Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guinto

Performance review [Video]

46 posts in this topic

I'd like to talk about it here. :biggrin2:

At any of these open mic things you've posted or the other college vids you've posted is there any point in time your explaining anything about anything to the people or is it just you getting up on stage and stringing? I'm just curious how these things work.

I'd like to know to. Actually, I'd like to see footage of you explaining to people about the culture and such. Because, honestly....it does look like you're making yourself look pretty and thats it, no offense.

I'd like to talk about it here. :biggrin2:

At any of these open mic things you've posted or the other college vids you've posted is there any point in time your explaining anything about anything to the people or is it just you getting up on stage and stringing? I'm just curious how these things work.

It's basically going on stage and stringing.

err

it just seems like youre showing off then, the only difference from this and high school would be that youre doing it infront of a college audience instead.

college students tend to be more mature about things rather than the average high schooler

try explaining the culture behind glowsticking for a moment before you do it?

err

it just seems like youre showing off then, the only difference from this and high school would be that youre doing it infront of a college audience instead.

college students tend to be more mature about things rather than the average high schooler

try explaining the culture behind glowsticking for a moment before you do it?

Could you suggest something for me to say please? Because I do not know what parts of the culture I should talk about to the audience.

1:10 and 1:30. Try doing those continuously left and right- it seems like you're keeping those butterfly crossers on one side. I know the transition is funky but unless you're gonna combo that into a hybrid it seems very undeveloped.

The dual butterfly stalls were definitely something that stuck out to me. I liked those. Work on them.

The rest.... was just amazing. Keep it up. :icon_clap:

i'd just mention that we dont condone battling, or worry about who is best at it

along with why we dont try and spread it in high school, but are okay with it at college

Could you suggest something for me to say please? Because I do not know what parts of the culture I should talk about to the audience.

You bring up a good point. I do make sure that after my performance, I tell everyone the basic things about it with the culture and there hasn't been anyone yet that I've talked to that has mentioned ecstacy or anything.

^^ You said that in the video thread you posted when you first were stringing in college......so..uhh....you do know what to talk about.

1:10 and 1:30. Try doing those continuously left and right- it seems like you're keeping those butterfly crossers on one side. I know the transition is funky but unless you're gonna combo that into a hybrid it seems very undeveloped.

Thanks, I didn't notice that before. I had just started messing around with that move, but I'll make sure to make it so it seems more developed.

i'd just mention that we dont condone battling, or worry about who is best at it

along with why we dont try and spread it in high school, but are okay with it at college

I know I could say that, but how does that benefit the audience at all? Because just stating the three don'ts of GSC will more than likely go in one ear and out the other for most of the audience because they are likely not going to start glowsticking. The people that that specific information would be relevant to, would be the ones who are interested enough in what I do to want to start. Those are the people who I talk to afterwards and make sure to point in the direction of GSC.

Vids pretty sick but got kind of repetitive. It seems to need better combos, the btb stuff was sick but lacked flow. The duo's need to be worked on a bit ex. not be so tight since you use a longer string setup there's a crazy amount of possibility you can do. The poi was good kind of random at moments. Pretty good for being straight on the spot. Peace

Thanks, I didn't notice that before. I had just started messing around with that move, but I'll make sure to make it so it seems more developed.

I know I could say that, but how does that benefit the audience at all? Because just stating the three don'ts of GSC will more than likely go in one ear and out the other for most of the audience because they are likely not going to start glowsticking. The people that that specific information would be relevant to, would be the ones who are interested enough in what I do to want to start. Those are the people who I talk to afterwards and make sure to point in the direction of GSC.

When you talk to the Audience.. you have to look and sound like you know what your talking about....

Come on man.. your in college.. uv had to take a speech class..

even if the info comes out or in the ears.... your still sending out the message..

If you Really know about our culture you should know this.

you sure your in college???....

maybe act like it?

Your starting to Sound like Another Joe.."last Singularity"

When you talk to the Audience.. you have to look and sound like you know what your talking about....

Come on man.. your in college.. uv had to take a speech class..

even if the info comes out or in the ears.... your still sending out the message..

If you Really know about our culture you should know this.

you sure your in college???....

maybe act like it?

Your starting to Sound like Another Joe.."last Singularity"

I have taken a speech class, and being nervous about talking to the audience is not a problem. I was just saying that I do tell the people that need it (the future glowstickers that talk to me afterwards).

I'm not sure what you mean by associating me with "last Singularity" if that has a bad connotation or not, and I am fine with debating and discussion about anything, but please try not to just insult me when I have only stated my opinion. If I've insulted you or anyone else I'm sorry and didn't mean to and I hope you try not to insult me when giving your opinions as well.

What about the people who aren't future glowstickers? The rest of the audience won't be hurt by a little education right? Open Mic right. Mic is short for microphone right? That hasn't changed over the years has it. You could talk about what ever you wanted if you choose 2 right?

hmmm, your right Cleric. I guess i've just been thinking about it the wrong way. It wouldn't hurt if I told everyone, thanks for putting it so bluntly.

Thats awesome. I can't wait to see the next open mic or college vid with the speech included at the beginning. That way all the people on youtube can see it and maybe learn something also.

You don't have to focus on the things gsc doesn't condone. There are a lot of ways you can present information to people and plenty of information worth presenting. There are a lot of misconceptions and stereotypes people have about glowsticking and that's the perfect opportunity to address them and give people a new understanding.

You don't have to say "we're against battling" ... you can say that glowsticking is a non-competitive art form trying to gain recognition as an alternative dance style that originated amongst people who value peace, love, unity and respect. For contrast, you can mention bboy and popping battles and talk about the differences in the two cultures the dance styles originated in.

There are a lot of ways you can phrase things and still present people with good information.

I have taken a speech class, and being nervous about talking to the audience is not a problem. I was just saying that I do tell the people that need it (the future glowstickers that talk to me afterwards).

I'm not sure what you mean by associating me with "last Singularity" if that has a bad connotation or not, and I am fine with debating and discussion about anything, but please try not to just insult me when I have only stated my opinion. If I've insulted you or anyone else I'm sorry and didn't mean to and I hope you try not to insult me when giving your opinions as well.

dont mean to,

just been arguing with stupid people....that dont understand why there are rules that keep this culture alive.....

Could name alot of Examples but not going to... to not insult anyone...

Thats awesome. I can't wait to see the next open mic or college vid with the speech included at the beginning. That way all the people on youtube can see it and maybe learn something also.

Now THAT would be an interesting video. Don't think I've seen or even heard of anything like that before...

would've liked to see some airwraps and other tangles. the "hybrid" you were doing at the endish looks better when the inside poi is isolated. also, more hybrids.

edit: also! do more flowers. you only did the antispin one that i saw. butterfly flowers are super pretty and polyrythem flowers are neat as well..

dont mean to,

just been arguing with stupid people....that dont understand why there are rules that keep this culture alive.....

Could name alot of Examples but not going to... to not insult anyone...

I understand, can be stressful trying to talk to people sometimes. Also if you see anything that I could improve upon, the critique would be much appreciated. :D

would've liked to see some airwraps and other tangles. the "hybrid" you were doing at the endish looks better when the inside poi is isolated. also, more hybrids.

edit: also! do more flowers. you only did the antispin one that i saw. butterfly flowers are super pretty and polyrythem flowers are neat as well..

I like antispin too, I'll keep that in mind as well as your other suggestion and try to put some of that in, I haven't been doing butterfly flowers lately for some reason. Thanks for the help dude.

I understand, can be stressful trying to talk to people sometimes. Also if you see anything that I could improve upon, the critique would be much appreciated. :D

Try some manip's.. i posted it before.

Try some manip's.. i posted it before.

HA! silly me. You're right.