Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xlectik67

True High School Experience

69 posts in this topic

I think stringing is a hard thing in highschool. If you are not part of the social norm then you will get mad fun of. Highschool is a mean place and you shouldn't string in the middle of a park. Yeah it does really suck that it had to happen to you, but you also did things back to them.

I myself love to string outside, I do not like being inside and being outside gives me more room to do whatever. If you were going to string at the park you should go to a spot where not a lot of people are at. That way you would have not brought attenchen to yourself. If anyone sees two lights spinning around in the air they are going to want to see what is going on.

When I am at home, I like to go in my backyard and string. No one is going to bother me there and I can just enjoy stringing.

When I am at school, there is a little porch behind my dorm. The only way to get there is to walk around the building, it is quite odd that it is there but it is a nice spot to string. It is out of the way and pretty much no one ever goes back there.

When I am at school, there is a little porch behind my dorm. The only way to get there is to walk around the building, it is quite odd that it is there but it is a nice spot to string. It is out of the way and pretty much no one ever goes back there.

lol dude i have to use the bottome of a stair well XD its so jks

Ya, the situation definitely sucked. You, however, didn't help it by throwing insults back at them when clearly you were out-massed and outnumbered.

Now in my personal opinion, I think I know more than anyone just how stupid high schoolers can be. In middle school, I had just transfered from a private catholic school where I had been beaten up by my friends; I was ignored by pretty much everyone else. So really I just wanted attention and to have good friends. Unfortunately, I went about it the wrong way and became very annoying, a description that even carried with me somewhat through my first year or two in high school.

When I got to high school all I wanted was to fit in. I had played the Clarinet in middle school, but promptly gave it up when I got to HS (I just didn't want to play anymore). Of course, now that I wasn't a "bandie" I made fun of the band geeks and such. I had many groups of friends throughout HS, but was never close to any.

In my second year I met with people who played magic cards. I would play with them before school and sometimes at lunch. I was also friends with some soccer jocks (who were really nice for the most part), but I would, I guess, act kind of like I didn't know the geeks I hung out with.

More time passed, circles changed and came back, but I was still my geeky, dorky, anime-loving self. However, that did not stop me from trying to hide that and trying to fit it (wearing "mainstream" clothes and hanging with "more normal" people).

My senior year there was a few people in my home room and who ate lunch nearby where I ate at lunch who were huge nerds/anime-lovers. So much so that they would wear the Naruto headbands and stuff. I of course never hesitated to call them Naru-tards just like all the people around me because it made us laugh, even though at the end of the day I would go home and play WoW and watch Naruto and other anime. I feel pretty bad about doing this now and wish I had more self-confidence and courage in HS to really be who I was on the inside.

Now I am a Sophomore in college and am trying to find myself. I always knew who I was on the inside and now I'm letting that show. I'm also trying to find an appearance that suits myself since all through HS I tried to conform to that "preppy" look. HS is an immature place and you have to put up with people like me. Here at college I still get abuse from roommates and friends, but I know it's in all good fun. You just take it with a grain of salt and learn how to laugh at yourself. Being able to make fun of yourself is, in my opinion, one of the greatest skills you can ever learn.

Thanks for reading. I know it was long... I tend to do that... :X

Who the fuck plays Lacrosse? People like that always have to find a way to vent on someone else because they realize how insignificant they are in the world. I wouldn't worry too much. These are the kind of guys you'll see on Tool Academy or 6 feet under before they make it out of college.

all im gonna say about this is that we should be careful that we dont fall into the same trap as te guy on tool academy, if we generalize all ppl that play lacrosse ( canadas national sport) are all tools or ass holes or w.e then we would be doing the same thing we are trying to prevent with tool academy by when we say we hope we dont get assoaciated with that douche bag

thats all im going to say about that

all im gonna say about this is that we should be careful that we dont fall into the same trap as te guy on tool academy, if we generalize all ppl that play lacrosse ( canadas national sport) are all tools or ass holes or w.e then we would be doing the same thing we are trying to prevent with tool academy by when we say we hope we dont get assoaciated with that douche bag

thats all im going to say about that

Very good point. It's not the fact that the guys play Lacrosse, though. Those guys still beat the crap out of one of our members and they just happened to play on a Lacrosse team.

I feel there's no reason to be afraid to glowstick anywhere. If you're truly passionate about something you love to do, you shouldn't fear what the general public will think of you. This was a case of testorone-boosted jock ego. People are hardwired to belittle others when they're over their head in insecurities.

Just remember that what goes around comes around.

I really dont see why everyone cares so much what people think of them around here. I hear so much about "If you do it in high school you will be made fun of". Like, i dont see how that matters at all?

If i hadnt been being made fun of in high school I would have figured i was doing something wrong. and people still judge just as much after high school. THey are just better at keeping it to themselves and their group of friends.

Ah, that's hella harsh. >< Everyone loses their temper sometimes.

I too am in high school and I string alot there actually...

I'll walk home from school just doin' shotguns to work my hands a bit, and I do it at lunch alot... and alot of peple ask if they can try (which is kindof annoying sometimes actually >>... trying to PRACTICE here! <3) but I have gotten a few weird looks so hopefully that won't turn into something bad...

I'm sorry that happened to you and I feel like I should apolagize for this age group's utter immaturity. So lame. I'm sorry. And I love that you didn't let a bad experience stop you from stringing. Long live glowsticks! :)

Have you actually read this?

No, your area isn't different

This is what: "just string where/whenever you want" can lead too

This is directed to all the people who say: "why shouldn't you string in high school" and "just do whatever you want"

If you are still not willing to follow the rules, just leave.

Cheers

The story I am about to tell is real and it happened to me just a few months back during school.

A few months ago, I decided one day that I was gonna go string at my local park. It was after school and I was bored and I missed the bus so instead of walking five miles home I might as well make the best out of a bad situation and since I had my glowsticks with me (as i always do :P), I just wanted to chill and ease my usual school stress with some stringing by myself in the park.

When I arrived at the park I noticed the school Lacrosse team was down in the field practicing like they do everyday, and I was a little afraid to string near them so i thought if i kept a reasonable distance away from them they would mind their own business.....boy was I wrong.

Apparently the coach went on a "potty" break so the team was free for about 10 minutes, and what better to do than pick on some kid dressed in black playing with glowsticks on strings (I was referred as the "emo" kid back then unfortunately). It was getting darker so i decided to crack the sticks and start swinging a little with light, which of course attracts attention. I saw part of the team walking toward me and i thought they just wanted to watch and see what I was doing. I pretended not to notice and continue my stringing but behind me i heard them laughing. They were insulting me verbally calling me things like "glow fag" and said i was swinging glow dildos around, it was terrible. One of the kid's came up to me and asked me what the hell I was doing. I replied "Enjoying my favorite hobby: Glowsticking." He asked if I made any money doing it and i said "No way, this is a passion of mine and I tend to respect the culture of it."

Now if there are any high school students reading this, you most likely know that sexual jokes are kinda a big thing (They are? I've always ignored them or gone with them as a joke.) unfortunately and people use them all the time. This of course applies to me because the guy went back and started whispering to the other players that were near and they all started laughing while looking at me (you could obviously tell that he told the guys what I said but changed the words around to make it seem sexual). After a few seconds their verbal insults continued and It started making me mad and I flipped em the bird and shouted back sexual insults about their sport, (<----- heres your problem. should have just bitten your tongue :|)telling them wut to do with their lacrosse sticks and such......that really wasn't a good idea. Two of them charged at me and knocked me down and started beating me up. I couldn't really tell how long the fight lasted because I was in such shock of the knockdown, but I fought back as best I could but they were almost twice my size.

Just as I thought I was going to go unconscious I heard a voice screaming at them to get off of me. It was the coach coming back from his long bathroom break. He threatened to call the police and the kids ran off, not even returning to practice, but running somewhere far off. I thought the coach was going to help me but he must've assumed that we were messing around so he made no big deal out of it. When I felt strong enough to get up I ran like hell away from there as to not bring anymore attention. I waited for the cue bus and it arrived and took me home. The next day at school unfortunately I was laughed at and made fun of alot. Apparently the team told people what happened and obviously changed a few things about the story, and the story spread like wildfire.

Instead of being called emo, I'm now referred to as a glowstick fag.

THE END

**As I know this story doesnt relate to glowsticking inside school, it DOES however refer to the immaturity of some high school students and how closed minded they can be. If any high schoolers are reading this, please be careful where you glowstick and keep your love of glowsticking on the down-low until you get to at least college where students are more open minded and can handle a new skill maturely. I know not ALL high school kids are like this, but im just saying this so the same thing wont happen to you, it can happen, because it happened to me. Even though im now the "glow-fag" in school, my love for glowsticking and the culture still remains strong, and I'd go through a million beatdowns just to keep it. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sorry for being a dick but I don't really think the glowsticks were the main cause of this problem.

This thing sucks and all, but I think it majorly depends on the area/your HS norms. I'm pretty sure this could've gone well in my old HS, but sadly I no longer get to try that. Also, this brings up a good question for me- would regular poi(I know NO one would say jack if you were doing fire poi) be as frowned upon as glowsticks seem to be?

This thing sucks and all, but I think it majorly depends on the area/your HS norms. I'm pretty sure this could've gone well in my old HS, but sadly I no longer get to try that. Also, this brings up a good question for me- would regular poi(I know NO one would say jack if you were doing fire poi) be as frowned upon as glowsticks seem to be?

Our ideals pertain to glowsticking only, as poi is its own art form and this community focuses on glowsticking not poi. So no poi in high school and other crazy situations would not be frowned upon by us in the way that glowsticking is (unless it's poi done with glowsticks, which then makes it become glowsticking). BUT, you have to ask yourself the question, why are you in school? Is it to show off in front of a bunch of immature kids, or to learn and get an education?

sad story, it really sucks when people are like that, cant stand.

i feel the eyes on me when im practicing my helicopters sitting down in class, but i dont mind really im too busy jammn hard and helicoptering. idk why people do that,i mean people call us crazy for glowsticking, but the dances the mainstream people do are just ridiculous, they also have ridiculous names like the jerk, idk wat the rest are called, i stray as far away from that kind of stuff as i can.its all wigity wack

I have been in similar situations because the way I dress and my hair etc. as I stated in the main 30 page thread about why we shouldn't do this in school.

Because I wear skinny's and occasionally dye my hair and what not people find me expressing what I like a threat too them so they say vulgar things too me.

This can relate too stringing etc., perhaps they felt you were attracting attention away from them or something too. So the perceived you as a threat too there popularity.

Just keeping my mind open about the situation at hand.

Yeah that sounds like most typical high schools but I think it varies from what area your from too. But in the end high school ends and life goes on ^^.

Damn dude, people suck ass!

thats all there is to it! they were only jelous because you were enjoying urself! i hate bullies and gaybashers!!!! if i was you i would call up this kid ogspliff to handle it...lol... seriously man just distance urself from all that bs.. jocks=ignorance.. most of the time..being a former college lax player i never hung out with the team... my friends would come and cheer me and the team on on just for my teamates to yell some of the worse stuff you'll hear after the game!!! and this is in college!!! stay stoned and shirtless

Where the balls do you live? I live near Seattle, have glowstrung in the streets, and glowstrung for highschool kids many times...

Never had these problems. Well, once two (really ironic what they looked like, but lets not go into that) douches laughed. But really.

Anyways, I think it just depends on if you're willing to tell higher authority or not. But I can understand why in highschool you may not want to...