Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jin Smylez

New ISOLATION Development

28 posts in this topic

has anything done isos while in the butter fly trace position around each separate elbow? (the opposite elbow)

Havent seen this, if I have I definitely missed it. That sounds really mind boggling lol.

I'm not starting a war. And I was unaware that people haven't been expanding the concept of isos to other areas of the body. This is why I was surprised when people responded to this as a "new" idea.

I'm simply startled by the fact it took this long for people to start doing this. Especially because since the emergence of isos and the ensuing debate, veteran freehanders and myself have been particularly critical about the lack of expansion. I was merely pointing out that i've been saying this is what needed to be done from the beginning, it was not a personal attack on iso-lovers.

Further more, I have said that isos have potential. But not until I start to see them integrated into complex freehanding techniques such as shadow traces and BTB tutts.

I don't do them. This is why I have not attempted this. And I will most likely never have a full iso routine.

In the effort to bridge this gap: atleast it is moving in the right direction.

Fair enough. I think part of the reason it took so long for another style of freehand to emerge is just because of the fast drop off rate with freehanders. I know Rai have said it before, that between the 1-2 year mark, people drop off from it. And it usually takes about that time to really understand and put together all the other established styles first, generally speaking. Add to that the popularity of gloves, and you have potential glowstickers being whisked away into gloving.

But now that the info is out, I think isos will start to pick up more. It's already started to get big here in Norcal, just about anyone who takes glowsticking even semi-seriously are using Isos. Myself, I'm not an iso-purist. I mix and match whatever I can if it looks good. I been struggling with isos all year and am finally at a point where I can do a decent routine, but haven't really come up with anything new on them. I'm excited with the lower body isos though. I been looking for other ways to perform leg traces, and this could be the inspiration I need to do something new.

As for BTB, I'm working on BTB antispins to accompany my btb grids and helis, and I know a couple of people who can already do this clean. I can tell you that people are expanding on it, it just needs more time for it to be further refined.

Ok wow i can't believe i missed this entire thread...

Ok so here it goes,

Isos i feel, can really expand a lot on ones freehanding style if incorporated right. I myself was on an isolation frenzy for a few months only because the concept was new and i wanted to learn and expand on it as much as i could and i still do to this day. Now with that said the expansion of isos to other body parts can, and has been done prior to Jins video. Myself and some other worked on moving them to lower body and found it to be possible but more difficult tokeep clean and transition from.

I started doing this with doing tracing isolations down my arms and even messed with them in a stomach trace. I didnt keep pursuing those ideas because visually they were more appealing in the upper body. True Isos are much easier to perform at shoulder level. I agree with spazz in that there was a lot of hype surrounding isos without a lot of progress. But much of that progress has been made just not captured on film. I personally havent filmed any lower body isos only because i think mine still look like ass and i dont want to show them off until im happy with the result.

Lately i have been trying to do out of the box thinking with my isos. For example i will go from an anit spin to a stick tut and maybe iso heli out to a regular heli and then start box gridding with each stick individually. I have also been trying to bring them out to the sides of my body and out in front of me more with string inspired movements of the sticks and try to make flower patterns, 8 patterns circles, and shit i havent even named or really care to name lol.

All in all i think given more time and dedicated practice and people actually incorporating isos into transistions rather than using them for the entire routine, it will greatly expand freehanding. Also not everyone will do them.. ie: spazzman just like i dont do a lot of liquid. each of our styles is unique and thats what i respect most about freehanding.

I personally want to watch someone else do something entirely different than me so i can get better i deas and not watch basically what i do all the time :)

now To Jin. props to you on putting out this vid im glad you did because it shows many people that you can take an iso anywhere.. just gotta take your time on it. :)

Jin actually asked me a while back if i was the first to do iso which i then explained "no" and went on to tell the story of how i had learned them. so the matter of who did what first is a mute point. i dont think any of us really hold it in that high of respect to gloat about who did what first then we just look like asses.

i personally love doing isos i try to put them in different points of my freehanding to open up new transitions into other moves etc etc yadda yadda....

ok im done rambling now. lol