Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DACRepair

LED sticks

155 posts in this topic

is a 10mm led possible to use instead of a 5mm since its gonna be super custom made?

yes but they are sometimes hard to find and idk if they make 10mm

I was considering some 10mm white/amber/blue/other color for some super bright LED poi. I dont know how they will fit a glowstick tube though...

UPDATE:

LED's are in the mail, i have no clue about the micro controllers tho, i am out of 8 pinners and so i have to deal with some 16 pinners or more

More soon

UPDATE TO THIS UPDATE

PIC's are shipped and on their way, i have no idea when they will be in, prolly next week sometime

well firstoff i learned from classes at school, that was basic stuff like what does a resistor do?? and stuff like that

then i joined my school robotics team and did mechanical work and while i was doing that i really admired the electrical system so i joined electronics but also over that summer i studied and messed around and read up on stuff, so i am mostly self taught then i worked on some projects with some of our software guys that involved micros and serial controlled circuitry.

i reccomend that you do something simple

pick up a book

electronics is easy, its all logic and control, on thing leads to another

if you wanna start of stron try learning about basic components and then pick up logic tables, like learning binary and how inputs on specific circuits control their outputs

then you can understand how parts work and what sytem logic is, then when you are doing a project and it requires parts that you dont know how to use, you can easily pick up what they do because you already know the basics

I learned electronics through both my grandpa, and lots of independent self-teaching. I'm better at programming, but my understanding of electronics (especially logic stuff and programmable microcontrollers) has really expanded in the past couple of years.

So i made alot of design changes, as well as some new features that will make you all hyped up cause they are so pimp, so untill i finish tem, i am not giving out any design details other than wether they work or not and some design stuff but no schematics or detailed stuff

grr stupid chinese customs prolly seized my package

Dec 30, 2006 10:10 PM

Shipment exception

SHANGHAI CN

Delay beyond our control

(sorry for 3rd post in a row)

Ok, they are shipped again and all stuff should be here by the 4th

also, i have some new schematics done

cool... so when do you expect your sticks to be done in the making?

just curious, will your led sticks be customized according to customers listed need?

heres what i am doing :

RGB programmable sticks (just LED sticks that you can change the color) ~$30

Ultimate sticks (what i am working on now) ~$45-50

possible custom sticks (they will be muchos $$$$ but not alot, expect about 60-65 a pair)

btw these prices are just estimates since i get the parts from distributers where parts can be really cheap

so i can get 1 rgb LED for 1.78 but if i get like 1000 of them i only get charged like 88 cents per LED

ALSO UPDATE

My microcontrollers finally came in, its too early for usps but i hope my programmer and LED's come in the mail today

cool, sounds pretty interesting... would you mind putting up some pictures once you finish your design? and good luck on your progression... I'm not sure how you would fit everything in the glowstick casing but good luck!

small parts, very small parts, the bottom inch would all be components, but theres plenty of room

quick update OOOOHHHH MY FKING GOD I AM SO PISSED, i just found out that my stuff that i was told was shipped wasnt really shipped. so gimme a few weeks or so and i'll have an update

nice... what size are the bulbs on those?

IMO, they didn't look fully bright... but it looks pretty decent...

well thats 1 5mm LED in there, thats like a light "test", there are going to be 2 in there (1 on top facing down and one in the same position.

so yeah they are gonna be pretty bright!

OK got a test driver working, this is basically the finas circuit except the patr that programs it is huge and bulky, i will size it down a bit and remove parts and change software etc. b4 i release the info and call it "final"

YouTube Video

yeah, it would be brighter once you somehow place two bulbs inside... did you hold on to the sticks from above because it looks like a 4" glowstick... j/wing... you should have spinned the stick in circles to see how the effects would look like... but the prototype is still pretty sweet... good job man and good luck on trying to size it down...

they are from my LED sticks, they are only 4 inches (casue the LED module is like 2 inches long and glows 2) and they just slide into but yeah thus us just a demo, showing what the capability of it is sofar, so if you are gonna say "they need to be brighter" or "thats not long enuff" just wait, they are gonna be in full 6" sticks ans these are running on a breadboard with a bunch of parts and not specifically whats gonna be in the final design so they will get brighter

Also R3DLIN3, this is on a breadboard so i cant swing it around, however i got some small smd modules that i can tape unside all ghetto like and swing them, i'll try it out later and TY