Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lunatickk23

Types of programs to make songs?

16 posts in this topic

I want to pick up djing and making my own songs but im not what kinda program to use to make my own songs all i have heard of is Fruity Loops and I will definitely be buying a dj set once i get a job.

Well first you should clarify... do you want to mix pre-recorded tracks on decks of some kind (or vitually) or do you want to create the actual beats and notes to make a new song? There's a huge difference between DJing and producing tracks.

I think he wants to do both.

This is something I would be interested in as well, so any tips on programs to use would be nice (in my case it would be having existing melodies and combining them with self-made stuff).

Yeah sorry if i didnt make it clear enough but yes I want to do both djing and producing tracks.

As far as song creation, it depends on how you want to go about it.

There are many different ways to create songs, some not even involving any sort of software.

I use Reason and Cubase for my composing, but it really depends on the type of song and how I want it to sound like. I may start off with the arrangement, or the score, then bring it to the software. Other times, I'll start right from the computer.

1 important thing when making music, past all the programs, the software, etc., don't ever limit yourself to just 1 type of approach to making songs.

I know I went off on a tangent, but yeah. =x

Like Luminous, I like Cubase and Reason for production but there are lots of options these days when it comes to creating tracks. I've used FL Studio a bit and really like the features in that software but the ability to expand on Cubase with VST instruments, Re-wire that brings Reason into cubase as a track (or tracks) and the ability to lay down digital recorded tracks of your own makes Cubase a clear winner for me. I would recommend looking into some music production forums, maybe pick up an industry magazine or two and start doing a little bit of research. Then try out a few programs, play around with them and get comfortable and figure out what you like.

I'm not much into the DJing world, so I'll leave it to one of our resident DJs to help you out there.

Alright thanks i know i havent responded in alittle while but i will try out cubase and see how it worrks out for me.

Hey man... just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've written a fair number of songs using Reason alone. Doing remixes... WAY easy using Ableton (though I suggest 7 if you can find a copy... 8 is really weird).

IMO, if you want a nice jumping off point, I honestly suggest grabbing a copy of Reason, a midi keyboard (you can skip that if you don't know how to play keyboard for now), and some good speakers or headphones (speakers are better... but headphones will do)... and go to town. There's a really good board I frequent to get lots of producing questions answered. Some guys are actual audio engineers handing out... pretty much free advice. It's the same site I learned to master my music on.

If you want the link, message me.

In any case, I also suggest Fruity Loops. I personally was terrible with it... but some people swear like hell by it. Sure, the Debbie Downers will say FL sucks... but I've heard some pretty cool songs made using it (see Deadmau5). Most producers switch over to Logic or Pro-Tools because that's what their engineers use so they can make them sound better. But, really, go with what works.

My current set up: Reason, Ableton, Sonar (on occasion) with the Waves L3 Maximizer (for one-stop mastering, lol!)

Sweet thanks for the advice and i will look for Reason and ableton and will message you about the link.

yes i doo want to get a mac but no mula at the moment lol

well it depends on how much you're willing to invest and if you're willing to make it all the way then start thinking about getting a mac, turn tables and your mad expensive equipment =o

i am very sure that i want to do this im minoring in electronic djing when i transfer to UC Santa Cruz cause i found out they have a minor in that so that will bepretty fun.

fl studio 9 is very user friendly and quick to learn on, it is what i started with and still use. alot of people dog on fruity loops but in my opinion its honestly very versatile because you can load different vsts, synths and programs. simply put you can rewire a program like reason into fl to use all the synths that reason has.

one thing you do have to learn though with fl studio (not as much with other programs) is how to make your sounds sound nice, but its a very exciting and fun learning curve!

Well I will give you my standpoint of this. I am very fluent in the use of Pro Tools 8 and Logic Pro 9 and Reason.

Reason is pretty cool, it makes everything "look" cool, and if you know your signal flow (most don't) you can make some AMAZING sounds from Reason, I really love Reason's sequencing abilities and then you can just re-wire it into Pro Tools. Personally my favorite is Logic, most people don't know shit about Logic, there is a TON of stuff that is out of the way that you actually have to know what your doing to access. I would say Logic takes the cake for just about everything, sequencing, recording, producing, even mixing.

Personally I use Pro Tools to record, and mix....Other than that Pro Tools is not my choice, but I have to know it for my career choice. Logic can do all that plus some, some say Logics sound bank is kinda cheesy, but they give you the songs to make into your own, tweak them, make them sound the way you want them. Iunno I got pretty far off on this, but I am an audio engineer and I will answer any questions you may have about audio things.