Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guinto

Performance review [Video]

46 posts in this topic

Alright here's the plan.

I performed at my open mic night at Cal Poly SLO last night. And it would be a good idea for something I've wanted to do.

I want to be critiqued in a way similar to how peer editing for an english essay works. Tell me what you think I did wrong, what I can leave out, add, work on, basically show me my faults and weaknesses or suggest something you would have like to have seen. So try to keep the praise down and the criticisms high.

Example: I would have liked to have seen more single stalls, would have been a good instead of only doing duo stalls all the time.

(I've thought that by critiquing other writers it has helped me improve myself as a writer as my peer who's paper I was editing. Maybe we can all improve in the same way here).

Aside from the fact that it was an awesome vid.... lol

I'd say work on smoothing out your freehand moves and maybe learn a few more to use as transitions.

amazing.

i love watching yur vids.

i have nothin bad to say

everthing was smooth and nice

=]

Were you the one using the flowlights in the quad by the bookstore? I saw some sticks flying while I was getting starbucks.

wow that was intense lol fantastic performance. um, since u really want some critique, nothing bad to say but maybe add some more neckwrap combos? and the butterfly buzzsaw thing fell apart at some minor points but i'm guessing it was just flukes cuz u seem to have everything down very smooth and well put together. Btw i'm so jealous of ur BTB wrap skills aha.

id have to say work on the transitions from stringing to poi, because it seems like there is a gap between them and they dont really work togther. if you know what im getting at. i think you should work on expanding your duowrap combos so that its not just little ones on your arms but also ones that wrap your legs, neck and such.

Were you the one using the flowlights in the quad by the bookstore? I saw some sticks flying while I was getting starbucks.

That wasn't me, but I've spun with a guy who uses flowtoys, and you go here?? why have you never told me that! (or were you here for open house?)

I'm hopefully going in the fall! I was here for open house. Promise I'll let you know when I'm in town.

I like the Poi Moves.

Would like to see more Manip's,

You have the power since your strings are longer than mine "27;s"

Thanks for all the ideas!

I'd say work on smoothing out your freehand moves and maybe learn a few more to use as transitions.

um, since u really want some critique, nothing bad to say but maybe add some more neckwrap combos?

I like the idea of more neck wraps, I think I may underuse them as well as under the leg stuff.

id have to say work on the transitions from stringing to poi, because it seems like there is a gap between them and they dont really work togther. if you know what im getting at. i think you should work on expanding your duowrap combos so that its not just little ones on your arms but also ones that wrap your legs, neck and such.

I'll work on the transitions more, as well as the duowraps. (I do tend to do poi for long periods of time and then do stringing for a little.) I'll work on mixing it up a bit more.

Would like to see more Manip's,

You have the power since your strings are longer than mine "27;s"

Although im not much of a manip man, I think your right. Would be good to know some, add some more variety to my move set.

Thanks for the comments keep em comin!

your poi is there, it looks amazing

i saw a few combos that looked really similar to ange's old stuff if that means anything to you.

as amazing as the poi is, i'd love to see more glowsticking/wrap/manip based stuff

get creative with it

I always love watching your videos but I'm gonna have to go with wraps, I would love to see a lot more wrap combos :)

Love your vids Guinto. Critique eh?

hmmm, Id like to see some more wrap based combos, and mixing those into your smooth routines. Do you do crossers often? And Manips like others have said :) although dont go overboard with those. Im not a fan of watching someone do a string manipulation for 30 seconds :P

You should try some one handed stringing. That could be a challenge. Awesome job yet again. More vids please :)

i can no longer call my self a raver. that was a vision of god right there :dope . i do wish that you had done some more stalls, maybe some more singles and some more leg wraps

Things that you could possibly work on:

Learn more wrap combos, traces, manips, etc..

Work on your speed.. Really fast looks cool to most people but it gets old after awhile. Try varying it up. Go fast and then go medium or slow and then go back to fast again..

hey Guinto nice! man i like it when you spin and do weaves or wall planes! Hey im going to perform at my open mic night as well its on 5/8/09 so ya... haha hey i have a question... have you been to BAM b4?... (Bay Area Missions)

hey Guinto nice! man i like it when you spin and do weaves or wall planes! Hey im going to perform at my open mic night as well its on 5/8/09 so ya... haha hey i have a question... have you been to BAM b4?... (Bay Area Missions)

I have not, what is it?

Work on your speed.. Really fast looks cool to most people but it gets old after awhile. Try varying it up. Go fast and then go medium or slow and then go back to fast again..

Agreed, but at the same time, don't stop dancing with the music. I got 25 seconds into the video and I already knew that I was going to like it just becase you moved with the music and the music moved you. Play around with your speed, just don't forget to keep on dancing.

Watch the repetitive stuff- windmill into spiral

Watch also how when you do extensions and other poi-esque moves you move a lot more. You dance, but when you start the wrap combos your feet tend to stand still and you enter into the frozen statue mode. Keep the movement and keep that energy going even though you're doing difficult wrap combos.

Agreed, but at the same time, don't stop dancing with the music. I got 25 seconds into the video and I already knew that I was going to like it just becase you moved with the music and the music moved you. Play around with your speed, just don't forget to keep on dancing.

Watch the repetitive stuff- windmill into spiral

Watch also how when you do extensions and other poi-esque moves you move a lot more. You dance, but when you start the wrap combos your feet tend to stand still and you enter into the frozen statue mode. Keep the movement and keep that energy going even though you're doing difficult wrap combos.

Thanks for the advice, I tend to go so quickly during performances both because I get excited and the music is usually quicker paced. And I like how you noticed that about my wraps. I'll practice dancing more when I do the more stringing based stuff :D

I loved your performance overall, your speed pretty much blew me away and all your poi moves.

What I wanted to comment on though was that I didn't like where you did it. Open Mic night? I mean... i am sure you did it for yourself, but it kinda just came off like you were showing off. You can string anywhere, why do it at an open mic night? Even though its college, unless you were teaching everyone about the culture which maybe i just didn't see, even then i would have rather it been done with no there =X.

I performed at my open mic night at Cal Poly SLO last night. And it would be a good idea for something I've wanted to do.

I want to be critiqued in a way similar to how peer editing for an english essay works. Tell me what you think I did wrong, what I can leave out, add, work on, basically show me my faults and weaknesses or suggest something you would have like to have seen. So try to keep the praise down and the criticisms high.

Unless all of those people who were watching are glowstickers, dont see how anyone else other then us could affectively Criticize. Just my take though =X

Maybe it's just me though haha

I loved your performance overall, your speed pretty much blew me away and all your poi moves.

What I wanted to comment on though was that I didn't like where you did it. Open Mic night? I mean... i am sure you did it for yourself, but it kinda just came off like you were showing off. You can string anywhere, why do it at an open mic night?

I love glowstringing. The reason for open mic nights are to show other people in your dorm what your passions are, as well as have them come together in a friendly environment. I wasn't promoting myself for business or my pride or anything. I simply love performing and I know the people attending enjoy seeing different performances including singing, poetry, rapping, dancing(glowstringing), etc.

I can see how you might feel uncomfortable about me doing it in a public place, knowing that GSC stands behind the "No highschool, No battles, No money" which have all good reasons behind them. I however did not perform in any of those distasteful ways. I was just another artist/performer on the stage relaying my passion to my fellow college mates.

I also do not want to turn another thread into a debate, so if would like to talk to me about it please send me a pm or talk to me on aim. My screen name is ellingsent, I am always online, either on my comp or on my phone so just hit me up if you want to talk, thanks! :D

I'd like to talk about it here. :biggrin2:

At any of these open mic things you've posted or the other college vids you've posted is there any point in time your explaining anything about anything to the people or is it just you getting up on stage and stringing? I'm just curious how these things work.