Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleric

Why do people not use the media center?

51 posts in this topic

People provide the downloads in their own topics *shifftyeyesliranadraibecauseiusedtheirlinks*

lol, I have been using the download section on handles tutorials =X Thats about it....

For someone joining GSC though, it may be a bit hard to find the downloads section. Even though its like right there next to Calender and Arcade, I can attest to not ever looking at that O_O. Maybe you could find another way of linking to the Downloads section?

yeah i was not clear. enough in my original post on what i ment

So tell me why people don't upload their videos to the media center.

So tell me why people don't upload their videos to the media center.

to add- Instead of uploading it to youtube all the time. Youtube kills quality

Seriously, with the media center you can see how many people are downloading your video too. Much higher quality and it automagically creates the post for you when you submit.

All you have to do is find hosting, and we have a ton of members who are willing to help out with that. =D

is that the problem for people? the hosting? is it that your fucking lazy as shit? what?

I've said it before, i said it when I was brought on as staff last year, I've said it to you directly, to dave...

The site layout blows. The download section is almost hidden. The only way to find it is to come to the forums and then click the link at the top - you know the one that gets pretty much lost in the google ad along with the arcade link, the member search feature and all the other stuff that everyone pretty much ignores..... Then there's also the tutorial center off the front page as well as the video forums. There's too many places to put videos and the only one that is easily found is the forum which, coincidentally, is also the easiest to post a video in.

I agree that more videos should be posted in the media center, I personally prefer to be able to watch them at full screen in high quality, plus having a hard copy of them allows you to slow down a video to learn a move someones done.

Dave brought up once that we should be posting them more on youtube because it gets more traffic to gsc. He also suggested that if we want to have more stuff up for download on gsc that we only post a portion of the video on youtube and put a message in the video that says something along the lines of "if you want to see the rest of this video visit glowsticking.com"

I like that idea, but at the same time it can kill a video on youtube. My solution is to put a low quality version on youtube and a message saying "for a high quality downloadable version visit glowsticking.com"

And here's a thought...why can't we just combine the "downloads" section with the "videos/media" section? "Videos/Media" is a lot more noticeable than the downloads link, but there's really nothing in it but some links to old youtube videos. Yes it's got a link to the downloads section, but most people probably don't read far enough to see that link. Why not have the videos/media link just take people directly to the downloads center? We've got a youtube sub-forum for youtube videos so the videos/media section is practically pointless.

Or maybe it's as cleric says and people are just lazy...

good replies so far... anyone else? This is one of those times for people to just say what they think and be honest.

This is something I brought up in the past as well.

A lot of people here don't take advantage that a lot of the staff and other members are easily reachable. I personally have TONS of phone numbers and IM SN's...maybe its a communication thing when it comes to finding hosting...? YouTube is there and you don't need a third party, but I personally hate YouTube except for the ability to embed.

Honestly, I think people don't submit to the media center because:

1) they do not have a host

2) they are afraid to ask someone for hosting

3) they think they are not good enough

4) they feel that they are still unknown on the site, so it isn't time yet to put up a video

5) they think that yearly videos are better than their progression videos

6) they want to keep to themselves and leech off the site

ok.. so let me address the reasons redline posted for those that may think that way.

1) they do not have a host ----- Speak to me or melvenorc. We both have hosting. Keep in mind i'm generally not @ a computer. So he may be the quicker route.

2) they are afraid to ask someone for hosting --- Don't be. We are good people.

3) they think they are not good enough ---- Since when was it about how good you are?

4) they feel that they are still unknown on the site, so it isn't time yet to put up a video ---- What better way to get yourself known by other members then getting a video in the media center?

5) they think that yearly videos are better than their progression videos ---- This may be true but what people need to realize is that their video might help someone else understand a move better or inspire others.

6) they want to keep to themselves and leech off the site --- Get the fuck off the site. Don't be a leech. It's not cool.

I've said it before, i said it when I was brought on as staff last year, I've said it to you directly, to dave...

The site layout blows. The download section is almost hidden. The only way to find it is to come to the forums and then click the link at the top - you know the one that gets pretty much lost in the google ad along with the arcade link, the member search feature and all the other stuff that everyone pretty much ignores..... Then there's also the tutorial center off the front page as well as the video forums. There's too many places to put videos and the only one that is easily found is the forum which, coincidentally, is also the easiest to post a video in.

I do agree that it can be confusing to navigate the deeper parts of this site at times. That could be a big reason as to why. I myself will be using the media center from now on however, I feel that it can only help the site and community. Now that i know the site better and where/how to upload i will. :)

And here's a thought...why can't we just combine the "downloads" section with the "videos/media" section? "Videos/Media" is a lot more noticeable than the downloads link, but there's really nothing in it but some links to old youtube videos. Yes it's got a link to the downloads section, but most people probably don't read far enough to see that link. Why not have the videos/media link just take people directly to the downloads center? We've got a youtube sub-forum for youtube videos so the videos/media section is practically pointless.

I also like the idea of combining the two sections. That would make it much easier to be able to view, upload and navigate all the videos in one section.

Why dont you make a new video and be the first to start??

Thats right foolz.. Im calling U out!!

lol

If youtube ever kills the media center I will be very sad..

The media center confused me.

I wasn't really sure if I was downloading my video, and I wasn't sure of a lot of other things, so pisshow, I'd just have to learn more if I were to post something.

But I dont really have any videos as of yet, but I will soon, so all I need is time.

Why dont you make a new video and be the first to start??

Thats right foolz.. Im calling U out!!

lol

If youtube ever kills the media center I will be very sad..

well i just made a lame practice vid the other day and now have no sticks so im gonna call out CLERIC! That's right, I want to see Cleric post a glowsticking vid for us all to see. :)

Don't forget there are other people other than Cleric and Melvenorc that can host too...I don't want to give names because I don't want to volunteer them but I know there are a few more members that have volunteered in the past. They do exist...USE THE CONTACT INFO WE HAVE IN OUR PROFILES! Staff is here to help...I don't have hosting, but I'll find it for you!

so im gonna call out CLERIC! That's right, I want to see Cleric post a glowsticking vid for us all to see. :)

YEAH!!!

lol... soo fucked up.

Not from my personal standpoint.. but maybe some people feel they would get less views using the media center? I say this because in order to download a video, you must be a member and have a certain amount of posts. Not many people (non GSC members) want to deal with doing all of that. Sure, you could tell them to join and post, but in reality, not many people would be willing to do that just to see a video (speaking of the general public, not GSers.) Thus, not getting as many views.

Just a thought >.>

I really have no idea why it isn't used as much.

My next video is going straight to the media center no questions aked. Then maybe a week or so later, post it on youtube.

youtube made people lazy this is true cody...ange...delumiere..

Is the only way we are going to get more people to post videos by making it dumb stupid easy like youtube?

oh and my next video will be exclusive to supporters for mad long..then regular gsc...then eventually youtube. I'm not worried about internet fame and how many views i get.

youtube made people lazy this is true cody...ange...delumiere..

Is the only way we are going to get more people to post videos by making it dumb stupid easy like youtube?

oh and my next video will be exclusive to supporters for mad long..then regular gsc...then eventually youtube. I'm not worried about internet fame and how many views i get.

I don't think you need to dumb down the media center, we just need to start setting examples as a community by posting them there instead of going straight with youtube (Including me as well).

It's definately Youtube and wanting "internet fame".

This thread is making me not want to post on youtube anymore haha. At least not until the video is like a month old.