Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark LED

Which do you integrate first and why?

16 posts in this topic

Do you think about what is purely "freehand" first and try to integrate other dances into your freehanding or do you prefer to supplement freehand into other dance styles?

Correct me if this just sounds like a "what is freehand?" question, but I'm curious which people consider more important if you want to present yourself as a freehander than a person who just happens to have glowsticks in their hands while their dancing at the same time.

This is how I look at it. Freehanding is an art, a form of dance. The sticks come first, then move your body apropriately to the sticks. You are glowsticking, so in my opinion, the sticks come first.

my method involves many things that look like martial arts moves. i integrate my martial arts experiance into it, so i include a lot of body movement, but with the sticks as the focus

I think I do more supplementing freehanding with other styles of dance. Freehanding itself has a certain set of movements that you follow because it's the nature of the stick. How many other different styles of dancing have you seen where the nature of the style depends on the illumination of the object aside from the light related dances listed on the forums?

It's like incorporating any other style of dance with another; you bring the other dances into what you are presenting.

I dont really have a certain dance style so I would say freehand came first for me. Once I got the flow I was able to move more with the sticks. Hope that makes some sense at least...

I started with the freehand, learned how to use the sticks, then I tried to add some flow.

Tutting was the first thing that really popped up to me, moving the sticks in right angles, and in odd patterns seemed very fluid and was brought into my freehanding.

Then liquid appeared and the idea of making the glowsticks seem connected by an invisible force was integrated into my freehanding.

I'm still new though, so I need to stay on these two before I try to bring any other styles of dance into my freehanding.

I have different dance styles based on the genre of music. I would say all forms of dance eventually help in some way to each of the individual dance styles.

i try and mix some poping into my sticking. i feel it adds alot of flavor hitting beats while sticking.

also tryand do it with my tuts. threading is getting there

I started just using different fig8 variations and liquid type moves - some of my practice time is without sticks at all. I also trying to add more moves variations on beat. The last time i chilled with TK he showed me some of his face traces and helicopter variations so i've been trying to add that in as well.

i'm really trying to do move with the rest of my body - not just sticks not just arms but bringing the whole thing together

I seperate the freehand I do into two very seperate styles--

Stuff I would do in dance circles, and stuff I would do for lightshows.

Hmm I usually do glowsticking to vocal trance music, hence why my style is mainly flowing moves such as tracing and threading as opposed to throws and stalls.

I start with the freehand aspect first, and then incorporate the dancing. Why? Because i'm really not a very good dancer to begin with. So the motion and flow that come from freehanding guides my body into the dancing aspect.

Guest Taran

i always felt that the beauty of freehanding was its versatility and lack of a strict definition. there are the basics like figure eights and traces but really everybody does them differently. so i think that freehanding would be incorporating any dance you feel comfortable with to make the glowsticking run in equal comfort.

personally i cant allign my dancing with any specific form but i am studying different dances to see how it will develop my freehanding if at all =p

For me, it's all about the music. If it's hardcore (hhc, dnb), I'll be more prone to doing flashy 'big' moves, but it's is some slow or chill music (melodic trance) I'll do more tracing and liquiding.

Its always been glowsticking first as opposed to what type of "dance"

I mean, once when I was told to pick up sign language, I even thought about how that might apply to my glowsticking lol.

As Ono said, the sticks come first. I'm very pattern oriented. I'll start off by visualizing in my mind what patterns might look good, then I'll go and apply it in reality. If the pattern ends up being dope enough to keep, then I'll see what other body motions might help to further accentuate the pattern. I find this very hard to do though when applying it to lower body tracing. My legs aren't dance friendly yet.

I seperate the freehand I do into two very seperate styles--

Stuff I would do in dance circles, and stuff I would do for lightshows.

And there is this. I've learned that people generally dislike complex toss combos in a personal lightshow. I'll just do a quick uta toss or a double handstall for that. But body tracing and isos are definite keepers when "preying on the weak," as Cleric so eloquently stated.