Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Destro

Experianceed DJ's! I need your help

17 posts in this topic

HEy eveyone I have been getting into Djing for along time now and now i have money to get me my set up but im not to sure what to look for or if its even worth buying here is the one i have my eye ball on http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-CD-DJ-I...104-i1470750.gc I only have about 300$ to spend so i thought this would be good. Tell me what you thinnk and if it would be good for a begginer DJ. Thanks for the help!!! :tunes:

What type of software are you running? (Or want to run?)

Generally the DJ in a Box things are sorta subpar, I would recommend a MIDI Controller to start off on and then work your way up. That was the advice I was given.

I wouldnt get that, i have the mixer shown there, but ive read some reviews on some of the numark cdj's and heard they break easy. save up and get pioneers. even the cdj 400's are good for startin out, you can upgrade in the long run

Rage- Im not sure on what software im going to be useing but i herd Virtual Dj is a good one to start off with and i have been playing with that and im sort of likeing it.

Rorok-Hhmm I will read up on sort of stuff like that with the cdj's do you have any recomendations on what sort of brand that what would be good for just mixing tracks?

Just remember that you need to budget for software as well. If you buy a Midi controller, most times it will come with software you can run.

I like torq more than vdj, but right now im using dss dj because you can program a basic keybord to controls.

I think your first problem is only having 300 bucks to buy a set of CDJs and a mixer. I just would wait a few more months and get another 300 and get a midi mixer of decent quality, rather than trying to get 1/2 ass cdjs and a fail mixer.

I've used this

M Audio Torq Xponent $499

and this model is also good to start with

Hercules RMX $349

djconsolermx_carac1.jpg

I started djing with the shittiest dual rack mount cd players and a shitty Beringer 3 channel mixer. Learned beat matching then moved onto Hercules DJ Console MK2. I've used Torq, Traktor, Ableton, and Virtual DJ. I've been using Virtual DJ for about 3 years consistently in and out of clubs. It is the most stable program out there from my experience. I'm now using CDJ 1000 mk3s and a DJM 800 mixer connected via Torq Connectiv USB sound card to my laptop and I run Virtual DJ version 5. I'm waiting till 6 gets its problems sorted out before I upgrade.

I suggest starting out with Virtual DJ and branching out to use other software. You should learn beat matching manually as well. It helps a great deal.

http://topdjgear.com/nuartamp3cdp.html

Look into those CD players. They are a good price for a turntable, and I beleive Numark gear is perfect for beginners.

I suggest staying away from the "DJ in a box" deals, as they tend to sell products that break fast. When It comes to DJ Gear, you get what you pay for. My entire setup (2 turntables, 1 mixer, 1 pair of headphones) was about 700 bucks, and its still a basic setup.

I think it depends on what your goals are. If you just want to be a bedroom DJ for a hobby and make mixes here and there to share with your friends then all you really need is good software and maybe a second soundcard so you can cue with your headphones. But if you are more serious then save up and buy the best mixer and CDJ's you can afford.

Back in the day I saved up $900 bucks and bought a pair of 1200's. I was only getting paid every 4 weeks at the time so they just sat in my room and all I could do was just stare at them. I had to wait another 4 weeks until I had enough money for a mixer, some needles and a few records. I don't think just because something isn't expensive, that makes it good for a beginner to learn on. You can learn to spin with good quality equipment and you won't have to worry about replacing them. I've had my tables and mixer for over 7 years now and they still work great.

Im will being doing just mixing tracks i wont get into my own music till later down the road. Also i dont have a laptop either i have a desk top would that works as well as a laptop would?? Im thinking it will i just have a huge ass tower :P

Im will being doing just mixing tracks i wont get into my own music till later down the road. Also i dont have a laptop either i have a desk top would that works as well as a laptop would?? Im thinking it will i just have a huge ass tower :P

Any computer is fine. When I first went digital I had a desktop too. Just make sure you have the proper specs to run what software you will be using.

I'm with rai on the Herculs console for starters. It's around your ballpark and you already have the desktop so you'd be set. Other than that, try it and if you like it go from their and invest more.

Alright i can do that im preatty sure. I will go and look and see if they have any down there

I've used this

M Audio Torq Xponent $499

Where can i find it for this price? Iv only bin able to find it for just over $700 online.

And is there any other equipment like this that are comparable in both price and functionality. Just from watching that little video on it, i want it as a starter piece.

Where can i find it for this price? Iv only bin able to find it for just over $700 online.

And is there any other equipment like this that are comparable in both price and functionality. Just from watching that little video on it, i want it as a starter piece.

Guitar center

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, THREAD LONG DEAD!

I'll pretty much repeat what everyone else has said:

• All-in-one kits are junk, no exceptions. Don't waste your money.
  • Save up for better gear rather than buy something useless for $300.
  • MIDI controllers + free/cheap software is actually a viable option these days. $300 can get you a Hercules RMX, which you could map to functions in Mixxx (free) or Torq (very cheap, especially used).

<!--quoteo(post=347001:date=Dec 15 2009, 07:44 AM:name=MadRaverRai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MadRaverRai @ Dec 15 2009, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've used this

M Audio Torq Xponent $499<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Screenshot and print this out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=cart&Q=add&sku=480420&is=REG&addedTroughType=LP+1\\Entry&q=1

2. Take to Guitar Center and have them price match it.

3. ???

4. Profit?

Hercules RMX @ Amazon for a mere $270.27:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CEOA6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PX8RWB6HS0HQWAQCG2X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846