Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoeman6

Incorporation of "pen spinning"

24 posts in this topic

I'm really interested in this "freehanding"

Has anyone ever tried implementing penspinning tricks along with the usual combo or routine?

using penspinning you could have like 2 glow sticks in each hand spinning in a circular motion between your fingers while you trace or what not being very trippy.

Or implementing tricks in other ways (as I'm new to glowsticking I'm not quite sure)

I'd love to see how this could be thrown together though ;].

I've personally seen maybe 10 threads on pen spinning being incorporated with freehanding. I have yet to see it actually happen, and I don't think it really ever will :/ Enough people don't like the idea of isolations alone, let alone pen spinning.

As I get better at it i'll make a vid, promise =] and glow in the dark spinning by itself is pretty tight...

Spinning a glowstick like a pen isn't that hard and once I get better at glowsticking in general i'll start doing stuff involving both... It might just be because they're two different types of manipulations but I think they go hand in hand (haha)...

I think some tricks could be forgotten with glowsticking much like poi and glow stringing are kind of cousins.

for ex here are some tricks I think would be nifty for use along side current freehand routines.

Infinities (trick makes the stick go in a figure 8 motion)

And when you're done with a routine and just chilling, sitting at the bar or wtvr, you could pen spin the glow sticks to the music.

Charge (circular motion)

Aerials, we have a trick called the Leigun where we basically snap the pen so it flies to the other hand horizontally

Arounds (continuous specifically) where you have the well "glowstick" go around the finger multiple times in succession like charge but it actually rotates the pen 360 instead of a 360 pivot.

edit: I notice in a lot of isolation you get the "circular motion" going, idk as you said isolation might be in the same boat as psing with glowsticks but that "motion" could be much easier achieved with the "charge" going into a a combo that stalls which would make much more complicated patterns to the motions inbetween each lock. or could just add complexity to a whole routine.

I've tried spinning glowsticks before. So far, I can't do the charge. The glowstick is too bulky for me :P.

Sonics work though. That's the only one I've had succession with.

This is also my first time posting in the Freehander's section of GSC. Woo!

This was previously a supporters only clip, but I figure its about time to release it to the general public. Check it out.

Right click save as

I truly wonder what other kind of secrets the Supporter Sections holds.

Very nice thing, he does a charge which isn't much, and it was a pretty bad angle for the charge (camera) that guy sitting down probably got a pretty good view though...

I'm also talking about more things like swivels and advanced psing tricks that would REALLY add to your freehanding repertoires and could really take this to another level of amazingness ^^.

The charge is a pretty basic trick but you could incorporate full penspinning combos into your butterflies (I think that's the term) and other such tricks like finger passes and triangle passes into your anti spins.

Again i'm new to gsing so tell me if I'm getting these terms correct. =]

these could also let you trace some pretty amazing things with less waving hands around and add flare to the longer strokes

Welcome to the community, hope you stick around and learn some stuffs. :D

This was previously a supporters only clip, but I figure its about time to release it to the general public. Check it out.

Right click save as

That was silly. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing that, dood.

Made a video of me spinning a glow stick =]

(accidentally bought 4 inchers but hey, it turned out alright =](

pentrix.com linked to us a long time ago. the founder of pentrix determined that it's hard to spin glowsticks because of the property of the glowstick itself. it's full of liquid, bulky, flimsy.

however, some elements can be taken and have been imitated before, but nobody really pushed it. if you can do it, that would be awesome.

I have actually been trying to do with with glowsticks and to no avail.

I believe the physics of it is quite impossible; as mentioned the weight of the liquid in the glowstick shifts thereby throwing off the balance when you do spinning with it.

I have actually been trying to do with with glowsticks and to no avail.

I believe the physics of it is quite impossible; as mentioned the weight of the liquid in the glowstick shifts thereby throwing off the balance when you do spinning with it.

I see why you say its impossible to spin glowsticks because of the weight and other things but for me it's quite simple. i twirl glowsticks all the time and am currently attempting to make a trace/iso routine with spinnning glowsticks.

I see why you say its impossible to spin glowsticks because of the weight and other things but for me it's quite simple. i twirl glowsticks all the time and am currently attempting to make a trace/iso routine with spinnning glowsticks.

I'll believe it when I see it. But for now, no vid, no dice.

Hey guys,

Kam from pentrix here.

As I said many years ago, the variable weight distribution of a glow stick (caused by the liquid inside) poses a big problem for doing advanced pen spinning tricks. Also, from what I remember, glow sticks are pretty short compared to pens that pen spinners use nowadays.

In order to make this work, I see two possibilities:

1. Make a LED stick (using electronic parts instead of glowstick chemicals). The down side is that they tend to be more prone to breaking, and are not as bright.

You can get an idea of how this looks by watching this video of me spinning my LED pen.

2. Somehow split the glowstick into two halves so that the center of balance does not shift. I suspect even with the weight moving, if the center does not shift, you should be able to spin it pretty well (not as well as a pen, but still better than a normal glowstick.

I might give this another try now that I've gotten better at modifying pens (assuming I find the time). Anyone care to point me in the direction of picking a good glowstick?

Twirling glowsticks is not an issue.

I am assuming that the people int his thread are referring to the sick and insane advanced pen spinning routines which involve more than merely twirling, and it was to that I was referring as impossible.

Well you also have to consider what would look the best while spinning glowsticks, and many cases it wouldn't BE the sick insane tricks...

Although I'm really bad at penspinning, I decided to film a short video with a glowstick and a regular pen. I just want to show it's definitely possible to do, just harder. If I can do at least this, I'm sure those amazing penspinners could do really crazy stuff.

Download

Although I'm really bad at penspinning, I decided to film a short video with a glowstick and a regular pen. I just want to show it's definitely possible to do, just harder. If I can do at least this, I'm sure those amazing penspinners could do really crazy stuff.

Download

Daaaaaamn, I like that little wiggly thing you did at :26. I can barely even get a regular charge down. ^^;

Damn I stand corrected.

Great work!

Practice more and then do it with glowsticks in the dark. I wanna see how it would look like!