Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sazken

Is this a good idea or am I a retard?

91 posts in this topic

Sup, fellow glowstickers. I come to you with a matter of relatively pressing importance.

Basically, our school has something of a halloween dance on the friday before actual Halloween. Normally, these dances suck anus. What some kids and I were thinking of doing is spicing up the party a bit by (who didn't see this coming) glowsticking. This may or may not be a good idea. We were thinking of coercing the DJ into playing Sandstorm (yes, I know it sucks, but everybody knows it) and then having 15 or so people create a circle around us (by "us", I mean the group of people who are going to do the actual sticking, myself included.). At this point, all 5 of us with crack our sticks and immediately begin to go crazy. Halfway through the song, 2-4 people will break off from the group, allowing the remaining people (who are going to be the ones most skilled at glowstringing/sticking) to crack some ultras and do some damage. In doing this, I wish to spread the art of glowsticking around my boring, mundane, school while getting performance experience and the same time.

Now, I ask of you, GS.C, should I do this or not?

By the way, please don't flame.

Thanks.

if u pull this off, u got some cajones.

At my school,

glowsticks=ravers= bad connotation

Sup, fellow glowstickers. I come to you with a matter of relatively pressing importance.

Basically, our school has something of a halloween dance on the friday before actual Halloween. Normally, these dances suck anus. What some kids and I were thinking of doing is spicing up the party a bit by (who didn't see this coming) glowsticking. This may or may not be a good idea. We were thinking of coercing the DJ into playing Sandstorm (yes, I know it sucks, but everybody knows it) and then having 15 or so people create a circle around us (by "us", I mean the group of people who are going to do the actual sticking, myself included.). At this point, all 5 of us with crack our sticks and immediately begin to go crazy. Halfway through the song, 2-4 people will break off from the group, allowing the remaining people (who are going to be the ones most skilled at glowstringing/sticking) to crack some ultras and do some damage. In doing this, I wish to spread the art of glowsticking around my boring, mundane, school while getting performance experience and the same time.

Thanks.

I strongly don't recommend this. The reason that I, along with many members(and I am actually hoping all members), don't condone this is because high school really isn't the environment for glowsticking. There is actually a certain maturity level that is required, not much mind you, but enough to acknowledge and understand that there are certain actions which are detrimental to the culture. Glowsticking in high school is one of them.

The reason why is simply this. In high school, you have the mentality(usually) of wanting to do things in order to become accepted, or even elevated status wise (being popular). Now lets say that you started glowsticking because it looks cool (which I will admit is usually one of the top reasons why people start), but you also started learning about the culture. That's all fine and dandy. Then though, out of your enthusiastic love for the art, you decide to take this style of dance and show it off at your high school. You will notice that you have just gained some popularity, if not for the simple fact that you are one of the few people that is doing this. So far so good, right? Well, keep in mind that just like you are noticing you are gaining some popularity, others are to. They want to become popular themselfs. Except they start learning only the moves, with no afterthought to the culture. I mean, they are only doing it to show off, right? They start becoming popular. Pretty soon, alot more people are glowsticking, so it begins to loose it's novelty. So what happens? Some people drop it, while others get the idea to prove themselfs the best. They begin competing, battling, which in and of itself is a contradiction of what glowsticking is (an art form which is embodied through dance. As we know, art cannot be competed on, as each artist has their own individual style. It is subjective. What might seem great to one person could be crap to another). People start insulting each other as a way to further prove their dominance over the other's glowsticking abilities. People stop communicating with other glowstickers who aren't a part of their little clique, for fear that someone else might "steal their moves" and use them to prove they are better then that person. In short, the unity of the glowsticking community begins to unravel. If it's bad enough, this type of mindset would spread to other areas, not just your town. Within a couple of years, unless we who know better continue to educate, we could be left with a bastardized shell of a culture. If one is lucky, then the scene would simply die out in one area for a certain period of time as members of those "crews" get tired of glowsticking.

Don't think it can't happen? Take a look at the Tekno Turtles. Most, if not all, of the members of that "famous" crew have stopped. Take a look at BBoying before and after it's bastardization at the hands of becoming popular thanks to certain media outlets such as MTV.

And this is just my summerization of what can happen. If you want to read more into it, check out this and this article (I mentioned the two articles because they do have the tendency to become interconnected).

Also, this is not taking into account the popular culture views and associations with glowsticking and the rave culture. This is not taking into account that often times glowsticking is directly related to the rave culture, which in and of itself is even more quickly associated with rampant drug usage.

Think about it, and it will make sense.

(FYI, I do not mean for this post to sound as a flame. If it came across as that, my apologies.)

if u pull this off, u got some cajones.

At my school,

glowsticks=ravers= bad connotation

Well, the cajones I have. I have a rep as "that one kid who has all the weird talents". I have absolutely no problem with that, even to the point where I embrace my offbeat interests. As for spreading the art? I see where you're coming from. Yet, there was an article about poi and fire spinning in the LA times, like, yesterday. I am doing this not to spread the art as much as I am doing it to send waves of change throughout my school. People at my school can be awesome, and I have found a friend in most everybody. Yet still, my school sucks. Why? My school IS the OC. It may not be remotely near the OC, but it freaking IS the OC. As in, the show. You know what I mean, right? Anyway, I feel that this is my duty, my calling, if you will: to facilitate change. This is just a small start, right here, at my highschool. Nothing too big, but a start.

Edit: Oh, and, one more thing. What music do you suggest I use? I was thinking Sandstorm, as I mentioned earlier, but I'm worried it's a tad corny. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't exactly say you're spreading the art in this way. I didn't click the link cuz there's already too much goin on on my desktop atm, but I'm more than likely guessing it's the article on glowsticking in schools. definitely consult that, but I'd really say use your best judgment. it's not the most positive way to spread the art, as NOODLES said, it's somewhat frowned upon in schools given it's negative connotations, which is why we frown upon it being done in school.

The problem that lies within this is how do you truly get to "spread the art", or moreso rather what you want to spread is the philosophy behind it, in a setting such as a school dance, talent show, etc.? Basically a setting that's not feasible for really lecturing others on any given topic if that's not what the event entails/allows for.

The short story of it, it's harder to spread the philosophy when dealing with a massive crowd not prepared to listen.

Keep that in mind, read the article, hope you make the right decision.

Damn, guess I type too slow, LOL.

P. Martian has the right idea as well. take heed.

Well, see, as a stringer, I have faith. This is a hard concept to wrap your mind around, but my school isn't quite the norm. It's a school for the gifted. As such, there is a lot of social stigma. People don't know about raves AT ALL; I asked 14 or so people if they knew about glowsticking, and all of them said no. I explained the art to them - same answer. I kind of hate raves in general - why? Drugs suck. Period. PLUR is rad, though.

Oh, and, if I were to glowstick, people would come to me to learn, just like that. I would form a club, and educate my peers about the culture as well as the art. In this manner, there is no real margin for error. Glowsticking, at, say, a stereotypical highschool would ruin me. Yet here, there are way too many differing variables for any of us to make an honest judgement.

For clarification, this is just a thought. Halloween's in 2 months. Yup.

Oh, hey, SeVeN, thanks for the linkcatch orbit tutorial. That shit works. It's funny - I literally JUST learned how to orbit. Anyway, keep rocking.

Well, see, as a stringer, I have faith. This is a hard concept to wrap your mind around, but my school isn't quite the norm. It's a school for the gifted. As such, there is a lot of social stigma. People don't know about raves AT ALL; I asked 14 or so people if they knew about glowsticking, and all of them said no. I explained the art to them - same answer. I kind of hate raves in general - why? Drugs suck. Period. PLUR is rad, though.

Oh, and, if I were to glowstick, people would come to me to learn, just like that. I would form a club, and educate my peers about the culture as well as the art. In this manner, there is no real margin for error. Glowsticking, at, say, a stereotypical highschool would ruin me. Yet here, there are way too many differing variables for any of us to make an honest judgement.

For clarification, this is just a thought. Halloween's in 2 months. Yup.

Oh, hey, SeVeN, thanks for the linkcatch orbit tutorial. That shit works. It's funny - I literally JUST learned how to orbit. Anyway, keep rocking.

Honestly, I've found from personal experience that it doesn't matter the type of high school one is in (gifted or regular, private or public), the attitudes tend to remain similar. Really, the only changes are the overall IQ levels. This has nothing to do with the school itself, but rather with teenage mentality ( I know that is sterotypical, but keep this in mind. I'm 22 yet I remain open minded enough to be friends with people from all ages ranging from 16/17 to people in their fourties). During one's teenage years, one is trying to both discover one's self and gain a sense of individuality, but at the same time gain acceptence (even if it's on a subconscious level.), as those years tend to be confusing years which one usually does not want to go through alone. Humans are social animals, and teenagers even more so. Case in point, the "nerd" or "loner", often trying to find atleast one other person they could relate to, even though they could dispise the rest of their peers.

By the by, please, PLEASE do not assume that raves are just about the drugs. I don't assume to know if you've ever been to one, but just like you are asking us to keep an open mind, we are asking you to do the same thing. You might not like raves because of their connotation with drugs, but do not assume that's the only reason for a rave and that everyone there is messed up.

Please, correct me if I am wrong in assuming that's what you are doing. If I am, then I apologize in advance.

be careful what you wish for, for every person that finds a true interest you'll have several that will judge you.

Or how about just not do it and embarrass yourself.

Obviously though, we can't physically stop you from glowsticking at school dances. I hope you make the right decision.

lol, no problem, glad to have helped somebody out. :P

Just don't do it man. It's easy to come up with excuses of why it's okay in this situation, but it's not. We don't need the art spread this way. I glowstuck at a school dance back in highschool and nobody understood; it was really bad idea. just wait for a rave.

As the owner of the site, I say again, don't fucking do it.

Who cares if you are gifted? I don't care. I went to a gifted school. Gifted doesn't mean wise. Gifted doesn't mean you don't have the same motive to "fit in". That arguments absolutely holds NO away at all with me and the very fact you would use it speaks volumes about your lack of maturity.

I went to school in the OC. I know what it's like, and the OC has to be one of the worser place to try to be non-conformist. Are you one of those kids at the spectrum or the block with emo hair spending your parents money making fun of people less cooler or less intelligent than you are? I'm not flaming. It's a genuine question.

And by the way, there are tons of "intelligent" and "gifted" people on this site. don't use that argument again. it's just asinine. the word asinine is a cliche word that denotes stupidity, but the usage of the word asinine is in itself asinine since it's abused so much. that's what your argument is like. it's immature. if you really were that brilliant, you would already have used your massive reading speed to read through the articles, to have used the search feature about this particular topic. You really ought to OPEN THE LINK (http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/index.php?itemid=95&catid=4) instead of continuing on with your childish prattle.

Halfway through the song, 2-4 people will break off from the group, allowing the remaining people (who are going to be the ones most skilled at glowstringing/sticking) to crack some ultras and do some damage.

Sounds like an in-your-face battler to me. Yeah, do some damage. How? Jeez.

I kind of hate raves in general - why? Drugs suck. Period. PLUR is rad, though.

that shows how much tolerance and PLUR you have. You speak the words, but you have no idea what they mean. Why would anyone entrust you, a certifiable conformist, a kid who is going to ask the DJ to play motherfuckin' SANDSTORM out of all songs, a high school kid without any kind of knowledge in what raves are about, with the heavy handed responsiblity of promoting our culture? Yeah it's corny. And the whole idea is corny. Fight the system eh? You are just cementing the system. You are within the system so much you think you are outside. That's what the admin of your school want you to think. You REALLy think they give you all the freedom because you are probably in some kind of math and science/performing arts/medical/humanity/gifted/magnet program? Hell no.

so I say again, just don't do it. it's your first post like this, so I'm going to let you slide. But Mr Noodles gets his first warning.

btw, your posts after people told you what was up is what merited this rather harsh and to the point reply.

why make a thread asking about it if ur not even gonna read what anyone is saying ??

id rather just not know stuff like that is happening

As the owner of the site, I say again, don't fucking do it.

lol that should answer everyones question on this lol... ^_^

i'd do it.. because when i was your age.. I couldn't go to clubs or parties.. I couldn't go to raves..

Plus.. if you do it.. a lot of people might get intruiged by this concept of dance.

I know GS.C is anti-school dance blah blah blah. but if it's the only place you can go. do it.

hey, did you ignore like the last few years that this question has been asked? no school dances, no high school anything really. Only place you can go, to damn bad, be a bedroom glowsticker, that might actully teach you how to do it without any positive input, short of vids that YOU make. It will teach the value of learning something the hard fucking way and without cheating or encouragement. I think there needs to be more discouragement over all about glowsticking, make the people that stick with it sure that they really do like sticking for its own sake. or maybe im just a bitter old man and i just want all you kids off my lawn.

i'd do it.. because when i was your age.. I couldn't go to clubs or parties.. I couldn't go to raves..

Plus.. if you do it.. a lot of people might get intruiged by this concept of dance.

I know GS.C is anti-school dance blah blah blah. but if it's the only place you can go. do it.

uhh he can always have another place to do it... he can do it at home.... he can do it at a different party... there is never only one place where u can stick...

if you really dont have a place to do it, go to your friends house or something, or just YOUR house. turn up music, have friends just party there. do you really need to show your ass off infront of eveyrone at school?

and dont even get started about spreading the culture. READ THE ARTICLES than reply.

don't glowstick at school, it's meaningless... I'd go w/ what melvenorc said... glowstick w/ friends who shares the common interest, the art of glowsticking, at home or at a friend's house...

ricerider- suspended for 2 days.

next time will be a ban for 7 days.

after that time will be a deletion.

oh, if you want your money back in exchange for permanant deletion i can do that. i don't care who the fuck you are and normally most places would say FUCK you to a refund, but I'm saying FUCK you to you and your money. you can't just say whatever the fuck you want. i don't care how drunk you are. your posts are now worthless to me. mostly you just post about your life and other fucked up people, and that's fine, but don't post the same shit in an important topic like this.

Guest Child.ISH

"Respect:

this may mean respect for others, their ideas, their music, & their lives. "

"PLUR and gs.c, ideals for veterans and newbies alike :)"

I don't totally agree with Ricerider but I can see where he is coming from, ideally only the people with that certain level of maturity you guys are always talking about would be the only people that you'd pick up in the school, but that isn't the case.

But, while it's true that there are other places that he could stick, you can't really stop him if he wants to, you can do all in your power but I think Ricerider is simply saying that if you belive in it that much, that you should be sticking at school then we can do all we can to convince him but, he ultimately decides whether he is going to do it or not, we cant physcially stop him. It would probalby attract the wrong attention, too...Rice was only stating his opinion in the matter =\ and that should be respected whether or not it's agreed with.

Why do only the good glowstickers get to crack ultras? I hope its cause you guys dont have enough to go around?

Nobody knows about raves from your school? So why would they wanna be educated by someone who hates raves?

People from my school dont hate glowstickers either, everyone knows i glowstick and go to raves, and im pretty much friends with everyone from my school, doesnt mean i go to the school dance and glowstick there. Hell i dont even go to them, im pretty sure they pumped sandstorm at the last dance aswell, darn i missed out =/

But hey i can see where you're coming from, even though the music will suck at the school dance, and you'll end up sticking to rnb music, you're gonna get some "omggg thats so coool!!" and you'll be the talk of the town the next day! =D

/end sarcasm

Sure sounds like you got into glowstringing for the wrong reasons =/

"Respect:

this may mean respect for others, their ideas, their music, & their lives. "

"PLUR and gs.c, ideals for veterans and newbies alike :)"

I don't totally agree with Ricerider but I can see where he is coming from, ideally only the people with that certain level of maturity you guys are always talking about would be the only people that you'd pick up in the school, but that isn't the case.

But, while it's true that there are other places that he could stick, you can't really stop him if he wants to, you can do all in your power but I think Ricerider is simply saying that if you belive in it that much, that you should be sticking at school then we can do all we can to convince him but, he ultimately decides whether he is going to do it or not, we cant physcially stop him. It would probalby attract the wrong attention, too...Rice was only stating his opinion in the matter =\ and that should be respected whether or not it's agreed with.

Um, sure we can't stop him. but we can remove his value to our community. together the experienced glowstickers, glowstringers-- those who have a lot of experience and make up our values, DEFINE the values. if you are outcasted by the pioneers, you can't get very far. because to get far, you need to collaborate with other people.

Sure, if you want to stick in school, go ahead. But don't come to GS.C and especially don't pretend and shit.

If ricerider said it in such a way, sure it woudl have been fine. but he didn't. he said it in a totally immature way. and he didn't bother to read what people were saying. and threads like this is where the lines are drawn and where opinions have to be made.

it happened before, it will happen again. threads like this are routine to me.