Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlamite

Chaos, Dice, and God.

13 posts in this topic

This is something I've thought about and have been fascinated by for the last couple years. Honestly it's probably been longer. Contrary to what many determinists believe I think everything is unpredictable. It has to do with the whims of the parties involved, whether sentient, plant, or energy. If you take all of these for account there doesn't seem to be any realistic way to count moves, so to speak. Unless you were omniscient. Then it would have to include every other possible route everything could take in different time lines/dimensions.. You see where I'm going with this. So unless you could create an algorithm for unpredictability/chaos there's no hope.

That brings me to the weird coincidences that seem to happen with many. You could say it's God (as in divine intervention) or that it was random. Most would rather believe in providence and something supernatural having a hand in it. I, on the other hand, think everything is 'God'. Every second of every day we are constantly shifting this pattern, one we may discern or prepare for if we are conscious enough of it to do so. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced these. I'll give an example: one day a friend and I were on a country road. One of the tires blew and we couldn't get a signal. My friend was convinced someone would eventually stop by. I shook my head at the idea, considering where we were, and told him we should push the car. We pushed for about fifteen minutes when we reached a hill. The car began rolling and we had to jump in. At the end of the hill, a little ways away, was a gas station with a tow truck! Things like this are pretty odd and happen to me quite a bit.

So what do you guys think? Similar situations, explanations, opinions?

First off, this would do much better in Cafe Intellect, not Creative Writing.

Second, Ive also been in those kinds of situations. One of the scariest was when I was driving behind a trailer full of crushed cars. For some reason I thought about the Final Destination movies, and decided to change lanes. No sooner than I was in the next lane, a hood flew off the top of the pile, and landed right where my car had been 10 seconds before.

Another one happened again when I was driving, coming back from Dallas by myself in the middle of the night. I pulled out my phone to call my parents, letting them know I was on my way home, and I accidentally held the green button down, which on my phone at the time, would start a call to 911. As I was explaining it had been an accidental call, I passed an SUV that had just started flipping, with another couple of cars crashed into the median barrier. So I freaked out and explained that something had just happened as I was talking to her, and got her the information she needed to send the paramedics and fire department. It was pretty strange.

Sorry about the misplacement. I just figured since they were random thoughts they didn't really belong in cafe intellect. Just musings and observances.

Another question for the folks out there: has anyone noticed time speeding up?

Time speeding up? Not at all. More than likely, you are hitting one of those points in your life that is exciting, and you are happier than before, which in a psychological time-state, makes things speed up.

god does not play dice.

Very helpful..

That brings me to the weird coincidences that seem to happen with many. You could say it's God (as in divine intervention) or that it was random. Most would rather believe in providence and something supernatural having a hand in it. I, on the other hand, think everything is 'God'. Every second of every day we are constantly shifting this pattern, one we may discern or prepare for if we are conscious enough of it to do so. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced these. I'll give an example: one day a friend and I were on a country road. One of the tires blew and we couldn't get a signal. My friend was convinced someone would eventually stop by. I shook my head at the idea, considering where we were, and told him we should push the car. We pushed for about fifteen minutes when we reached a hill. The car began rolling and we had to jump in. At the end of the hill, a little ways away, was a gas station with a tow truck! Things like this are pretty odd and happen to me quite a bit.

So what do you guys think? Similar situations, explanations, opinions?

I like to believe in the power of thought. Looks like it took place there. :D

god does not play dice.

Clackity clack, Clackity clack!!!

Sorry about the misplacement. I just figured since they were random thoughts they didn't really belong in cafe intellect. Just musings and observances.

Another question for the folks out there: has anyone noticed time speeding up?

I could say that I agree with you about time seeming as if it is going faster. I don't know why, but I do notice the same thing. Does it continue to happen because I think it's happened before? Who knows.

The weird thing is I can talk to random people about this and they all express the same. Sure, the days seem to slink by but at the end of the month they're all like, "DEAR GOD! WHERE IS MY 4/20 DAY?! WHERE DID IT GO!?" And not because of the drugs. Terrence McKenna remarked on this as the acceleration/accumulation of novelty.

Time is relative, as is speed. They both rely on previous comprehensions.

If you are accomplishing less per day than before, it may appear that time is speeding up.

Time is relative, as is speed. They both rely on previous comprehensions.

If you are accomplishing less per day than before, it may appear that time is speeding up.

Usually it's the other way around. And it's not just me, so please explain how so many people seem to feel that time is speeding up, as well.

we feel time is speeding up because we are getting older. each passing second, month and year is a smaller and smaller portion of your total lifespan.

like when you were a kid, it seemed like it took forever for your birthday to come around; now it is just the opposite. thats because when we are young, it takes up a greater portion of your life. just think, when you are two years old, one year is half of the total time you have been alive. when you are 40, it is just a 40th of your total age.

so we take note of this, and we realize that this minute isn't all that different than the last one, and the more minutes you get, the less each one stands out. and after a longer period of time, the hours become indistinguishable.

also, time flies when you are having fun.

we feel time is speeding up because we are getting older. each passing second, month and year is a smaller and smaller portion of your total lifespan.

like when you were a kid, it seemed like it took forever for your birthday to come around; now it is just the opposite. thats because when we are young, it takes up a greater portion of your life. just think, when you are two years old, one year is half of the total time you have been alive. when you are 40, it is just a 40th of your total age.

so we take note of this, and we realize that this minute isn't all that different than the last one, and the more minutes you get, the less each one stands out. and after a longer period of time, the hours become indistinguishable.

Someone needs to watch Waking Life.

Not taking things too literally, but at that rate, wouldn't we believe that time would just blow by? And what happens to our realities at that point? I understand what you are trying to say, but there seems to be a flaw once/if we reach an age when time "would/could/should" go by too fast.

Someone needs to watch Waking Life.

Everyone needs to watch Waking Life. ;D