is not true. You are accepted to have your views, for simply stating them you don't get banned, suspended or anything. We hope you will stick around...go to meetups and maybe one day understand why we feel the way we do. It took time for me... I'll be the first to admit some of the things that go on didnt make complete sense. But it reaches a point where if you are going to make movements to undermine how we run things on the site.... meaning you actually put effort into recruiting people to your side of thinking to simply cause drama, then we ask you to leave. If you don't want to leave then it causes issues like we are having now where shit just keeps stirring till it reaches the boiling point.

We have been really easy going the past year or so trying to let people stick around even after they do things that go against some of the sites written rules and unwritten rules. I mean shit... when i first got in charge of this shit I banned people left and right for being assholes. Of course all those people were welcome back once they understood why they were banned. I've had to ban really good friends of mine.

I like to hang out with like minded individuals. It's just amazing to me that the people that understand the few rules we have I get along with the best. We really dont ask that much.

Keep in mind the online website is a tiny tiny tiny piece of this whole thing. The real life interaction is what keeps most people (at least on the east coast) coming back.

You want to point at what ads MIGHT generate assuming dave actually makes money. Not a whole lot of people donate... a bunch of those platinum members you see are former staff. Now you can say dave makes alot of money on the site.. you would be wrong but you can say that.

What about the staff? We don't make any money. I haven't made one red cent the 7 years i've been here. I've spent a shit ton of my own money to pay for space rentals for meetups (hell rai just dropped 400 on the rental for the last meetup, and we only got about 150 back from people donating at the end of the meetup so thats still 250 that he paid out)... for sticks for people at parties... given rides to people ..paid ENTRY for parties for people. I do it because this is my passion. I would do anything I can for the members in my region and people coming in from other regions to visit.

(shits gets real now) So when fucktards come on the site and act like know it all fucking assholes and want to walk all over and talk shit about something I've put so much of my own time and money into I get a little fucking pissed off and want to know why they think they have the right to say anything after being a member for only 15 hours.

We don't claim to invent the glowstick or the rave or parties. But we are attempting to hold onto the original rave culture. We have youtube videos with gsc tagged so maybe people will come here and attempt to learn the art and a little about where it comes from and why we are the way we are. As opposed to other sites who could give a fuck less and just want to do this shit for props and don't have problems with people whoring it out for money. So yes we have to put ourselves out there a little bit.

Before youtube everything was basically contained on GSc, it was the only real choice at the time. Now people just upload video to youtube. What are you saying we should make a rule people can't upload to youtube cause then they are promoting it to be mainstream? Then we sound like fucking assholes and elitist saying we won't share anything.

Don't you think if Dave wanted to make real money off this he could have? Come on... we havent had a proper shop for gsc merchandise in so fucking long... thats how much he truly cares about making money off the site. He just broke even on a dvd that to many of us was a fantastic collection of our memories. He flys cross country to meetups, he doesnt step into the middle of the room and announce himself. He does it to just meet new people and be a part of the community. He is a grown ass man with a grown up job that pays for this site. He managed to build this site ...recruit people that cared enough to help him and stick around all these years because this is an amazing place to be. It's when people who don't find a group of people who agree with what THEY want to do and they cause drama that we have nonsense like this. Like i said in the other thread and earlier in this one.. stick around..if you see it's not for you then just leave. Come back later in life and see if it's something you want to be a part of then. Why people want to get so bent out of shape and actually make long diatribe posts about how they don't agree instead of just going to find a community that maybe falls more inline with what they want is mind boggling to me.

How someone can come to the site and after 15 hours think that they are saying an original argument that we haven't heard before amazes me . Do these people think that all of a sudden we are going to read it and be like "omg .. i never thought of it like that".. LOL . No.. the few people who come here and cause problems are NOTHING coming to the amount of people that come here understand or try to understand, come to meetups and parties and be part of the community.

Wait a sec, you just hopped into a little of slander against me saying that after 15 hrs and I think I should run this place, I know I'm new to here, but like I started from the beginning, I am not causing the tension, I am saying YOU cleric need to not care so much about the tension, I respect you are preserving or are trying to preserve the culture, but there are a few ways to preserve it better, and if you choose not to do it that way then ok, I still don't hate you...I just thought that I'm allowed to speak my mind, I thought you guys preach that every person matters and you aren't elitest, but when you say things bashing me for only being a member for a day, it goes to prove you guys are a closed community in which I have to gain an audiance with you like your a king. And the YouTube thing, I didn't say you should stop making videos, I said that it is generally the same thing as glowsticking being advertised or in contests...because it is, but I think it is all good things, and that's my view.

Also I never said that cynicdave makes a profit off of this site, nor did I say any of you staff do either! I said he generates money from those ads to HELP pay for the site, which is a form of getting money for glowsticking...

All in all I said it many times and Ill say it again, I'm not trying to cause the drama, I want to seek pure love for eachother as a family! =]

arggg.. im losing my edge.... sorry for being a douche at certain points in that post. Just the roid rage and all ....

a person getting up on a stage... glowsticking..get off the stage and taking a cash payout it a far cry different from

owning a site that has 90% of the adds being glowstick related...and getting some money from that to keep a site going for people to meet at.

I see how you can say what your saying... but it's totally different circumstances ...different thoughts behind it, quite frankly an insane stretch of the statement "getting money for glowsticking"

And the YouTube thing, I didn't say you should stop making videos, I said that it is generally the same thing as glowsticking being advertised or in contests...because it is, but I think it is all good things, and that's my view.

explain to me in detail how people hosting their vids on youtube is the same as glowsticking in a contest. I don't see the similarities.

But the overall intention for my message is that we are all doing the same things, just to different degrees and in different scenarios...if you step back and truly disconnect yourself from humanity as a whole, you see that alot of things are similar to one another, and that some people will notice this, and others will claim they are nothing alike, fact of the matter is, is that we are all imperfect and view thongs differently, so why not just recognize that and get along?

but when you say things bashing me for only being a member for a day, it goes to prove you guys are a closed community

Dude,seriously. He said he gives everything he can to the community, so when new people come in and say "UR DOIN IT WRONG" he gets PISSED.

He wasnt just saying "fuck you cause ur new and voicing an opinion".

Just that he gets irritated when people question him when they don't really know the whole story.

Am I wrong?

Dude,seriously. He said he gives everything he can to the community, so when new people come in and say "UR DOIN IT WRONG" he gets PISSED.

He wasnt just saying "fuck you cause ur new and voicing an opinion".

Just that he gets irritated when people question him when they don't really know the whole story.

Am I wrong?

No your right about that.... but since i have dark green text for my name I have to try and word it better then I would if my name was in red.

Posting videos on YouTube, you are releasing our culture to the world, and untrained untaught world, so when they go on YouTube, they view a video from you, then they see a video of me, they talk shit to me because they saw you and your so much better then me, how is that not now a competition? No matter what this world will try to make everything into a competition in some way or another, so instead of raising he'll against it, try to guide it into being a healthy cometetive lifestyle, with balance, and not letting it become what you fear it will...because holding back and not trying to evolve with it, will make you either ultimately kill it, or it will evolve beyond your control and you can no longer moderate it's essence...that's just my view on it

how is that not a competition? really guy?

It's not a competition because you and me are not competing. We aren't trying to win anything or beat the other person.

Now when someone says "dude you suck this other guy is so much better" how would you respond to that?

A guy around here tried the "healthy" "fun" style of competition and battling. Guess what... didn't work. People at parties then felt pressure and didnt even want to stick when that group of people were around. It's not something the scene is ment for.

Ok and that is your view, my view varies, but that isn't even the essential reason for this thread, my original message states that even if people want to compete, this community should love them and respect them, I'm not saying you even have to support them, I'm just saying that painting them as horrible sellout people and just slandering them is wrong, just ban them or whatever and leave it at that, why the unnecessicary shit talking and why do you try to turn people against them? It is not cool and you don't need propaganda like that in here, we don't need it anywhere in life...so when someone does something that you feel they should get banned for, leave it at that...no making others hate them just cuz you do...

Homestarhater75: (12:56:49 AM) yup and I wanna get a ton of ultras and string in front of the 10k ppl here each night haha

Homestarhater75: (12:57:20 AM) it's like a winter wonderland carnival thing, the size of a camp that sleeps 1000 ppl

Jinsmyles: (12:58:18 AM)lol why do you want everyone to look?

Homestarhater75: (12:58:56 AM) idk they might give me some change like a homeless man hahha

Jinsmyles: (12:59:44 AM)thats like stringing for moneyz >.>

Homestarhater75: (12:59:58 AM) haha naaaw

Jinsmyles: (1:00:18 AM)no?

Homestarhater75: (1:00:31 AM) I just want ppl to see the epicness of stringing like jun0 showed me

i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-d

he says he has been on the site for 20 hours, but he has 8 glowsticking.com friends on facebook of which many are affiliated with jun0.

dude, don't represent that you are some kind of unbiased viewer.

not sure how you got to knowing the google ad revenues generate 170, but that's nearly correct.

server fees are 250 a month =) none of the people who were banned typically donate, so honestly i'm less likely to listen to people who use up the resources on the site to promote their views.

You can lecture me all you want about the site not being able to exist, but hey, I think the traffic and the results of the site itself speaks for itself.

If you are so gung-ho about making it about crews, making money, why don't you start your own thing? maybe if you were to spend a lot of money per month and trying to get people to do work and be passionate about it you'd speak differently.

anyhow, i don't see why you would want to be here given how you view me =)

you could just leave...... or you could just talk more crap. whatever, who cares?

i don't think we as a community should pay for people who are gonna make money of us. but that's what i think. i think most people agree.

I'm just saying that painting them as horrible sellout people and just slandering them is wrong, just ban them or whatever and leave it at that, why the unnecessicary shit talking and why do you try to turn people against them?

cause um, that's what we believe? we really do believe they are horrible sell-outs! i think we have the right to talk about how we feel about people like you on this site.

there are alternatives for you. there is GXG.com and there is stringeforum. try those out =)

also, personally i find it odd that your friend jun0 would tell you to join the site when he knows as well as everyone we don't support competitions at all.

as an aside, i think it would be almost impossible to have the reach glowsticking.com does if you were to support crews and competitions as nobody would want to support a framework that just would mean moves were being shared and we all know competitions are all about moves which are "better" than everyone else. all of that create fissures and divisions. i think a division coming from drama coming from NOT allowing promotion of community on our own site is FAR MORE PREFERABLE to divisions coming from actually allowing competitions.

So I made a strategic and logical tradeoff, as opposed to a moral one, to rather have drama coming from not supporting competitions then to have all the drama coming from supporting them =)

When you are able to think this way, you can be successful. You can't, with a straight face, say we don't support competitions, then all of a sudden do nothing about it. Something doesn't fly there. THAT would be hypocritical.

I don't think there should be a reason to shun them or try and change them.....

Dude, we're not going into people's homes and calling their cell phones and preaching that they should stop. But if they had any class, they wouldn't be here, they would just leave. A lot of people have done that, and we've forgotten about them. We move on.

So why don't you?

Man, i feel bad for Cleric, Melvenorc, Wes, Sparrow, etc, all of those who really pushed the art of stringing and now people like Dynoboy says none of it came from glowsticking.com and everything just existed before and he should just do whatever he wants and support people who compete and battle whoever.

But all of those guys donate so much money and time to this art that I really cannot with a good conscience even consider letting people who compete freeely express their views on the site. it's so easy to create a bulletinboard these days. i think that's what all the dynoboys and jun0's should do.

Dude, we're not going into people's homes and calling their cell phones and preaching that they should stop. But if they had any class, they wouldn't be here, they would just leave. A lot of people have done that, and we've forgotten about them. We move on.

So why don't you?

Don't get me wrong. I love this community, a lot, but I also believe that there should be a way to respect each other better. I understand the hostility, especially because everyone has invested so much into trying to make the glowsticking community something sacred and special, and I am all for that, but I have seen times where someone will say "Hey, I am doing this talent show...." and people just start pouncing the kid. However, there are the people who try explaining the culture, and giving the resources, and that is awesome, but if that person still decides to do the talent show, people start to shun him...and that is what I feel is wrong.

What I would like to see out of this community, is more respect for each other, if someone is causing shit, then for all means, get that crap out of here, but if the issue is only about conflicting views, don't turn it into a drama fest. I believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, and that should be the end of it. Nothing more.

So lets say we as GSC staff have a mission to promote no competitions. It's our mission we've been doing for almost a decade.

So someone starts talking about how making money from glowsticking is good. About how competitions is great. Shouldn't we step in and disagree, like how we are doing now?

As for high school kids, we usually give them chance to explain themselves. Everyone gets multiple chances here. Cleric was banned once, now he's a fucking admin.

Mevenorc also disagreed with some of our stances, we had a long discussion about it and he's still a high ranking staff member.

Don't be so naive. Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to have the dedication we do. Respect us for that-- we love glowsticking.

Also Earring: We did exactly as you said for an entire year.

During that year, we had dozens of people like you saying we should compete now. We didn't step in and do anything because the feeling was we should be more lenient. We had a pretty loose policy in which people get to say whatever they want.

What a mistake that was. Look what's happening now.