Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tain

confusion on culture

15 posts in this topic

ok, so when I joined this site.. the stance from what I gathered was, no glowsticking battles or showing off.. we don't care about anything else..

now I am getting very mixed signals, but mainly what I am seeing is no glowsticking battles, but showing off is ok.

and then some people care about other things, dancing poi ect..

so what is the "official" stance on all of this stuff?

i know the no battling is a fact, the showing off part can be interpreted into different meanings... As i see, as long as the person who is supposedly "showing off" does not have that intention, then it is alright by my lines.

that's pretty much what is changing, it's now like yea you can go up in front of a crowd of people, or host an event ect.. as long as you are respectful to the culture.. I don't really understand how the two can be possible, it seems like by next year every thing is going to be ok, as long as you are respectful to the culture, or something along those lines..

it seems to depend on whose definition you take. I don't support college performances at all, never-did-never-will, but some seem to have no problem with it. either way, it's never been explicitly prohibited.

that's pretty much what is changing, it's now like yea you can go up in front of a crowd of people, or host an event ect.. as long as you are respectful to the culture.. I don't really understand how the two can be possible, it seems like by next year every thing is going to be ok, as long as you are respectful to the culture, or something along those lines..

Lemme ask you then. How do you think it should be.

In a perfect world. No one would get on a college stage or HS stage or talent show.

Stages at parties... I dunno. I don't have as big an issue with that cause at least it's the right venue. Others still don't like even that.

I think to many try to bend the rules as it is now to suit their own needs. What do you think?

But is it a single website to determine the outcome to an entire culture.

You have to start thinking outside the box.

Glowstickig seems to be what it is about.

Why is it not revolutiomary??????

Hunter,

The reason we are the main website for this art is BECAUSE all other sites have failed. All other sites have ENCOURAGED battling AND showing off, and each one has fallen flat on their face.

Showboating and stringing for "props, respect, etc." leads to inflated egos and we all know just how overblown the attitudes of the san antonio stringers are. Thus there is absolutely no need for battling.

As Ph0ton said in the "should there be battling" audio/video article, this community and culture is based on peace and love, battling is rooted from survival of the fittest and competition.

and when someone decides to say "hey look at me" or god forbid "yeah we battle eachother to get better" we tend to shun them and their mentality

think of ALL the crews and battlers that didn't know what to do with themselves after they were banned from GSC.

Albeit some went to alternative sites (those sites are now either gone or are a joke) they may have had local publicity, but it was short-lived nonetheless and they found something else to make themselves feel awesome in their own twisted minds.

Before i continue my rant, i highly suggest EVERYONE watch Ph0ton's article on battling Does battling belong in the glowstick culture

some recently have tried to convince me (of all people) that battlers are a necessity to the culture; sort of like, you need the darkness to see the light.

"Those over-bloated egotistical madmen are what drove us to become good"

Yes but that was their whole method of eliminating beginners and even some mid-term, long-term performers. To scare away those that were new or interested in the art and culture, a way to keep the mainstream obsessions out, but if anything this only encouraged those that chose to persevere to become bitter and agressive to fellow beginners and their elders (those they looked up to) Seems like i have typed all of this before in a different thread,

Betweeen Love and Fame

"Without crews and battlers to oppose GSC, GSC itself would look like one huge organization, isn't that technically a giant crew"

i personally believe after years of hearing that statement, that it is more of a fear of people as a whole, rather than for the sake of the art. Just like some will always question and fear the government and "suspect" that other methods are better or that the current government is heading down a bad road, GSC will always have nay-sayers, but most good things in the world always were resented at first, and all took VERY long times to be accepted. Honestly the arguement against that statement alone could continue forever, but that's because it is more rooted in mankind's fear period, rather than for the art.

"well we all battle in fun, there are never ill-intentions"

then dont call it a battle, dont call yourself a crew, calling yourself anything like that is trying to set yourself above everyone else, and that's exactly what the rave culture is trying to break down, that idea of seperation and isolation, and let everyone know we are all together and in some instances we are all one. Just because you and your friends personally don't take it personally, others might not feel that way. stringing fast in front of some might take that offensively if they have a slower style, or even pumping body-language can be recieved negatively.

for those that DID get through the "age of battlers" (02-06) congratulations guys we made it, but it does NOT mean we should continue the cycle, the same way some religions look back at their methods of teaching in the past and say, damn that was a BAD idea, battling should be looked at in the exact same manner, it was and always will be a BAD IDEA

Hunter,

The reason we are the main website for this art is BECAUSE all other sites have failed. All other sites have ENCOURAGED battling AND showing off, and each one has fallen flat on their face.

Showboating and stringing for "props, respect, etc." leads to inflated egos and we all know just how overblown the attitudes of the san antonio stringers are. Thus there is absolutely no need for battling.

As Ph0ton said in the "should there be battling" audio/video article, this community and culture is based on peace and love, battling is rooted from survival of the fittest and competition.

and when someone decides to say "hey look at me" or god forbid "yeah we battle eachother to get better" we tend to shun them and their mentality

think of ALL the crews and battlers that didn't know what to do with themselves after they were banned from GSC.

Albeit some went to alternative sites (those sites are now either gone or are a joke) they may have had local publicity, but it was short-lived nonetheless and they found something else to make themselves feel awesome in their own twisted minds.

Amen.

i still wonder why the whole lets make a crew and battle each other.. .stood towards the Stringers more than the Freehanders..

i believe they dont suffer as much as we do.

Amen.

i still wonder why the whole lets make a crew and battle each other.. .stood towards the Stringers more than the Freehanders..

i believe they dont suffer as much as we do.

IMO Juany, as much as I hate to say it, it's because stringing can be viewed as the more "aggressive" of the many dance styles that is general glowsticking. We who string are basically swinging a tethered projectile around our bodies, which I believe registers as a weapon in some portion of the mind.

Then you also have the people who's style of stringing often involves stringing VERY fast so that all you see is basically a blur. Again, a certain type of individual could view that as requiring a higher skill level then someone who's doing technical moves, or anything really, at a slower speed.

And then there's the whole "wow" factor. Lets say you get a freehander and a stringer, put them next to each other and ask a group of people who've never seen anyone glowstick in their lifes which one looks more impressive. What do you think the majority of those people will choose?

I dunno though. Perhaps all I just said is a bunch of bullshit and it just simply happens to be a coincidence that people that gravitate towards crews and battling also happen to be stringers more times then not.

i think the reason that you are getting mixed signals in regards to "showing off" is because that term in itself is subjective.

we can very clearly say, "don't glowstick at a high school talent show." because that's very black and white. you either do or you don't.

but when you say, you shouldn't "show off" then it's a bit ambiguous because now you need to deal with what constitutes as "show off." maybe even what degrees of showing off is acceptable/unacceptable, etc. everyone might even have different ideas of what "showing off" means.

so... the best advice i can give is that if you are new and uncertain about the culture, just come here and ask questions. describe the situation, and then i am sure a lot of veterans will be able to help you see what's good and no good. it might just have to be dealt with on a case by case level until you feel more familiar and comfortable about making your own judgment call. =)

hope that helps.

I think it's pretty easy to tell what glowstickers on this website are respected the most and which ones aren't. Look at the stickers that are well respected amongst the community and take a page out of their book.

That is all :D

Lemme ask you then. How do you think it should be.

In a perfect world. No one would get on a college stage or HS stage or talent show.

Stages at parties... I dunno. I don't have as big an issue with that cause at least it's the right venue. Others still don't like even that.

I think to many try to bend the rules as it is now to suit their own needs. What do you think?

my stance personally, is don't do anything that you aren't asked to do, or for people you don't know.

so don't always be saying hey guys look at this to your friends, and don't string infront of people you don't know unless they ask. "hey man, can you show me that glowstick thing you do?" not "hey man, I'm having a party, wanna come do that glowstick thing for me and my friends?"..

as far as battling, just no, you should never try and prove your better than anyone..

that is my stance..

it just seems to me as if the majority of the population doesn't agree with me, and I don't want to have the wrong impression of the views of this site.

Battling will always be a no. End of story. Unregulated competition of any kind is always a very BAD idea. And since there is no national/international standard of regulation of this new art form, competitions are a bad idea. Could you imagine the Olympics out on the street instead of being internationally regulated? Or breakdancing - oh wait, this happened, and lots of people got hurt very badly, and there is an unknown body count that's still rising due to things like "street credit" and whatnot. Breakdancing is now an acceptable form of art in many arenas in the dance world. Granted, it still has too much that goes unregulated on the streets leading to regrettable situations. But it has been incorporated into the art world.

Showing off... well, every time you do something new, and you're like "hey cool" and keep doing it again and again, even just by yourself, that's one version of showing off. Another is walking up to someone, whether or not you know them, and saying "oh look what I can do" whether or not you explain what the hell your doing. Every person must draw that line him or her self.

Now you bring up interesting questions in regards to showing off, and i really do agree with the people who say its really subjective. I mean the best example of this i can give is that when i go to a club or a rave of some design and glowstick, on a regular basis a circle forms around me, even though i'm a freehander, of people who want to watch. Now i did nothing more then do my thing in my own zen state to cause this. Now this could technically be considered showing off, but what really did i do be just stand and do my own freehand thing.

In relation to battling, no and never will it be allowed in any form, it by itself goes against 3 of the 4 principles most of us live by, Peace, Love, Unity, Respect. Battle by the merriam websters dictionary breaks 3 maybe 4 of those.

2 : a combat between two persons

3 : a general encounter between armies, ships of war, or aircraft

4 : an extended contest, struggle, or controversy <a battle of wits>