Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyanide

What kind. .

6 posts in this topic

Of programs can i use to. .

*make my own music

*mix music

By make my own music i mean music

that sounds like

*deadmau5

*kaskade

*felix catel

and others that sound like them.

To produce your own music I highly recommend FL Studio. It's extremely user friendly and is great for beginners. You can download the demo here. The default sounds that come with it aren't very good so make sure to get new vst's (virtual instruments). You can get good free vst's and plug-ins at KVR. Also check out youtube for tutorials.

To mix music, as in to mix tracks together like a DJ does, there is a nice free program I found recently called Mixxx. You can get it here.

It all really depends on your budget and skill level.

First of all, why software? All the acts you mentioned are house producers, and house music has a deeply-ingrained culture of analog>digital. You might experiment with traditional synths, samplers, sequencers, and drum machines - the cost isn't all that high compared to equivalent software.

For starters, FL Studio is alright. Beware that its built-in samples are mostly junk. Search around for sample packs online (there are GBs' worth of free ones, just google around) and you'll be ahead of the game.

If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, etc.), I strongly recommend downloading BeatMaker and Noise.io. There's enough in those two to keep you busy for a lonnnnnng time. IMHO, they are worth purchasing a basic iPad or iPT just to have access to these two programs.

If you are serious and have at least a few hundred to throw around, Reason is the name of the game. Pick up a good USB/MIDI keyboard to go with it, and you're set.

Mixxx is an extremely basic program, but hey, you get what you pay for. You will definitely want to purchase a decent MIDI controller: using the mouse and keyboard is an exercise in frustration and futility. On a budget, try the Korg NanoKontrol series of MIDI devices.

Save up and get a Mac with Logic Pro. FL in my opinion is a joke, Reason if you like to actually have a visual of gear and if you know signal flow you can hook up some pretty rad combination's, but most people don't even know what signal flow is (not saying you don't), Reason just kinda reminds me of just a visual mind fuck. Logic is straight and simple and has TONS of sounds that are amazing, and you can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with it, yes its expensive, but if your serious about producing I would HIGHLY recommend it.

And Deadmau5 has walls of analog gear, that he has collected over the years thats why his sounds are so unique, and just absolutely great. Even though I'm not a huge fan, he does make sick beats.

D'oh, how could I ignore Logic?

Logic and Reason: you will need to lock yourself in your room for a week with just a MIDI controller, laptop, and the documentation, but you will emerge enlighened with the power to create some slick tracks. Reason even more so, as it's modeled after analog setups, which aren't as newb-friendly and intuitive as, say, FL.

Another major player to check out is Ableton. It's used both to create music and to DJ (e.g., Sasha).

Buy the Logic books and take the certification tests, thats what I did. You learn SO MUCH! Reason, I just am not a big fan of, well besides for its drum programming is sick as hell. (Redrum) But to really make some sick sounds with it you definitely need to know signal flow and more than an average joe about audio engineering, least I think so.

Or just get Logic and Pro Tools and end the argument. :-)