Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jin Smylez

Intro to DJing

24 posts in this topic

I plan on getting into DJing very soon. Until now, I've messed around with VDJ and a POS american audio mixer setup.

Long story short, I decided I want CD players. :/ I want to be able to DJ at house parties/small events. I like the benefit of not needing a compter, as I do not have a laptop, and CD's are quite easy to burn.

I found the Gemini CDMP-6000. Its quite cheap compared to most CD players, only about 400 dollars.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or reviews on this product, as I haven't found but maybe 3 online. It seems like a GREAT piece of equipment, but I want to be absolutely positive that I am happy with what I get. :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Links:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...sole?sku=809520

http://www.geminidj.com/cdm3600.html

I plan on getting into DJing very soon. Until now, I've messed around with VDJ and a POS american audio mixer setup.

Long story short, I decided I want CD players. :/ I want to be able to DJ at house parties/small events. I like the benefit of not needing a compter, as I do not have a laptop, and CD's are quite easy to burn.

I found the Gemini CDMP-6000. Its quite cheap compared to most CD players, only about 400 dollars.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or reviews on this product, as I haven't found but maybe 3 online. It seems like a GREAT piece of equipment, but I want to be absolutely positive that I am happy with what I get. :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Links:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...sole?sku=809520

http://www.geminidj.com/cdm3600.html

But everything's going in the direction of digital...it just makes more sense to carry around a laptop instead of 128093721098734032974397 binders of CDs.

But everything's going in the direction of digital...it just makes more sense to carry around a laptop instead of 128093721098734032974397 binders of CDs.

Thats very true, but as it is my very first piece of equipment, I'm still not sure if its something I want to get into. The most I would be doing is playing at a friends house party. I would most likely burn a few CD's of what I thought I would want to play and only bring like 20 max.

If I got more into DJing and doing actual events THEN I would get digital and a laptop.

Thats very true, but as it is my very first piece of equipment, I'm still not sure if its something I want to get into. The most I would be doing is playing at a friends house party. I would most likely burn a few CD's of what I thought I would want to play and only bring like 20 max.

If I got more into DJing and doing actual events THEN I would get digital and a laptop.

If it's something you're not sure of doing, then just play around on your friend's equipment.

This way you're not spending a dime, and you can see whether or not it's for you.

I remember when I first started, the BIGGEST piece of advice I was given was to go big or don't go at all when it comes to equipment. In other words, always try to get the industry standard (when I started it was Technics 1200 series, but I ended up using friends as I couldn't afford them - Mind you these were vinyl turntables, not CD decks). I think it's a pretty safe bet to say Pioneer's are the industry standard when it comes to CDJ. If you don't, you'll find yourself upgrading a shit ton of times and you end up spending more money than you planned on.

Gemini's standards suck in my opinion. I tend to avoid them and Numark all together.

CDs will fall out of the DJing industry before vinyl, definitely go digital.

I would go for a console personally. For the price, the amount of skill they can teach you is positively worth it (especially ones in the 400$ price range).

Then once you decide if its for you, and if you want to take it further then just a hobby, you can move on to a full channel mixer and CDJs.

Of course you do have the con of other DJs laughing at you, since consoles are considered "unworthy" in professional circles, but screw them, as long as you rape on it - you rape on it. And if you suck on decks, you still suck, so why does it matter? :)

Something I've heard from a lot of people:

If you can dj on shitty equipment, you can use almost anything else no problem.

Midi controllers aren't bad. They basically do the same thing a cdj does(although they are different from turntables.) Everything uses the same sets of skills though. Beatmatching, mixing, blah blah blah.

If you're gonna buy equipment be prepared to spend a lot of money. A friend of mine got a real good discount on his shit, but still spent almost a couple thousand dollars.

Try to find someone else who has stuff you can use.

I would go for a console personally. For the price, the amount of skill they can teach you is positively worth it (especially ones in the 400$ price range).

Then once you decide if its for you, and if you want to take it further then just a hobby, you can move on to a full channel mixer and CDJs.

Concur!

Of course you do have the con of other DJs laughing at you, since consoles are considered "unworthy" in professional circles, but screw them, as long as you rape on it - you rape on it. And if you suck on decks, you still suck, so why does it matter? :)

+1

in all honesty

mot on here will porb say im really anti digital

but even im considering it now.

everything is going digital

and it is becoming a bitch to constantly burn cds

go with a laptop with torq

and get yourself some cdj 800s

i know it may be expensive but in the long run you wont regret it.

my friend had the gemini decks your looking at and he hated them and got rid of them within two months.

i learned on vinyl and went to CDJ

but yea.

honestly i serioulsy recommend getting Torq and a pair of CDJs

its expensive but worth it.

but then again thats only if your serious about it

well since everyone is saying digital digital digital.

Would anyone recommend the M-Audio Xponent? It looks freakin sick, its got everything I would need to start and more, and I know Madraverrai had one.

I would most likely use VDJ since I already know that program.

im with joe on this one, alot of people will say get the 800 mk2's, but save yourself money and but the 800s used, make sure they work tho, i got one for 300 bucks on ebay and working on a second one now. the difference between the mk1 and mk2's is that it plays mp3 cd's like it doesnt go by song lenght, but MB's so you can fit more songs on a cdj, but thats not worth it in the long run honestly, its eaiser to have just one track per CD. someone will say "well thats a waste of CD's". it is....but it makes shit eaiser.

its all in preference, i know djs that still spin vinyl. Me I choose cds, i started with serato its a good program but I just grew with cdjs.

i would say if money isnt an issue for you get pioneer cdj 400s and a pioneer 400 mixer

if you cant afford the cdj 400s

numark axis 9 is fairly cheap compared to pioneer and its what im soon to be getting because im tired of the crap set i got at home >,<

well since everyone is saying digital digital digital.

Would anyone recommend the M-Audio Xponent? It looks freakin sick, its got everything I would need to start and more, and I know Madraverrai had one.

I would most likely use VDJ since I already know that program.

I recommend the Xponent. I wish I never sold mine.

I recommend the Xponent. I wish I never sold mine.

I went to guitar center and the guy was saying he though the Hercules RMX was better, like the jog wheels are more accurate. I was thinking about that one since its only 349 instead of 599 with the Xponent.

P.S. I wanted my 1000th post to be epic but whatever.

im with joe on this one, alot of people will say get the 800 mk2's, but save yourself money and but the 800s used, make sure they work tho, i got one for 300 bucks on ebay and working on a second one now. the difference between the mk1 and mk2's is that it plays mp3 cd's like it doesnt go by song lenght, but MB's so you can fit more songs on a cdj, but thats not worth it in the long run honestly, its eaiser to have just one track per CD. someone will say "well thats a waste of CD's". it is....but it makes shit eaiser.

never mind that anyways

i have the mk2s

and i dont use mp3 cds

i dont do 1 track per cd i fill it with as much length as possible

but anyways mp3 is pointless it takes to long to load up and what not for my taste. and when it comes to fast fowarding the song.

honestly i say go cdjs with a decent mixer and then if you have a good pc get torq or something.

its the best way to go in my opinion.

your learning on actual physical equiptment so oyu can perform at clubs if you make it big

you will be taken serious and wont be looked down upon.

and most of all...spinning on cdjs or any such thing like vinyl is so much more fun i think.

like i just feel you can get so much more into it when your using actual equiptment. you feel your mix more.

but by all means other wise yea.

the xponent or vestax controllers are amazing.

and instead of VDJ id recommend Traktor.

taken more serious i think. plus over all better formance to me.

yea dude I really dont give a shit what people think of my gear.

If I spin bad on a little hercules controller, or I spin bad on a pair of 2000's, whats the difference?

Besides If I get anywhere with it'll I'll definitely upgrade. I was thinking about either the vestax VCI-300 for an upgrade later or that bad ass Numark NS7. I messed with the NS7 at guitar center a few days ago and I absolutely loved it. Only reason I am thinking aboutthe VCI-300 as well is because its more compact, cheaper, and has a huge reputation.

Thanks for everyones input though :) Glad the DJ forums actually have a few people checking in.

I went to guitar center and the guy was saying he though the Hercules RMX was better, like the jog wheels are more accurate. I was thinking about that one since its only 349 instead of 599 with the Xponent.

P.S. I wanted my 1000th post to be epic but whatever.

This post is for my baby girl MUAH :D

I don't think the Xponent was 599...isn' it like ~$500?

The RMX is cheaper, but doesn't come with good software, so you would have to sink 100 to upgrade anyway. VDJ basic is lame.

I don't think the Xponent was 599...isn' it like ~$500?

The RMX is cheaper, but doesn't come with good software, so you would have to sink 100 to upgrade anyway. VDJ basic is lame.

I know that guitar center and zzsounds have a price match thing and some people have been able to get it for around 400 dollars but I dont trust shipping with such a large purchase, I want to go to a retailer and have the box in my hand while my card is being scanned, but thats just me.

I currently have VDJ v5 installed which is nice, and with the tiny xp I have with serato's programs I like those alot (Serato itch).

IM GOIN F*CKIN CRAZY THERE ARE TOO MANY CHOICES. :P

dude i am having the same problem i really want to get into DJing but there are so many options and this stuff is so expensive. i think i'm going with the xponent b/c the vci-300 doesnt do any effects and its way more expensive. i was looking at the vci-300 because the software that came with it that serato itch. but idk i still have a little while to think while i accumulate more funds.

Currently started using Ableton Live 8 for Djing and producing. I'm using my djm 800 mixer as a midi controller. It's a really great program and very easy to midi map.

Currently started using Ableton Live 8 for Djing and producing. I'm using my djm 800 mixer as a midi controller. It's a really great program and very easy to midi map.

Ableton is fucking awesome. =)

you're right, there are way too many choices and mixed opinions about a lot of it...i was looking at the gemini cdm 3600, thought i would be able to hook it up to vdj or something, but idk now tho

you're right, there are way too many choices and mixed opinions about a lot of it...i was looking at the gemini cdm 3600, thought i would be able to hook it up to vdj or something, but idk now tho

yaya DONTTTT get it lol the "seamless looping" is all but seamless. there is a mad gap in between loops and stuff. I know when mixing trance and such looping beats is nice. I dont recommend it.