Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mindlesslogic

Do you think there should be a limit on the number collabs

How many open collaborations should be allowed  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a number

• 1 - only one vid at a time please
    • 2 - because i can multitask
    • 3 - because I'm feeling zesty
    • 4 - keep the quality and quantity
    • 5 - The new magic number
    • Unlimited - I luv vids
    • Other

23 posts in this topic

So, right now we have 9 active collaborations happening. I think this is far too many.

Why?

- People lose interest in collabs if they're a dime a dozen.

- You have alot of videos competing for a limited number of people...

- Resulting in short collabs with normal clip length or normal collabs with everyone having their own solo video

- Collabs take forever to fill

- By the time they're done people are sick of hearing about them

There should be a number of slots where when one collab is closed for submissions another may take its place. Private collabs are fine IMO, but there should be a select number of GSC posted ones

Also I think there should be an approval process of the video's subject.

I don't want to see collabs that are confusing or the requirements are unjust or overly strict.

Comments please.

maybe limit the release dates for the collabs

such as like one every two weeks or one a week

though there are many going on, it takes time for people to submit and such

I see your point, too many collabs will mean that some will fail because of others. To be honest, I did not really search for the number of active collabs when I started the ISC, so sorry for contributing to the collab spam.

As for the max number of collabs at a time, I have no idea to be honest.

As for approval, that would be a good idea.

Cheers

I don't mind shifting the Collab I am running to a later date. It is a collab focused on a pool of GSCers that may not be in any of the active collabs.

I say we have a limited amount going on, like maybe 3 or 4 or something, once the submission date has arrived, another may take its place.

Having this many at a time is only making each collab have like 4 or 5 submissions and therefore taking forEVER to finish.

:/ thats my 2 cents

I think the collabs are fine as long as they don't all get released at the same time.

What I think is really stupid that I've noticed is that collabs get put out, and their due date is 3 months. The people that submit all do it the week before...you could cut down on the amount of active collabs if the dates were shortened.

And yes there are too many, many of which I don't submit to :D

EDIT: Actually, I take back what I said. I think no collabs should be able to go on until the EDC 2009 Vid comes out in order to put more pressure on its release lol.

i think there are too many but they tend to com in cycles. like around halloween or so last year. there was that hige explosion of them most likely after this it will calm down and only have one or two in the works.

to sum it up. i dont think there should be a limit. this just happens becuase people get ideas for them and post. t just so happens that people tend to think about collabs when collabs are in the works. it will slow back down again after this huge rush.

Agrees with pretty much everyone above. I noticed that after i started up the SiN collab that all of a sudden there were tons of collabs available and i instantly worried about having a higher number of ppl who wouldn't follow through (than a collab normally would).

The reason why i gave SIN an entire summer to be open for submitting is so that ppl who may have already had plans to go into nature would be able to film without drastically changing their plans; also, so that people could make plans, that would normally require sum good effort and time to organize, with sum leniancy. My original expectations for SIN were for it to be another annual collab (that takes place every summer) so as to make the vid itself more epic every year; if anyone has problems with this, please discuss it with me, but i have high expectations for SiN.

ALSO, this is newly announced..... the "S" in "SiN" for this year is officially for "sticking" and not "stringing". It will not be this way every year unless submissions are low as they are now, but me and Lethality will be conjoining SiN and FiN to produce the "Sticking in Nature" collab. Further details have yet to be worked, but as of now, the plan is to edit freehanding in nature videos and stringing in nature videos together into one collab video. This will reduce the amount of collabs in the collab forum by 1 :P lol

I definitely agree that there should not be too many going at one time but i also agree with Danika as long as they are not released at the same time i believe it wouldn't be a problem.

Having alot of collabs up at one time should inspire others to actually pick up the sticks and get some footage, i think it does more good then harm to have alot to be able to submit to at one time.

I like how fin and sin merged. I was thinking of suggesting that just before I read it. Also, I would limit collabs. It have more value if say you had 2 collab per quarterly. You'd end up with more quality.IMO.

It should be unlimited, but I would like regulation on collabs...

For example punishment if organizers don't follow through with creating the collab within like a two week handle of what they said they would release it on. Or if the organizer just creates a thread claiming they will do such and such and never touches it again.

Also if the themes get ridiculous they should also be checked.

The only reason why people don't submit to a lot of them is:

• The Theme blocks people from submitting
  • People have never seen that editor in action and might not want their clip in a video they don't like
  • Poor organization and obviously uncommitted organizers
  • They're not promoted enough.
  • People who browse GSC often won't go into this forum looking to join a collab, since there is no forum specified to join one exactly, we kinda just made this the join collab forum.

honestly i want to see a push back towards solo videos, alot of the issues i see now is that

you are so very limited with a thirty second clip, which is great for collabs, but i prefer to get a real sense of the performers and see them go at it for a minute or longer (not saying i want to see the return of seven minute solos either)

as Brian said, alot of the organization skills and themes of them push me away from participating

and when a collab doesnt have a cap on participants we end up with 20 minute videos of over 30+ people, which shows incredible participation, but i really can't sit there for that long (sparrow = ADD?)

now on the plus side, having so many give a TON of options if there's one you don't like, but as some of you have said, the release times can sometimes be ridiculous and we must insist on not releasing footage of yourself that you have submitted to said collaboration. and something like that really does kill me, haha, thats how i end up not releasing footage for a super long time.... like now lol

I personally think collabs are stupid still which is why I don't submit to them unless I get forced into it most of the time.

In my opinion collabs are the reason why people don't make cool compilation videos anymore where they actually get together in real life to film something together. There's a serious lack in solo videos as well because people are getting fucking lazy with these internet collab things.

The less the better, I vote for one open at a time. The collab/meetup forum is a total mess now.

We're spreading ourselves thin. Keep the number reasonable, please (i.e. - no more than 3)

Just popping in with some things on my mind, the Sticking in Nature collab is coming along nicely; with about 10 featured stringers and freehanders, as well as some motivated editing and production, i expect you guys to feel a little more open to these waves of increased collaboration videos.

They can really test some people's willingness and passion to produce something worthwhile, cuz it does take quite a bit of effort to put together a decent-looking collab. These waves of excess collaboration interest, meaning that they come and go, offer ways for people to expand the extent of their passions; Mine are: being in nature, and glowsticking. and i know for a fact that i am not the only one; But i am aware that it is still a rare thing, we are scattered across the country, and i believe a great way for us to share that passion with each other is by making a badass compilation of sticking in nature clips.

But yeah, the more collabs out at a time, the more chances people will have to expand their relationship with the art of glowsticking. Its just kinda something that a lot of people will make haste to speak of, and then back out of, just because they realize that its going to take more dedication than they are willing to give. Its like a specialized-interest activity, or "extracurricular" thing. Some people will join, and drop out later after they realize its gonna be harder than they thought.

Instead of it being a completely open thing, where people can post their ideas and start a whole gsc project on their own, i think the collaboration section, maybe even each individual collaboration, should have some sort of a screening test to show that the person wanting to submit to the collab forums is dedicated to organizing and producing it; like, have the submission or idea cycle through for staff approval first. Idk, i dont think this would be as bad of a problem if the collaboration section wasnt so open to new threads. I was actually surprised how easy it was for me to start my collab all on my own, and to then find out that people in staff dont like the increased number of collabs. I think thats the root of this problem, is the forum's organization. But sry to not be of any help for that, i dont know anything about webdesign.

What I think is really stupid that I've noticed is that collabs get put out, and their due date is 3 months. The people that submit all do it the week before...you could cut down on the amount of active collabs if the dates were shortened.

I see what you're saying, but I think a longer deadline gives people a good chance to work on and improve their routines before submitting a video. For me, videos and meetups are a big part of my motivation to practice and learn something new. I work and go to school, so deadlines and such help with my time management, and I'm less likely to just pick up sticks and practice at random because I'm always engaged in some project or another responsibility, so I don't really mind the long deadlines.

It should be unlimited, but I would like regulation on collabs...

For example punishment if organizers don't follow through with creating the collab within like a two week handle of what they said they would release it on. Or if the organizer just creates a thread claiming they will do such and such and never touches it again.

I agree. Although I wish we lived in a world where people honored their contracts or stuck to their word, not everybody does, and if there were something in writing on how to handle this matter before hand then I would find that to be fair.

IMO, I don't think the number of collabs should be regulated, for the pure fact that collaboration video is a great way for people to ineract on the forums coast to coast, you can be in a video with another glowsticker that you look up to without having to fly across the country to do so. On the other hand, having too many collabs out at the same time could be a problem, terf wars for example, and so I wouldn't mind there being a formal application process, and deadlines/debuts regulated and enforced by staff members. Honestly guys, the forums have been kind of dead lately, and perhaps a community-wide movement for collaboration videos wouldn't be such a bad thing. I know some of us feel like we should be putting out more solo vids, but we are a community, and I find a collaboration video to be a strong statement. "We are GSC, and this is what we do" not "I am blah and I go on his cool website sometimes".

With that said... I have some sticking to do... Laterrr

It is very easy, just go to the thread of the collab you want to join and leave a message there saying that you would like to enter.

Cheers