Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jglowzzz

journey to the beat

9 posts in this topic

hey everyone.

im a relatively new member, but i was wondering if anyone would be interested in kind of going through the years with me and mapping out what kind of music led to what through the years, and what type of ideas/cultures led to gsc. thats kind of vague, but let me explain.

i am an avid listener of jazz and soul. stevie wonder and louis armstrong are rated 5 stars on my ipod. and then there's funk (how can we forget george clinton and parliament?).

then, i switch over to more modern artists. (for lack of a better word, techno artists.) i love all of this music too, and im trying to notice similarities between the two (eras?).

long story short, i wanna start as far back in the years as possible, with members naming artists/people/genres that finally leads up to the artists/genres we all love on this site. essentially, find the different form of the beat in every decade.

thoughts/input?

thanks

-Jay

To be honest I think it would be hard to date a specific musical era/artist/influence to what basically made electronic music, because the influences are EVERYWHERE. My boyfriend and I will listen to Beethoven and Bach and gregorian chants, even stuff that far back has had an influence on our music. And now we have our music influencing modern music too (ever notice how much electronic music is in hiphop now?) It's everywhere. I honestly don't think I could think of one particular era that influenced the start of our music, I think it was many different types of music coming together and evolving, creating the music we love. Symphonies, disco, hip hop, classical, folk... every musical genre and musical era has had a part in creating electronic music. That's just my thoughts though :)

yeah, i get where you're coming from. thank you for replying

If you still plan on carrying this out, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Just drop me a message, kay?

Just remembered this site.

This may help you with probably the major influences and borrowings of music from one influence/era into another:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Probably will be the best resource for what you want to know :)

sry for such a late reply, this site is very cool and helpful tho. ty!

If you still plan on carrying this out, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Just drop me a message, kay?

thank you for taking an interest with me, sry for such a late reply. i dont have much time as of right now, got lots of tests to study for, but im still up for it. ty!