Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InVaZn

I'm doing an experiment for school.

6 posts in this topic

A hypothetical experiment of course.

The experiment my group is going to try is the "Effect of Music on Driving".

We would conduct the experiment during a drivers test and while you are on your drives with an instructor.

However, there's one, humongous problem. Participant Bias. Participant bias is when the participant behaves differently because of what they believe the researcher wants. Therefore, seeing as how Informed Consent is one of the ethics of research, we couldn't simply just play music, and write down the results.

We would have to tell the drivers, to which they may be pressured, and not providing accurate results.

Can anyone help with this?

Also, another option would be to add that music affects driving even if you concentrate on driving perfectly. Which do you prefer?

We are concentrating on experimenting on new teen drivers. Of course, teens drive differently with adults than with their friends. This is why i need help trying to get through these variables.

Edit: Another possibility is to "create" a driving simulation in which all variables are controlled, and the sensitivity of the brakes, speed, and body movements would be recorded. This reduces the possibility of the researcher bias. The bad thing about it is that kids may not take it seriously.

Another damned edit: Now I realize how difficult it would be to conduct this. Seeing as how this assignment is due on Monday, i have no time to think of a new concept, i simply have to work with this. Other things that may affect this is the person monitoring the driver. Things such as speed is easy to measure. But what makes a reckless driver? I have down being distracted, fidgeting as being a bad driver. One person may think the driver is distracted while another person may think he is not.

I didn't want to edit my top post because i was going to delete most of it. Flecherd was still trying to answer so it would be rude for him to write an answer for nothing. I would still appreciate his response. Perhaps i could add it.

I solved the first problem.

The main problem here now is how can i measure how well someone drives?

Sorry about that, I was typing, and I got a phone call. But chow, for the second part, have a control group that doesn't have music playing, then compare and contrast the two results. Who went faster? Who seemed more distracted? etc...

Sorry about that, I was typing, and I got a phone call. But chow, for the second part, have a control group that doesn't have music playing, then compare and contrast the two results. Who went faster? Who seemed more distracted? etc...

I asked my teacher about this. Well. Actually i texted her daughter which then proceeded to ask her..but enough about that.

Our group already decided to have our experimental group as heavy death metal listeners, and our control group to be classical music listeners. Controls groups aren't usually supposed to have any independent variables in them, but the teacher said it was fine.

"Distracted" seems like a general term. I tried breaking it up into "not attentive, fidgeting, etc" but i realized those are some what opinion based. The definitions of attentive and fidgeting may vary from person to person.

What i need are things that are measurable. Just have to think numbers folks.

Also, can anyone provide characteristics of being a confident driver? I have things like, how often they check the rear view mirror (For being a good driver). I'm trying to think of how often a person does something that would project confidence, nervousness, and being distracted.

Well if you have the person using headphones, then you can do one thing that always throws drivers off, that will always let you know if they are a good driver or not.

First off, have them pull into a 7/11 or any place that sells drinks, tell them to park, get out, and get a drink, then come back. See if they check all their mirrors etc... After that, see how they drive and drink. If they only onyl take drinks at red lights, they are very concentrated drivers. If they drink whenever or never at all, they are probably distracted. (Completly distracted people would forget that drink is ever there.)

for my study i have to observe behaviour a lot.

in my observation i am not allowed to interprete anything and i have to write down actions.

like frowning or opening his mouth, instead of surprised etc.

that is what you could do, first get down the facts and then discribe your measures like so:

if i am observing someones aggressiveness i write down some agressive behaviours, like shouting, cussing, hitting, kicking, giving the finger, throwing items at a person.

so when i have concrete behaviours written down i determine how many of these behaviours have to be seen for someone to be aggressive. in this case i would call someone aggresive if 2 of these behaviours occur.

and then interprete the behaviour as aggressive.

this way you have a solid determination of what actually happened, what you predicted to happen or what your meaning of aggressive is and when you think someone is aggressive.

this way anybody reading the research can niglect your interpretation and get their own interpretation.

but the research is allways solid.

i hope i made sense i bit.

this way no one can say that is just your interpretation because they have the room to fill it in theirselves and the facts the real behaviours like, watching left in a turn, backing up without looking all 4 sides first, are written down exactly.