Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DizzyxD

Freehand here i come!

16 posts in this topic

hi guys im a stringer, but my only pair of glowsticks broke (i use led sticks) so i am stuck with 2 glowsticks that i cant string with, and since i cant get my hands on new glowsticks for about 2 weeks i figured i would practice some freehanding to help my stringing out any suggestions on where to start??

edit: sorry for making a new topic i found a thread with a bunch of tutorials, but i still dont know where exactly i should start >.>

idunoo exactlyy wehr yew should start off buuut in my opinon yew should start w/ tha 8...itss easy and yew can learn new things frm there....

yah i already know how to do the 8, and i read its beter to practice without doing the 8 to work on flow and transitions... or am i just gettin way ahead of myself?

yah i already know how to do the 8, and i read its beter to practice without doing the 8 to work on flow and transitions... or am i just gettin way ahead of myself?

It is true that many freehanders would tell you that practicing without the figure 8 is better. It comes down to preference really. I started with the figure 8 and my style shows that. Others start with tracing and thus have a different flow. It's really all up to you.

Yeah the way im learning to freehand is trying not to figure 8 is more trying to be things like tossing,stalling,tutting and then tracing for liek transistions. I love freehanding because its a way of just expressing yourself so your style is a reflection of you and there are soooo many different ways of freehanding. So you just have to explore with moves. I would learn some basic freehanding things like tracing threading, heli and what not and then just turn some music on and go thats how I figured out the kind of style i liked. I just went for it and see what i liked doing the most. But goodluck finding your own style ^^

I've found that to improve my stringing while freehanding, it helps to do iso's.

It builds wrist flexability for those 9 beat weaves and such.

Stalls and tosses to I guess. Helps with hand eye coordination.

:)

well im learning some freehand to basicly help my stringing, because i want to be able to do link catch and go into freehand.. so i guess tracing is my best bet, thanks guys :)

well im learning some freehand to basicly help my stringing, because i want to be able to do link catch and go into freehand.. so i guess tracing is my best bet, thanks guys :)

learn some traces brother. helps alot when u need to transition

If you do handles you can go from handles to 4 sticking, tuts, isos, traces etc. !!! Welcome to the world of messing with people's minds.

:poo:

If you do handles you can go from handles to 4 sticking, tuts, isos, traces etc. !!! Welcome to the world of messing with people's minds.

Stick on my freind

Sorry if it's already been said, but try to learn some body traces and basic tosses. Then you can move on to bigger and better combos and moves. The more you learn in each aspect will help you in the other.

Personally, I still encourage new stickers to learn the 8. There are a couple of fig8 variations that you can build up on top of it and you can learn to combo build with it. Eventually you'll want to drop the 8 altogether once you learn enough traces and threads, but when you're just starting out and only know how to do a couple moves, it's nice to use the 8 as a filler move (something to do while you're thinking about your next move combo), and something to do that's off body. In conclusion: mess with it. You might even come up with something new for it.

Personally, I still encourage new stickers to learn the 8. There are a couple of fig8 variations that you can build up on top of it and you can learn to combo build with it. Eventually you'll want to drop the 8 altogether once you learn enough traces and threads, but when you're just starting out and only know how to do a couple moves, it's nice to use the 8 as a filler move (something to do while you're thinking about your next move combo), and something to do that's off body. In conclusion: mess with it. You might even come up with something new for it.

there really are quite a few variations of the 8 and everyone of them is just as useful to a freehander as any other move. when you start learning more you will use the basic moves more than you think but in very subtle ways... these become transitions and sometimes you are able to create entirely new moves from it :)

It is true that many freehanders would tell you that practicing without the figure 8 is better. It comes down to preference really. I started with the figure 8 and my style shows that. Others start with tracing and thus have a different flow. It's really all up to you.

This is true. I learned the figure 8 and i started to use it to much.

I found that when I was starting the figure 8 just made things too complicated. I started on other things cuz I was horrible at the 8 at first and I got too focused on just doing that and it messed with my style.