Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RaverBebe

Sheppherd's Pie

8 posts in this topic

This recipe for Shepherd's Pie is perfect for beginners. I like to keep it simple. You can change it up and use real potatoes instead of instant and make your own gravy. It's basically a layer of seasoned, cooked, ground beef with gravy mixed in and mashed potatoes on top.

* 2 pounds of ground beef (give or take depending on how much meat you want)

* 1 package of brown gravy

* 2 boxes of instant mashed potatoes (traditional flavor works best)

* 1 package of frozen vegetables of your choice

You want to start off by cooking the vegetables.

While the vegetables are cooking, brown the meat and prepare the gravy. Mix the gravy into the browned meat and set aside.

Prepare the mashed potatoes

Spread the meat mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.

Now spread the veggies over top of the meat.

Next spread the mashed potatoes over that (I found that it works best to make one big pile in the middle and spread it outwards. Remember that the veggies are going to stick, so you don't want to mix it up).

Cut 1 tablespoon of butter into really tiny bits and dot the bits over the mashed potatoes. This will help to brown the top of the potatoes.

(You could sprinkle on some parmesan cheese or grated cheddar cheese on the top if you like.)

Bake the casserole in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Sometimes the gravy will bubble up through the potato topping which is just fine.

So, do the potatoes act as, like the crust of the shepard's pie?

Mhhh, sounds so good right now. What are some things you add to spice it up?

You can add any spices that you think might taste good to the meat mixture (salt, pepper, onion salt/powder, garlic salt/powder). You can also add onions to the meat mixture. Try different mashed potato flavors. Colin and I have used the cheddar ones before. Those were pretty good. You can also try it with pot roast, chicken, or mutton.

The traditional way is with mutton. The idea was that after a big Sunday dinner, you have mutton (or chicken, pot roast or ground beef if you would rather) left over as well as some sort of potato (mashed or boiled), gravy, and some sort of vegetable. So they made sheppherd's pie to use the leftovers.

Play around with it and post your sheppherd's pie results here!

Mmm, sounds good. Carrots and green peas with corn are my favorite add ins so far.