Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nightslayer7

Strengths and Weaknesses

6 posts in this topic

I had put this in the post below but I decided to make a seperate post....

(I'm bad at explaining myslef so bare with me :P) Correct me if i'm wrong... A good freehander incorporates alot of different things when he cracks his/her sticks: tracing, tosses, summoning, isos, etc. Now it seems that it would make more sense that i would want to work on my weaknesess, but if im already good at let's say, tosses and tracing, but i suck at summoning, would it make more sense to work at what im already good at? I mean everyone wants to be amazing at everything, but everyone has their own style. So would you want to take into account the moves you do most and are more comftorable with and work at that, that way u become a better freehander with what your already good at? Or should I be striving to be good at everything? Or am i just thinking way to hard about something so simple?

When you work on the things you are good at I would say that it's a self conscious effort to develop style and connect flow. That happens to most of us and more so when we have explored many things and decided on the things we like.

Yes technically it makes sense to work on your weaknesses, BUT those things may not be what you are developing your style into. If you think it fits your style then you work with it. Deciding what you work on and what you don't is kind of a natural process that begins to define your style as you want it to be.

I've been tracing and threading for months now lol.

I only started tosses (my weak point) recently because I wanted to.

Do what you want :)

But chow, being all around is another great option, in at which point you will probably want to work on your weaknesses.

Good luck though. Its tough working on the weak things.

When you work on the things you are good at I would say that it's a self conscious effort to develop style and connect flow. That happens to most of us and more so when we have explored many things and decided on the things we like.

Agreed. I tend to have more body movement with my sticking so I gravitate more towards threads, traces and some tosses.

However, that isn't to say that I'm going to close myself off from delving into isos, summoning, etc and think that there is anything wrong with them. I am going to explore more into what I like to see from my sticking and my style will, in turn, bloom from that.

Maybe this isn't so different from the case posed from the larger question of why someone goes into freehanding vs. stringing. For example, I'm a strictly a freehander. For me, stringing involves a different mental process that, while I can definitely appreciate, I cannot comprehend. Freehanding comes to me more naturally in extending my expressions in ways I could not do with stringing. Perhaps we face similar dilemmas when deciding which type of techniques to focus on in developing our styles.

Oh, and I'm writing this in the midst of a large foodcoma from a potluck we just had at work so I'm hoping that made sense... :P

I think whats most important first and foremost is your style, and what feels comfortable.

I used to think that I needed to get good at everything, but for example, I don't feel stuff like stalls and tosses incorporate well into my overall style, so I kinda stopped doing those, instead focusing on new ways to improve what I am good at.

I don't think you can ever be too good at dancing. You are constantly picking up new moves every time you dance.