Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fatpark

Modding Flowlights?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about modifying flowtoys flowlight colors? Does anyone know about the specs of the bulbs needed to replace them?

i succesfully modded a couple flowlights, and they use standard 5mm leds.

the hardest part will be opening the flowlight, a razor blade and a a wedge will do the trick. and youll need a soldering iron.

actually yeah i have modded a pair

the best way i got the casing off was by accident

do a one-handed butterfly as fast as you can and look away

completely snapped off the bottom half of the casing

weird thing was the circuit inside was completely unharmed.

they even say on the flowlights website that we should feel free to modify the colors

so i set him up with

blue/yellow/purple

and

pink/green/purple

and yeah they use standard 5mm bulbs, i always get mine from "BestHongKong"

takes like two weeks to come in, but they have a massive selection

sadly not done with them completely, I told him to gut two glowsticks for me and i would modify them to fit inside and i would take care of the rest (make new external button, and magnets on the bottoms) but i think he got lazy and they're just sitting in his living room =(

actually yeah i have modded a pair

the best way i got the casing off was by accident

do a one-handed butterfly as fast as you can and look away

completely snapped off the bottom half of the casing

weird thing was the circuit inside was completely unharmed.

they even say on the flowlights website that we should feel free to modify the colors

so i set him up with

blue/yellow/purple

and

pink/green/purple

and yeah they use standard 5mm bulbs, i always get mine from "BestHongKong"

takes like two weeks to come in, but they have a massive selection

sadly not done with them completely, I told him to gut two glowsticks for me and i would modify them to fit inside and i would take care of the rest (make new external button, and magnets on the bottoms) but i think he got lazy and they're just sitting in his living room =(

Yea i remember you showed me a pair when he came here.

Those STickes were awsome.

With a Badass Flip Switch =p :unworthy:

well i tried that actually, held together for a little bit, but i would suggest epoxy, much stronger hold

Hello there!

I have 2 water II and 2 air flowlights (2 spinning 2 handle) and I'm thinking of attaching microlights to the end, i've tried it with an advertisement microlight key chain from batteryjunction.com and it looks pretty awesome!!!( it makes a dot 3 cm away the end of the flowlight)

I'm thinking of buying this 27 mode microlight:

http://www.livewireneon.com/spectrum-microlight.htm#hybrid2

some videos about it:

Or should i buy this and mod it at home(it doesn't have any hole to attach to a string):

http://orbitlightshow.com/27mode-microlight-p-258.html

video:

Btw i think i'll be able to upgrade my flowlight to a flowpoi trio with handles(+4 FL + a pair of trio tube) by the end of the year(Christmas). Should i go for that or i should build an inova glowstick and try out if i better like glowsticking before i spend $100+ again on a poi or should i already save money for the Hyperlights?

Anyone know anything about modifying flowtoys flowlight colors? Does anyone know about the specs of the bulbs needed to replace them?

here i sent an email to flowtoys about it and these are the specs

They are 5mm, 30 degree LEDs, though 10 deg works good as well. Changing out the LED colors doesn't require any resistor changes, because we have a constant current driver.

You can split the lights carefully with a pair of pliers and pry it open with a screwdriver.

Sean's peferred way: You can also put the flowlight on a hard durable surface with the seam facing up and hammer it along the seam on both sides. You could use an empty beer bottle or a metal pipe or similar round hard and heavy pobject. A hammer works but might mar the shell. Start with soft strikes, and increase force if needed. You should be able to split the seam without deforming the shell.

You can reseal the shell with thickened crazy glue, thickened cyanoacrylate or polycarbonate glues, but it has to be done really cleanly. You might also use small strips of clear tape to make rings around the shell to hold it together. The shell will never be as well-sealed as the original, because the original is ultrasonically welded.

lol yea they are haha

I wouldn't re-seal using glues simply to keep easy access in case you need to repair or want to mod it some more vs wearing down the casing by gluing and cracking it open several times. Also, I noticed that most common damage is loosening of the solder points on the LEDs, so when I repair/mod my Water 1s I'll try to coat the LED legs and that portion of the board with hot glue to see whether it'll help the poor things break falls.

I have a pair of water I's and i want to switch out the green LEDS for these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...v1015_specs.htm

Will these work?

If I am not mistaken, any 5MM Led should work if soldered correctly.

Although I haven't personally modified flowlights, I know others around here have. Maybe they can give you a better answer :P anyway, goodluck!

P.S Wouldn't be a bad idea to email Flowtoys as they build them, and I know they have encouraged modification of their lights.

thats a good idea! haahah for some reason I didn't think of emailing theT....I'll shoot them an email now

Edit: I emailed them and they said that they would work, so I placed my order and I should get the LEDs by next week or so

Hi again everyone! here's an update. I ordered the LEDs that i linked to above, and installed them today. They aren't as bright as the stock green lights, but on some modes the purple LEDs alternate between purple and red. Here's some pics!

20565133581864025013746.jpg

20565133581824024013746.jpg

20565133581832024213746.jpg

20565133581800023413746.jpg

20565133581772022713746.jpg

Gettin my water 1s replaced, so I don't think I'll be messing with custom color until they start cracking, but here's what I had before I sent them in:

Eventually I'll most likely do true waters with blue/aqua/green or blue/aqua/darker blue or something of that nature. I think shades of green for earth scheme would be interesting as well vs the mix flowtoys offer currently.

i succesfully modded a couple flowlights, and they use standard 5mm leds.

the hardest part will be opening the flowlight, a razor blade and a a wedge will do the trick. and youll need a soldering iron.

i did not know you could mod them

i have lots of videos of my custom flowtoys on my channel

sssslamin

Sorry to necropost all, but this seems like a good place to ask.

I'm trying to find purple LEDs for my flowlights that DON'T have the purple trail. Anyone know where I can get some? Thank a lot!

Sorry to necropost all, but this seems like a good place to ask.

I'm trying to find purple LEDs for my flowlights that DON'T have the purple trail. Anyone know where I can get some? Thank a lot!

1. WELCOME TO GS.C

2. dont apologize for necro threading

3. i have no idea my suggestion would be to order flow lights with purp lights in them already and then switch out the other colours, sparrow uses besthongkong... or used to which is online order if you dont have access to online stuff try surplus stores sometimes u can get lucky with those, also if u have a uni / college in ur area that has a tech program you could try there

best of luck dude

Thanks for the suggestions. Flowtoys sells replacement circuit boards if you contact them ($8 each). They found a few boards with purple, but not a lot and it was very expensive doing it that way, so I came here. It seems I should have looked a little harder, I found these:

http://www.madvapes.com/5mm-Violet-LED_p_2118.html

http://lightzombies.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3129

Mad Vapes responded to an email saying that they don't (not sure if they understood my question or not, but worth posting). The violet LEDs on LightZombies are specifically stated to not have red tracers, except one that is specifically said to have it, so that seems like the best idea. Hopefully this will help anyone looking for this in the future.

Hi future google searchers :)

Thanks for the help all!