Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigology

Being a dj

6 posts in this topic

lol me and epic soup want to be dj's one day. and does anybody have any good advice that can help us get started??? plus a good dj name. like a duo name for me and soup

As I stated in the OTHER thread that you're ALSO asking for a name:

[quuote]In all honesty, it's going to be a name that you'll be using for a while. I don't think that's something you should be leaving up to others to pick for you. Pick something that means more than anything to the both of you. If you agree on it, then keep it. If you don't then keep trying.

As for advice, learn to beat match and mix in harmony; after that the tricks and effects you learn are usually just through trial and error.

Well as far as a name goes, can't really help you there. If it's the name you guys will want and stick with, then it will just come to you, kind of like a good rave name haha. I was dubbed The Professor at my first rave and, wow, I love it.

As far as DJing goes you should just work on beat-matching like most beginning DJs do. Try getting your hands on a full version of VirtualDJ or some other mixing program. You can get a trial version of Virtual DJ from their site: http://www.virtualdj.com/

All the cool effects, tricks, etc. come later on but in my opinion the most basic matching of the beats is important.

If you are going to get decks then I personally would say get some CD decks. I don't know too much about DJing but i've heard the cd decks are cheaper and a lot better for someone who doesn't know the extent of how far they want to go in DJing. Plus, vinyl can get expensive, and hard to come by.

well that's just my two cents >_< if there are any more experience people with DJing correct anything I said if necessary please =)

Well DJ Epic Soup would be pretty cool and funny to see and hear be said! As for you i dunnooo... it'll come soon or later.

My number one advice to you is to listen to a lot of music! :)

*posted in previous topic*

ok....where to start indeed.....*once, needs to listen to music for this...*

*lights cigarette*

so, djing.....

before i started Djing, or even messing around making my own beats, i thought that DJs were the people that took beat tracks, and mixed in vocals and other sounds.....

for lack of better words, i KNEW NOTHING....lol

luckily, i had a friend that i met through events with my glowsticking, and i asked stupid questions, like, "where do you get the beat noise from?" and other things that depicted my newb-ness...

and from there, i would go over to his house, brew a pot of coffe in the morning, and we would just bang out rtacks in his basement all day.

practice makes perfect.

your not going to get it (in most cases) right away. it will take you a while to be able to match up the beats, even with a BPM counter.(but it does make it easier.)

suggested equipment:

-CDJ's (i learned on Stanton's C-304s, far from industry standards, like the pioneer 1000's, but a sturdy, durable, well constructed deck good for beginning on.

i wouldn't recommend that you go with any cheaper decks, because of the wear and tear that you'll put on them in your practice sessions, and if they break(and they will) you'll just be upset, and have to buy new ones, which only means more money in the long run.

-MIXER

a 2-line mixer will fufill the needs of any starter DJ, but 4-line mixers give the viability of other options, such as having 2 CDJs, and two vinyl, or four deck set.....COMPLETELY UN-NECESSARY for the beginning enthusiast.

American Audio has cheap mixers that (from what i've heard, are pretty durable) in the range of $80 up to $500.....the pick is up to you.

-CD-Rs.....i recommend using cd's over using Serato, at least in the beginning. sure, serato ROCKS, and is way more convenient then having to create a playlist, nd burn them to CDs, and then worry about them getting scratched, yada yada yada.....but, if your only getting started, and your not sure the extent of your involvement of DJing, it is a costly investment. ALSO, Serato requires a pretty nice laptop. not saying you can't use a desktop, but that severely cuts down portability. the chances that you have a laptop that can simply burn a CD compared to one that can keep up with serato....well you get the picture.

-HEADPHONES

a GOOD pair while help alot with recognizing the down-beats of a song. (we'll get to that later)

i would recommend a pair of HED CANDY head phones, or BOOSTED head phones, both have there own web site, just look them up on google, im sure you will find them. HED candy recognizes 40-18000 hertz, which your would ensure that you would hear most if not all of the sound coming from your tracks. but if you're a bit obsessive, the Boosted headphones are the way to go, being they register sounds from 30-27000 hertz. this is WELL beyond the hearing capacity of the human ear, which, with the right OHM impedance, will almost guarantee loss-less sound in playback. if you can't afford the expensive brand of head phones, just look at the packaging to see what the OHM impedance(i can't for the life of me remember what the average is, i think around +-30....maybe) and what the freq. register is.

*lights another cigarette, and contemplates quitting smoking*

-TIME

you will need alot of it.

so pointers....

1)a PLETHORA of tracks. you can NEVER have too many tracks when your just starting out. i would recommend, to start out, bang out house music. any kind of music will do of course, but i find that house, electro house, and other house-based music has a more defined 4-on the floor base note, sitting around 120-135 BPM, that makes standard styles of mixing easier to learn, like standard break fades, to beat matchs over vocals.

B)for the sake of practice, start out with tracks that have minimal to no vocals. AS ALWAYS, you can mix what you want, but i find that the tracks with out vocals in them, especially vocals that run through the whole track are easier to mix, being as you don't have to worry about two sets of vocals over-lapping. true, sometimes, if done right, vocal overlaps can sound cool, but this is a more difficult transition to make.

2) THE DOWN BEAT. if you can't find the down beat in a given track, there are ways that can help you find them.

b)when the song starts, try and pin-point the first bass note that you hear.....the really heavy one. this will, more than likely, be the FIRST COUNT IN THE MEASURE. from hear, play it by ear, and let the track play, hwile counting in your head, "....1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4...." while staying in beat.

for some people, this will come naturally, if you have that innate sense of rhythm. for others, this can be very difficult. practice it, because when first stating out it will be your easiest way to match the beat.

if you try practicing this, and still can quite get the hang of it, there is another way. this is a more visual way. start up a track, and set you EQs (the high, mid, and low knobs) so in play back, the track is not distorted. make sure your gain(the knob located above the EQ) is not set to high. depending on how loud you're able to play your music, it's upto you. when you turn up the line volume, you will see (if your mixer has it) the LEDs start to pulsate. if you watch them for a moment, you will notice a pattern. and that pattern will follow the 4 notes in the baseline. from there, just count. ....1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4... this will also help with your rhythm, so if you can't have the volume up, you can do an audio count in your head.

*stares at the computer*

i need to go to bed......it's REALLLLLY early.....