Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RGBLaserFan

Best Tool for Freehand

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering what the best tool is for freehanding, a stick style light such as flowlight or a key ring style light such as a microlight or inova.

I can imagine some slow moves might look better with stick style (I've seen a video where the guy moves them slowly around the back of his elbows / upper arms almost like Nungchucks - nice effect) whereas microlights are less obstructive and I'm guessing probably easier with faster moves due to lee chance of clashing.

What does everyone recommend and what are the pros and cons of each type of led ie stick vs microlight?

I dont understand what you meen by freehand, because the term freehand here is used only with glowsticks, and rarely with LED sticks and impossible with just leds.

Sorry probably my lack of understanding of the terminology.

By freehanding I mean glow sticking as opposed to glow stringing.

W ether it be led or glowsticks. I would say the best tools are a friend to take constructive critiques from.

And a good tool has always been a video camera or a mirror.

So you can see how you look and what you might want to improve.

to actually answer your question, chemical sticks are the best for balance and weight and shape. Some people are working on electric/rechargeable subs, but I have yet to see anyone succeed at this.

Glow sticks are kind of out on cost grounds. They're alright as one off's but the cost soon mounts up as you practice.

I've been looking at Flowsticks or maybe some Microlights / Innovas but wasn't sure which was better, the stick form of the Flowsticks or the Keyring form of the microlights.

Most people at events near me seem to all use Innovas / Microlights, hence the confusion as to what is best.

If you look at this video then at 1 minute 11 secs, then you can see what everyone around my area are using - this is a local event. (The laser is a 1 watt in case anyone was wondering - I have an interest in lasers and asked the VJ - US guys please feel free to drool at the audience scanning, I know the rules are a biatch over there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetlHZcSmf0&fmt=18

Perhaps now you can see my dilemma as a glowsticking newb. With no experience its hard to know whether to go keyring or led stick.

buying them online isn't expensive at all, and you don't always need to crack sticks when you practice.

and what the guy in the video was doing i believe is conjuring, but I don't freehand so I could be wrong

always practice with deads... and buy in bulk online they are cheap.

The wizard speaks the truf.

It really is a personal preference on the lights. I mainly use glow sticks anymore but I started learning with inova's. There is only so much you can do with an LED though and I found that actual glow sticking is more technical and you can bring your own style into it more. I won't lie though I find myself picking up some LED's every once in a while. The main thing that got me out of lights and into sticks is learning isolations. Just try them both and do what you like, pretty sure no matter what you choose you can always find some help here

buying them online isn't expensive at all, and you don't always need to crack sticks when you practice.

and what the guy in the video was doing i believe is conjuring, but I don't freehand so I could be wrong

yeah, that would be conjuring or some other led dance sort of thing, thats not freehand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMxJHhm3Rk

that would be freehand^^^^

i honestly think it depends on how you are freehanding. if you are giving a personal light show to 1-4 people, like in there face, not doing a lot of traces or tosses, thin i use 4 nova lights 2 connected by the key ring connector one of them comes with. holding them like falcon claw grip. but if you are just dancing and are going to be doing a lot more traces, tosses, isolation's, and so on, then i prefer chemical sticks, and on rare occasions flowtoys.

that is what i personally use.

Actually, I am using Flowsticks, and I have never turned back. Seriously, the light effects that it gives off with the different modes, are phenomenal.

I would only use Ultras ahead of Flowsticks.

I'm using flowlights as well for ability to use AAAs besides the brightness, color combos and effects. Tad more difficult, but worthy in a long run.

Actually, I am using Flowsticks, and I have never turned back. Seriously, the light effects that it gives off with the different modes, are phenomenal.

I would only use Ultras ahead of Flowsticks.

Ehh, I'm not too big on all the different color modes, the few times I've freehanded with them I have simply preferred them to be in their solid color mode. I wouldn't mind having a pair of them for at home, but I would be scared to take them to a party. I do a lot of different tosses and those things wouldn't hold very well on the drops. You can argue using the protective cases but then I feel like they get too bulky and awkward to trace or do hand stalls with. I prefer the look and feel of a regular glowstick more.

Frankly I wish some of these light companies would invest more with chemical based glows. I would love to see another version off that good ol' fashioned chemiluminescent glow. Maybe a special kind of glowstick that has a swirly pattern to its glow, giving the glow trails more texture. Just my 2 cents.

It really is a personal preference on the lights. I mainly use glow sticks anymore but I started learning with inova's. There is only so much you can do with an LED though and I found that actual glow sticking is more technical and you can bring your own style into it more. I won't lie though I find myself picking up some LED's every once in a while. The main thing that got me out of lights and into sticks is learning isolations. Just try them both and do what you like, pretty sure no matter what you choose you can always find some help here

This is very much like my story, only that the thing that got me off of the inovas were traces instead of isos. I think tracing with actual sticks look so much more magnificent and mesmerizing than regular LED's. Hence why my style is so trace based these days.

you are so limited to using anything other than glowsticks. can't do good traces with LED lights like photons, the balance is all wrong for flow lights, taps don't work as well, kicks neither.

freehand is and always will be using glowsticks or something that looks and feels a lot like it.

you can do some cool things with other stuff like photons but that would be its own cateogry.

Best tool for freehanding is easily ur ears. If u stick to the music u can't go wrong

Hmm actually I did feel initially using the protective casings were kinda awkward and bulky, but like freehanding, all it takes is getting used to and the muscle memory.

I can pretty much trace and do isos easily now even with the protective casings.

I am not sure about you, but I find doing throws and stalls also much easier with the rubber casings and it really adds more "balance" to it. The opaque casing also adds to the "glow" effect rather than straight off bright LEDs.

What I love most is the different modes which really add variety to lightshows as changing modes is easily done with a press of a button.

It really adds new dimensions to traces. The initial 20USD (for one stick) may come across as steep, but if you add all the costs of disposable glowsticks you use for practice, in the long run, flowlights are more cost effective.

I will try to put up a video of me with flowlights and you guys can judge for yourself then which you think is cooler.