Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rolling

Building Combo

21 posts in this topic

Alright. I noticed that after we all can get down most of the basic and advance tricks (from figure 8 all the way till tosses and isos), freehnad comes down to your own style.(like ginseng has taichi style, adub fast and left to right movement). However my question is, how do you develop your own combos? Do you build it yourself or just incorporate people's signature moves and add stuff to it with transitions. I feel like everytime i do a combo, i always think that the combo is not original, like someone has done it before. and from my understanding after being here for a while, whenever we talk about combo, its always toss combo. Isnt there more to it than just toss combo?(like iso combo or tracing combo) Basically, yeah i just want to hear your opinion bout combos and how to build em.

Rolling

yeah its hard to be original with so many potential combos floating around. Try not to plan what move comes next and just let it happen (after training muscle memory of course). People are always inventing new moves and combos, sometimes quite by accident. So don't give up, just keep moving and even if you invent nothing new in no time your own unique style will emerge.

well its impossible to do something exactly the same way as someone else, you will naturally end up doing things a little different even if you set out to copy something exactly. that being said, looking at others is great for inspiration, but try to look at what you see and think how can i improve that, or what would make that fit better with my style. like could i add a heli to that toss or could i do that behind the back, etc. there is no reason to assume they got it perfect. this is a better strategy for learning and creating new moves and not combos though. combos should consist of moves you have down solid and are very comfortable with, as they require you to chain them, and missing a link in the chain will ruin the effect you are going for.

personally i seem to discover my combos more so than consciously plan them out. once you have been sticking long enough and have a broad enough repertoire you will naturally connect moves in the flow, the key is recognizing it when it happens and looks good. i used to tape my self every time i practiced just so i could watch it afterward even if i deleted it right away. especially for this type of thing the more footage you can get of your self the better. most of my "signature" moves have come from seeing myself do something on film and then re-learning it from the video so that i could repeat it. another way is just get audience feedback, this can be from friends when your sessioning or from random audience when your dancing at an event. when you get a good response make a mental note of what you just did, and play around with that later in practice. even ask people what you just did, to figure it out i do it all the time. i think this is a better strategy for learning combos as all the moves in the combos that evolve naturally this way will be ones you are already comfortable with and thus you will get it down faster and it will flow far better. then use the above to learn new moves and they will eventually work their way into your combos lion king style.

another thing to keep in mind is i have forgotten more combos than i ever do regularly. so i started keeping a little list with me and i will jot down a short description to remind me of the combo i just came up with. this is great to keep with you during practice.

well its impossible to do something exactly the same way as someone else, you will naturally end up doing things a little different even if you set out to copy something exactly. that being said, looking at others is great for inspiration, but try to look at what you see and think how can i improve that, or what would make that fit better with my style. like could i add a heli to that toss or could i do that behind the back, etc. there is no reason to assume they got it perfect. this is a better strategy for learning and creating new moves and not combos though. combos should consist of moves you have down solid and are very comfortable with, as they require you to chain them, and missing a link in the chain will ruin the effect you are going for.

personally i seem to discover my combos more so than consciously plan them out. once you have been sticking long enough and have a broad enough repertoire you will naturally connect moves in the flow, the key is recognizing it when it happens and looks good. i used to tape my self every time i practiced just so i could watch it afterward even if i deleted it right away. especially for this type of thing the more footage you can get of your self the better. most of my "signature" moves have come from seeing myself do something on film and then re-learning it from the video so that i could repeat it. another way is just get audience feedback, this can be from friends when your sessioning or from random audience when your dancing at an event. when you get a good response make a mental note of what you just did, and play around with that later in practice. even ask people what you just did, to figure it out i do it all the time. i think this is a better strategy for learning combos as all the moves in the combos that evolve naturally this way will be ones you are already comfortable with and thus you will get it down faster and it will flow far better. then use the above to learn new moves and they will eventually work their way into your combos lion king style.

another thing to keep in mind is i have forgotten more combos than i ever do regularly. so i started keeping a little list with me and i will jot down a short description to remind me of the combo i just came up with. this is great to keep with you during practice.

QFT

That is probably the best answer that could have been given for this :)

Great post man.

you build patterns in building combos. some moves always goes well with others. for example, when you helicopter a glowstick, kick it, tap it with your elbow, it will always go up and go back down. on the down you can always elbow pit catch, foot stall, elbow stall, (heck you can do any stall).

but that's not all. when the glowstick is still in its upward tragectary, and at the peak of where it's supposed to go down, you can always catch it before it goes down and then continue a combo from a higher plane.

there's lots of patterns like that you can memorize so that you can always put some variety into your moves.

Acluard well said mayng.

Dave same to you bro.

Building combos is hard because of the thought "am i coping someone" But like acluard said its impossible to copy someone exactly. so you will mos def end up twisting it and thinking "hey that was way cooler to me then X persons original." so you develop that and intergrate it to your style and build upon it to try and make the flow more natural.

Toss combos are talked about a lot mostly because tossing is an easy way to break basic flow but keep a naural flow going and it sets you up for your next chain of events. take x, y, z toss to stall on x, y, z area to thread x, y, z, hole. basic pattern to understand. in my opinion.

Style though is hard to explain cause its creative based. but if you just add your personality into your glowsticking you will always end up developing your style.

one of the ways i build up a combo0 esp when racticing i just stop and look at where the sticks are and think ok wat can i do, can i tut toss thread, trace, some sort of mind game. once you get the hang of thinking on the move you plan ahead so your doing a head trace and you already know your going to into a butterfly so you think from butterfly i can toss tut split the buttlerfly or idk.

if we al worried about coping another person, no one would do nething that has been done and we would all be one trick ponys.

its like that southpark episode about the simpsons " simpsons did it" yeah the figure 8 isnt like new but its rollings figure 8.

I just realize that I never finish a combo since i will never stop continuing a combo till i drop my stick..that's a bad habit. that's why i dont have a routine combo...

Try finding something for filler until you go into your next combo, like for myself i trace after i do almost all my combos.

It adds something at the end and gives me time to think of my next combo or move that i'd like to do. I donno how it'd be with others though but i hoppe that helps

I need to work on my combos this week.... i need something new, just been to busy this week to even stick :P

I just realize that I never finish a combo since i will never stop continuing a combo till i drop my stick..that's a bad habit. that's why i dont have a routine combo...

LOL, don't think about it too hard Rolling. Just let it come to you. Don't worry about what others have done in the past, just focus on your thing and build on that. Do what you like to do, eventually you will break from the mold.

I've been having some problems with building combo's myself. Are there any like standard beginner ones that are really easy to put together for those of us starting out?

I've been having some problems with building combo's myself. Are there any like standard beginner ones that are really easy to put together for those of us starting out?

Instead of thinking about moves. Think about transitions between moves, and where you are doing the moves.

This is a lot like what tkstick was saying. Just stop, look at your hands, and think about what you could do, or how you could get from one place on your body to another, while looking smooth. Then once you progress instead of thinking about looking smooth, you can just think, how can I get from point A to B, in a mind blowing way.

LOL, don't think about it too hard Rolling. Just let it come to you. Don't worry about what others have done in the past, just focus on your thing and build on that. Do what you like to do, eventually you will break from the mold.

Thats exactly what i did kept on doing what i usually did then one day....BOOM i came up with this nice combo figure8 > To toss/catch > Tutting > Trace

one thing i like to do is get my friends to call out random moves while i freehand and try to find ways to transfer into it from whatever move i am doing. it espically helps when i start getting repetitive.

I think the best way to do combos is to experiment, play with the flow of the music, your body and just try things you don't normally do.