Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dz99

Kandi Backpacks?

32 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, originally I was going to email a few members and see their opinions/ideas on kandi backpacks but figured it could benefit with a thread devoted to discussing different ways to create kandi backpacks.

I've seen two different kinds when looking around google images for inspiration. One looks very box-like and like more of a purse/bookbag than a backpack. The other design I've seen much fewer of but really like how it looks a lot better. I actually first saw this "backpack looking" kandi backpack here on gsc, linked here:

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/-t13988...st&p=274574

Hopefully SparkieSpun is still active on the boards and can share his input on the subject ^_^

Anyway, I've made most of my friends bigger kandi pieces like multi's and cuffs and haven't really had anything to make for a while... but a couple days ago I made Alouette's ladder headband just for fun and have since been thinking of something new to make. I'm going to throw out a couple ideas on how I was thinking of tackling this project, but PLEASE PLEASE contribute to this discussion.. as this is going to be one hell of a piece of kandi to try to make XD

Material:

Instead of stretchy string like I used in my tutorials or clear elastic string, I plan on using Bead Party brand Braiding Cord that I got at walmart... it's similar to the string I use for cuffs/multi's but it doesn't stretch at all. I bought this for kandi necklaces a while back and haven't used much of it at all and it's a very sturdy material so I think it's probably the best option for a backpack.

For the shoulder straps I figure a ladder would work just fine, length would be measured to my own size obviously.. but if anyone who's made one of these before has an estimate bead count for this area it would be helpful :)

Here's the hard part(in my mind). Could the middle section be formed using a multi stitch? I'm looking to make the bottom part of the bag bigger than the top, if that's even possible. <**This is the area I would most like some advice/input**

I figure a peyote stitch could be used for a flat bottom, as well as a flap for the top of the backpack. These could probably be attached to the middle section near the end of construction.

Anyone made one of these or tried making one of these before? Halp!

Hey everyone, originally I was going to email a few members and see their opinions/ideas on kandi backpacks but figured it could benefit with a thread devoted to discussing different ways to create kandi backpacks.

I've seen two different kinds when looking around google images for inspiration. One looks very box-like and like more of a purse/bookbag than a backpack. The other design I've seen much fewer of but really like how it looks a lot better. I actually first saw this "backpack looking" kandi backpack here on gsc, linked here:

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/-t13988...st&p=274574

Hopefully SparkieSpun is still active on the boards and can share his input on the subject ^_^

Anyway, I've made most of my friends bigger kandi pieces like multi's and cuffs and haven't really had anything to make for a while... but a couple days ago I made Alouette's ladder headband just for fun and have since been thinking of something new to make. I'm going to throw out a couple ideas on how I was thinking of tackling this project, but PLEASE PLEASE contribute to this discussion.. as this is going to be one hell of a piece of kandi to try to make XD

Material:

Instead of stretchy string like I used in my tutorials or clear elastic string, I plan on using Bead Party brand Braiding Cord that I got at walmart... it's similar to the string I use for cuffs/multi's but it doesn't stretch at all. I bought this for kandi necklaces a while back and haven't used much of it at all and it's a very sturdy material so I think it's probably the best option for a backpack.

For the shoulder straps I figure a ladder would work just fine, length would be measured to my own size obviously.. but if anyone who's made one of these before has an estimate bead count for this area it would be helpful :)

Here's the hard part(in my mind). Could the middle section be formed using a multi stitch? I'm looking to make the bottom part of the bag bigger than the top, if that's even possible. <**This is the area I would most like some advice/input**

I figure a peyote stitch could be used for a flat bottom, as well as a flap for the top of the backpack. These could probably be attached to the middle section near the end of construction.

Anyone made one of these or tried making one of these before? Halp!

I have yet to make a backpack..... however i have had a design in mind for quite a while.... i THINK the sturdiest design would be a peyote stitch possible for the whole thing..... lemme think on that one though.... i would need a couple of days to do so.... i think you should talk to sparkie most definitely.... i think you could really benefit from talking to him about it! good luck, if ya feel like it you can message me on aim @ florasunshine26..... two heads are better than one, maybe if we brainstormed we could come up with something!

My kandi skills aren't up to par like the both of you. But when you figure this out, make a tutorial and show all of us :)

Can't wait to see it all come together.

I think a peyote stitch would work better too. Especially if your design is more picture oriented if you know what I mean. I have come to learn that I love the peyote stitch more then any of the other ones because it stretches less (which stinks for bracelets and what not, cause then they don't fit and they have to be perfect size =P) But my next project is going to be a bag. :D

But I bet it'll take me forever to make, since I never have time. I also use beading cord instead of elastic cord for all my kandi making because it is much more sturdy, but I remember someone once using the square looking string to make a bag. Dunno, but I hope it works out for you, whatever you do :P

I have yet to make a backpack..... however i have had a design in mind for quite a while.... i THINK the sturdiest design would be a peyote stitch possible for the whole thing..... lemme think on that one though.... i would need a couple of days to do so.... i think you should talk to sparkie most definitely.... i think you could really benefit from talking to him about it! good luck, if ya feel like it you can message me on aim @ florasunshine26..... two heads are better than one, maybe if we brainstormed we could come up with something!

Ya before I start I want to have a mental picture of the colors and exact layout/design. I sent an email on these boards to sparkiespun so hopefully he'll make an appearance in this thread lol ;)

Unfortunately I don't have an Instant Messenger but that doesn't mean we can't discuss things here :D

I think if I did the 2 string peyote stitch it would probably be a little stronger than a multi stitch, but do you honestly think it will make that big of a difference? I'll be using a non-stretchy Braiding Cord that is considerably thicker/sturdier than most kandi material, and I figure if I use long enough strands it should all hold together very well. I could be wrong though, that's why I decided to post the thread and ask for advice xD

I think a peyote stitch would work better too. Especially if your design is more picture oriented if you know what I mean. I have come to learn that I love the peyote stitch more then any of the other ones because it stretches less (which stinks for bracelets and what not, cause then they don't fit and they have to be perfect size =P) But my next project is going to be a bag. :D

But I bet it'll take me forever to make, since I never have time. I also use beading cord instead of elastic cord for all my kandi making because it is much more sturdy, but I remember someone once using the square looking string to make a bag. Dunno, but I hope it works out for you, whatever you do :P

I don't really need to worry about the stretchy factor since I plan on using the Braiding Cord... otherwise I would agree with your peyote stitch arguement. My bag probably won't be picture heavy as much as colorful and patterned... and I've done pretty much every pattern you could think of with multis so I feel I might be more successful doing it this way.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out though.. is there any way to make the bottom of the backpack wider than at the top? I've tried imagining stitching a peyote to a multi to form the middle section, but I can't wrap my mind around how to actually do it (without having the pieces in front of me to do trial and error). Should I just plan on having the entire middle section 1 width?

There is a way to make kandi triangles (similar to peyote; see kandikini tutorial), so if you wanted to have it at a 45degree angle on the sides it might be easiest. I'm not sure how you would do any other angle of slope though, or the best way to connect the front panel. I would test it out but I'm shit at making large things.. I get bored and the payoff isn't that great imo.

I have plans for an "epic" pokemon/mudkip bag though. It will take a lot of beads and time.

Also peyote vs multi- I haven't noticed a huge difference; the only one being multis are done "in the round" so to speak and peyotes you can make parts and attach later, allowing for panels/sides instead of semi-flat like a multi would end up. I would say multis are slightly more secure in that respect, less to fall off. I am not very good with peyote stitch though, maybe I'm biased. :]

alright, to start, i'm sorry i'm just getting to this!!! ^_^' i meant to do it right away!!! secondly, i haven't read any of the other posts. by doing so, these are just my opinions and may or may not contradict and stuff.

as far as string, i've always loved Rat-tail Rayon. Joann Fabrics has it cheap that you can buy however much or little you need. i dunno why i love it, but it's sleek, strong, and just my favorite for that type of stuff.

ladder would work, and you could play with it for some fun design. but you could also use a multi i'm sure too. multi would be more sturdy to be honest, so just one thing to think about.

hmm... tappering it with a multi stitch... i tried figuring this out once but couldn't really. you'll have to look at the other comments (remember, i haven't looked at them :P )

haven't done much with peyote stitches, but i'm sure that'd work fine with what i know :P

just read all the other ideas. seems like it's a very open idea, and i think trial and error is what it's going to take. i totally wanna try and make something more epic now, i have yet to make anything too major :P feel free to aim me or message me anytime you want: goaliegeek667

alright, to start, i'm sorry i'm just getting to this!!! ^_^' i meant to do it right away!!! secondly, i haven't read any of the other posts. by doing so, these are just my opinions and may or may not contradict and stuff.

as far as string, i've always loved Rat-tail Rayon. Joann Fabrics has it cheap that you can buy however much or little you need. i dunno why i love it, but it's sleek, strong, and just my favorite for that type of stuff.

ladder would work, and you could play with it for some fun design. but you could also use a multi i'm sure too. multi would be more sturdy to be honest, so just one thing to think about.

hmm... tappering it with a multi stitch... i tried figuring this out once but couldn't really. you'll have to look at the other comments (remember, i haven't looked at them :P )

haven't done much with peyote stitches, but i'm sure that'd work fine with what i know :P

just read all the other ideas. seems like it's a very open idea, and i think trial and error is what it's going to take. i totally wanna try and make something more epic now, i have yet to make anything too major :P feel free to aim me or message me anytime you want: goaliegeek667

I'd like to IM with a few of you guys but I only get to use my roommates laptop to browse forums, my comp broke a while ago so I'm out of commission instant-messenger-wise

I think the biggest problem I'm facing is connecting the base and top-flap (which I'll probably end up making using the peyote stitch and leaving it flat as a square/rectangle).... any ideas concerning this area?

EDIT: You should totally start a backpack too Arius, that way we can work on it together :D I'm starting the multi-stitch midsection tonight... phase 1 begins xD

i need tons of beads for that, and i don't have that many :P same with string, i only have a few packs of 10 yards. and i'm in the process of fixing my airsoft gun, which is gunna be costly >.<

Requesting moar poasts!

I think the biggest problem I'm facing is connecting the base and top-flap... any ideas?

Requesting moar poasts!

Okay do you know how to do a rosette stitch? Some thing like that is PERFECT for the base. as for the top flap i still suggest a peyote stitch because like meowfishie said the triangles can be strung together, the kandikini is a peyote stitch as well. i will TRY to get some stuff together to send you an example but i can't guarantee anything.... i still have to go to work and then come home and die.... lol

Okay do you know how to do a rosette stitch? Some thing like that is PERFECT for the base. as for the top flap i still suggest a peyote stitch because like meowfishie said the triangles can be strung together, the kandikini is a peyote stitch as well. i will TRY to get some stuff together to send you an example but i can't guarantee anything.... i still have to go to work and then come home and die.... lol

Umm I don't think I'm familiar with a rosette stitch, but from the sound of it I'd definitely like to learn xD As for the triangles/kandikini's - I haven't ever made these either so I'm not really sure how to tie stuff off at an angle.. any advice in that area would be cool too

No rush though flora, I understand what it's like being busy :) I started the mid-section a couple nights ago but I can already tell it's going to be quite a bit before I finish it and start on the other pieces lol :D I did decide to go with a multi-stitch for the middle, so hopefully the rosette stitch you referred to can attach to it at the base

Moar discussion!! gogogo!

Update: I worked on the mid-section allll last night after I got off work and allll day today too, it's nearly finished :D I want to start work on the bottom next.. and I'm still not sure exactly how I'm going to do it so I could use some help :)

I can load some pics of what I have so far if you guys want, maybe we can figure out how to attach a top and bottom easier that way.. I'll check back in a little while, gotta eat x_x

Kinda sucks that there's 160+ views on this thread and 6 of the posts are mine.

I don't know any of the fancy stitch names, I based it off a multi. Started with one bead and built out using a multi stitch, then just kept going around. Mine is made with 30lb Fishing line for the actual bag part. Ladder stitch for the straps

I'm working on one with just ladder stitch. I'll post pics as I get closer to getting it done.

if you have MSN add me and say you're from GSC I'll help you out; shadobynder@hotmail.com

I don't know any of the fancy stitch names, I based it off a multi. Started with one bead and built out using a multi stitch, then just kept going around. Mine is made with 30lb Fishing line for the actual bag part. Ladder stitch for the straps

I'm working on one with just ladder stitch. I'll post pics as I get closer to getting it done.

if you have MSN add me and say you're from GSC I'll help you out; shadobynder@hotmail.com

Ya I made the middle of my bag as a giant multi too, but I've been stuck since then because I'm not sure how I can make a top/bottom and connect them to the multi... how did you do it?

its all the same stitch, I'll upload some pics

Can you explain how you made the top/bottom then? I've had the midsection finished for a couple days now and still can't decide the best way to finish it

Can't wait to see some new pics of it :D

Sorry pics are taking a while, comp likes to be a dick. If you based your concept on pannels and connecting them, you can just sorta 'sew' them together. The top of mine if very poorly done, due to the haste in which I did it, totally wasn't thought out.

Since this thread mostly consists of me talking to myself, a mod can remove it whenever they feel like it

I tried deleting it myself but I don't think I'm able xD

...ya

Since this thread mostly consists of me talking to myself, a mod can remove it whenever they feel like it

I tried deleting it myself but I don't think I'm able xD

...ya

I dont plan on deleting this only because people might have the same questions you do.....

OUt of curiousity, did you ever get the backpack done? If not lemme finish earring piece and i will take some picture tutorials within the next couple of days to help with some of the issues..... lemme know dz