Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomesk

Star trek

16 posts in this topic

SO last night i went out and saw star trek with my cousin. He used to watch it when he was younger and told me to give it a try watching it, so i did. I dont know what is it about space that always has had me interested in it but the way things look like stars and stuffs its always been one of my favorite things. So back to the movie, has anybody else seen it? In my opinion the movie was freaking good. The effects were great, the characters were good actors and the story telling was great, it captivated me right from the start. Have you guys seen it? if so, what is your opinion?

The movie was fucking amazing. I didn't watch the original series, and I've only seen like 1 or 2 original movies, but i totally forgot about it.

My dad was a huge Star Trek fan and loved this movie too. My friend told me they referenced a lot from the old series and movies, which is good. So if i was a huge fan of Star Trek, seeing those references would make me happy..

I researched the old series after watching the movie, and they pretty much got all the characters down and their personalities, which is awesome..

great movie, i think i might watch it again..and on top of that, probably go check out the a few episodes on the original star trek, and the movies.

Oh yeah, this would look amazing on blu-ray..woo cant wait for it

One of the best movies of the year, hands down. It' explains the background of Captain Kirk (Wlliam Shatner in the original Star Trek) and how his crew came together. It has a very interesting storyline with evolving and involving characters. Also, even short time Trek fans, like myself for all of about one summer a few years back, catch the references. You get to meet all of the character that really do match up with the original cast. I recommend it to everyone who is a Sci Fi fan and who has ever watched ANY Star Trek movies/shows.

That movie converted me. I used to be so anti Star Trek and now...well...lol. The only gripe i had about the movie was the flair in almost every scene. You would think the movie came down from heaven or something. Other than that...amazing movie. If you haven't watched it on IMAX...do it.

Oh yeah, this would look amazing on blu-ray..woo cant wait for it

That's exactly what i was thinking, cannot wait for the blue-ray release

I recommend it to everyone who is a Sci Fi fan and who has ever watched ANY Star Trek movies/shows.

yes they should, it is so much worth the money.

I used to be so anti Star Trek and now...well...lol.

I was like that too, when someone would mention star trek i'd go "ehhh" but after i saw it it just changed my view on it completely.

Star Trek was positively wonderful, nice plot, didn't see the Spock and Ohura pairing though. One of my favorite things though is that the way they set it up it looks like we're going to be getting our own series of Star Trek! w00t!

My rating : 5 out of 5 stars :spoiler:

My review: From the POV of an Old School Trekkie :smilewinkgrin:

Writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, - who wrote the 2007 blockbuster 'Transformers' and this year's 'Transformers ROTF', along with Director JJ Abrams - TV's "Lost", have pulled off the near impossible: breathing new life into, and giving a fresh take on the classic sci-fi franchise envisioned by Gene Roddenberry, over 40 years ago, whom I believe would be happy with the outcome, as much as I was, even though it takes place in an alternate timeline - but the same STAR TREK universe we are all familiar with, including myself, so all in all, I was totally surprised and happy with the new direction this series is heading in-

The actors portraying the original characters are mostly spot on, with the exception of Chris Pine, who plays the young/brash/hot headed James T Kirk, who in my opinion, did'nt sell it for me, until near the end, where he actually is honored the rank of Captain of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 -

Zachary Quinto - Sylar from HEROS - pulls off the young science officer and second in command, Mr Spock - near perfect- trying to find balance between his human emotional side, and his Vulcan logical side-

Karl Urban from Lord Of the Rings 2 and 3, the Enterprise's Chief Medical officer Doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy, who meets Kirk aboard the shuttle on the way to Starfleet Academy , nailed it perfectly, and not going over the top, was easily my favorite character in the movie- he was funny as well, giving Kirk a shot every few minutes to counteract the previous shot - guess James is allergic to everything :huh:

Simon Pegg from Sean of the Dead was very funny as the ship's Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott -

"'Scotty, we need more power to the engines!!"

"Aye Capt'in, I'm givin' 'er all she's got!!"

The new design of the Enterprise is pretty cool, reminiscent of the ship from Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

The visual effects were amazing, the musical score brilliant, and the classic sound effects were impossible to miss :)

I would like to see the Old Star Trek redone with these characters. Also, I was expecting this to follow Picard, not Kirk, so that was a real let down for me.

MINOR SPOILERS: BUT A COOL FACT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THAT I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT!!

The one thing that makes this movie so awesome is that, in the way the movie was made, it was made so that people who havent seen star trek at all, can get into it because you really dont have to know anything about the original series and anything else after that.

But at the same time, a part of it was also made to satisfy the oldschool fans of Star Trek.

This Star Trek film is actually kind of a sequel in a way. Because if you are a Star Trek fan, and if you remember, you are actually also following the journey of Spock. In a interview i read, the plot of this movie is actually spawned based on events that happened in the Star Trek: Next Generation series, season 5 in an episode called Unification (I think this is it)...

So this film is actually a canon to the whole Star Trek universe. Meaning that, the plot and events that happened are actually spawned from the Universe of the original series, and after the events of the Unification episodes.

When they went back in time, it altered the timeline, thus creating new events of the universe. So this allows the movie to reboot for new fans, as well as the old fans. ( Think like in Back to the Future, when Biff stole the delorean, and changed the past..creating an alternate timeline..same thing)

Its kind of confusing but it makes sense because i had no idea its considered a sequel until my friend told me, and why..it was a bit hard to understand at first..but after doing some research and reading interviews, i finally began to see it as a sequel..

So yeah, don't think of this movie as a prequel, because its not, and Abhrams said its not. He said its not a true prequel, because if it was..then it would lead up to the events of the original series..but since the timelime is altered..its not a true prequel..

This is a totally cool fact to know about

i wont bore you with my review. ill just say i liked it a lot =] so much that when i had to pee i did not leave the theatre. lol umm yeah and larky and i had a very dorky day. today we watched fanboys and star trek =] w00t

Saw It, Liked it a lot. Was never bored, the movie just kept moving and trucking. And to the nonbelievers.

2irasz8.jpg

Saw It, Liked it a lot. Was never bored, the movie just kept moving and trucking. And to the nonbelievers.

2irasz8.jpg

LOL @ ^

Very subtle :)

Yeah this movie rocked - saw it again this past Saturday

And it has been confirmed by Paramount Pictures that there

will be 3 more movies with all current cast members onboard!!